• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you from my trusty old N5 and N7 2013 that Marshmallow is in a whole other league than Lollipop.
Really pleased with performance and battery-savings so far. A fitting metaphor would be Lollipop = Vista and Marshmallow = Win 7.

Of course, i can't say if performance and battery will stay at that level in the future. ^^

That gives me hope, have you noticed games running better on the new OS btw, or is it limited strictly to OS tasks?

Uh ... is that Benchmark result for the 820 some kind of a pre-release model? Because that looks like one big gap between the 820 and the Exynos or the new Huawei one.

That gives me hope, have you noticed games running better on the new phone btw, or is it limited strictly to OS tasks?
Which new phone? I only have the old 2015 N5. ^^

I actually didn't play on Marshmallow yet, got the OTA update on my N7 just 2 days ago, but other than shortly checking the daily apps, i had no time to check the games on it.
Might do that tonight or tomorrow.
Although i don't really have the most demanding games... Hearthstone, Monument Valley, Clash of Clans, Terra Battle.

The reason why I'm so indifferent towards force touch is because I'm such a light smartphone user. A casual, if you like.

LKZ0IS4.jpg

This is my home screen and all apps you see on it are the ones I launch frequently. That's basically all I need and do on my phone. I obviously have more apps than those on my phone, but I rarely use them, so launching them from the drawer or with the incoming notification is enough for me.

Uh ... is that Benchmark result for the 820 some kind of a pre-release model? Because that looks like one big gap between the 820 and the Exynos or the new Huawei one.

Which new phone? I only have the old 2015 N5. ^^

I actually didn't play on Marshmallow yet, got the OTA update on my N7 just 2 days ago, but other than shortly checking the daily apps, i had no time to check the games on it.
Might do that tonight or tomorrow.
Although i don't really have the most demanding games... Hearthstone, Monument Valley, Clash of Clans, Terra Battle.

Meant the new update, don't know why I said phone lol

reKon

Banned
I got a two years contract on the Xperia paying 20€/month. My audio jack died, the display was gradually loosening (could peel it off on the upper side of the phone if I wanted to) and I had two long, fine cracks on the backside despite never dropping it. Abysmal build quality; my 2010 iPhone 4 is still in significantly better shape and I used that for 4 years.
Two weeks ago though, I accidentally dropped a bottle on my Sony lol.

I literally don't have a single game on my cell phone. I don't play mobile at all which is why the Moto G 3rd Gen offers the exact same experience but for like a third of the price.

The only issue I had was the magnetic charging strip became loose. I sent it to Sony since thus was clearly a defect from the weak glue and they either decided to replacement the majority of the parts or give me an entirely new phone (I'm not sure what they did, but it looked brand new!). Turn around time was like 5 business days. Bought it from handtec in the UK, but I think they just worked on it here in the US.

The Xperia crack back issue I've seen come up a lot, and its probably a higher frequency issue than it should be, but just because you got one with quality issues doesn't mean that most of them have poor build quality.

Even the whole PS4 controller is ridiculous. The general consensus on GAF is that the PS4 had the worse build quality ever seen on a console controller. Yet, both of my controllers are still flawless along with most of my friends who own PS4. Doesn't mean that there isn't an issue with build quality on a good portion of them, but I don't think it's an issue that affects the majority. 10% defect rate would be insanely high, but does not come close to he majority.

Drifters

first 24 hours of my N7 2013 flashed to 6.0 last night; First night of doze world... went to bed with 73%, woke with Wi-Fi on all night, down to 71%.

Legit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
More Huawei Styling

http://m.gsmarena.com/the_kirin_950_soc_was_officially_unveiled_today_in_beijing-news-14843.php

It is still too early to expect proper performance figures for the Kirin 950, especially before it appears in an end-user device. Still Huawei did show off a stellar test score of almost 83 000 points on AnTuTu with a demo rig. That's easily the highest we've seen from any device so far and means the upcoming Huawei Mate 8 will have some proper power underneath its hood.

reKon

Banned
first 24 hours of my N7 2013 flashed to 6.0 last night; First night of doze world... went to bed with 73%, woke with Wi-Fi on all night, down to 71%.

Legit.

I guess that it wouldn't have made more of a difference for me on the Nexus 7 (2013) I use to own because I had Wi-Fi off when the screen was off?

Same applies to my Tab S2 and it usually just loses 1-2% a night with the same settings applied.

I remember someone in here saying that the Mediatek was a real case of silicon lottery in terms of performance, but I can't find the post.

That Helio looks cool if it can be consistent, sip battery and not overheat, so we'll need to wait on real world performance. It will lack GPU performance to Qualcomm, but that won't matter if they can price it good enough for the mid range.

Interesting direction I didn't even think off. I was more talking about backdoors and things like that. Super paranoid, I know.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So, I'm thinking I'm over my Nexus 6. The size is great for some things, but I'm thinking something in the 5.5" range is a better fit.. you basically have to have 2 hands on the thing to text (at least I do) and that's a pain.

I'd rather buy outright, on AT&T to avoid the upgrade fee, or the next stuff... but the new Moto X Pure is 5.7".. which seems to close in size and I'm not sure where I can see one locally in Portland.

So, Nexus 5x? OnePlus2? Something else?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The reason why I'm so indifferent towards force touch is because I'm such a light smartphone user. A casual, if you like.

This is my home screen and all apps you see on it are the ones I launch frequently. That's basically all I need and do on my phone. I obviously have more apps than those on my phone, but I rarely use them, so launching them from the drawer or with the incoming notification is enough for me.

My wife will never use force touch. I even demoed it for her and she just doesn't care. It's the least exciting new smartphone feature since eye tracked scrolling. That said, I can see how power users can use it to save time, so it's not useless, just not a sea change like some are trying to convince us. In other words, it's no touch ID, which has basically changed how we use our phones.

Vanillalite

The 950 is a total chip redesign that shares nothing with the 930. Not that I disagree on the 930 points, but it bares no reference here.

This is a brand new chip design on a brand new processor node featuring the next gen ARM 57 successor the A72 chip coupled with a brand new mali GPU.

There literally is zero things on the earth to compare it too beyond just whatever ARM reference designs might be.

Even if this chipset doesn't totally pan out at the very least it gives us more insight into the A72 chip which is the real star of the show here.

Vanillalite

best part of my N7 getting 6.0 finally i can get those dam games and deny the fuk out of them having access to phone and contacts

Yeah I just got the update as well. Maybe Google waited for the Nov security update to fix whatever fuckery was happening in the first N7 build, and now are pushing the OTA to everyone.

Jigolo

Uh yeah. I'd hold off on posting geekbench scores from chips that aren't out and haven't even been confirmed. Get away from the blogs for a bit

Pyrokai

Stating to wonder about the screen size now.......if only the phone just freaking would arrive, I'd stop second guessing everything! I'm SO close to just getting a 5X and cancelling my 6P because of price as well as my concerns about fittings 6P into my skinny jean pockets :p

Also I'd get it 3 weeks earlier.

Vanillalite

Suspicions confirmed. My N7 build is this...

That's the latest M build with the Nov security patch. Makes me think something was fubar in the original M OTA for the N7 ergo why virtually nobody got the OTA originally. They probably fixed something specific to the N7, but just rolled it into the security update.

Noema

Motorola have announced the Moto G Turbo

5” Full-HD (1080p) Gorilla Glass 3
SD 615
Adreno 405
2GB RAM
16GB +micro SD
Quick charge

http://www.poderpda.com/plataformas/android/motorola-presenta-el-motog-turbo-edition/

Found on reddit. Exclusive to Mexico apparently.

Interestingly they just dropped the price of the regular Moto G, which used to cost the same as this new turbo model will cost (about USD270. For reference the X Play costs USD350, VAT included) . Motorola sells a shit ton of phones in Mexico, BTW.

It's basically a 5" Moto x play, for a more reasonable price which makes the SD615 more palatable. The keynote weirdly shows 1440p as the resolution in one of the slides, which is of course wrong but makes me wonder if the display is 720p or 1080p as the article states. 720p could perhaps be preferable since the SD615 Struggles with 1080p.

Fucking Motorola, this is what the regular Moto G should have been, with the X Play running a SD801 which evidently can still be sourced since the OPX uses it. How much more would it have costed them? $4 per phone?

They also presented something called the Moto X Force, which is a slightly smaller, tackier , waterproof, more expensive version of the X Style / Pure. It also uses a SD810.

Hesemonni

Banned
My Z3 Compact started acting strange, shutting down on its own, disconnecting calls etc. I bought a 2nd gen Moto G at the office and I'm pretty much blow away by it. Awesome piece of kit and basically the only I could complain about it in MY daily use is the battery life, which obviously isn't as good as the one with Z3c.

TheZink

Stating to wonder about the screen size now.......if only the phone just freaking would arrive, I'd stop second guessing everything! I'm SO close to just getting a 5X and cancelling my 6P because of price as well as my concerns about fittings 6P into my skinny jean pockets :p

I returned the 6p yesterday. As a skinny jean wearing man also it wasn't bad but for me the problem was reaching the top of the screen to pull down notifications. I always felt like I was gonna drop it. The phone did stick out of my pocket pretty far because of the height. My previous phone was a iPhone 6s plus and I had no problems with it in pockets or reaching the screen. The 6p is super long. Also the screen was almost unusable for me in direct sunlight and I live in Fl so it was rough. I may order a 5x but Im concerned with battery life. I keep reading mixed reviews.

zeemumu

I don't post in here but I was wondering if you guys could help me with a problem: I dropped my S5 the other day and the angle that it landed at didn't allow the case to protect it and the screen shattered, but the phone still works. Coincidentally, my dad was going in the next day to upgrade his phone, and he ended up giving me his Note 3 and transferring my number onto it. I'm able to make phone calls but I can't send or receive texts from the Note 3. Do you guys have any solutions?

Edit: Nevermind, got it fixed.

CasualTR

Banned
LG's skin on android is horrifyingly unoptimised. My G3 is slower than my original Galaxy Note in navigating the menus and my GF's G4 is just not very fast overall.

NotBacon

I returned the 6p yesterday. As a skinny jean wearing man also it wasn't bad but for me the problem was reaching the top of the screen to pull down notifications. I always felt like I was gonna drop it. The phone did stick out of my pocket pretty far because of the height. My previous phone was a iPhone 6s plus and I had no problems with it in pockets or reaching the screen. The 6p is super long. Also the screen was almost unusable for me in direct sunlight and I live in Fl so it was rough. I may order a 5x but Im concerned with battery life. I keep reading mixed reviews.

I mean the screen itself is a hair taller but still...

The only issue I had was the magnetic charging strip became loose. I sent it to Sony since thus was clearly a defect from the weak glue and they either decided to replacement the majority of the parts or give me an entirely new phone (I'm not sure what they did, but it looked brand new!). Turn around time was like 5 business days. Bought it from handtec in the UK, but I think they just worked on it here in the US.

The Xperia crack back issue I've seen come up a lot, and its probably a higher frequency issue than it should be, but just because you got one with quality issues doesn't mean that most of them have poor build quality.

Even the whole PS4 controller is ridiculous. The general consensus on GAF is that the PS4 had the worse build quality ever seen on a console controller. Yet, both of my controllers are still flawless along with most of my friends who own PS4. Doesn't mean that there isn't an issue with build quality on a good portion of them, but I don't think it's an issue that affects the majority. 10% defect rate would be insanely high, but does not come close to he majority.

How is that relevant to me? I don't care if the majority of Sony devices are fine or not. Mine sure wasn't. The USB clot cover came off as well because the rubber peeled off. That cell phone essentially disintegrated within less than a year. Worst electronic purchase ever (relative to its costs) in my book.

TheZink

It wasn't the height of the actual phone I had a problem with. It was rather screen size. It just was a bit more of a reach. Also the 6p felt top heavy to me so when I adjusted to swipe it would always shift.

LG's skin on android is horrifyingly unoptimised. My G3 is slower than my original Galaxy Note in navigating the menus and my GF's G4 is just not very fast overall.

I have G3 and its crazy fast. How? I never encountered any problem with it. I have everything as it came though. No modification.

I just want to say Google Fi's customer service has been fantastic. Got my $50 google play money and 50% emails super quick, helped me pull my Verizon number over, all super quick. First time in awhile where customer service made me happy.

reKon

Banned
How is that relevant to me? I don't care if the majority of Sony devices are fine or not. Mine sure wasn't. The USB clot cover came off as well because the rubber peeled off. That cell phone essentially disintegrated within less than a year. Worst electronic purchase ever (relative to its costs) in my book.

I guess that would constitute a "bad purchase" because you got a dud, but your posts come off like this should be expected - if you buy an expensive Xperia phone, the build quality is shitty. When it comes to quality it's all luck, but some companies are better than others (Apple and Motorola seem to do well in terms of build quality).

haha, I noticed this too. This thread man...

My Z3 Compact started acting strange, shutting down on its own, disconnecting calls etc. I bought a 2nd gen Moto G at the office and I'm pretty much blow away by it. Awesome piece of kit and basically the only I could complain about it in MY daily use is the battery life, which obviously isn't as good as the one with Z3c.

My Moto E (2015) has amazing battery life, LTE, has a faster chipset than the Moto G, and is cheaper than than the 2nd gen Moto G. But, if you gotta have that higher screen res and screen size then I guess your set. You always have options though. It's so easy to sell stuff on Swappa. I sold my old back up phone for like $50 net and was able to pick up the Moto E.

Kevyt

Man should not wear skinny jeans. It is unmanly!

jk, I myself wear skinny jeans and this is something I've considered. Not to mention I also wear those tight like pants for working out, lol.

So I worry about that but I dunno...

If only Huawei would hurry up and ship the phone!

Vanillalite

I have G3 and its crazy fast. How? I never encountered any problem with it. I have everything as it came though. No modification.

No 801 phone should be slow regardless of skin. I'd make sure you are up to date OS wise and then factory reset.

This is assuming you are stock. Custom roms are your own thing to deal with.

hmmm

Google is reportedly taking a page out of Apple's playbook and expressing interest in co-developing Android chips based on its own designs, according to a report today from The Information. Similar to how the iPhone carries a Ax chip designed by Apple but manufactured by companies like Samsung, Google wants to bring its own expertise and consistency to the Android ecosystem. To do that, it would need to convince a company like Qualcomm, which produces some of the top Android smartphone chips today using its own technology, to sacrifice some of its competitive edge. Google did not respond to a request for comment.

The discussions around Google-designed chips, which The Information say occurred this fall, originated around the company's desire to build an "enterprise connectivity device" — possibly the Pixel C laptop-tablet hybrid unveiled in September — that would rely wholly on in-house technology. Soon, Google was discussing the possibility of designing its own smartphone chips as well, the report states.

The sticking points around the plan appear to be with Google finding a manufacturing partner and also with Google being able to convince hardware manufacturers like Samsung to use the chips it designs.

others tend to overeact to some features, especially from XXX manufacturer. So i guess it is a tie. You want force touch, i want IR blaster. Who's wrong or who is right?
Do both.

Imagine an IR remote app with one volume button and one channel button. Push to go up. Push harder to go down.

Vanillalite

The sticking points around the plan appear to be with Google finding a manufacturing partner and also with Google being able to convince hardware manufacturers like Samsung to use the chips it designs.

Two sides to this coin.

They could get Samsung on board by giving them exclusive rights to the manufacturing. I'm not sure if Samsung could keep up with that though.

On the other hand Samsung might think having in house designs help then differentiate from the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom