• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasualTR

Banned
I'm liking the new Play Store design.

Just got a small update for my LG G3, seems to have sorted the performance and stability problems.

I'm actually pretty happy with my work s6 edge.

tCm6SpS.jpg

Battery life is great on it. Unrooted and all i did was use the package disabler to disable samsung's bloat.
are you mostly on wifi or cellular? Do you use work email on it? Does it get emails pushed to it constantly throughout the day? Do you use any messaging apps like hangouts/facebook/etc...?

I'm honestly asking lol. My work phone s6 thoughI barely touch it doesn't get nearly that and all I do is text and look at emails. And I've disabled a lot.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Did Pushbullet just jump the shark? They've introduced Pushbullet Pro and while I'm all for developers getting paid, locking away previously free features behind a subscription service is a little scummy, no? Universal copy and paste especially is a core feature for many, and there are plenty of fans who now seem very annoyed. What do people use as alternatives?

Did Pushbullet just jump the shark? They've introduced Pushbullet Pro and while I'm all for developers getting paid, locking away previously free features behind a subscription service is a little scummy, no? Universal copy and paste especially is a core feature for many, and there are plenty of fans who now seem very annoyed. What do people use as alternatives?

If you have to ask...

NuUNog1.png

Only 100 messages per month, no actionable notifications and no universal copy/paste anymore for free users.

Well, it had to happen at some point, but it's not worth $39 per year or 4.99 per month to me.

Developers add subscriptions people complain, developers put ads in the app people complain. People tend to forget that things they use for free still cost money to make? The developers, project managers, designers, etc all need to be paid. I don't think its scummy, they either find a way to make money or the service disappears.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Developers add subscriptions people complain, developers put ads in the app people complain. People tend to forget that things they use for free still cost money to make? The developers, project managers, designers, etc all need to be paid. I don't think its scummy, they either find a way to make money or the service disappears.

People just want to pay once and have no bullshit. It isn't that people want shit for free. It's they hate the sub model specifically.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is anybody on Apple Music getting constant crashes? It's annoying to have to switch back to the app to restart the music.

No, but I haven't used it enough to tell. It's still beta tagged though, and it doesn't work on that many devices.

Seems like a real rollout won't happen till next year now.

EmiPrime

People just want to pay once and have no bullshit. It isn't that people want shit for free. It's they hate the sub model specifically.

This. I have a lot of paid software on OS X, Android and iOS, I am happy to pay for something I use everyday. I am not adding sodding Pushbullet to my monthly outgoings however.

Zero Hero

My local Staples had Moto 360s on sale for $99.90. I'm not sure if it's a national sale. The website lists them at $150 with the stone leather band. $250 just seemed like a lot for what it is while $99 is just right for me. It's a little odd as I haven't worn a watch in 20 years.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Using a program for free for years is scummy. The subscription model stinks but people will complain when there's any money involved, whether up front or over time. Developers should just ignore this crowd entirely.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Using a program for free for years is scummy. The subscription model stinks but people will complain when there's any money involved, whether up front or over time. Developers should just ignore this crowd entirely.

Using a program that's provided for free is scummy? So you're saying all Chrome users are scummy? I use a pile of free programs, another lot I pay monthly subs for, and even more I pay one off fees for. I'm all for supporting devs, but I dislike bait and switch approaches like this.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think people are miffed that previously free features are going behind a very steep pay wall.

I'd rather just pay once for something and be done with it. The whole Pushbullet thing leaves me upset not because they're charging for it, but because it kind of comes off as a bait and switch so to speak. They offered the service for free for quite some time now and now that they've amassed a large user base they switch gears and put a subscription model in place hoping people will pay. If they wanted to make money they should have just been charging for the app from the start or they could've introduced a one-time "Pro" like payment to get more features.

This would be like Nova offering everything for free and then down the road saying "Well we have a lot of people that LOVE our app so lets try charging a subscription fee for our previously free stuff".

I like the Google model better. Build a free service that amasses a gigantic user base and kills off every single competitor then shut it down because they realized building something like an RSS reader for mass market data collection was a dumbass idea.

I know this is a super stupid question to experienced Android users, but I seem to be missing something.

How do I get Google Now to actually talk back to me Siri-style? It almost always seems to just dump me a results page on Google as if I was doing a web search. That's not usable at all when I'm trying to do some basic things on my phone while driving (check/send texts, play music, etc.) Is there some driving mode or something I'm not aware of?

Noema

After using the nexus 6 for 3 days, I've gotta say, the display is pretty poor. It's really dim and over saturated. I appreciate the inky AMOLED blacks but other than that it's just... eh.

Performance is awesome though.

zewone

Is the Nexus 7 still the best Android tablet to buy?

I need something for work and it needs at least 5.1 with 6.0 probably being more preferable, but that S4 Pro CPU seems extremely dated.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Using a program that's provided for free is scummy? So you're saying all Chrome users are scummy? I use a pile of free programs, another lot I pay monthly subs for, and even more I pay one off fees for. I'm all for supporting devs, but I dislike bait and switch approaches like this.
That's how every tech company works. They amass a large user base then try to monetize. It's literally the standard operating procedure. If you didn't see this writing on the wall, then I don't know what to tell you. Keep the dream alive.

Better this approach than sell out to some data mining company. People get upset at Quickpic.

I know this is a super stupid question to experienced Android users, but I seem to be missing something.

How do I get Google Now to actually talk back to me Siri-style? It almost always seems to just dump me a results page on Google as if I was doing a web search. That's not usable at all when I'm trying to do some basic things on my phone while driving (check/send texts, play music, etc.) Is there some driving mode or something I'm not aware of?
Go to setting > voice > voice output, and make sure it's set to on. If that doesn't work, then you are currently experiencing the same issue as I. After one of the updates a couple of months ago, the Google app will not respond to me at all, no matter what question I ask or query I make. What's weird is that if you do a voice search within Chrome, you'll still get voice responses.

Reckoner

After using the nexus 6 for 3 days, I've gotta say, the display is pretty poor. It's really dim and over saturated. I appreciate the inky AMOLED blacks but other than that it's just... eh.

Performance is awesome though.

Do yourself a favor

Install Franco's kernel and his app, and you can make it look much better. Also, having it at 493 native dpi is a must.

Bloodember

Is the Nexus 7 still the best Android tablet to buy?

I need something for work and it needs at least 5.1 with 6.0 probably being more preferable, but that S4 Pro CPU seems extremely dated.
Try the Nvidia Shield tablet. Very good tablet and they just announced a new one without the stylus for about $50 cheaper.

Android truly is the Windows of mobile. My mom's phone couldn't receive or send mms messages. I cleared data, messed around with the APN settings, etc., but still nothing worked. And it wasn't just a Google Messenger problem. Other sms apps didn't work either. So I did the "when in doubt" Windows fix and rebooted the phone. Motherfu.... Everything works perfectly again.

Android truly is the Windows of mobile. My mom's phone couldn't receive or send mms messages. I cleared data, messed around with the APN settings, etc., but still nothing worked. And it wasn't just a Google Messenger problem. Other sms apps didn't work either. So I did the "when in doubt" Windows fix and rebooted the phone. Motherfu.... Everything works perfectly again.

There's actually a reason why all the tech support call scripts start with "Did you restart it?"

Google Now decides when it wants to talk. There no option to turn it talking to you off or on.

yogloo

Flashed marshmallow on my z3 compact. Wow. Buttery smooth. Battery life seems to be pretty good too. It compares favorably to kitkat.

Not bad looking. Notification panel looks much better, although I still wish Samsung would do the stock Android method of one swipe for notifications, two swipes for quick settings (and maybe two to three rows of them instead of one).

I feel like it wastes space when all I want to do is look at my notifications.

No one fucking wants that one swipe two swipe bullshit and keep that off my Touchwiz, your phone has plenty of screen space to show notifications unless you have like 20 of them in which case the UI isn't the problem.

Notification shade needs to be a darker color, the centered clock (finally) on the lock screen is great, but those ugly ass Nokia-esque icons ruin it. I'm assuming some of what's shown here will change though. Looks nice overall, mostly the same as current TouchWiz.

No one fucking wants that one swipe two swipe bullshit and keep that off my Touchwiz, your phone has plenty of screen space to show notifications unless you have like 20 of them in which case the UI isn't the problem.
Google nor any OEM uses the best implementation of the notification/quick settings, though Google kinda did on tablets a while back. It needs to be swipe down from top on one side for notifications, and the other side for quick settings, like in custom ROMs.

The stock method is less intuitive, unless you pull down with two fingers, and the OEM method takes up too much space

Not bad looking. Notification panel looks much better, although I still wish Samsung would do the stock Android method of one swipe for notifications, two swipes for quick settings (and maybe two to three rows of them instead of one).

I feel like it wastes space when all I want to do is look at my notifications.

they do the former stock method of two finger swipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom