• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So apparently Motorola Connect is being discontinued.

I need the best tool for connecting messages (eps. SMS) from phone to browser/desktop. The Motorola Connect Chrome Extension recommended Pushbullet and something else (forgot what) when it announced to me that it was going to be discontinued.

Probably getting Moto X Pure or Nexus 6P sometime this winter...

Ideas? Thanks!

Hmm... Seems like I'm getting that inconsistent battery life again. What's the quickest way to put pictures on here through an app? I find minus to be trash because it never shows on GAF

I need the best tool for connecting messages (eps. SMS) from phone to browser/desktop. The Motorola Connect Chrome Extension recommended Pushbullet and something else (forgot what) when it announced to me that it was going to be discontinued.

Ideas? Thanks!
hmm not sure what you mean because I never used motorola connect. Why not try AirDroid? You can view all the stuff on your phone on your computer including sms. Can respond from there too and all that jazz. AirDroid is the best app to show off why android does have some positive differences to iOS because of openness and whatnot.

A lot of people seem to like pushbullet though.

Noema

Hmm... Seems like I'm getting that inconsistent battery life again. What's the quickest way to put pictures on here through an app? I find minus to be trash because it never shows on GAF

Imgur app works pretty well. You can upload through the mobile website but the app is usually quicker and less of a hassle.

I just decided that the blue/green whites might be a deal breaker for me. It's driving me nuts. I think it looks terrible.

How can I switch to sRGB mode to try that out? I think I'm doing it wrong. When I do it, nothing seems to change.

Edit: Never mind, I see a difference now. It just doesn't make a difference with the whites :(

Man, thus is disappointing. How can people like AMOLED better than an LCD and claim the 6P's screen is so awesome? Everything has a blue hue to it and it's maddening to me.

Samsung doesn't have that problem /shrug

Pyrokai

I don't really think it's a Samsung problem, I think the problem is AMOLED. I think that I just prefer the way LCD lighting works more than an LED screen.

Noema

Samsung doesn't have that problem /shrug

Samsung's displays are just in class by themselves.

dZDRnSu.png

Pyrokai

The S6 screen is a work of art I'll give it that. Definitely beats out every android phone I've seen and the iphone screen in a lot of ways.

Its so funny to read this after I just set up a return with Google for my 6P. Yes I finally made a decision....And 80% of that was due to the fact that I couldn't stand the screen. I always felt like I was looking through a shade when viewing whites.

But really the main reason is because I just don't think I like the look of AMOLED screens at all. To be completely honest, I'm quite surprised people are in so in love with this screen and others like it

Its so funny to read this after I just set up a return with Google for my 6P. Yes I finally made a decision....And 80% of that was due to the fact that I couldn't stand the screen. I always felt like I was looking through a shade when viewing whites.

But really the main reason is because I just don't think I like the look of AMOLED screens at all. To be completely honest, I'm quite surprised people are in so in love with this screen and others like it
have you seen the s6 screen tho? It's way better than any other one including other amoled displays.

some of us like really accurate colors. including black. and for that, AMOLED wins.

and some people like really juicy saturated colors. and for that, AMOLED also wins.

Husker86

have you seen the s6 screen tho? It's way better than any other one including other amoled displays.

Eh, I have both the S6 and 6P. I think both screens are nearly identical. I think Pyrokai has come to the realization that it's his preference that is the issue. Though it seems he still hasn't realized that his preference is wrong.

Emissive displays like CRT, plasma, and OLED are inherently superior to transmissive displays like LCD. This is mathematically quantifiable fact.

Of course LCD has nice benefits like no burn in and lower power consumption. But as far as pure image quality is concerned, LCD is hopelessly outclassed.

Nicktendo86

I don't care what anyone says, I have never used an amoled screen that I have loved. You can spoit numbers all you like but the drawbacks for me spoil it.

Ideas? Thanks!

I love Pushbullet, but I can't compare it to Motorola Connect.

Pushbullet sends all your notifications to your PC and lets you reply to SMS or WhatsApp messages from your PC. If a notification has additional options, you can usually use them on Pushbullet as well. Say, you get an email notification. Pushbullet shows it and gives you the option to archive it or dismiss it or whatever options you have on your phone.

Best Buy came to the rescue of the few remaining diehard grandfathered Verizon unlimited data users today. They had Galaxy S6 on sale for $1 with 2-year contract, so I ordered one to lock in another 2 years of unlimited data at the current price. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my $1 phone but I'm not complaining. I got in just 3 days before the monthly price of the unlimited data plan gets jacked up $20 on November 15th.

Unfortunately this does mean that in 2 years I'll need to figure out if I want to stay with Verizon and pay the inflated price for unlimited data or walk. I've really just punted the ball down the field here, at some point I'll have to decide just how much unlimited data is really worth to me.

T-Mobile aren't dummies either, they are increasing the price of their unlimited data option from $80 to $95. The Un-Carrier is looking more and more like The Carrier Which Wishes It Was Verizon And AT&T every day.

Somewhere, Sprint is crying. They offer unlimited data for $70 and literally nobody wants it because Sprint.

I love how people purposely omit multicore score just to make the Apple product look better.

Yeah the whole "Apple is years ahead of everyone" BS.

Too bad Cortex A35 isn't available yet with these more powerful cores.

Cortex A72 and custom cores are looking good though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
hmm not sure what you mean because I never used motorola connect. Why not try AirDroid? You can view all the stuff on your phone on your computer including sms. Can respond from there too and all that jazz. AirDroid is the best app to show off why android does have some positive differences to iOS because of openness and whatnot.

A lot of people seem to like pushbullet though.
Ok, trying AirDroid for a while. We'll see how it works out. I have test machines for both the web interface and the Windows-native version.

I love Pushbullet, but I can't compare it to Motorola Connect.

Pushbullet sends all your notifications to your PC and lets you reply to SMS or WhatsApp messages from your PC. If a notification has additional options, you can usually use them on Pushbullet as well. Say, you get an email notification. Pushbullet shows it and gives you the option to archive it or dismiss it or whatever options you have on your phone.
Thanks. I'm waiting to see how AirDroid works out.

One thing that really bums me out is that MMS isn't supported by anyone. I could at least read them, but not respond to them, on Motorola Connect. Now I can't even see them to read them... :(

Best Buy came to the rescue of the few remaining diehard grandfathered Verizon unlimited data users today. They had Galaxy S6 on sale for $1 with 2-year contract, so I ordered one to lock in another 2 years of unlimited data at the current price. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my $1 phone but I'm not complaining. I got in just 3 days before the monthly price of the unlimited data plan gets jacked up $20 on November 15th.

Unfortunately this does mean that in 2 years I'll need to figure out if I want to stay with Verizon and pay the inflated price for unlimited data or walk. I've really just punted the ball down the field here, at some point I'll have to decide just how much unlimited data is really worth to me.

T-Mobile aren't dummies either, they are increasing the price of their unlimited data option from $80 to $95. The Un-Carrier is looking more and more like The Carrier Which Wishes It Was Verizon And AT&T every day.

Somewhere, Sprint is crying. They offer unlimited data for $70 and literally nobody wants it because Sprint.

Ill give you 2 bucks for the phone.

Pyrokai

This is gonna sound really dumb, but I just realized that AMOLED had a distinctively different look from LCD. In my eternal first world struggle of figuring out which of these 2 phones to keep (5X and 6P), I realized I don't really like AMOLED. Honestly, I can't figure out why people prefer AMOLED. LCD has much better "normal" colors and the whites are a billion times better.

Is it a general consensus that people prefer AMOLED? Is everyone crazy? ;)

Ideas? Thanks!

I prefer Mighty Text, and use it daily.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The problem I posted about wasnt that the N6P couldn't have a solid screen. Rather than if you compared N6P to another N6P unit with the same screen settings the panels were obviously different.

Can someone with a Nexus 6P do me a favour?

• Connect phone to Bluetooth car (non a2dp)
  • Play a music track or a podcast through a 3.5m headphone jack to the car
  • Receive a call
  • End call
When you end the call, does the music track resume as it should? it did on my old HTC ONE M7, but it doesn't seem to on my new Nexus 6P.

Joco

Well my Nexus 5 took a crap last night. Since I don't want to be phone-less for a while, I did some quick research on both the Nexus 5x and 6p. Even though spec wise the 6p is superior, the 5x's smaller size and LCD screen (I worry about burn-in on AMOLED) made me order it. Have I made a big mistake?

Polarburr

My brother just got the 6P and he's wondering something..

How come when you change the aspect ratio to 16:9, the megapixel changes to .9? and on his edge+, it stays at 12mp?

CronoShot

This is gonna sound really dumb, but I just realized that AMOLED had a distinctively different look from LCD. In my eternal first world struggle of figuring out which of these 2 phones to keep (5X and 6P), I realized I don't really like AMOLED. Honestly, I can't figure out why people prefer AMOLED. LCD has much better "normal" colors and the whites are a billion times better.

You should look at a S6 or Note 5 display.

Samsung AMOLED screens are the best screens on the market, bar none. The Nexus 6P screen is better than the Nexus 6 screen was, but it's still not even close to Samsung.

Husker86

You should look at a S6 or Note 5 display.

Samsung AMOLED screens are the best screens on the market, bar none. The Nexus 6P screen is better than the Nexus 6 screen was, but it's still not even close to Samsung.
I have an S6 and 6P. The screens are almost identical. Aside from the S6 insane outside brightness mode.

You've posted nearly the same thing several times. What different response are you looking for?

You guys are so right. I deleted Facebook and I feel like there is such a huge improvement in battery life for my phone. I got to show it off at work and everyone was so in awe lol. The chrome notification and using Facebook that way is so much better.

Pyrokai

You've posted nearly the same thing several times. What different response are you looking for?

I guess I have, I apologize. I was mostly looking for why others choose AMOLED over LCD this time. Wasn't really trying to re-emphasize, so again I apologize for that.

I'm mostly posting my thoughts out loud. I'm super into screens at the moment, lol.

Groof

poor memories of amoled are burnt in (lol get it?) into my mind after the S2. i'm wary of the 6p's screen but i'm hoping it won't be much of an issue anymore.

You guys are so right. I deleted Facebook and I feel like there is such a huge improvement in battery life for my phone. I got to show it off at work and everyone was so in awe lol. The chrome notification and using Facebook that way is so much better.

what about using the facebook app and turning off notifications?

zewone

poor memories of amoled are burnt in (lol get it?) into my mind after the S2. i'm wary of the 6p's screen but i'm hoping it won't be much of an issue anymore.

I've used Moto X, Note 3, and Nexus 6 for years.

Nothing close to an issue with burn in.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone use a Bluetooth headset with their 6P?

May be the headset but if my hand is in my pocket with my phone or even the fabric itself stops the Bluetooth signal and it cracks and pauses a lot. If I have my phone in front of me and place my hand on the back it breaks the signal :S

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Crap forgot about that.
At least it's just a software issue and not an actual display problem. Something that trivial really shouldn't factor into a buying decision.
Of course it should. You buy the phone today, not the phone it might be who knows how long down the line.

SimleuqiR

Anyone use a Bluetooth headset with their 6P?

May be the headset but if my hand is in my pocket with my phone or even the fabric itself stops the Bluetooth signal and it cracks and pauses a lot. If I have my phone in front of me and place my hand on the back it breaks the signal :S

I've experienced amazing Bluetooth playback and range with the 6P. Leaps better than my Nexus 5. Using a Sony mw600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom