• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkboy

Debating between the Nexus 6 and the Moto X Pure.

I'm leaning towards the Moto X for two reasons,

A) the micro SD card.

B) the Moto X supports lte band 1,3 and 5, which my provider here in South Korea uses.

The plus for the nexus is its 64GB vs 16GB for $399 and (so far) a much better lineup of accessories.

I'm currently using a Nexus 5 (international model) and I'm coming back stateside in Dec, which is why I need a new phone.

next Note probably is gonna be a biblical multitasking beast

Samsung Launches Industry’s First 12Gb LPDDR4 DRAM
http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ches-Industry’s-12Gb-LPDDR4-DRAM#.Ve-5tBFVhBd

Will it still be limited to 4-5 running background processes before the system starts killing them like on the S6/Note5?

Big phones are the future. Accept it.

The future? Big phones have been the present for like 3 years now. I mean even Apple is making big phones now, that's how you know big phones have made it

tzare

when did this thread become so elitist

well, whe talk about apple all the time so...

On a serious note, do not know about Blu, but if they release a top tier phone with a low price... wasn't that what people have been asking for all the time?
Btw, are Blu and the like big companies? Why do they bother to make skins and just go stiock? IT would be cheaper for them and easier for customers.

Just look at BQ in spain, decent phones , decent prices, almost stock

Edit: maybe i didn't read, but samsung has published on play store its own web browser that is pretty decent
edit 2: Xperia z5 premium is running upscaled 1080p UI instead of native 4k. lol

vivftp

edit 2: Xperia z5 premium is running upscaled 1080p UI instead of native 4k. lol

This was rumoured since before the product announcement. It shouldn't come as a surprise and is the best possible solution they could have come up with.

tzare

This was rumoured since before the product announcement. It shouldn't come as a surprise and is the best possible solution they could have come up with.

well, what is the point of a 4K screen besides marketing then? I mean, afaik, 2K smartphones use that resolution instead of upscaling.
I hope at least some apps run at 4k because reading text or web browsing is probably where the boost in resolution is more noticeable.

Will it still be limited to 4-5 running background processes before the system starts killing them like on the S6/Note5?

The future? Big phones have been the present for like 3 years now. I mean even Apple is making big phones now, that's how you know big phones have made it

Don't you mean 2 or 3 processes and still have to refresh webpages all the time?

vivftp

well, what is the point of a 4K screen besides marketing then? I mean, afaik, 2K smartphones use that resolution instead of upscaling.
I hope at least some apps run at 4k because reading text or web browsing is probably where the boost in resolution is more noticeable.

Higher resolution photo viewing and native resolution playback of the 4K videos you record with this very device (plus other 4K videos you might want to watch)

Plus potentially any other 4K apps Sony might want to bring out like VR

tzare

Higher resolution photo viewing and native resolution playback of the 4K videos you record with this very device (plus other 4K videos you might want to watch)

Plus potentially any other 4K apps Sony might want to bring out like VR

well, seems a bit of wasted resources to me but i guess they want to be the first to do 4K. SOny should put they shit together, they make really good smartphones, but their strategy is amateur at best.

Groof

Artem Russakovskii
Shared publicly - 09:12

Google is testing Google Camera 3.0 on upcoming Nexus devices. Smart Burst (which we touched on before), Camera2 API, and some more stuff that we may detail in a bit should be coming.

took them long enough

ArchAngel

As a nexus guy, the Z5 Premium will be my new phone if the Huawei N6 sucks. Really like the screen (with upscaled 1080p) and the fingerprint sensor on the side. Would still wait for sale as 800$ is too much.

Toki767

I notice most new Toyota vehicles now come with qi wireless charging docks. I hope more cars do that just for the sake of convenience.

Maiar_m

It's funny because we see more QI charging peripherals appear but so few of the phones revealed lately actually have wireless charging. It'll be great to have it as a standard in your car but unavailable in phones :p

tzare

It's funny because we see more QI charging peripherals appear but so few of the phones revealed lately actually have wireless charging. It'll be great to have it as a standard in your car but unavailable in phones :p

it is easy to make the joke, but until iphones ship with built-in wireless charging.....

thuway

Ugh I'm still wondering when the next big upgrade will be for phones. Samsung used to do it all for me - powerful, best in class camera, best in class display, and removable battery/SD Card with easy to root OS.

The game has changed :(.

Huawei Nexus please be OLED and 5.7 inches.

Mindwipe

Other IFA thoughts -

That HiSense Magic Mirror is really nice in the hand. The corners are as sharp as fuck though, you could have someone's eye out. The skin didn't really feel like Android at all, but was executed well. Really interesting device. No plans to release in the west said the rep though...

The 360v2 was... well it was alright. It just felt uninspiring. The hardware isn't as attractive as the Huawei or the Gear V2, but it is slightly, slightly thinner than the former.

The screen sharpening on the Zenpad didn't feel nearly as bad as some reviews said. Device is kinda nice, but they should scrap the chrome trim. But the skin was stinky, stinky bad, much worse than Touchwiz. Not my N7 replacement.

Some of the ZTE stuff was pretty nice considering the pricing. I didn't like the styling of the Axon at all, but the dual camera thing worked well.

To be honest, apart from skins, a lot of the Chinese mid range stuff was good. It's easy to see why traditional Android OEMs are struggling there, and once they've got western software figured out they could be quite scary.

Isn't it already in the Android API and has been for years? Probably be a quick turnaround if it's useful. It's always seemed relatively pointless anyway.
1) I don't think it's the same and 2) that's because Android OEMs don't have any ideas for the most part. Developers seem the same.

It's implementation that is key. I'm sure exactly how it's used on the new iphones is what samsung and co will copy in 2016. Once Apple hands it off devs for ios will make it takeoff and then it'll be the next must have thing.

tzare

however apple implements force touch is what will be copied

if it is just gimmicks i doubt it will be a real thing. It may be implemented and copied because if it becomes a selling point.... Well Huawei has it on its devices so we can see how things develop.
I find hard to see an interesting use for resistive/touch force screens but i wish i am proven wrong.

Isn't it already in the Android API and has been for years? Probably be a quick turnaround if it's useful. It's always seemed relatively pointless anyway.

i think the same, force touch is equivalent to long press for me , but as i said, i wish to be proven wrong

that's because Android OEMs don't have any ideas for the most part. Developers seem the same.

i doubt the rest of the world hasn't ideas about new features and only apple cann 'innovate'. It is like wireless charging, it is useful enough, has been there for a while, but unfortunately it seems some brands like apple like have the popularity to make it mainstream (even if not necessary sometimes)

if it is just gimmicks i doubt it will be a real thing. It may be implemented and copied because if it becomes a selling point.... Well Huawei has it on its devices so we can see how things develop.
I find hard to see an interesting use for resistive/touch force screens but i wish i am proven wrong.

i think the same, force touch is equivalent to long press for me , but as i said, i wish to be proven wrong
It's all about finding useful reasons for it to exist, which I'm sure they did since they seem to skip over gimmicks. Here is 9to5mac a month ago detailing it:

According to sources, the iOS version of Force Touch is known internally as “Orb.” Instead of opening up a large window of extra controls that did not fit on the screen, as is done on the Apple Watch, Force Touch on the iPhone is designed to skip existing lists of options or button presses. “There is consistent usage of Force Touch across the operating system to ‘shortcut’ actions,” rather than present new options like with the Apple Watch, according to a source. The source provided a few examples:

New to the Force Touch experience, a user can look up a point of interest in the Maps application, and then Force Touch on the destination to immediately begin turn-by-turn directions. Currently, if a user wants to start navigating to a destination, she must search for the point of interest, click the navigation logo on the map view, then click another button to actually start navigating. In this case, the Force Touch gesture will skip two steps.

In the Music application, a user can Force Touch on a listed track to be presented with some of the most commonly-used actions. For instance, if a user deep presses on the listing for a song, a menu will appear to quickly add the song to a playlist or save it for offline listening. This Force Touch gesture would act as a substitute for clicking the actions button on the right side of each track listing in the Music app.

Another feature in testing, according to one source, are shortcuts that appear after Force Touching an app icon on the Home screen. For example, if a user deep presses on the Phone app icon, he could choose to shortcut directly to the Voicemail tab. This could also apply to deep pressing the News app icon and being taken directly to either the Favorites or For You tabs.

Some of the Force Touch gestures will come from Apple’s latest MacBooks. For instance, a user can Force Touch a link in Safari to see a preview of that webpage. The gesture also works for deep pressing on an address or contact name to see a preview of a map view or contact card, respectively. Similarly, a user can Force Touch a word to look up its definition.

And those are just some useful examples. It's all about integrating it naturally into the overall OS so it's not just a feature point but part of the overall experience that you don't even think about, it's just there.

tzare

It's all about finding useful reasons for it to exist, which I'm sure they did since they seem to skip over gimmicks. Here is 9to5mac a month ago detailing it:

And those are just some useful examples. It's all about integrating it naturally into the overall OS so it's not just a feature point but part of the overall experience that you don't even think about, it's just there.

well, those seem gimmicks to me. I mean, nice to have if you wish, but not really necessary. Plus it can lead to confusion with long presses or even cause issues by pressing too hard (you know, people put spens and usbs the wrong way all the time).

We will see in a few hours though. ANd while not an apple fan, i wish there was something in the horizon to be excited hardware wise, but i doubt this will be the next big thing.

Yeah, in gonna have to agree with tzare. Nothing about those forcetouch examples sound anything special to me. Some of that could be done with a long press. The rest just sounds like app shortcuts. Not saying it's not useful, as anything to help people navigate the OS faster is good, but none of that stands out to me as the next big thing. But like you said, Pyro, if it takes off in a big way, it'll be because of third parties.

Edit: And yeah, I can also see it being confusing for a number of people.

zbeeb

Sounds like it will suffer the same issues the menu button in android suffered - poor visibility. Although in this case if they are purely shortcuts and there remains a longer way to achieve the task, then it may be useful for power users. The challenge is the constantly changing functionality of the 'force touch' in each app.

tzare

The challenge is the constantly changing functionality of the 'force touch' in each app.

This seems to be the main issue. If it behaves the same for all apps, then it can be a thing, but if every app has its own use for a force touch input, then can be a mess. It could be nice if individual users could choose what a force touch does, in the UI or in-app. Just like a dedicated hardware button (like some lg devices have, or the new 1+2 silent mode switch)

Wreav

Banned
Can't wait for El Goog to add force touch shortcuts to Hangouts and pull away from the Android version even more.

Talon

well, whe talk about apple all the time so...

On a serious note, do not know about Blu, but if they release a top tier phone with a low price... wasn't that what people have been asking for all the time?
Btw, are Blu and the like big companies? Why do they bother to make skins and just go stiock? IT would be cheaper for them and easier for customers.

Just look at BQ in spain, decent phones , decent prices, almost stock

Edit: maybe i didn't read, but samsung has published on play store its own web browser that is pretty decent
Blu is like the most budget of budget phone makers.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Samsung announces new RAM chips.

6GB variant takes up the same amount of space as the current 3GB variants in current phones. Supposedly faster too. They got 2 chip 3GB or 4 chip 6GB LPDDR4.

I bet the GS7 ships with the 6GB.

popeutlal

New Zenfone 2 update improves the battery life tremendously and all bloatware can be disabled. Great phone for folks on a low budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom