• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

So... While I'm in love with this phone... I believe I might have a bad lemon or maybe I'm not giving it time...

My battery life seems to just die. It was showing me on 98% that I have 2 hrs of time left to use it. I think that's super outrageous?

Just an estimation? Battery life estimations by the system can be wacko at the beginning of a full charge. If your phone actually dies in 2 hours, then we have a problem.

Parachuting in.

Looking to get a new phone. Want something mid-range, 5" screen maximum, that will get updates for at least 12 months after purchase. Is this too much to ask today? I know Moto has gone way downhill with updates, don't know much about Sony / HTC / Samsung / LG's recent mid-range offerings.

If it doesn't exist, I'll probably go back to Lumia / BlackBerry / Jolla, and buy a £49 Kindle for those Android apps I use a lot.

Toki767

Parachuting in.

Looking to get a new phone. Want something mid-range, 5" screen maximum, that will get updates for at least 12 months after purchase. Is this too much to ask today? I know Moto has gone way downhill with updates, don't know much about Sony / HTC / Samsung / LG's recent mid-range offerings.

If it doesn't exist, I'll probably go back to Lumia / BlackBerry / Jolla, and buy a £49 Kindle for those Android apps I use a lot.

Nexus 5X is for you.

Parachuting in.

I would tell you to get the A9, but I don't hate you yet.

Nexus 5X is for you.

Not if he really means 5" maximum, since the 5X is sitting at 5.2", but it does fit the bill with everything else.

5" really is the absolute maximum, and already bigger than I'd hope for. Small hands, want something I can actually use one-handed.

Something like the 2013 Moto G would be absolutely ideal (shit, it's been 2 years since that phone came out?). For me, 720p is fine, especially on a smaller screen. Maybe the 2015 version would be fine, but I really don't trust them to update the thing anymore.

I would tell you to get the A9, but I don't hate you yet.

I actually like the One A9 - but it's far more expensive in Europe than it is in America. They're promising snappy updates for it, and HTC have been pretty decent with updates in the past.

Saiyan-Rox

5" really is the absolute maximum, and already bigger than I'd hope for. Small hands, want something I can actually use one-handed.

Something like the 2013 Moto G would be absolutely ideal (shit, it's been 2 years since that phone came out?). For me, 720p is fine, especially on a smaller screen. Maybe the 2015 version would be fine, but I really don't trust them to update the thing anymore.

As for the HTC A9, I actually think it looks really nice - but it's far more expensive in Europe than it is in America.

There's the OnePlus X

Yeah it's invite only for now but you can pick up invites from ebay pretty cheap or just wait until it goes to open sales next month.

There's the OnePlus X

Yeah it's invite only for now but you can pick up invites from ebay pretty cheap or just wait until it goes to open sales next month.

That's the 'I settled' version, right?

Looks interesting. Heard some horrific things about OnePlus build quality and support though, has it improved at all in the past year? Hopefully it'll be available through Amazon or a third party with decent customer service.

I wouldn't trust OnePlus when it comes to updates.

And there (probably) goes that one.

From what I've read so far, the Z5 compact is the closest I'll get to what I want. Not nearly in-budget though.

The good thing about OnePlus devices is they will probably get cyanogen mod support so you could always just flash that and ditch Oxygen OS. I probably won't buy another phone for then at this point now with other competition now at that price point.

Saiyan-Rox

Looks interesting. Heard some horrific things about OnePlus build quality and support though, has it improved at all in the past year? Hopefully it'll be available through Amazon or a third party with decent customer service.

From what I've read so far, the Z5 compact is the closest I'll get to what I want. Not nearly in-budget though.

You'll never get the device from Amazon officially unless your in india. I've never really had to deal with the CS side when I had a OPO or OP2 personally but yeah the CS has a lot to be desired. The OPX seems like a pretty solid little device if not aittle fingerprint magnet due to being glass but for the 5" screen size you'll not get better for the price.

As for updates OP will support the phone its just a little slow as with usual with non nexus but if you know what you're going when cyanogen kicks off you'll be grand.

butalala

Hi Friends. I got my 6P earlier this week and it's great to be back using Android after 6 months on a Lumia when my Nexus 4 died.

I have one complaint, though. It seems like google has removed the old Power Control widget. What's the deal with that? Is there anything I can do to bring it back? It was a staple for me with my first two android phones.

jey_16

Banned
I'd definitely get the iPhone out of those phones, especially if your work is paying for the phone.

The 5X is a nice phone but it can't compete with any of those devices if cost doesn't matter and it'd be a downgrade on everything except the OS from your S6. I'd pretty much avoid Samsung's crap because you'll be lucky to get 1-2 software updates and if you do they'll take forever not to mention that TouchWiz bloat. Don't know much about the Xperia, but given Sony's past quality control issues with their phones I'd just avoid them entirely, especially when they mentioned not long ago they'd pull the plug on their phones if they continued to not sell well.

thanks, went for the 6s+. Bit unsure about going back to iOS but can't imagine it being too bad

Jigolo

Hi Friends. I got my 6P earlier this week and it's great to be back using Android after 6 months on a Lumia when my Nexus 4 died.

I have one complaint, though. It seems like google has removed the old Power Control widget. What's the deal with that? Is there anything I can do to bring it back? It was a staple for me with my first two android phones.
I don't think you can get the old one back but there should be some in the play store.

iarnrN6.png

Eh, can't decide if this is normal battery life or not. How does this compare to the battery life you guys are getting on the 6P?

you trust Sony for updates? I guess within 12 months it may not be unreasonable to get one.

Honestly why not just get an S6? It's pretty small (in the android world), screen is 5.1 but that's negligible. It can be bought for low prices these days in various places.

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/iarnrN6.png[/img]
[mg]http://i.imgur.com/uewkJkO.png[/img]
[mg]http://i.imgur.com/tW48jaa.png[/img]

Eh, can't decide if this is normal battery life or not. How does this compare to the battery life you guys are getting on the 6P?

Seriously. You need to quote your images. Or resize them before you post them.

throw in great build quality, one of the best cameras on the market, and beast specs. Will last you longer should you want it to.

If you're in america ebay has been pumping them out for 400-450 for a little while now.

Honestly when I had mine the only issue I had was the battery life. Great phone if you aren't a Touchwiz hating snob.

NotBacon

What did the widget do? It's been a while since the Nexus 4 era, so it might not be necessary anymore...

Can't decide? You don't know if you're happy or not with it?

Just use the phone. You'll know in a couple days whether you're happy or not with it.

Reckoner

What did the widget do? It's been a while since the Nexus 4 era, so it might not be necessary anymore...

Can't decide? You don't know if you're happy or not with it?

Just use the phone. You'll know in a couple days whether you're happy or not with it.

IIRC it was a widget with some toggles for wi-fi, Bluetooth etc, but Lollipop's pull down menu takes care of all that and more.

Furyous

Parachuting in.

Sony because they support the dev community. The Z5C is your best bet as it is 4.7 inches and comes with a 720p screen yet uses the S810 with a 2700 mah battery. I wouldn't buy anything mid-range from any Android vendor as good luck hoping for an update. Sony at the very least allows tinkerers to maintain support unofficially. Everyone else is SOL after two years anyway.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I've got a new Zenfone 2 that I love. I just put an SD card into it and am trying to find a way to automatically save photos to the SD. I understand Google has issues with this.

I'm looking for any way to automatically save pictures to SD or, hell, even just any app that will automatically transfer from internal storage to SD like every hour or something.

Anything, as long as I don't have to root. Even pay apps!

Jzero

Anyone having texting issues on T-Mobile and 6P? My texts either don't send out take ages.

Didn't matter what text app I use.

Ri'Orius

So my old Moto X has been chugging a bit ever since it got the 5.1 update, and now Verizon is telling me I'm due for an upgrade. Right now I'm thinking Nexus 6, but apparently there's a shiny new 6P out that isn't available through Verizon yet? So maybe I should wait on that if it's only going to be a month or so?

I'm also considering one of the Galaxy devices, but I'm not sure if the difference between the Nexus 6 and the Galaxy S6 Edge+ is worth $100.

Oh, and one more thing that's always bugged me: are the 2-year contracts a scam? It feels weird. I mean, I've got enough cash lying around to buy outright, and my gut says that should be the cheaper strategy in general, but as I understand it they don't discount my monthly bill if I paid upfront (or charge me extra for the 2-year contract). Surely there's some financial disadvantage to the contract, right?

sammich

Okkk long story short.. Cell phone in pool while on vacation(Nexus 5). Size of phone doesn't matter(in terms of has to be 5" plus). I'm really into the note 4 and not as much into the note 5 as i don't think removable battery/sd card will affect me much. I lived with 16gb on my nexus for a long while. Currently phone is in bag of rice.

Most important features to me are:

Camera
Battery life
screen size 5" +
Waterproof/dust proof(ignore if i cant get a better phone without these specs and i learn to be less of a dumbass)

krae_man

My local Wind store got a whopping 3 Moto X Plays in and I snagged one. Whoo!

The transfer data app was really good, just had to point the camera on my old phone at a QR code on my new phone.

Okkk long story short.. Cell phone in pool while on vacation(Nexus 5). Size of phone doesn't matter(in terms of has to be 5" plus). I'm really into the note 4 and not as much into the note 5 as i don't think removable battery/sd card will affect me much. I lived with 16gb on my nexus for a long while. Currently phone is in bag of rice.

Camera
Battery life
screen size 5" +
Waterproof/dust proof

z3/z4 or s6 /s5 active

Heard a Ting commercial on All about Android and went to check out thier rate calculator. Enter my 30 minutes, 101-10000) text, 40GB a month and it said I'd pay $600 a month if I switched to them

Camera
Battery life
screen size 5" +
Waterproof/dust proof
you're limiting yourself big time by throwing waterproof and dust proof in there. Kind of narrows it down to 1 or 2 recent phones.

sammich

you're limiting yourself big time by throwing waterproof and dust proof in there. Kind of narrows it down to 1 or 2 recent phones.

You are very right. I guess im just afraid of doing something really stupid again. The S5 that my wife has is not waterproof/dustproof correct? More like water resistant for a little bit? Either way, ignoring water/dust proof, what would be my options then?

You are very right. I guess im just afraid of doing something really stupid again. The S5 that my wife has is not waterproof/dustproof correct? More like water resistant for a little bit? Either way, ignoring water/dust proof, what would be my options then?

Friend and work mate has the s6 active. Seems to like it. Only phone that really matches what your looking for I think.

NomarTyme

You can buy a otterbox for most of the flagship phone to take care of the dust/waterproof part.

Friend and work mate has the s6 active. Seems to like it. Only phone that really matches what your looking for I think.
At&t only.

There's the 6P and Note 5 as your best bets. LG V10 as well.

If you don't care about size then get a 6P. S6 active if you want the waterproofing but it's kinda uggo. I guess one of those Sony phones mentioned above works too.

It should be. S5 is IP67 I believe.

Sure sounds like a wakelock, is the phone warm/hot? Does the battery view shows any apps with high drain?

I had a drain on my old N5 with the wlan search from the location services, check/disable that option, if that is the problems' root.

It wasn't hot or anything but I just took it off the charger so maybe that's why.

Dafuq? Can you show us app usage? That's horrendous.

Just an estimation? Battery life estimations by the system can be wacko at the beginning of a full charge. If your phone actually dies in 2 hours, then we have a problem.

Yup, this was probably the issue. Now I'm showing 1 day and 5 hrs left. Better now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom