• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengoku

I know who stole it. We have cameras at my work, I watched the footage. The problem is the act cannot be seen from the footage. A wall was blocking the veiw. Motherfucker turned off the phone right away when he stole it. I know the guy. Just say any dumb shit and he's done it. Stab somebody check. DUI check. Drugs check. I bet he's gonna make some good money from it.

Report the phone as stolen and get the IMEI blacklisted.

Husker86

I know who stole it. We have cameras at my work, I watched the footage. The problem is the act cannot be seen from the footage. A wall was blocking the veiw. Motherfucker turned off the phone right away when he stole it. I know the guy. Just say any dumb shit and he's done it. Stab somebody check. DUI check. Drugs check. I bet he's gonna make some good money from it.

Did you have it locked?

Jzero

If he was at your desk that should be enough to get him fired. Get your phone back. Or post the video on YouTube so he looks like a shady butch.

Saiyan-Rox

Dat Multiwindow

vnQYU1b.jpg

Wonder why this is still baked in but not accessible without a build prop change? even hiding it in dev settings would do rather than need to hide it behind a build prop then hidden in dev settings.

But this will probably be the big feature of Android N

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dat Multiwindow

Wonder why this is still baked in but not accessible without a build prop change? even hiding it in dev settings would do rather than need to hide it behind a build prop then hidden in dev settings.

But this will probably be the big feature of Android N
We have said that for years. I hope this is the year, though.

Pyrokai

Happy to report that my meltdowns and glimpses of insanity in my indecisiveness of choosing between the 5X or 6P are finally over. I think I mentally exhausted myself. As you can guess from my above post, I've decided on my 6P.

I can finally say I'm incredibly happy with it : )

The size took some getting used to, but I'm fine with it now. I still think 5.5 inches is my ideal size, however.

Really enjoying how nice it runs, and DAMN it's nice to be back on Android. It's the little things that make it for me -- like being able to put icons wherever I want instead of them auto-arranging to always go top and to the left.

Now I just have to arrange a return for my 5X, which is quite sad but also necessary, of course. I will miss you 5X! If only you came with a better battery and bigger memory and storage! Otherwise your size and screen are perfect!

cocopuffs

Banned
Anyone else get tired of home-screen/lock-screen wallpapers a day after changing them? Why can't I ever be satisfied, I get bored of a nice wallpaper less than a day after putting it on. Is there any hope for us forever unsatisfied folks?

vdlow

Anyone else get tired of home-screen/lock-screen wallpapers a day after changing them? Why can't I ever be satisfied, I get bored of a nice wallpaper less than a day after putting it on. Is there any hope for us forever unsatisfied folks?

I use Muzei with the 500px Firepaper extension, and set to change the wallpaper every hour. It's great, so many great pictures that I'd probably never see otherwise.

Best bang for your buck is probably the Zenfone 2. If you want a true powerhouse for cheap, the Pure Edition or 6P is your best bet.

6P, definitely. Although the Moto X Pure is solid if you want to save $100 bucks, but I think the jump to the 6P is worth it.

I ended up finding a Nexus 6 for a hundred bucks via shameful means. Not the newest thing but for a 100 bucks I cant complain ^_^. Some guy was only going to get 75 bucks at a pawn shop for a unopened one. I told him to sell online for more and he didn't want to deal with it. I threw out a 100 and he said yes. Pawn shop owner was not amused.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
A quick question now that I have my 6P.

I don't know if this is a Marsh mellow thing or not but with my previous Xperia Z running 5.1, in the dialer you could type in a person's name and it would show you multiple stored contact numbers of that person.

For example, lets say I typed the name Suzie into the dialer it would display both the mobile and work number that i had for this person.

On the 6P however it will only show the mobile number and not the work number for this example person.

Is that the normal behaviour and Sony customised the dialer to allow this or just a difference between 5.1 and 6.0?

Nikodemos

I hadn't followed SoC news lately, and just found out the specs for Qualcomm's 820.

Seems to me they've reverted to their tried and true strategy of "if you're unsure how to innovate, just copy whatever Apple's doing".
They've noticeably decreased core count to 2+2, instead of going for the octa/deca approach of Chinese designers. Though it's probably a sound bet, given that multi-threading is highly reliant on bandwidth, something no mobile chip designer can boast about.

If they think they have A9-class single-threaded performance, they don't need the massive core counts of the Mediatek and Huawei offerings.

It's becoming increasingly clear that the base ARM Cortex-A53 and A57/72 are sorely lacking in single-threaded performance, that's why Qualcomm is pushing the Kryo custom cores in 820 and Samsung has moved to their own Mongoose "M1" custom cores on the Exynos 8890.

Apple has pushed the Android SoC manufacturers really hard on both single-threaded and GPU performance and everyone who owns Android devices will benefit. Single-threaded CPU gains will be felt in 2016 but GPU performance in particular is poised for a big upgrade, since Qualcomm is going to have Adreno 530 and longtime GPU holdouts Samsung are promising ARM Mali-T880 MP12, which is the largest number of Mali GPU cores anyone has tried to stack on one SoC.

Pyrokai

For some reason it looks like the contact picture quality on 6p is worse than N6.

Just overall, why doesn't Google allow us to use HQ contact pictures!

They can't be oblivious to it. It truly does look terrible. I imagine it'll be fixed in time. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'm actually happy qualcomm seems to be admitting that all this octa core and deca core business is stupid marketing that doesn't even work. They should be copying apple and just release fewer but very fast cores. They probably won't beat apple at the game but it is the right approach.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've never had a positive multi core experience. Like, what is it real world wise?

Let's do this.

This is why I got a Nexus. Fresh updates delivered to my door.

I still don't have it on my Nexus 6. :/

A quick question now that I have my 6P.

I don't know if this is a Marsh mellow thing or not but with my previous Xperia Z running 5.1, in the dialer you could type in a person's name and it would show you multiple stored contact numbers of that person.

For example, lets say I typed the name Suzie into the dialer it would display both the mobile and work number that i had for this person.

On the 6P however it will only show the mobile number and not the work number for this example person.

Is that the normal behaviour and Sony customised the dialer to allow this or just a difference between 5.1 and 6.0?

It shows both Mobile and Work for me. (Followed by a list of search results from nearby locations).

Reckoner

Are all these build quality issues on the 6P overblown once again, like it was with the 6 with back covers coming off because of the battery, etc.?

Airan

As an owner of a 6P I've been following the USB A to USB C cable out-of-spec issues and I've come to the conclusion that its down to confusing documentation. I mean, look at this Chinese manufacturer adamantly stating their USB C-to-A cables are to spec . They've clearly mis-read the spec and I can see why (it's amusing that they've proudly highlighted what they saw, and yet included the unhighlighted note below the table which is key to this issue).

The Resistor Pullup table should've added a note marker next to the 3A @ 5V result (or for the entire column just to be sure the reader sees the table footnote).
The note is also confusing. It should have been a 4-point list for each of the non C-to-C assemblies instead of a one long sentence. My eyesight just blurred while trying to read it.

I'm not surprised the cable manufacturers, all rushing to make a fast buck, ignored anything outside the table. It's a good thing Benson Leung was around to alert us of this.

this_guy

I hadn't followed SoC news lately, and just found out the specs for Qualcomm's 820.

Seems to me they've reverted to their tried and true strategy of "if you're unsure how to innovate, just copy whatever Apple's doing".
They've noticeably decreased core count to 2+2, instead of going for the octa/deca approach of Chinese designers. Though it's probably a sound bet, given that multi-threading is highly reliant on bandwidth, something no mobile chip designer can boast about.

That's how Qualcomm chips were in the past - they used their own custom designed cpu cores (Krait) in previous Snapdragon socs and didn't need octacore chips. This past year they didn't have their 64bit cpu core ready and went with standard ARM cores.

If they think they have A9-class single-threaded performance, they don't need the massive core counts of the Mediatek and Huawei offerings.

It's becoming increasingly clear that the base ARM Cortex-A53 and A57/72 are sorely lacking in single-threaded performance, that's why Qualcomm is pushing the Kryo custom cores in 820 and Samsung has moved to their own Mongoose "M1" custom cores on the Exynos 8890.

Apple has pushed the Android SoC manufacturers really hard on both single-threaded and GPU performance and everyone who owns Android devices will benefit. Single-threaded CPU gains will be felt in 2016 but GPU performance in particular is poised for a big upgrade, since Qualcomm is going to have Adreno 530 and longtime GPU holdouts Samsung are promising ARM Mali-T880 MP12, which is the largest number of Mali GPU cores anyone has tried to stack on one SoC.

We already had a proper single-thread SoC that was comparable to the AX line and it wasn't that much of a big deal: Nvidia K1. Not to mention a very powerful GPU.

Additionally, all the big players are either making their own SoC or making custom cores. Hell even Samsung is making their own GPU. It's about control more than something wrong with the ARM designs.

lunchtoast

Cool just ordered 2 the other day. I was always aware these cables aren't meant for fast charging, and I'm not going to use these cables for anything other than my phone.

It is important for people to realize you shouldn't use these cables to charge laptops and such. I would never try to charge a chrombook/macbook via computer.

Also, my 5x has a shitty lag sometimes when waking up. I think it has to do with chrome.

Mindwipe

For some reason it looks like the contact picture quality on 6p is worse than N6.

Just overall, why doesn't Google allow us to use HQ contact pictures!

It looks wretched no matter what. The contacts app is actually a bit of a disaster design wise - huge, low res photos and crushing down the phone numbers so it needs an additional tap to do it's damned job, even on a tablet. Sigh.

Airan

Cool just ordered 2 the other day. I was always aware these cables aren't meant for fast charging, and I'm not going to use these cables for anything other than my phone.

It is important for people to realize you shouldn't use these cables to charge laptops and such. I would never try to charge a chrombook/macbook via computer.

And how is the average consumer supposed to know that? Many just buy a USB cable and expect it to charge whatever they plug it into. It's certainly been that way for me for the past 6 years or so.

The problem is when manufacturers (and not even shady ones, this is a reputable manufacturer!) advertise their Type C-to-Type A cable as 3A-capable when Type-A is most commonly used in USB v2 and v3 compatible devices, which generally do not support that amount of current - according to wiki it is 0.5A and 0.9A for v2 and v3 respectively.

Even if you are vigilant now, you may forget in the future when you eventually purchase a device which can and will draw 3A for charging.

Actually wait, you have a 5X - that supports 3A charging. Best check if your charging adapter can supply 3A.

VPhys

Yes. I am waiting for the "approved" cables to come down a bit. The cables that Benson has blessed are expensive.

To tie me over I got a pair of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0151RKYBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and will use them until the better cables come down in price. These adapters work fine on my 6P and when charging they do not register as "fast charging" on the Nexus so I think I am ok.

Exokell

Banned
That's awesome! So how did it go down? Did it just randomly end back up on your desk or something?
One of my coworkers found it in one of the shelves at work. I would never put it there. I'm really glad to have it back. I kept on placing my finger on the back of my g3 like an idiot.

Hello All!

I currently have an S4 and looking to upgrade. I'm with Verizon, and my top 2 choices are:

Note 5 ($150 one time payment at Best Buy with 2 year renewel)
Nexus 6P ($499 at Google)

Question, do yall think there will be a sale of the Nexus 6P come Black Friday? I'm leaning towards 6P but it's so much more expensive.

One of my coworkers found it in one of the shelves at work. I would never put it there. I'm really glad to have it back. I kept on placing my finger on the back of my g3 like an idiot.
Oh cool. Well, I'm glad you got it back.

The Cerberus anti theft app (I think the paid version) has an option that allows you to prevent long pressing the power button on the lock screen, which would prevent someone from being able to turn your phone off. Though honestly, it should be a standard feature on all phones.

Hello All!

I currently have an S4 and looking to upgrade. I'm with Verizon, and my top 2 choices are:

Note 5 ($150 one time payment at Best Buy with 2 year renewel)
Nexus 6P ($499 at Google)

Question, do yall think there will be a sale of the Nexus 6P come Black Friday? I'm leaning towards 6P but it's so much more expensive.
If you don't want to pay that much for the 6P, the Note 5 is a great choice. Both phones are amazing. If you have no problem with Samsung's software, then go with the Note. If you're someone that likes flashing ROMs or anything like that, then Nexus is one of the only options for that.

I don't think there will be any black Friday deals on the 6P, but who knows.

If you haven't already I'd consider wiping it. I'd be worried somebody might have installed some spyware crap on it. That seems really odd that they stole it and then returned it.

Oh cool. Well, I'm glad you got it back.

The Cerberus anti theft app (I think the paid version) has an option that allows you to prevent long pressing the power button on the lock screen, which would prevent someone from being able to turn your phone off. Though honestly, it should be a standard feature on all phones.

If you don't want to pay that much for the 6P, the Note 5 is a great choice. Both phones are amazing. If you have no problem with Samsung's software, then go with the Note. If you're someone that likes flashing ROMs or anything like that, then Nexus is one of the only options for that.

I don't think there will be any black Friday deals on the 6P, but who knows.

Thanks! So $150 is a pretty good deal for the Note 5 considering it just came out a couple of months ago? At first I was going to wait until January when rumors had it the s7 might release. But since those are rumors and other articles said it's highly unlikely it'll release before March, I think I have to make the purchase now via Black Friday sales or I might as well wait until March if I miss it.

I so like having the ability to get the most recent OS but it's not a deal breaker. And I'm familiar enough with both s4 and s6 so it's probably a fairly easy transition.

Thanks! So $150 is a pretty good deal for the Note 5 considering it just came out a couple of months ago? At first I was going to wait until January when rumors had it the s7 might release. But since those are rumors and other articles said it's highly unlikely it'll release before March, I think I have to make the purchase now via Black Friday sales or I might as well wait until March if I miss it.

I so like having the ability to get the most recent OS but it's not a deal breaker. And I'm familiar enough with both s4 and s6 so it's probably a fairly easy transition.
Yes, I would say it's a good deal. But maybe some others here have some thoughts and know of better deals?

And wow, I somehow completely looked over the fact that you have an S4, haha. Even more ridiculous is that I'm also still using an S4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom