• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when all of you were bitching about how ugly the hump looks and how awful it all is and I was the defender of it saying it will look better in person and whatnot.

I won.

Played with the 6p for like 15 minutes. Holy shit it feels so nice on the hand, really premium feeling and its heavy. The screen doesn't look that nice though. Like its really orange or something. Can't wait to play with it more tomorrow. Beautiful phone BTW. Pictures don't do this phone any justice.

You think it's heavy? I thought it was super light honestly.

Woah...it sounds like a delivery attempt of my 6P was made today. I expected next Monday through to Wednesday. The phone company said when I ordered it that they require the account holder with government-issued photo ID to be the one to receive it from the delivery person, and there was a package today my mum wasn't allowed to sign for... I don't think I can pick it up until Saturday from the post office. Still earlier than I expected!

Bend test some posters in this ot
We would need to get to know each other better first.

So weak. I just ordered a 6P again after cancelling my last order. Atleast there is a 2 week testing period where I can return or I could sell it I guess. Really didn't want to pay taxes on it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember when all of you were bitching about how ugly the hump looks and how awful it all is and I was the defender of it saying it will look better in person and whatnot.

I won.
No. That was me.

VoxPop

Lol bendgate is stupid as shit but it's not like people cut Apple any slack. I'm more concerned about how it scratches so easily tbh. I'll have my hands on time with it soon.

Jzero

Still getting meh battery on my 6P

H2GU10U.png
9EAMi7l.png
GdkX8UY.png

tzare

I'm less excited, because everything you listed makes me think "hey, that's neat", but never "omg, it's the future of UI and UX! I need that!". At least it seems more useful than multi-touch.

exactly, that is the point. It is nice but not necessary.
And one thing is implement it on iOS , so 3-4 devices a year with a common UI, than implementing on Android with thousands of OEMs adding their own vision (and that is a bad a good thing at the same time) until google thinks it is worth and implements it as a standard and with guidelines, like they made with material design or cecentrly with fingerprint scanner. So iOS first until it matures and proves that is a necessary tech to be included makes sense from Android pow. Now it isn't.

And then priorities: force touch is nice to have, just like other things like leds, fm radio, nfc, ir blaster etc etc..... and it also has affected battery size on this year's iphones, since they are a bit smaller, so it has some drawbacks too. And price maybe. Apple with their huge margins can afford that, not sure Android OEMs can do, at least not all of them, again Fingerprint scanner comes to mind: it is been a while since it was made popular by apple and LG or Motorola still do not use it and sony just recently.

So again, it needs to prove being useful enough, consistent, affordable and if it means leaving other features behind too , better than those. And for me and many others that is not the case.

To show off to the poor peasants that probably use Android phones

It's understandable that you've come to the realization that you don't need to pay a ton of money for a satisfying phone experience. With that said the Z3 Compact is still a much better phone and still blows out the Moto G in performance. The One Plus X will likely do the same and it's only $30 - $50 more...

Not sure how much you paid for your Xperia or why you were very unsatisfied...

I got a two years contract on the Xperia paying 20€/month. My audio jack died, the display was gradually loosening (could peel it off on the upper side of the phone if I wanted to) and I had two long, fine cracks on the backside despite never dropping it. Abysmal build quality; my 2010 iPhone 4 is still in significantly better shape and I used that for 4 years.
Two weeks ago though, I accidentally dropped a bottle on my Sony lol.

I literally don't have a single game on my cell phone. I don't play mobile at all which is why the Moto G 3rd Gen offers the exact same experience but for like a third of the price.

Guys, you're my only hope. My Moto X Pure Edition is pissing me off.

All of my notifications are quiet at first and get louder after a second or so. It's really freakin' annoying, especially since the Nexus 5 I had for two years didn't have this problem so it's obvious that Motorola decided to fuck with it with their version of the OS.

Is there any way to fix this? As outrageous as it sounds, I'd be tempted to send it back for a Nexus 5X/6P if I can't figure this shit out.

Yeah, but it did look like shit in the leaked photos, so what's your point?
the point is people always draw conclusions/judge too soon lol

Happens with everything in this thread from designs to actual features. There was a time people here were saying fingerprint scanners are useless and unnecessary. A phone would leak and it's uggo and it sucks and what were they thinking. Etc...same thing is actually happening with 3d touch and a few of you.

Doesn't it hurt to be wrong so damn often haha.

the point is people always draw conclusions/judge too soon lol

Happens with everything in this thread from designs to actual features. There was a time people here were saying fingerprint scanners are useless and unnecessary. A phone would leak and it's uggo and it sucks and what were they thinking. Etc...same thing is actually happening with 3d touch and a few of you.

Doesn't it hurt to be wrong so damn often haha.

I still don't see how it's wrong. People reacted to the leaked pictures and it looked like shit in those. Once better pictures appeared, people changed their mind, because it didn't look like shit anymore. Crazy, right? I don't see the issue.

Same goes for Force Touch. People haven't used it or the demos they're seen didn't impress them. How is it wrong to say that you don't need force touch? Or that fucking fingerprint reader.

All you mention is convenient shit, but hardly amazing or revolutionary. I'm sure that people said the same about multi-touch, when Apple showed it on the first iPhone. "Neat and cool, but I don't need it" and it's still not wrong, btw.

tzare

Just saying people have the tendency to be close-minded and negative nancies. That's pretty much it.

others tend to overeact to some features, especially from XXX manufacturer. So i guess it is a tie. You want force touch, i want IR blaster. Who's wrong or who is right?

others tend to overeact to some features, especially from XXX manufacturer. So i guess it is a tie. You want force touch, i want IR blaster. Who's wrong or who is right?
serious question as I never followed the feature but don't most/all flagships from 2015 have an IR blaster? The S6/G4/M9 have one for sure I think. Not sure what else.

Both of you are wrong, because wireless charging is more important.
I'm waiting for TRUE wireless charging.

Husker86

Just saying people have the tendency to be close-minded and negative nancies. That's pretty much it.

Wow. I hope you don't think you're not one of those people you speak of. ;)

Guys, you're my only hope. My Moto X Pure Edition is pissing me off.

All of my notifications are quiet at first and get louder after a second or so. It's really freakin' annoying, especially since the Nexus 5 I had for two years didn't have this problem so it's obvious that Motorola decided to fuck with it with their version of the OS.

Is there any way to fix this? As outrageous as it sounds, I'd be tempted to send it back for a Nexus 5X/6P if I can't figure this shit out.

I'm pretty sure Moto calls that a feature.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still don't see how it's wrong. People reacted to the leaked pictures and it looked like shit in those. Once better pictures appeared, people changed their mind, because it didn't look like shit anymore. Crazy, right? I don't see the issue.

Same goes for Force Touch. People haven't used it or the demos they're seen didn't impress them. How is it wrong to say that you don't need force touch? Or that fucking fingerprint reader.

All you mention is convenient shit, but hardly amazing or revolutionary. I'm sure that people said the same about multi-touch, when Apple showed it on the first iPhone. "Neat and cool, but I don't need it" and it's still not wrong, btw.
You don't need to use force touch to understand how it's useful. You just need some imagination.

It will be awesome. I am so pumped. I hope it kills long press, which is the worst input action out there. It makes input feel slow because you have to wait. No matter how long the delay it, it's a delay.

Here's how i see it, i will remain skeptical about Force Touch until the very moment i see that it won't be a horrible hassle to implement and support in web apps and sites among various browsers on mobile. :)

*Why doesn't anyone think of the developers*

tzare

serious question as I never followed the feature but don't most/all flagships from 2015 have an IR blaster? The S6/G4/M9 have one for sure I think. Not sure what else.

Note 5 is lacking IR blaster, not sure about S6 since i into phablet territoy now and smaller phones are not in my radar, but Huawei phablets i think they have IR blaster too, but Nexus doesn't. I think LG and M9 also have IR blasters too. It is a really convenient feature really. At least for me.

Both of you are wrong, because wireless charging is more important.
Yup, i think it is important, not yet, but once wireless charging is included in furniture or TVs it will be mainstream since now you have to buy dedicated chargers. Same can be said about fast charging or USB C. IF it is available for cheap or everywhere, then it becomes useful. I am planning to buy a wireless charging kit for my note 4.

But yes it is a good feature to have, for me above force touch.

You don't need to use force touch to understand how it's useful. You just need some imagination.
Usefeul, sure. Necessary or a priority? not really.

That's okay. You can wait another 5 or more years for true wireless charging and I continue to limit myself to one or less devices per year that come with Qi charging and still suck somehow. Everybody loses wins.

It will be awesome. I am so pumped. I hope it kills long press, which is the worst input action out there. It makes input feel slow because you have to wait. No matter how long the delay it, it's a delay.

Again, I'm not saying that it won't be useful. I'm just saying that it's not a feature I necessarily need. Just like the fingerprint reader or Windows Hello. I'm sure going to appreciate it, once I got it, but I never felt the need to buy a device because of it.

Speaking of fingerprint readers. Can they replace your password in apps? I launched the Steam app on my phone today and had to put in my password again. Would a fringerprint reader help me in that case, once I tell it what the password is?

Maiar_m

That's all well and good, but I still would rather see improvement on critical UI and UX issues before an arm race to implement a juvenile feature that isn't much more today than a cool but severely under-used, pricey toy to have. I prefer improvements on what's already there rather than adding an imperfect tool to an already flawed product.

I'll have to wait and see on that, pretty sure lollipop made the same claim
I can tell you from my trusty old N5 and N7 2013 that Marshmallow is in a whole other league than Lollipop.
Really pleased with performance and battery-savings so far. A fitting metaphor would be Lollipop = Vista and Marshmallow = Win 7.

Of course, i can't say if performance and battery will stay at that level in the future. ^^

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Your new Android gods in Huawei took this time to let you know they are styling all over Qualcomm.

Shit just got real bros

http://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-hisilicon-kirin-950-official-653811/

Huawei-HiSilicon-Kirin.jpg

Mobile chip developers have been lining up their next generation hardware for a few months now and Huawei’s HiSilicon has just announced its new high-end Kirin 950, and it’s a beast.

We’ll start with the main processing components, the CPU and GPU. The Kirin 950 is the first SoC based on ARM’s big.LITTLE technology to make use of four Cortex-A72 and four Cortex A53 CPU cores, combined with a Mali-T880 GPU for some serious all-around performance.

Architecturally, it’s quite a fair comparison to make to the octa-core A57/A53 big.LITTLE chips that have proven popular this generation. The Cortex-A72 found in the Kirin 950 offers an 11 percent performance boost and 20 percent reduction in power consumption when compared with an A57, while HiSilicon is boasting a 100 percent increase in GPU performance over its last chip that used a Mali-T760.

Some of these gains also come from the chip’s move on down to TSMC’s 16nm FinFET manufacturing process, marking another industry first for the Kirin 950. This puts the chip ahead of this generation’s Snapdragon 810, which was produced at 20nm, and on par with Samsung’s 14nm process. It is also a notable jump from the Kirin 930’s 28nm design.

ARM-Cortex-A72-reduced-power-710x399.jpg

Hasney

Weird question, but can all Chinese SoCs be trusted?

I remember someone in here saying that the Mediatek was a real case of silicon lottery in terms of performance, but I can't find the post.

That Helio looks cool if it can be consistent, sip battery and not overheat, so we'll need to wait on real world performance. It will lack GPU performance to Qualcomm, but that won't matter if they can price it good enough for the mid range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom