• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true. Man, if it had a fingerprint scanner it'd be killer. Too bad. Should still be decent. Band support for canadian carriers looks fine.

headphone jack at the top.....ergh....

cube444

I'm confused about something guys. Is the Nexus 6P for sure capable of LTE advanced capabilities? I remember reading that awhile back but whenever I go on my Bell network, I never see the LTE + but instead see just the regular LTE for the cellular network.

clav

I'm confused about something guys. Is the Nexus 6P for sure capable of LTE advanced capabilities? I remember reading that awhile back but whenever I go on my Bell network, I never see the LTE + but instead see just the regular LTE for the cellular network.
It supports 2x2 MIMO (bond two LTE signals for faster speeds in carrier aggregation).

clav

So how would one ever go about seeing such speeds?

Depends on how the carrier deploys it in the area.

After doing a few searches, looks like Bell is deploying carrier aggregation.

This should all be automatic. From the basic end user standpoint, you'll just see LTE as long as you have a capable phone (modem).

You can confirm it doing a speedtest. Sometimes updating the PRL and Profile can help although I'm not familiar with Canadian wireless carriers.

Articalys

For the Marshmallow feature that lets you add a SD card to the total available main storage pool, is there a recommended minimum card speed or would a generic store brand card work fine for normal use?

Pyrokai

Well, guys.....I did it. I did the responsible thing and cancelled my 6P order and got a 5X instead. It hurt to do that, but I need the cheapest
Nexus
phone possible. I'm just not doing well financially enough to right now to go full 6P. Maybe next year I'll go flagship premium, but this year in going upper mid-tier.

It'll also be a test run for screen size and if I can go larger.

Man....it seriously hurts to have switched like that, but I had to :( .

Also, I'll get it next week instead of the end of the month. My iPhone now is cracked to hell and hard to use.

Seath, I'm very sorry for abandoning you as a Huawei-site order buddy. I hope your 6P finds its way to you soon :)

NotBacon

For the Marshmallow feature that lets you add a SD card to the total available main storage pool, is there a recommended minimum card speed or would a generic store brand card work fine for normal use?

Get something at least Class 10. If it's going to integrate with the internal eMMC then you will definitely notice if you cheap out.

Saiyan-Rox

Heh still no OTA on my N6P

I'm waiting cause I know its only a security update but boy people weren't kidding when they said it can take ages for the OTA to get to you.

EvetS

gTMPrPM.jpg

Excited yet?

doing a battery drain, closed all apps except youtube and just streamed it with screen on. Battery Percentage are a joke with screen and youtube the only thing reporting higher than 2% it only equals 40% adding it all up. Estimate of use once battery saver auto turned on was 39 more minutes. no WIFI on, cellular data only (green coverage)

Youtube
3h 16m CPU total
3h 15m CPU foreground
797mAh

screen
100% to 15%
3h 44m 374mAh
Screen brightness 30ish% with auto brightness

I should use some other app next time to full on use as i know if i just used browser and keep the screen on i was getting at least twice that without really doing a test

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why did Doze take seven years to figure out?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google is too busy making Hangouts worse while also making a few more messaging apps.

EvetS

they're almost at the render!!

Is the fingerprint scanner on the back of this one?

Qualcomm supersonic fp scanner under the screen.

Just kidding. Knowing HTC it'll not have a scanner.

Edit: blurry bullet points
Silky smooth touch - pressure xxx sensitivity
More in every inch - xx% screen to body ratio
Shoot like a pro - xxx & raw capture for xxx imaging
Cinematic surround sound - htc boomsound with dolby audio surround

Excited yet?

Qualcomm supersonic fp scanner under the screen.

Edit: blurry bullet points
Silky smooth touch - pressure xxx sensitivity
More in every inch - xx% screen to body ratio
Shoot like a pro - xxx & raw capture for xxx imaging
Cinematic surround sound - htc boomsound with dolby audio surround

Excited yet?
more in every inch...except for the inch taken up by our logo on the front for some reason

dralla

I just my new phone (Xperia Z3, 32GB T-Mobile model), it only cost me $315. It has band 12 support which is surpringly rare these days, and it has WiFi calling, which is great since my plan is only 100 minutes. BUT! T-Mobile Band 12 LTE is LEGIT. Look at this speed from inside my supermarket.

Faster than my home internet. Such a massive difference in speed compared to my previous phone.

vdlow

I just my new phone (Xperia Z3, 32GB T-Mobile model), it only cost me $315. It has band 12 support which is surpringly rare these days, and it has WiFi calling, which is great since my plan is only 100 minutes. BUT! T-Mobile Band 12 LTE is LEGIT. Look at this speed from inside my supermarket.

Faster than my home internet. Such a massive difference in speed compared to my previous phone.

Damn, I came here to talk exactly about my Z3 that I've got yesterday. Coincidences...

So, I had a Moto Maxx (international Droid Turbo) and replaced it with a Z3. On the specsheet, the Maxx wins easily. But since 5.0, in April, the phone became a buggy mess, full of slowdowns and freezings. The 5.1 update won't come and God knows when they will release Marshmallow. Typical Lenovo's Motorola fuck up

So I decided to sell it and get a Z3 for a small difference. Best decision I've made. The phone design is miles ahead, Sony's 5.1 is really good, close to stock and with nice additions, and battery life is actually better since there's no QHD screen sucking battery.

It's just a pity that Sony is struggling so much. They make really nice devices but their strategy is so messed up. I hope they can recover and keep themselves on the market.

Peru

Have I missed some news here - embedded youtube vids (forums etc) say "plugin not supported" on chrome - that goes for my android phone and android tablet. Works on the 'internet' browser.

this_guy

Band 12 is 5x5 bandwidth which maxes out at 37mbps, so that speed test is not band 12.

No Love

Banned
I love Quick Charge 2.0 so, so much. Ordered a wall charger, portable 10400 mah battery, and car charger a week or two ago. It's so awesome to effortlessly charge your phone with just a few minutes. Can't wait for USB Type C/Quick Charge 3.0.

I bought a ZeroLemon 9500mah extended battery too but with how fast QC 2.0 + convenience of a portable battery, it's been relegated to "spare emergency battery in case I'm stuck in the wilderness" status.

Symphonia

Banned
For some reason, YouTube now refuses to display 1080p60 videos on my Samsung Galaxy S5. I know the video in question is 1080p60 enabled as it displays and plays like that on my laptop and when I use YouTube on my phone via the desktop site, but the app itself just doesn't display '1080p60' on the quality selection menu. Is this an isolated incident or has anyone else run in to this?

Ixian

Z3 is nice phone; it's a shame that it feels like such a risk to invest in a Sony smartphone at this point due to how poorly that division is doing.

LG G3 user here.

So now that I have managed to resist the introductory price of the A9 and not waste my money on giving it a flyer, what would you guys recommend if I was in the market to upgrade. I'm just one of those fools who likes something new and shiny. The G3 is still performing well for the most part.

I thought I could handle the 6P but after playing around with one at work, I can't. I just can't. Far too big for me no matter how nice it is. Should I try a 5X? Or just wait till next year to see what comes out? I'm thinking at this point its either a 5X or just wait, no?

Have any of you been using Google Now on Tap frequently? Are you finding it useful or is it still a work in process?

Also, how are apps dealing with any permissions being withdrawn? Do they fail gracefully at the point where they need that permission or is there an error message on app startup?

Cheap out on the card, or use the feature at all? I checked and the one I have is class 10, but it's also a store brand, so I'm not sure which way that leans. It's just a thing I got from a free promotion at a local electronics store.

Don't make SD card part of local storage.

Most people who use SD cards typically store just media like music, photos, videos, etc. on it. Some apps will detect the SD card and install data to it, many games are like this. The game apk itself stays in local storage as it should.

Unless you have an 8 GB or 16 GB local storage phone, you should have plenty of space for your apps.

Have any of you been using Google Now on Tap frequently? Are you finding it useful or is it still a work in process?

Also, how are apps dealing with any permissions being withdrawn? Do they fail gracefully at the point where they need that permission or is there an error message on app startup?

i use it semi-regularly now. It will crash sometimes if you do it against something with massive amount of text

I had Skype crash when trying to remove a contact from it after not giving it permission to read my contacts. It would do this both times I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom