• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

Bought a skin from D brand for my 6P

Have their Black Carbon skin for my Nexus 9 and it's really great. Oh and they started doing the coloured X in the Nexus logo for a limited time again and I really wanted it lol

Although i'm not too sure about the camera skin

z9ir79N.png

Probably won't use the camera skin but meh figured i'd see what it's like anyway as it was only like £1.

In fact I should have ordered a few of em to try out...damnit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Shit about to get real up in here!

AnandTech 5X Review

I actually would have liked to have a Snapdragon 801 data point, but Snapdragon 805 in the Nexus 6 is also a relevant comparison considering it was the only Nexus smartphone from last year. In this case I think it's pretty clear that any sustained workload lasting longer than 2 minutes is going to be substantially faster on a Snapdragon 805 device, and truthfully if your workload takes advantage of multiple cores it's likely that Snapdragon 805 will always be faster even within those first two minutes where Snapdragon 808's A57s are at their peak frequencies. I wouldn't want to say anything for certain, but this is probably true for Snapdragon 801 as well.

Vanillalite

On the 5X Camera...

On the Nexus 5X, my observation has been that the camera often takes an incorrect exposure. I've displayed a sample comparison above, and while you have to take my word for it, the HDR+ shots are usually much more like what I actually saw when I took the photos. Most notably, the 5X would usually blow out the sky if it was even remotely bright out, while the HDR+ mode maintained a sky that was sometimes a bit too deep blue, but much better than the searing white of the overexposed shots. The normal images also seemed to tend toward a green white balance.

Of course, this presents a bit of a problem if we assume that HDR+ shots take a significant amount of time to process. It would mean that you're either stuck with waiting a long time between shots, or dealing with inaccurate colors and an overall incorrect exposure. Fortunately, you don't really need to make this choice, because software improvements bundled with Snapdragon 808's ISP improvements over Snapdragon 800 and 805 mean that HDR+ photos only take a second at most to be captured and processed. This means that you can just leave the HDR+ toggle on and take your photos.

To be honest, even though HDR+ mode improves the exposure, it's not really acceptable that Google is resorting to heavy processing and merging multiple exposures just to achieve a proper exposure. Relative to the single millisecond exposure time for a daytime photo, the second between shots to process the HDR+ photos is quite a long period of time. In addition, the lack of OIS means that even with Google's shifting and cropping of the exposures to account for blur you still run the risk of introducing blurriness into the photos due to the longer exposure time, especially when lighting is decent but not amazing and the exposures can take up to 100 milliseconds each.

Ty4on

I think the next obvious "Why didn't you implement it years ago?" feature in Android will be hardware encryption.
Sequential write speeds on the 5X end up being about equal to the G4, but the gap in sequential read speeds is enormous. Altogether, it's clear that there's still a significant reduction in NAND performance caused by the use of FDE when only using ARMv8's cryptographic instructions to encrypt and decrypt data to be written. This contrasts with comments made by Google engineer David Burke during a Reddit AMA discussing the FDE situation on the Nexus 5X in response to a comment that was referencing the Nexus 6's poor storage performance. What's interesting is that ARM has stated before that the ARMv8 cryptographic instructions are not a substitute for fixed-function hardware, and so it looks like there's a disagreement between ARM and Google on whether or not this is an adequate solution for encryption.

Reduced storage performance is not the only problem with this solution. Waking up the AP to do encryption or decryption every time the disk has to be read from or written to incurs a huge power penalty compared to simply using a hardware AES block and DMA which happens to be what Apple has been doing for about six years now. There are power savings here just waiting for Google to grab them, but they've decided not to do so for a second year now. Google certainly has an interest in getting Android phones to use FDE out of the box in order to combat negative perceptions about Android's security, but I don't think it's acceptable to have such a policy without the necessary hardware to make sure it doesn't affect the device's performance to any significant degree.

Edit: Slide 9 in the ARMv8 presentation has the line:
 Instruction level support for Cryptography
----- Not intended to replace hardware accelerators in an SoC

Bought a skin from D brand for my 6P

Have their Black Carbon skin for my Nexus 9 and it's really great. Oh and they started doing the coloured X in the Nexus logo for a limited time again and I really wanted it lol

Although i'm not too sure about the camera skin

Probably won't use the camera skin but meh figured i'd see what it's like anyway as it was only like £1.

In fact I should have ordered a few of em to try out...damnit

Yeah the skin is ugly, I actually like the glass panel now.....

my N6P SoT is around 4.5 hours and that is with moderate usage. I have had problems with random reboots though. Has happened a few times since receiving the phone last week.

edit: also question about apps

Any good notes apps? Nothing fancy just a way to keep track of things that I need to do, remember, etc.
Also for those that browse reddit, an app for that? Or do you just deal with the actual site?

Vanillalite

Honestly last year's Nexus 6 for $300 stays winning for the average joe. You'd really only be missing the fingerprint scanner.

Hopefully next year is more of a full fledged upgrade.

Argyle

Do you guys have trouble with chrome on mobile gaf? I constantly get app freezes when there are multiple images in a thread, and I'm wondering if it's singular to mobile gaf or if it's my 5x being underpowered. It was even worse on my 5.

Are you using Lastpass?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got my N6P yesterday finally. It's alright.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone have a good suggestion for a share menu edit app? I used to use an xposed module, but now I dont have xposed on the current CM version and I was wondering if there's an app that does it?

3phemeral

On the 6P is "OK google" supposed to work when the display is off? Mine does not.

Not sure if it is, but there should be a setting in Google Now that says "Listen when sleeping" or something or other. On the S6, it's only listening if it's plugged in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Nexus 6P has fantastic cell signal reception. It's probably the best I've ever had.

No one else has mentioned it but I notice these things because I'm a practical user. I don't care about your dumb hexabits or whatever. I use the phone and that's it.

VoxPop

Okay guys. I'm about to bite on the 6P.

Unfortunately the Graphite is still out of stock so I'm considering the 64GB Aluminum.

How do you guys like your color choices? How has the battery + camera been since you got the phone? Any glaring issues?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Okay guys. I'm about to bite on the 6P.

Unfortunately the Graphite is still out of stock so I'm considering the 64GB Aluminum.

How do you guys like your color choices? How has the battery + camera been since you got the phone? Any glaring issues?

Battery is okay. Standard 2015 phone. Lasts a while but never as long as you need/want. Charging via USB on the PC is SLOW...

Camera takes great pics. Software is a little slow but not unbearable.

Pyrokai

Man....everyone seems to be down on the 6P now. What happened??? Is the honeymoon over?

Sane thing with the 5X with that performance comparison article or whatever.

Confession: I ordered both the 5X and the 6P and they should be arriving this week and next. I don't know which one to keep.

Rengoku

The Nexus 6P has fantastic cell signal reception. It's probably the best I've ever had.

No one else has mentioned it but I notice these things because I'm a practical user. I don't care about your dumb hexabits or whatever. I use the phone and that's it.

Yup, I find bluetooth range really good too.

The vibration motor on the other hand... kinda weak...

Argyle

Is it a lastpass thing because chrome has been frozen trash before I started using lastpass.

If you're using Lastpass try turning off all the auto fill stuff (the toggle in accessibility, etc).

I live with it now because Lastpass with a fingerprint sensor is quite convenient :p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Turning off the 'always on' feature under ok google helped my battery a lot. Don't even use it that much anyways

Vanillalite

Man....everyone seems to be down on the 6P now. What happened??? Is the honeymoon over?

Sane thing with the 5X with that performance comparison article or whatever.

Confession: I ordered both the 5X and the 6P and they should be arriving this week and next. I don't know which one to keep.

They are great devices, but the Android space has a shit ton of competition including their own Nexus line. The N5 was a clear price winner with great performance for it's time. 6P is still the best Android phone, but that doesn't mean there aren't better cheaper devices. 5X is legit for the size, but if size isn't a draw you can get last year's N6 for even cheaper.

The bigger issue is we've gotten to a point where for the average user performance differences aren't gonna be massive. So every year can be a skip year depending upon your current device.

Update on that HTC phone for the 5 people still following HTC:

According to HTC ROM developer @LlabTooFeR (known for providing reliable information when it comes to HTC-related stuff), the One X9 will indeed be released next year, but it's going to be a device positioned below the One A9 - which is not exactly a high-end phone.

Reportedly, the One X9 - model number E56 - will be available sometime in the first quarter of 2016 (January - March). @LlabTooFeR has it that, 2 to 3 months after the One X9, HTC will launch a flagship successor to the One M9, which could be called One M10.

While there's no word on the features of the One M10, @LlabTooFeR says that most of the rumored specs of the X9 are wrong: there's no Quad HD screen, no Snapdragon 820 or MediaTek Helio X20 processor, no 4 GB of RAM, no 3500 mAh battery.

@evleaks seems to be confirming that the One X9 / E56 isn't a high-end smartphone, mentioning that its features should include a 5.5-inch display with 1080 x 1920 pixels, 2 GB of RAM, 16 GB of internal memory, 4 MP UltraPixel front-facing camera, 13 MP rear camera, and a 3000 mAh battery. There will be a MediaTek processor inside the X9, but it's not clear what model exactly.

Husker86

Anyone else think the reception is really good on the 6P? They might have messed with the visual indicator, but I even checked the dbm in Settings and I'm getting much better signal in my house than with previous phones. Especially my basement where I'd have either no signal, or very weak--I'm getting decent signal down there with the 6P.

Keep on with your superiority complex, though.

Nobody reads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom