• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy DJ

The app shortcuts are great, like you mentioned.
The cursor idea is genius.
The potential for gaming is obviously there, it's a whole other button or two that you can press anywhere on the display.
The ability to peak into apps/parts of an app/links/etc... (I like it for links more) is pretty damn useful. The "thumbnails" that pop are are interactable as well so you can get things done quicker.
A way of getting around the OS without any buttons (hard or soft) is paved with 3D touch. in iOS9 there's already a way to get to the app switcher by pressing down hard on the edge. Not sure if there's a way to get to the homescreen from any app but I'm sure it can't be terribly far away.

etc...and this is just first time at bat stuff. A year or two from now I'm sure it'll be doing more.

Yeah the peak feature highlights the potential in the 3D Touch feature. I guess you could argue that it currently serves as a more useful right click but the implementation is what matters. The feature is responsive, fast, and has never failed or accidentally activated in the month that I've owned the 6S. I feel these factors are what separate crap that people never use again to features that are carried forward to successive smartphone models.

With regards to the comments that its basically a long press, the long press just isn't as fast as 3D Touch and I don't see how it can emulate additional/secondary functionality through additional force. The peak + swipe up to hold window and display contextual menu + harder press to bring the window into full focus is perfect for a skim email reader and web browser like me.

Maiar_m

long presses are not the same as 3d touch. Not sure why some people keep saying that.

It's not a gimmick either. It's a feature that will be standard on smartphones and it's a new way of interacting with a mobile OS. Fast forward a little while from now and we'll all be doing it as if it was second nature. The implimentations are straight up useful that I've seen so far. I really don't see why anyone wouldn't want it.

It's no gimmick. Youll appreciate the new UI when it develops. It's fantastic.

Long presses could allow for what peak does (even though it isn't, and of course it doesn't provide all the same features), when pop is most often used as a way to...single click. I do find it gimmicky, I care less about another layer of OS interaction than I care about software optimization and overall UX (real autonomy, unified accounts and back up for apps and settings, continuity-like framework, consistent and regulated design with care for screen sizes, better multitasking etc...). Is it bad or will it stay limited to its present mostly unattractive form? Certainly not, I'm sure you're right when you say it's going to be great and natural in the years to come. I just don't think that's where progress should go.

"Why not both ?", sure. But we're not having both.

Talon

Long press and 3D Touch are not the same in terms of experience at all. Don't conflate the two.

I find myself using peak way more frequently than expected.

It actually is a significant improvement for accessing the app switcher. You don't need to move your thumb away from the middle of the screen ever.

tzare

The app shortcuts are great, like you mentioned.
The cursor idea is genius.
The potential for gaming is obviously there, it's a whole other button or two that you can press anywhere on the display.
The ability to peak into apps/parts of an app/links/etc... (I like it for links more) is pretty damn useful. The "thumbnails" that pop are are interactable as well so you can get things done quicker.
A way of getting around the OS without any buttons (hard or soft) is paved with 3D touch. in iOS9 there's already a way to get to the app switcher by pressing down hard on the edge. Not sure if there's a way to get to the homescreen from any app but I'm sure it can't be terribly far away.

etc...and this is just first time at bat stuff. A year or two from now I'm sure it'll be doing more.

then in two years we will see. Now is nothing outstanding at all. It is nice to have it? sure, a prioriy? no way

Maiar_m

Long press and 3D Touch are not the same in terms of experience at all. Don't conflate the two.

Never said they were the same, I said long-presses could do peak, UI-wise. And I don't think it's a priority feature to copy. Luckily for all of you, it's not like Google and OEMs care.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
USB Type C is the latest in a line of fuck it let's push it to market before it's needed and fully vetted.

We talked about this some yesterday due to people posting which Amazon cables to get. Here is an Android Police story detailing the fuckery.

AP

But not all USB Type-C accessories are created equal as Google engineer Benson Leung has discovered. He has been working on several products from the Pixel line that use the Type-C connector and thus knows the standard and its specification requirements very well. Upon testing some third-party Type-C cables and adapters, he and his team have noticed that a few of these are not compatible with the standard and are potentially dangerous to your device's ports.

Benson has started reviewing these products on Amazon, praising those that adhere to the specifications and work as intended with the Chromebook Pixel and other Type-C devices, and pointing out those that deviate from the standard and thus either don't work at all or do but could damage your hub or charger on the Type-A end. He has gone through 7 cables and adapters now, only endorsing the $19.99 Belkin and the $14.99 iOrange-E cables. And it seems that other companies are already contacting him to send their own products for testing, so you should see more options on his review list soon.

I particularly love how companies are now scrambling to send shit to Google for testing you know a month AFTER the two nexus devices launched and ton of shit has been already on Amazon to be sold.

Way to fucking plan everyone.

then in two years we will see. Now is nothing outstanding at all. It is nice to have it? sure, a prioriy? no way

in 2 years it will be so standard we don't even look at it as a feature. It'll just be a natural way we interact with the OS.

Also it's nothing like long pressing. Look at peaking into links. You see a link in your email, you press it down softly to get a preview in a thumbnail and then you press it down harder to open it. Long pressing cannot do that. That's just a simple example.

I guess androiders are less excited because OEMs are going to diverge in their implementations and google will take long then people won't get updates in forever or will have to buy new phones with the tech lol. And you all just bought your pretty 6Ps.

in 2 years it will be so standard we don't even look at it as a feature. It'll just be a natural way we interact with the OS.

Also it's nothing like long pressing. Look at peaking into links. You see a link in your email, you press it down softly to get a preview in a thumbnail and then you press it down harder to open it. Long pressing cannot do that. That's just a simple example.

I guess androiders are less excited because OEMs are going to diverge in their implementations and google will take long then people won't get updates in forever or will have to buy new phones with the tech lol. And you all just bought your pretty 6Ps.

I'm less excited, because everything you listed makes me think "hey, that's neat", but never "omg, it's the future of UI and UX! I need that!". At least it seems more useful than multi-touch.

I'm less excited, because everything you listed makes me think "hey, that's neat", but never "omg, it's the future of UI and UX! I need that!". At least it seems more useful than multi-touch.

but you're forgetting that this is gen 1. Surely in time it will evolve. But again it's not revolutionary of course but it is an entirely new way to interact with a mobile OS and that's a pretty big deal. I guess it's a bigger deal on an OS where it will be consistent and constantly updated like iOS but eventually nexus phones will get around to it.

It'll come out....people will use it....then eventually people will forget what it was like without it.

Maiar_m

Long press could do the preview thing, as for "press it harder", you could just release and click, naturally. Is it better than FT? No, of course not, that's not the point nor the debate, but FT doesn't fix any fundamental UI flaw and although it certainly makes a lot of sense when you're used to it, it doesn't bring IMO valuable UX to the table.

It certainly is my concern that OEMs will scramble to please the crowd that buys an Android phone wanting iOS features for cheaper rather than work on building better phones, as I'm concerned with Android as an OS being more focused on dispensable features rather than core improvements. I don't think we can have both, see Marshmallow where Doze is the core improvement and a success but Now on tap the dispensable one and a slow, unreliable failure.

Long press could do the preview thing, as for "press it harder", you could just release and click, naturally. Is it better than FT? No, of course not, that's not the point nor the debate, but FT doesn't fix any fundamental UI flaw and although it certainly makes a lot of sense when you're used to it, it doesn't bring IMO valuable UX to the table.

It certainly is my concern that OEMs will scramble to please the crowd that buys an Android phone wanting iOS features for cheaper rather than work on building better phones, as I'm concerned with Android as an OS being more focused on dispensable features rather than core improvements. I don't think we can have both, see Marshmallow where Doze is the core improvement and a success but Now on tap the dispensable one and a slow, unreliable failure.

the thumbnails are interactive for quick gestures and other things i.e. soft touch to open the preview for an instagram photo then liking it right there. All these little things add up to increase productivity.

It's definitely a good and useful feature that people should want but I do agree that android implementation could be potentially worrisome but it's still the right direction.

Tommy DJ

I actually think 3D Touch does fix a lot of problems with iOS' UI (and I guess large smartphone ergonomics in general). As Talon notes, 3D Touch pretty much puts most interactions around the middle of the screen so you actually don't really need to interact with buttons uncomfortably placed in the utmost top and bottom of the screen.

It might be a gimmick but hey, it means I can blow through all of my emails without shifting my hand or stretching my thumb. I could never do that with the current iOS UI on a phone that large. It might even let you one hand the 6S+ in a lot of tasks.

Maiar_m

the thumbnails are interactive for quick gestures and other things i.e. soft touch to open the preview for an instagram photo then liking it right there. All these little things add up to increase productivity.

It's definitely a good and useful feature that people should want but I do agree that android implementation could be potentially worrisome but it's still the right direction.

Alright, I can concede its productivity value for some users, but the way to go about it doesn't seem a valuable trade off for more profound hardware and software investments - because that's where most of my grief is : FT is a hardware feature that will significantly divert funds from what I think are more crucial hardware flaws in current smartphones. If the software goes in the *right* direction, I sure hope it doesn't distract from the *best* direction.

I actually think 3D Touch does fix a lot of problems with iOS' UI (and I guess large smartphone ergonomics in general). As Talon notes, 3D Touch pretty much puts most interactions around the middle of the screen so you actually don't really need to interact with buttons uncomfortably placed in the utmost top and bottom of the screen.
That's what gestures have been about until then, isn't it? but it's funny though, OEMs (and Apple) are building larger screens as if it's a feature but then have to "fix" that feature so it can actually be usable :D

Agent

A little under 24 hours with my Nexus 6p and I'm loving it overall so far. I do have one item that I am unexpectedly missing from my Moto X (2013): Active Display. I guess it was one of those features I took for granted and didn't realize how much I used it until it was gone. I think I am also looking for it more now when the phone is on the desk since I don't want to pick it up to unlock it.

I know there is an Ambient Display feature on the 6p, but it has been wildly inconsistent to so far. I turned it off since it doesn't seem to work properly.

SimleuqiR

It actually is a significant improvement for accessing the app switcher. You don't need to move your thumb away from the middle of the screen ever.

That's an interesting point.
With how big phones are, tech like 3D Touch could easily be used to navigate most if not all aspects of an app with out having you to move your thumb or finger from one position on the screen.

So far really enjoying my time with the 6P, but I noticed one thing.

There's this strange, buzzing-type noise when I plug in headphones, but don't have any audio playing. It's a very low noise, so I'm not sure if it continues when audio is actually playing, but weirdly enough, the noise stops if I go to the home screen of the launcher. It only happens when I'm in an app (any app, even the dialer).

Anyone else run into that? I mean, it's not atrocious, and definitely not a deal breaker, but it's something weird I noticed.
I heard that slightly in mine. Now the headphone jack doesn't work at all :(

CronoShot

Don't hear anything from mine.

The only issue I see from mine so far is that sometimes when waking the phone up with the scanner the screen isn't at Max brightness and takes a second or two to suddenly go bright.

Yeah, I tried a different pair of headphones and the noise is gone. But headphones that cause the noise are totally fine when used with my laptop or my Note 5. It's only on the 6P that it happens.

Very strange. Must be a software issue with certain headphones.

I heard that slightly in mine. Now the headphone jack doesn't work at all :(

Just out of nowhere?

Saiyan-Rox

I still like that phone a ton, but the missing bands aren't something I can get around.

Yeah I hear you guys got shafted on those this time round.

Though tbh the OPX seems to be targeted for us sine the launch was in UK and it's launching over a week early here too.

Have no need for the invite whatsoever but yet tempted to get it to see what it's like.

EDIT: Nah, I don't suppose anyone here want's to make use of this invite?

VPhys

USB Type C is the latest in a line of fuck it let's push it to market before it's needed and fully vetted.

We talked about this some yesterday due to people posting which Amazon cables to get. Here is an Android Police story detailing the fuckery.

AP

I particularly love how companies are now scrambling to send shit to Google for testing you know a month AFTER the two nexus devices launched and ton of shit has been already on Amazon to be sold.

Way to fucking plan everyone.

monoprice should be good no?

kinggroin

Banned
3D touch is the truth.

You Android stans need to stop frontin' like OG Apple stans. Then you like, "Sooooooo this shit is hot" when it lands on Android.

Real recognize real.

Hasney

3D touch is the truth.

You Android stans need to stop frontin' like OG Apple stans. Then you like, "Sooooooo this shit is hot" when it lands on Android.

Real recognize real.

Not really, it depends how you use your phone. How I use it, I don't even need to long press anything bar my one torrent client so I don't need more touch options.

Might be cool in some game implementation though.

Ty4on

That's an interesting point.
With how big phones are, tech like 3D Touch could easily be used to navigate most if not all aspects of an app with out having you to move your thumb or finger from one position on the screen.
Mhm. I hope to see in tablets as well.
I kinda want an iPad Pro as a laptop replacement, but the lack of 3D touch is definitely a deal breaker. As a productivity device everything just speeds up when you get more input options and even when writing NeoGAF posts (which admittedly is what I'll mainly use it for...) it's such a pain to copy paste text and links from one place to another and shorten quotes on a touch screen.

Saiyan-Rox

Oops I claimed the OPX invite

went to copy and paste the link and clicked on it instead and it auto redeemed

Well there goes that lol

I wonder when OPX reviews will hit. Srsly tempted by it for its size. I like to support that. I guess I'd need an invite too sigh lol.

Would probably perform better than x play. Only downside will be going from god tier battery life to not. And I'd have to go through the effort of selling it :p

Weak man here.

lt519

Loving my 6P after a day (day one 32GB Graphite from the Play Store shipped Monday got it Tuesday, via free overnight). The thing is a beast to handle though, coming from a 5, going to get some getting used to. Adopted case is pretty good, might get a folio case or at least a protective glass screen. Here's my home screen I made, since I had to do a whole new one with the 5x1 row size. I want to show it off but nobody pays attention to that home screen thread!

c340MYy.jpg

Destiny App for the three characters up top. Music block is Play Music, Mage is Fantasy Sports, Ghosts are Contacts, Tecmo Football Player is ESPN, snes contoller is Play Store, Treasure Chest is Drive, Lakitu Mario Kart is Maps, Coin is Mint, Ocarina is Phone.

Background is 8 bit hardwood mario, was pretty fun!

gcubed

You get used to it and then things don't look "washed out".
I like it because colors don't bleed out of icons.

agreed, default is terrible. N6 is terrible, look at pictures side by side with them and you'll see why sRGB shouldn't be hidden away. Coming from eye bleeding default OLED its understandable why people think its washed out, but its not washed out, its actually... real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom