• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Nexus 6 owners who upgraded to a 6P. Tell us about your battery life. That way, I can hear about personal improvements as all our phones have different battery life based on our use. It's easier to understand if the 6P is better with battery life when I can hear relative experiences.

Let's keep it to N6 Marshmallow time since it's tons better than Lollipop.

Worse. By like 20 minutes. So about 4hrs SOT now.

I'm getting better battery life with the same or even heavier usage. It's not world's different, but it is a noticeable improvement.

I would never go back to the N6. Ever. Nor would I ever recommend it in good concious. It's inferior in every single way to the 6P.

It's also over $200 more expensive, and lacks wireless charging. So not better in every way.

My week-old Note 5 decided to lock me out of my phone

OK so I fixed this. Just in case someone out there has this problem too:

The "backup password" fuckery is a Samsung thing. Of course they'd do something as dumb as this. So even though you have a swipe pattern AND a pin set up through Android, if you use Samsung's fingerprint sensor you HAVE to set up a NEW "backup password" that's completely separate from Android's alternate authentication steps, and this is a full-blown password with a 6 character minimum and number requirement and all that jazz.

Stupid. iPhone does it really simply. You do your fingerprint thing, then if that fails you're instructed to put in your PIN, which you obviously remember much better than some dumbass 6 character password with letters and numbers. Disabled the fingerprint sensor and currently using the swipe pattern.

Had to wipe the phone to factory settings and re-set everything up. Ugh. Not a week old and Samsung's shit is already getting on my nerves.

clav

The "backup password" fuckery is a Samsung thing. Of course they'd do something as dumb as this. So even though you have a swipe pattern AND a pin set up through Android, if you use Samsung's fingerprint sensor you HAVE to set up a NEW "backup password" that's completely separate from Android's alternate authentication steps, and this is a full-blown password with a 6 character minimum and number requirement and all that jazz.

Stupid. iPhone does it really simply. You do your fingerprint thing, then if that fails you're instructed to put in your PIN, which you obviously remember much better than some dumbass 6 character password with letters and numbers. Disabled the fingerprint sensor and currently using the swipe pattern.

Had to wipe the phone to factory settings and re-set everything up. Ugh. Not a week old and Samsung's shit is already getting on my nerves.
Should we boycott Samsung from now on because of your experience, which seems to echo other people's experiences?

this_guy

That is dumb on Samsung's part, but that's also user error.

That is dumb on Samsung's part, but that's also user error.

Oh yeah I forgot to include that part.

I DID set up the password that I forgot, obviously, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use the fingerprint sensor. That's definitely user error on my part.

It's still a terrible idea to require a 6-character password to log into your phone using numbers and letters. That kind of password is for what you need to log into your email or a webpage, not your phone. The whole reason why companies do fingerprint sensors, pattern swipes, PINs, face recognition, etc, etc. is precisely to take the hassle away of having to remember more complex passwords that require a longer amount of time to input. Then Samsung barrels into the scene and demands people do just that.

One other thing that still bothers me is how the Google account credentials as an alternate authentication form never worked. I was clearly signed into my account on my phone, I remember that password since it's my primary one, and I verified it a hundred times. Hell, when I was re-setting up my phone after the wipe those are the credentials I used and it took them no problem. Really don't know what happened there and where the failure was.

Should we boycott Samsung from now on because of your experience, which seems to echo other people's experiences?

I dunno :p Not calling for a boycott, just venting at Samsung's dumb design decisions.

clav

I DID set up the password that I forgot, obviously, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to use the fingerprint sensor. That's definitely user error on my part.

It's still a terrible idea to require a 6-character password to log into your phone using numbers and letters. That kind of password is for what you need to log into your email or a webpage, not your phone. The whole reason why companies do fingerprint sensors, pattern swipes, PINs, face recognition, etc, etc. is precisely to take the hassle away of having to remember more complex passwords that require a longer amount of time to input. Then Samsung barrels into the scene and demands people do just that.

One other thing that still bothers me is how the Google account credentials as an alternate authentication form never worked. I was clearly signed into my account on my phone, I remember that password since it's my primary one, and I verified it a hundred times. Hell, when I was re-setting up my phone after the wipe those are the credentials I used and it took them no problem. Really don't know what happened there and where the failure was.

I dunno :p Not calling for a boycott, just venting at Samsung's dumb design decisions.

I'm tempted to buy a Note 5, but reading about your experience makes me reconsider on buying the Nexus 5X again.

My wife and I just ordered two 64 GB aluminum Nexus 6P phones this past weekend and it looks like they're set to arrive on Friday. Does anybody have a case and/or folio for a Nexus 6P? If so, which one(s) and how well are they working for you?

Nicktendo86

Just got Google now launcher and clock updates, nothing new in changelog. Interesting...

Edit: scratch that, the Google bow launcher has the marshmallow wallpapers!!!

Bloodember

I'm tempted to buy a Note 5, but reading about your experience makes me reconsider on buying the Nexus 5X again.
Its honestly not that big of a deal. He just forgot his password. If your decision is based on that maybe you should reconsider getting a smart phone all together.

Sounds like it's Google's fault for not having their fingerprint API ready for their OEM partners.

sounds terrible and not surprising

TheZink

My wife and I just ordered two 64 GB aluminum Nexus 6P phones this past weekend and it looks like they're set to arrive on Friday. Does anybody have a case and/or folio for a Nexus 6P? If so, which one(s) and how well are they working for you?
I have the Adopted case. It's fine. Nothing special but it works.

I have the Adopted case. It's fine. Nothing special but it works.

Thanks. I was tempted to get the Spigen considering the folio doesn't have a kickstand for some reason, which is half the reason I'd want a folio versus a regular case, but I've read some reviews that said the cutout for the charger isn't big enough. That seems to be an issue for a lot of the early cases, unfortunately. I don't want to spend a ton on a case, but I also don't want one that I have to take off every time I want to charge the phone either.

clav

Its honestly not that big of a deal. He just forgot his password. If your decision is based on that maybe you should reconsider getting a smart phone all together.

No, it's more like Samsung's implementation is not as good as Nexus Imprint, so until Marshmallow is released on other devices, I'd probably not recommend any of the biometrics for Android outside of Nexus.

If your decision is based on that maybe you should reconsider getting a smart phone all together.
That's just mean.

Bloodember

No, it's more like Samsung's implementation is not as good as Nexus Imprint, so until Marshmallow is released on other devices, I'd probably not recommend any of the biometrics for Android outside of Nexus.

That's just mean.
Considering android didnt have fingerprint till 6.0, of course the oems will be different, i wouldnt say worse though, Samsungs implementation works alot better than many others. At least it works outside of just unlocking the phone.

rc213

Nexus 6P Frost, So pretty. It fits pretty much perfect in my hand, So comfortable one handed compared to the Nexus 6.

Right off the bat I keep hitting the power button before tapping the fingerprint sensor.

Now I want everything to unlock/login with fingerprint. Anyone have a list of what apps use the sensor? Hoping Wells Fargo adds it soon or else!

One more question, Anyone know of a good Gallery app? I've been using the one from the OnePlus One on my Nexus 6 cause it's just simple.

TheZink

Thanks. I was tempted to get the Spigen considering the folio doesn't have a kickstand for some reason, which is half the reason I'd want a folio versus a regular case, but I've read some reviews that said the cutout for the charger isn't big enough. That seems to be an issue for a lot of the early cases, unfortunately. I don't want to spend a ton on a case, but I also don't want one that I have to take off every time I want to charge the phone either.
Thats why I bought from google. I figured if they are selling it it should fit correctly

Kevyt

When did you order your Nexus 6p and from where?

I've been waiting a long time from Huawei.... :(

lol

ZeiGxA0.png

CronoShot

What? My estimated arrival is Nov 5-9, but my status is still pending.

Might be the color/storage combo? I got the 64GB Aluminum, which almost seems to be one of the most common. Ordered it on Thursday. Actually, the status went to Processing almost immediately after that.

Jzero

Just re-mapped my fingerprints and my 6P unlocks much more successfully now. I guess I didn't get the right angles the first time.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My T-Mobile Note 5 just got an update that's supposed to make the already awesome battery life better. I checked under the battery setting and now there's a doze like feature in there, so I guess that's what it is. Pretty neat.

Articalys

Speaking of carriers, though, is Verizon playing nice yet with people who need new sim cards for the 5X/6P? Are there any other unlocked Android phones besides those, the 6, and the X Pure, that you can buy standalone and work with their network?

Jigolo

iPhone 6S nand performance is krey 😮

Actually performance overall on it is stellar cuz it still rocks that 720p+ resolution while the chips can easily handle it. On screen performance with most gpu benchmarks are a solid 60. Wish more android manufacturers would do it like this until we're ready for gpus that can handle 4K at 60 fps on screen. Which is why I hope the Nexus 5 2016 still rocks a 1080p oled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom