• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Battery-Edge.jpg

I...lol.

My WiFi Tether speed on my Nexus 6P is slow. It used to be 8 Mbps down for the first hour it's used, but now it's 0.05 Mbps down.

How do I fix this? I have unlimited from T-Mobile.

AndyD

aka andydumi
is it really odd though. Android phones are like that. They can wildly differ depending on app usage. Even 1 app that 1 person had on their phone that the other didn't could affect it. Also background usage and other things are always dodgy.

Yep. And even with the same app it can vary wildly. Having 10 vs 1000 friend on facebook and enabling updates vs not can make a humongous difference. Same with podcast apps that can check one or 100 sources, news and so forth.

I have a quick question about ambient display. I'm listening to a podcast on pocket casts and the screen will flash every five seconds to display the lock screen. Is there a way to just show incoming texts,phone calls, emails and not current audio that is playing? I didn't see any options in pocket casts or in the settings.

Ty4on

I have a quick question about ambient display. I'm listening to a podcast on pocket casts and the screen will flash every five seconds to display the lock screen. Is there a way to just show incoming texts,phone calls, emails and not current audio that is playing? I didn't see any options in pocket casts or in the settings.

On Lollipop you can go to "Sound & notification" -> "App notification" and scroll down to Pocket Casts and block notifications from it. You can also hide it when the phone is locked, but there will still be a notification saying "Pocket Casts - Contents hidden".

lt519

My Galaxy S3 lasts two days if I don't turn on the screen.

Show us more.

Not pumping up the 6P or trying to compare it to other phones; more the Doze feature. The whole point of Doze is how it performs when the screen is off, which was the intent of my initial post.

I'm basically at two days and it's probably going to last 1-2 more at the rate I use it. I use my phone generally for answering messages, checking sports scores, and browsing the web for a couple minutes at a time. The fact that it's discharging about 1% per hour when the screen is off instead of 5% makes it last much much longer for me. What would you like to see though, I can post more. Just a massive improvement over any other phone and/or version of android I've seen. Been very impressed with Doze.

Here's the stock battery screen:

On Lollipop you can go to "Sound & notification" -> "App notification" and scroll down to Pocket Casts and block notifications from it. You can also hide it when the phone is locked, but there will still be a notification saying "Pocket Casts - Contents hidden".

That did the trick for pocket casts, thank you. Now the time displays every once in awhile, but thats a lot less annoying. I think I'll need to tinker with it a bit more.

clav

Not pumping up the 6P or trying to compare it to other phones; more the Doze feature. The whole point of Doze is how it performs when the screen is off, which was the intent of my initial post.

I'm basically at two days and it's probably going to last 1-2 more at the rate I use it. I use my phone generally for answering messages, checking sports scores, and browsing the web for a couple minutes at a time. The fact that it's discharging about 1% per hour when the screen is off instead of 5% makes it last much much longer for me. What would you like to see though, I can post more. Just a massive improvement over any other phone and/or version of android I've seen. Been very impressed with Doze.

Here's the stock battery screen:

That's what I do, too.

I haven't had a new phone in 3 years, so I'm not sure what an average day to use is. Seems like everyone is getting the same as my Galaxy S3. Check a few things and that's it.

adamYUKI

Jesus Christ -- love the 6P.

With nothing disabled, Wi-Fi on, mediocre cellular signal, and moderate use (some Youtube, GPS, texting, Twitter, etc.) I'm getting a little over 5.5 hours screen on time!

It might improve once the phone settles further (just started using it day before yesterday). Very impressed.

thenexus6

So I was pretty bummed when I learned that Quickpic was taken over.

I downloaded the last update APK before the take over and it was built in to never ask for an update.

Lately the app on my home screen is turning greyed out then I have to re-add it from my app drawer. What gives?

http://i.imgur.com/OOw7XX6.png

Sky Chief

Are any other N6P users missing the size of the N6? Loving the 6P so far but I preferred the bigger screen of the 6. Everything just seems so small now. Also, the 6 fit in my hand perfectly while I have to grip the 6P much more tightly. I actually find it harder to use the 6P with one hand even though it's smaller. Wish they would have stayed at 6"

SimleuqiR

Are any other N6P users missing the size of the N6? Loving the 6P so far but I preferred the bigger screen of the 6. Everything just seems so small now. Also, the 6 fit in my hand perfectly while I have to grip the 6P much more tightly. I actually find it harder to use the 6P with one hand even though it's smaller. Wish they would have stayed at 6"

There is a brag post somewhere in here.

VanWinkle

My LG G3 broke completely randomly a fewvdays ago, despite the hardware being in great condition. So bizarre. I was only a year into my two-year Verizon contract, too.

BUT, I bought a used HTC One M8 off of Amazon for $125, and I really like it...for the most part. The hardware and design are unbelievable. The speakers are several classes above any other phone speakers I've heard. The screen is great, though a little small for my liking. The software experience is the smoothest I've seen in any phone, including the iPhone, which is prone to stutters and a non-perfect 60fps. However, the camera is extremely disappointing. It isn't NEARLY as good as my G3 camera, which I already miss a lot. The camera software is good, and the fast shutter is great, but man is it disappointing otherwise. Astonishingly poor dynamic range, fairly low resolution, and lack of detail. Also, the phone seems to get kind of hot after about an hour of use, moreso than my G3 did.

Overall I'm happy, but I take pictures a lot and I'm pretty sad about the pictures it takes.

Blackhead

Redarse
Stopped by the store to check out the Nexus phones and actually spent more time with the Priv. The keyboard is the real deal. The physical keys are nice and it also doubles as a touchsensitive touchpad. I was most intrigued by Instant Actions which reminds me of JustType back on the PalmPre. It's all looks like stock Android; the Hub is easily disabled and thankfully Blackberry didn't try to theme it and dress it up like BB10 or something stupid. My main concern is how Blackberry will handle updates but If I'm going to get an Android phone today it'll probably the Priv. Heck I'm even considering it over upgrading to an iPhone 6s. Everybody should give the Priv a chance

p.s Marques Brownlee Google Nexus 5X Review!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yes. The N6 will probably be the biggest Nexus phone ever made. RIP.

I had lots of hands on time with priv at work and I think it sucks tbh. Keyboard is pointless in 2015 except for an extremely tiny niche of people. The curved screen is pointless. Pretty thick phone too. The back of it is really ugly lol.

Just doesn't scream its price point. Oh and then there's the whole blackberry's imminent death or at least exit from mobile hardware.

VPhys

So I have $50 burning in my google play wallet.

Anyone buy any good apps with the credit?

I wish we could use the money towards hardware, like a case.

Blackhead

Redarse
I had lots of hands on time with priv at work and I think it sucks tbh. Keyboard is pointless in 2015 except for an extremely tiny niche of people. The curved screen is pointless. Pretty thick phone too. The back of it is really ugly lol.

Just doesn't scream its price point. Oh and then there's the whole blackberry's imminent death or at least exit from mobile hardware.
The back of it is really ugly lol.

Took it too far and exposed yourself as just a hater:
From Mashable, Engadget, Wired, VentureBeat
Engadget said:
The Priv has a woven glass fiber back and a Gorilla Glass 4 display coating, so I'm expecting it to last well beyond the two years that most people's phone contracts run to.

"The Priv is probably the best-looking BlackBerry device ever."
Wired said:
Design-wise, it’s the slickest BlackBerry ever.
VentureBeat said:
The Priv is a gorgeous phone.
Mashable said:
Overall, the Priv is a pleasure to hold, in part because of grippy, slightly rubberized coating on the woven glass back.

zewone

It'll be $200 bargain bin in a 2 months.

Took it too far and exposed yourself as just a hater:
From Mashable, Engadget, Wired, VentureBeat
I just said the back is ugly lol. That ring around the lens is just uggo. Didn't say it felt cheap. I just didn't see anything about it that is worth the price of entry and that's if you look at it in a bubble. If you step outside of the bubble and put it up against other flagships it looks even worse. The curved display is clearly inflating the price but it's so useless and stupid on the phone that they literally did it for nothing.

It all doesn't matter in the end.

Phone will fuckin bomb and BB will step out of the hardware biz when it does (their CEOs words).

edit: also all it "exposes" is that I have high standards for a phone that costs that much lol.

I just said the back is ugly lol. That ring around the lens is just uggo. Didn't say it felt cheap. I just didn't see anything about it that is worth the price of entry and that's if you look at it in a bubble. If you step outside of the bubble and put it up against other flagships it looks even worse. The curved display is clearly inflating the price but it's so useless and stupid on the phone that they literally did it for nothing.

It all doesn't matter in the end.

Phone will fuckin bomb and BB will step out of the hardware biz when it does (their CEOs words).

edit: also all it "exposes" is that I have high standards for a phone that costs that much lol.

You get your 5X yet?

You get your 5X yet?
I decided not to get it remember :(

I'd still buy one if it was 100 bucks cheaper in canada. Honestly now that I've used the Xplay I realized that it's my size limit and it's really disappointing that the 5X is basically the same size with a smaller screen. Me wants smaller phone :(

I'd still buy one if it was 100 bucks cheaper in canada. Honestly now that I've used the Xplay I realized that it's my size limit and it's really disappointing that the 5X is basically the same size with a smaller screen. Me wants smaller phone :(

Thought you 180ed again.

Looks like Photos will eventually get these video editing options:

http://editonthefly.com/clips

Company got bought by the Goog
Guess that's one way to get them working on Android.

The Verge said:
Interestingly, Novikoff told iDigitalTimes last year that he didn't expect Fly would ever work on Android versions of its apps. "iPhone users appreciate great design more than Android users do," Novikoff said. "Tim doesn't really see the company venturing into Google territory," the publication said.

Welcome to Google territory, Tim!
Thought this was funny. I don't agree with what he said, at all, but eh.

zewone

What about A9 or OnePlus X?

Them 5" screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom