• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

eJsuWiB.png

NotBacon

Is Nova Prime worth using over Marshmallow or is Marshmallow so good I don't need Nova Prime?

I'm assuming by Marshmallow you mean Google Play Launcher. In that case it depends what you want, neither is 'better'. There is no performance difference.

Want something that Just Works™? Use GPL.
Want something with a crazy amount of customization? Use Nova.

Furyous

Random thoughts on Google's attempt to become a bit like A*****:

I'm all for it if it at least gives us a Nexus tier of high end smartphones or at least promises faster updates.

Give us a Z7C with a 4.7 inch 1080p display with a 2900 Mah battery w/microsd support running stock.

Matter of fact make Sony the next Nexus partner, pls.

Fragment the upgrade paths even more: Everything sourced in-house and sold unlocked, uncannier branded receives updates straight from Google while everything else goes through normal process.

Random thoughts on Google's attempt to become a bit like A*****:

I'm all for it if it at least gives us a Nexus tier of high end smartphones or at least promises faster updates.

Give us a Z7C with a 4.7 inch 1080p display with a 2900 Mah battery w/microsd support running stock.

Matter of fact make Sony the next Nexus partner, pls.

Fragment the upgrade paths even more: Everything sourced in-house and sold unlocked, uncannier branded receives updates straight from Google while everything else goes through normal process.

No thanks. Sony gonna fuck up Nexus cameras now that we have decent Nexus cameras.

reKon

Banned
I'm assuming by Marshmallow you mean Google Play Launcher. In that case it depends what you want, neither is 'better'. There is no performance difference.

Want something that Just Works™? Use GPL.
Want something with a crazy amount of customization? Use Nova.

Nova has always just worked

Furyous

No thanks. Sony gonna fuck up Nexus cameras now that we have decent Nexus cameras.

The Z5C camera is great minus, allegedly, the blur on some devices. Can youname two competitors that match the device spec for spec? The Z5C camera is fucking dope and only really suffers from zooming in but that's compared to the S6.

You bring up a pont that no Z5C reviewer touched on: WHY IN THE FLAMING FUCK CAN THE DEVICE RECORD IN FUCKING 4K BUT ONLY USE A 720P DISPLAY?

Yeah, Google needs to save us with a quality universal SOC that boosts performance.

Ty4on

You bring up a pont that no Z5C reviewer touched on: WHY IN THE FLAMING FUCK CAN THE DEVICE RECORD IN FUCKING 4K BUT ONLY USE A 720P DISPLAY?

I dunno. Why do 50MP cameras come with a 480p display?
The 950 is a total chip redesign that shares nothing with the 930. Not that I disagree on the 930 points, but it bares no reference here.

This is a brand new chip design on a brand new processor node featuring the next gen ARM 57 successor the A72 chip coupled with a brand new mali GPU.

There literally is zero things on the earth to compare it too beyond just whatever ARM reference designs might be.

Even if this chipset doesn't totally pan out at the very least it gives us more insight into the A72 chip which is the real star of the show here.
It could be fairy dust, but the point is they haven't been very promising in the past.
In the Anandtech article you mentioned it is pointed out that they opted for a small GPU at high clocks to save die space (price) at the cost of efficiency.

A72s are better than A57s, but the difference isn't very big in the mobile world and everybody not Apple will be using them so it's not a unique advantage. Same with the GPU which is also designed by ARM.

It probably wouldn't be Kirin 930 levels of awfulness (needs more A53s at 2+Ghz), but regardless of Antutu numbers I don't think this will be a top contender.

Noema

Can't say I like where the company is headed. When they were under Google they consolidated their devices a bit. Now I feel like they just want to see what sticks.

Yeah, I get that they are focusing on low end / mid range phones since that's what sells in emerging markets but why do they need so many variants? Make 3 phones:

Moto E (basically the 3rd gen Moto G, maybe smaller, sell it for $170)

Moto G (basically the Moto X Play. Sell it for $250. Reserve the Moto X brand for the flagship)

Moto X (the Moto X Style, $400)

The other day I walked into Best Buy and they had over 12 different Moto phones, ranging from the E to the 2014 X to the Maxx to the Nexus 6. That's a nightmare of confusion for the average consumer.

Furyous

What a bizarre complaint.

Think about it: most people don't have 4K TVs or computers that can display those photos at full resolution. That didn't stop Sony from placing a 4K camera in the Z5C with a 720p display. At least give us a 1080p display to go along with the 4K camera as a key differentiator. Ionno, it seems really ass backwards. This came to me as I watched Btekt's review of the z5c camera functions.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone with a 6P

If you press the battery icon in the notification shade does your phone stutter and freeze up for a second then move to a white screen then show the battery stats with only 1 item in it showing with a number "1" ?

Even going to the battery in the multitasking menu freezes up. And I need to reboot a few times to fix it.

Anyone with a 6P

If you press the battery icon in the notification shade does your phone stutter and freeze up for a second then move to a white screen then show the battery stats with only 1 item in it showing with a number "1" ?

Even going to the battery in the multitasking menu freezes up. And I need to reboot a few times to fix it.
Nope battery info sxrolls up from the bottom when I do it

ukas

Anyone with a 6P

Negative

Husker86

Anyone with a 6P

Has never happened to me (and I check battery stats a few times a day because I'm weird).

Anyone with a 6P

Nope. What in the world?

CronoShot

Anyone with a 6P

No sir.

Saiyan-Rox

Huh what the actaul hell

I tried to get a screenshot of the way the screen goes but the whole system locks up when it happens for those couple of seconds.

It's fine now but this is the third time it's happened.

Maybe a total reflash of the stock OS is in order...but I don't wanna unlock the bootloader ffs.

Proxy

My 6P finally shipped and Google gave me free overnight so it should be here tomorrow. Well ahead of the original 18-20th estimate but I feel like it really shouldn't have taken almost a month to get it.

Agent

Anyone with a 6P

I was about to say no to this, but literally as I tried it I had the same thing happen. I've been checking the stats alot the last 2 days and it never happened before. Its charging now, wonder if that has something to do with it?

Jzero

The Nexus 5 i sold my buddy a while ago turns on and then off again at the Google logo. I told him to go in the bootloader and it also switches on and off. Is it probably the buttons being shitty?

Groof

The Nexus 5 i sold my buddy a while ago turns on and then off again at the Google logo. I told him to go in the bootloader and it also switches on and off. Is it probably the buttons being shitty?
This happened to me two days ago. The power button is stuck. If you pull on it a bit it'll fix itself

tzare

Do both.

Imagine an IR remote app with one volume button and one channel button. Push to go up. Push harder to go down.

you should be hired by apple... no wait no IR blaster there. By samsung then.... no they ditched it too on the Note 5 :(

You can always work at huawei :)

Having everything is fine if no or small compromises. Wonder how will those force touch screens affect battery capacity if implemented on Android devices.

Kuros

It's the power button. It can be replaced prery easily.

That shit really makes me afraid to use the power button, as stupid as it sounds. Much like how I want to use the home button on my iPad as little as possible, because I'm afraid it might break. Except there's no alternative way to turn the phone on.

Kuros

That shit really makes me afraid to use the power button, as stupid as it sounds. Much like how I want to use the home button on my iPad as little as possible, because I'm afraid it might break. Except there's no alternative way to turn the phone on.

I had two nexus 5's. First one's power button lasted about 13 months. But we get a 24month warranty from the play store in the UK. The replacement lasted 9 months. They sent me a third which i put on ebay and flogged as new. Fuck that for a third time (and the initial warranty was running out)

Google Wallet app doesn't support Nexus Imprint. I don't want to say I'm not surprised...but I'm not surprised.

Google Wallet is clearly getting the pushed-out-to-water-on-an-ice-floe treatment from Google.

It will probably never be updated ever again and then quietly killed in a couple of years.

Damn the Priv doesn't look too bad at all. Wish they released an updated Classic with the Android OS. I'd totally replace my work phone with an updated BlackBerry Classic running Android.

Google Wallet is clearly getting the pushed-out-to-water-on-an-ice-floe treatment from Google.

It will probably never be updated ever again and then quietly killed in a couple of years.
I don't think that'll happen. Wallet and Pay are two sides of the same coin, and do different things. Besides, they just updated the app yesterday.

I actually hope the Priv does well. More competition is always good for consumers in the end.
I agree, it seems to be a really good phone, but I think with that price and carriers moving away from subsidies, it's not gonna do too hot.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
yeah, $700 is a lot, I especially like this feature:

Unlike, say, the Android app launcher you'll find on Samsung's Note Edge, BlackBerry hasn't seen fit to do much with the sloping sides of its curved screen. The only really worthwhile use, so far, is that when the display is off and charging, a green power indicator bar runs up the right-hand curve. It's rather sweet, since it creeps towards the top of the device the fuller your battery gets. Again, not a groundbreaking piece of work, but it's a cute touch from a company that's rarely known for such fripperies.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/blackberry-priv-review/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom