• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's a quick charger adapter for my N6P? Do I just buy the Google one or is there a cheaper option? Preferably on Amazon.

Since I'm a top of the page snypa, the Nexus 6P is the best phone I've ever owned. Everyone should buy it. It's excellent in almost every way except for battery, screen quality, and wireless charging. Also, I hate the tightness of the USB C plug. It's like pulling out of Kim Kardashian.

Husker86

What's a quick charger adapter for my N6P? Do I just buy the Google one or is there a cheaper option? Preferably on Amazon.

Since I'm a top of the page snypa, the Nexus 6P is the best phone I've ever owned. Everyone should buy it. It's excellent in almost every way except for battery, screen quality, and wireless charging. Also, I hate the tightness of the USB C plug. It's like pulling out of Kim Kardashian.

Top of the page?

You're...you're one of those 50 posts per page people?

I haven't looked in the last week, but I hadn't been able to find a USB-C 3A/15W quick charger when I looked on Amazon last. Damn you Google for not having Qualcomm's QC.

linkboy

I went and installed the blackberry keyboard on my nexus 6 (it's available on xda) and it's amazing. Easily the best keyboard I've ever used on an android phone.

I really hope blackberry releases it for all android phones, it's that good.

Jzero

I went and installed the blackberry keyboard on my nexus 6 (it's available on xda) and it's amazing. Easily the best keyboard I've ever used on an android phone.

Typing this with it on my 6P. Feels weird but I really like the color. It's not letting me swipe to text thought 😞

tzare

it has nice design but lack of swipe kills it for me.

NotBacon

You are very right. I guess im just afraid of doing something really stupid again. The S5 that my wife has is not waterproof/dustproof correct? More like water resistant for a little bit? Either way, ignoring water/dust proof, what would be my options then?

Nexus 6P

Nicktendo86

What's the matter with the battery and screen quality AJ?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's the matter with the battery and screen quality AJ?

Screen quality is all over the place. We've seen side by side pics of the phone with different white balances and stuff.

Plus AJ wants the content to float off your finger. Don't blame him. Apple's way of fusing the glass to the screen is down right magical.

Polarburr

Why are people ordering the 6p just recently receiving their phones fast? I've been waiting since the 23rd of last month... I ordered through Huawei's store...

Do customers from google play store get top priority?

Wow...

This is unbelievable. I think I'm done with Nexus and google as a whole.

This same thing is happening over in androidcentral. New orders being shipped right instantly as opposed to old preorders as well as people cancelling and reordering. Any reason behind this?

I'm asking cause I just ordered a 32gb aluminum from the Google store. Hope it makes it because I leave on the 22nd. Though my parents leave the 29th so I hope my chances are good.

Nicktendo86

Screen quality is all over the place. We've seen side by side pics of the phone with different white balances and stuff.

Plus AJ wants the content to float off your finger. Don't blame him. Apple's way of fusing the glass to the screen is down right magical.

Umm I see, I think the problem is that Google just don't bother to calibrate their screens, with the exception I seem to remember of the Nexus 7 (2013).

Not sure about battery though, is it not good? It's got a large cell hasn't it?

i thought you were better than this...

now i don't know who to trust anymore...

50 PPP, smh!

wait.... so T-Mobile jacked the prices up at the same time they rolled out the 'free' zero rated movie streaming option? guess people who don't use their data for potato quality video streaming will subsidize the net neutrality fuckery of the other folk...

Ty4on

Umm I see, I think the problem is that Google just don't bother to calibrate their screens, with the exception I seem to remember of the Nexus 7 (2013).

*cough*
78271.png

78272.png

Pyrokai

Hey guys….

…….so I’m kinda stupid. I currently have in front of me both the 5X and the 6P. I originally went for the 6P and stuff, and it arrived a day before the 5X. I needed to try them both to be sure of which one I wanted, and I thought the choice would be easy.

But it’s not. If anything, I made it harder on myself.

I was originally SET on the 6P after I played with it for a full day before the 5X, but after using the 5X, it managed to be better than I thought. Some thoughts:

For 5X:

-Size is more my style, but I worry I’ll want bigger in the future. I feel like 5.5 would be my sweet spot.

-I LOVE how lightweight it is and the plastic back. So nice.

-I actually think…..the screen looks better. The whites look white!

Against 5X:

-Over time, I can see this becoming a bit slower than the 6P would in the same time frame.

-Feeling I might regret not sticking to the 6P and wanting more power and a bigger screen, lol

For 6P:

-More bang for your buck and the more powerful specs ensure it will last longer before being obsolete

-Better front-facing camera

Against 6P:

-Phone is rather heavy

-Ever SO slightly too big for me

-Screen is nice but the whites are definitely blue/green for me and it bothers me. I even set it to sRGB mode and I might be doing it wrong because I noticed zero difference (maybe I need to restart the phone? Any help here would be appreciated)

What say you AndroidGAF? Help solve my ultimate first world problem!

I guess my 6P screen color is the biggest issue.

If you plan on keeping the phone for a minimum of 2 years and you honestly don't care about size then the 6P is the obvious choice for various reasons.

If you plan on keeping it for less time than that just take the 5x.

clav

If you plan on keeping the phone for a minimum of 2 years and you honestly don't care about size then the 6P is the obvious choice for various reasons.

Phone should easily last for however long Google continues to push out updates.

Never doubt the magic of software.

Pyrokai

2 years is definitely the minimum. I'd like this phone to last for 3-4 years....

But if I can't figure out this white color problem I might have to go 5X......I can't unsee the blue/green whites.

Phone should easily last for however long Google continues to push out updates.

Never doubt the magic of software.
yeah but....

2 years is definitely the minimum. I'd like this phone to last for 3-4 years....

But if I can't figure out this white color problem I might have to go 5X......I can't unsee the blue/green whites.
If he wants it to last 3-4 years then the extra RAM goes a long way. Especially considering google will eventually implement dual window in that time frame and who knows what else.

3-4 years is asking A LOT of the 5X. It might be doable but it's asking a lot. As long as you know that, do what you will.

this_guy

wait.... so T-Mobile jacked the prices up at the same time they rolled out the 'free' zero rated movie streaming option? guess people who don't use their data for potato quality video streaming will subsidize the net neutrality fuckery of the other folk...

They also increased their unlimited plan to $95/month and the data stash limit that you can store has a cap of 20gb. But whatever T-Mobile does is awesome and eaten up by the press.

clav

yeah but....

If he wants it to last 3-4 years then the extra RAM goes a long way. Especially considering google will eventually implement dual window in that time frame and who knows what else.

3-4 years is asking A LOT of the 5X. It might be doable but it's asking a lot. As long as you know that, do what you will.
You are talking to someone who still uses a Galaxy S3.

Anything can last.

They also increased their unlimited plan to $95/month and the data stash limit that you can store has a cap of 20gb. But whatever T-Mobile does is awesome and eaten up by the press.
Legere's character makes neglecting negative PR a simple convenient factor.

Pyrokai

Hrmmm......I do agree the hardware will be better in the long run for me with the 6P. Even on my iPhone 5C, iOS9 was stuttering a bit.

If only they had the 5X with 64GB and the specs of the 6P. I definitely think I like the 5X size better.

You are talking to someone who still uses a Galaxy S3.

Anything can last.

Legere's character makes neglecting negative PR a simple convenient factor.
the s3 still has 2gb of ram tho and came out like 2-3 years ago lol. The 5X just came out now. Asking an addition 3-4 years of that is stretching it big time.

I'm sure it'll be USABLE in 3-4 years but do you want a phone that's just usable or do you want a phone that's better in that time. The 6P will be better in that time. Again, that's if size is not an issue. If it is then keep the 5X.

Pyrokai

I just decided that the blue/green whites might be a deal breaker for me. It's driving me nuts. I think it looks terrible.

How can I switch to sRGB mode to try that out? I think I'm doing it wrong. When I do it, nothing seems to change.

Edit: Never mind, I see a difference now. It just doesn't make a difference with the whites :(

Man, thus is disappointing. How can people like AMOLED better than an LCD and claim the 6P's screen is so awesome? Everything has a blue hue to it and it's maddening to me.

I just decided that the blue/green whites might be a deal breaker for me. It's driving me nuts. I think it looks terrible.

How can I switch to sRGB mode to try that out? I think I'm doing it wrong. When I do it, nothing seems to change.

Edit: Never mind, I see a difference now. It just doesn't make a difference with the whites :(

Man, thus is disappointing. How can people like AMOLED better than an LCD and claim the 6P's screen is so awesome? Everything has a blue hue to it and it's maddening to me.

Amoled on Samsung phones are godlike.

Groof

And wasn't the 6P confirmed to be the latest generation Samsung panel in their Reddit AMA?

thinking back on it it's probably something along the lines "latest generation Samsung panel [that they're willing to outsource]"

still doesn't have anything to do with calibration though because that's done at a later stage.

Reckoner

Same thing with the Nexus 6. That was probably the worst thing for me on that phone. Thought that Google had learned their lesson after what they said, but nah.

sammich

So i went with the 6p.. but these last few posts about the screens being off and battery life are really scaring me. Maybe i should just go with the note 5. It costs about 140 more though(Corp plan)

Husker86

I don't notice an issue with the whites, or an overall blue hue. Though I also love the oversturated colors of a good AMOLED, so I don't use sRGB.

Grey blacks of an LCD...now that, I notice.

So i went with the 6p.. but these last few posts about the screens being off and battery life are really scaring me. Maybe i should just go with the note 5. It costs about 140 more though(Corp plan)

Screen is more personal thing imo but battery is OK, not shit tier like nexus 4 and 5 but not outstanding either despite larger mAh. I can get around 5 hours SOT. Can’t comment on Note 5 as it’s not released here, but battery wise it’s not exactly an improvement to the 6-7 hours SOT I get out of both Note 3 and 4. On light usage like today, off charge since morning and back home 10 hours later, battery is down to 69 % with some light browsing, a few calls, messaging and some music. Note 4 by comparison would still be left with more than 80% juice on similar usage levels.

Doze works well in M but the most I get out of it is 1% less drain compared to what I already get from my automated night mode optimizations on L and below. Tbh, I’m more annoyed by the uneven speaker levels than anything else which is noticeable on vol of 60% or less. I dunno whether anyone here has brought this up though. Maybe it’s just my unit.

What exactly is wrong with what was announced here? Pay the $10 for unlimited.. The one you aren't getting anywhere?

Jigolo

Latest chips vs eachother in geekbench. kirin 950, snapdragon 820, samsungs new exynos 8890, and Apple's A9 that's in the 6S:

There's still time for the 820 and 8890 to be tweaked though.
I love how people purposely omit multicore score just to make the Apple product look better.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Not sure about battery though, is it not good? It's got a large cell hasn't it?
It's just average for what I expect. It isn't impressive.

i thought you were better than this...

now i don't know who to trust anymore...

50 PPP, smh!
50 ppp makes mobile browsing better.

LCD > AMOLED

NotBacon

A couple people with high screen standards and a handful reporting average battery life means....... go for the more expensive option with more prominent issues?

zewone

I wouldn't really listen to the regulars in here. They'll complain about just about everything.

Check out reviews by known reviewers for a more realistic and less jaded opinion.

Pyrokai

I don't notice an issue with the whites, or an overall blue hue. Though I also love the oversturated colors of a good AMOLED, so I don't use sRGB.

Grey blacks of an LCD...now that, I notice.

I'm starting to think I just prefer the look of LCD vs AMOLED. Never had anything but LCD and I think that's a factor.

Bboy AJ

I wouldn't really listen to the regulars in here. They'll complain about just about everything.

Check out reviews by known reviewers for a more realistic and less jaded opinion.
You do know the 6P has a confirmed display problem OS wide, right? For video.

Nicktendo86

So, Motorola have started the 6.0 rollout on the moto X style and Moto X 14, India and Brazil first. Can't wait to see what size does for my battery, I already on average get two days of use out of my style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom