• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i use it semi-regularly now. It will crash sometimes if you do it against something with massive amount of text

Don't think I've ever used google now on tap. I just don't come across any opportunities and I use my tablet every night.

I am hoping I can force it to read a whatsapp message/non-gmail email and have a quick way to add a calendar entry.

I had Skype crash when trying to remove a contact from it after not giving it permission to read my contacts. It would do this both times I tried.

That's a shame. So many apps I have started installing but cancelled after seeing the permissions they require. Was hoping this would still let me use the main features without granting the app permission to take my firstborn.

Articalys

Don't make SD card part of local storage.

Most people who use SD cards typically store just media like music, photos, videos, etc. on it. Some apps will detect the SD card and install data to it, many games are like this. The game apk itself stays in local storage as it should.

Unless you have an 8 GB or 16 GB local storage phone, you should have plenty of space for your apps.
Really... I wonder who the feature's aimed at then. Was mostly asking for future reference; I'm not much of an app fiend right now though that's partially because my current phone is ancient, and might change once I finally get something newer. I can't imagine they'd take up a ton of space aside from graphics/music heavy games though.

Furyous

LG G3 user here.

So now that I have managed to resist the introductory price of the A9 and not waste my money on giving it a flyer, what would you guys recommend if I was in the market to upgrade. I'm just one of those fools who likes something new and shiny. The G3 is still performing well for the most part.

I thought I could handle the 6P but after playing around with one at work, I can't. I just can't. Far too big for me no matter how nice it is. Should I try a 5X? Or just wait till next year to see what comes out? I'm thinking at this point its either a 5X or just wait, no?

Xperia Z5 or the Z5C for one main reason:

Sony supports the open source community. 5.2 inches with the S810 but comes with two day battery life.

The Z5C is literally in class by itself as the closest device in size that matches it is the GS6.

There aren't a lot of flagships for people that like small to mid size devices. The 5X is the same size as the G3. As yourself would you want a G3 without an ir blaster, microsd support, or removable battery. That should answer your question.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I disabled Tap, since it's no use for me.

I didn't even know it was region restricted. Google Now works for me on lollipop, no idea what idiot at Google disabled it for marshmallow.

Edit: how do I disable it? I'm just going to replace the home button functionality with Cortana.

Edit 2: Cortana doesn't work on tablets, but I'd still like to disable Google now if it won't work for me.

Can't even imagine how battery life is with Marshmallow. If it can improve on the 6+h I get with Lollipop, I'll be stunned.

It feels like I get about an hour more. I'll try to update after my shift with battery stats

Where did you get that?

If you're not an official beta tester for it, it's available on XDA. No root or bootloader needed, takes about 15 minutes. It's also available for the Z3C.

Only thing you'll miss out on is DT2W... And I can't say I miss it. Much less in the way of wakelocks thanks to that.

Marshmallow shits all over Lollipop, even with how smooth 5.1.1 was for the Z3. It's just so damn snappy and smooth.

screenshot_20151108-0leut5.png

Also: since this is an official, stock Sony 6.0 build, we have the proper camera DRM and Sony features, but the overall experience is closer to stock than ever. This is the first time I've felt a skin is BETTER than stock.

Got a Oneplus X invite on Friday, so thought I'd have a look at the Oneplus forums to see what people's first impressions where...

Jesus Christ, I won't be going back there in a hurry, the things I've seen!

I'm surprised you found something on the OPO forums that wasn't begging for invites

Oh there was plenty of that, I feel most sorry for one guy who had bought an X from one of the pop up shops and was offering to answer questions. People were hounding him about all sorts, asking him to drop test it, run battery drains and such, one guy was freaking out because the dialer app didn't have a black background when using the dark theme (like seriously, who gives a fuck??).

Some strange people in the world.

Talon

Have any of you been using Google Now on Tap frequently? Are you finding it useful or is it still a work in process?

Also, how are apps dealing with any permissions being withdrawn? Do they fail gracefully at the point where they need that permission or is there an error message on app startup?
Let's just say Now on Tap really shows how the Now team was stripped away from Android and packed under Search.

clav

First major on hub update is out

OnHub runs on Gentoo, I think.

Hope Google can bake some decent firmware.

I just bricked two routers this past weekend trying to upgrade to Kernel 3 Linux for better QoS. Going to revive them later. Seems like OpenWRT has it sorted out with the release of 15.05. DD-WRT users need to go through a specific upgrade build process.

soo you know how you all complain about hangouts...well i never had a problem til now. Randomly group SMS's will stop working where i can't send any msg out and like 90% of the msg's come in and the only fix is to restart the phone to fix it

Esqueleto

Banned
It feels like I get about an hour more. I'll try to update after my shift with battery stats

If you're not an official beta tester for it, it's available on XDA. No root or bootloader needed, takes about 15 minutes. It's also available for the Z3C.

Only thing you'll miss out on is DT2W... And I can't say I miss it. Much less in the way of wakelocks thanks to that.

Marshmallow shits all over Lollipop, even with how smooth 5.1.1 was for the Z3. It's just so damn snappy and smooth.

Also: since this is an official, stock Sony 6.0 build, we have the proper camera DRM and Sony features, but the overall experience is closer to stock than ever. This is the first time I've felt a skin is BETTER than stock.
Version 2099 has DT2W though it still doesn't work properly. It still turns the screen on even if the proximity sensor is covered.

The only problem I'm having is you can only access the "internal memory" if you set up the SD card as internal storage. Google play music doesn't read the SD card either so it's stuck saving my music to the real internal storage. Apps on the SD card seem to load just as fast for me with a class 10 card.

Battery seems a bit worse while using it, but doze balances it out for now. I get about 2 days with 3-4 hours of the screen on. This is with 40 percent brightness, 1.5 hours of gps, and Bluetooth plus WiFi always on.

Husker86

soo you know how you all complain about hangouts...well i never had a problem til now. Randomly group SMS's will stop working where i can't send any msg out and like 90% of the msg's come in and the only fix is to restart the phone to fix it

I'm not a Hangouts hater and even I don't use it for SMS. Messenger baby.

I use hangouts for sms and texting but I fully admit it sucks. It's laggy, has weird bugs, just slower overall. Kinda uggo. It's just weird.

Messenger is slick. I didn't want to separate the two out of convenience but I'm consideirng it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I disabled Google Now stories. It was like new age spam.

Groof

I use hangouts for sms and texting but I fully admit it sucks. It's laggy, has weird bugs, just slower overall. Kinda uggo. It's just weird.

Messenger is slick. I didn't want to separate the two out of convenience but I'm consideirng it.

this was me when hangouts first got sms support. just do the switch, it saves you a lot of headaches and the experience is so much better.

Just tried out the Priv in an AT&T store. It's a really nice phone, but the keyboard is too small for me to comfortably use which is kind of the whole main draw of the device. If it was cheaper I'd consider it, but since it's way too expensive I don't know who would.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A buddy of mine who recently (a couple months ago?) switch to iPhone and wouldn't shut up about how much he liked it got an LG V10 last week. I got to play with it a little bit last night. It's a really nice phone, and if I weren't so happy with my 6P I might consider getting one.

clav

A buddy of mine who recently (a couple months ago?) switch to iPhone and wouldn't shut up about how much he liked it got an LG V10 last week. I got to play with it a little bit last night. It's a really nice phone, and if I weren't so happy with my 6P I might consider getting one.

Why did he switch?

Do you guys have trouble with chrome on mobile gaf? I constantly get app freezes when there are multiple images in a thread, and I'm wondering if it's singular to mobile gaf or if it's my 5x being underpowered. It was even worse on my 5.

clav

Do you guys have trouble with chrome on mobile gaf? I constantly get app freezes when there are multiple images in a thread, and I'm wondering if it's singular to mobile gaf or if it's my 5x being underpowered. It was even worse on my 5.

I stopped using Chrome on a Galaxy S3 for quite a while.

Try Firefox.

Reckoner

Been using my 6s for the last three days.

I can say that I love the apps and the way the phone works out of the box - I can finally just connect the usb cable to my auto radio and have it output sound and do media control from Spotify and Apple Music with no hassle! -, but deeply miss my dual front facing speakers, file management and not having to rely on a physical button for multitasking/home as it seriously hurt the usability on such a big screen. I'm so glad I didn't go for the Plus... Believe it or not, I could handle my Nexus 6 much better than the 6s. The ergonomics and soft keys totally made a difference.

hasn't happened to me on chrome

this was me when hangouts first got sms support. just do the switch, it saves you a lot of headaches and the experience is so much better.
I probably will :(

I can say that I love the apps and the way the phone works out of the box - I can finally just connect the usb cable to my auto radio and have it output sound and do media control from Spotify and Apple Music with no hassle! -, but deeply miss my dual front facing speakers, file management and not having to rely on a physical button for multitasking/home as it seriously hurt the usability on such a big screen. I'm so glad I didn't go for the Plus... Believe it or not, I could handle my Nexus 6 much better than the 6s. The ergonomics and soft keys totally made a difference.
I find my x play downright unwieldy compared to my old iphone 6 and that's smaller than the nexus 6!

But yeah no lies I'm heavily considering hopping back with iphone 7. At least for my phone. Tablet wise android makes more sense for the things I do on it. I'll see though. 2016 will be interesting.

Reckoner

hasn't happened to me on chrome

I probably will :(

I find my x play downright unwieldy compared to my old iphone 6 and that's smaller than the nexus 6!

But yeah no lies I'm heavily considering hopping back with iphone 7. At least for my phone. Tablet wise android makes more sense for the things I do on it. I'll see though. 2016 will be interesting.

I'm actually complimenting the way the Nexus 6 feels in hand, though. :p

Talon

Dude.

3D touch on the left edge of the screen for the app switcher. It'll change your life.

Reckoner

I know I'm just saying I find it surprising that you feel like that considering I find the x play so much harder to use than my iphone 6 was and that's even smaller than your nex6.

Probably my expectations are blurring what it really is. I wasn't expecting to have to use two hands almost all the time with the 6s, and that's what happens on the same situations as with the Nexus 6. And to make things worse, having to rely on a hardware button so low to navigate through basic stuff doesn't help.

Dude.

3D touch on the left edge of the screen for the app switcher. It'll change your life.

That's a good tip. I guess I'm not used to 3D Touch yet. Only three days with this thing.

Probably my expectations are blurring what it really is. I wasn't expecting to have to use two hands almost all the time with the 6s, and that's what happens on the same situations as with the Nexus 6. And to make things worse, having to rely on a hardware button so low to navigate through basic stuff doesn't help.

That's a good tip. I guess I'm not used to 3D Touch yet. Only three days with this thing.
3d touch already replaced the need for the home button for multi tasking and I predict with the iphone 7 or 8 it removes the home button completely.

First full day with 6p 5 hours SOT.

Second day, Chrome taking up a lot of battery but would have still het 4.5h or so. Just Sunday and I didn't use phone that much.

kami_sama

Yeah, it's been happening to me since I started using Chrome.

No Love

Banned
I stopped using Chrome on a Galaxy S3 for quite a while.

Try Firefox.

Or Opera. Firefox is my go to (the adblocking/popup blocking/script blocking works wonders) but Opera loads pages a lot faster. I think Firefox has a better interface though.

I uninstalled Chrome.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I honestly wouldn't mind my shitty 6P 3 hour SoT if Google released a 5V/3A car charger already.
I've always, always been on the low end of SOT. I hope mine doesn't end up being 3 SOT, too. Sounds way too defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom