• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Anyone else get tired of home-screen/lock-screen wallpapers a day after changing them? Why can't I ever be satisfied, I get bored of a nice wallpaper less than a day after putting it on. Is there any hope for us forever unsatisfied folks?

Try Tapet. Proceedurally generated wallpapers that automatically change at whatever specified interval you want. Plus, you can save the generated photo if you like it and adjust its parameters to get the types of content you want.

jeEywPE.png
PV74Was.png

UynMly0.png
Eg9hEJS.png

tzare

Guys I need a little bit of help.

I am gonna get a phone for my Grandfather. He is pretty old (in his 80s) so I would like to set it up for him in a way that its the least amount of hassle possible. I gave him my old android phone to test out since this will be his first touch phone and he didnt get on with it too well. Too many options, too many things he could click on.

So I figure on this one, I will install some sort of a launcher. Something that makes everything super large (his eyesight isnt that great) and basically locks out most of the phone settings. All he needs this phone for is calling, texts and camera. No internet, nothing else.

Any recommendations?

Huawei, sony and samsung phones have an easy mode.
You could try a Windows phone launcher too.

We already had a proper single-thread SoC that was comparable to the AX line and it wasn't that much of a big deal: Nvidia K1. Not to mention a very powerful GPU.

Additionally, all the big players are either making their own SoC or making custom cores. Hell even Samsung is making their own GPU. It's about control more than something wrong with the ARM designs.

If you mean the Tegra K1 with Denver, it used way more power and ran way hotter than possible for a mobile SoC. Even in the Nexus 9, it still had overheating issues and it was also horribly buggy. Nvidia wasn't ever able to get their power envelope under control and still have decent performance which is why they are now chasing car computing instead of mobile.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you're down on Nvidia, just wait until next time when Vanillalite wrongly gets hyped for it again. Every year. It's hilarious.

Yes, I would say it's a good deal. But maybe some others here have some thoughts and know of better deals?

And wow, I somehow completely looked over the fact that you have an S4, haha. Even more ridiculous is that I'm also still using an S4.

Yea, it's tough. It's tempting to even get the phone right now since the deal is already live and they most likely won't have a better one on actual BF (The deal is supposedly a BF deal)

Haha nice! Mine has 32 GB and I'm having a tough time maintaining it. It's always full. I move everything to an SD as much as possible but it's still pretty bad.

A new phone + 64 GB system memory sounds awesome right about now.

Reckoner

I tried both a 5X and Z5 today, out of curiosity.

I don't really like the 5X build quality. The build being the same as the original 5 is a lie. It's more plasticky and doesn't have that rubbery feel to the back; the buttons are just plastic and not ceramic. What I really liked was the screen on this - Seemed color accurate and with good enough colors. Couldn't try how it performs, though, as some guy decided to put a random lock pin on it at the store I went.

The Z5 is beautiful. Loved the materials, and the phone seemed more light than my 6S. The feel of the frosted glass is really nice in hand. Screen is cool on this, too. Was disappointed to see a micro stutter on such a price-y phone, though, when I opened the Settings app and scrolled down right away. But that probably was just a thing of the moment and doesn't happen much.

Hope to try the 6P one of these days.

Ah forgot that I tried the X Play too and the first thing I noticed was how high the software dpi were. Don't know what's the deal of Moto with having the dpi so higher than the displays. Same thing with the Nexus 6, but probably only Google fault. The E, G and 2014 X are fine.

Hello All!

I currently have an S4 and looking to upgrade. I'm with Verizon, and my top 2 choices are:

Note 5 ($150 one time payment at Best Buy with 2 year renewel)
Nexus 6P ($499 at Google)

Question, do yall think there will be a sale of the Nexus 6P come Black Friday? I'm leaning towards 6P but it's so much more expensive.

You missed out on Best Buy's Flash Sale on Saturday, they had S6 for $1 with 2 year contract. Oh well.

When was the last time Nvidia made any strides in its mobile SOCs?

EDIT: WTF? Just realized stock Android recent apps card layout does not have a close all tasks button? Unless it's hidden somewhere?

sammich

Anyone here try the BB Priv yet? I saw it in store and man, it looks nice. Perfect size and the keyboard.. Oi.. i was thinking about it.. and then saw the price and then see it DOA.

Reckoner

I thought we weren't supposed to do that (end all apps)?

I read about that too.

From what I understood, modern OS already take in consideration that people open many apps and leave them open, and it actually makes it less efficient to close them all and reopen again, both for performance and battery.

And it makes lots of sense.

I read about that too.

From what I understood, modern OS already take in consideration that people open many apps and leave them open, and it actually makes it less efficient to close them all and reopen again, both for performance and battery.

And it makes lots of sense.

Except Android still has a ton of rogue apps that sometimes kill your battery in the background and you have no idea what it is. That's when it's useful. I'm not running in killing all my apps every 5 minutes.

Reckoner

Except Android still has a ton of rogue apps that sometimes kill your battery in the background and you have no idea what it is. That's when it's useful. I'm not running in killing all my apps every 5 minutes.

Yeah you may be right

I think the article I read just considered iOS. It's a shame Google doesn't make an effort on that though.

Hello All!

I currently have an S4 and looking to upgrade. I'm with Verizon, and my top 2 choices are:

Note 5 ($150 one time payment at Best Buy with 2 year renewel)
Nexus 6P ($499 at Google)

Question, do yall think there will be a sale of the Nexus 6P come Black Friday? I'm leaning towards 6P but it's so much more expensive.

Note 5 is < $1 at a few places on Black Friday

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
i dunno how that shit ain't ready yet when Samsung had it working 4 years ago.
And does it work really awesome! Love it on the Note 5.

One thing though, is that they should make it compatible with every app. When I had rooted my S3 back in the day, every app would be compatible with it.

And does it work really awesome! Love it on the Note 5.

One thing though, is that they should make it compatible with every app. When I had rooted my S3 back in the day, every app would be compatible with it.

yeah, the only app that had issues back in the day was Netflix and even that got fixed a while ago.

tzare

you won't kill those apps that way, at least that is my experience. Some keep running in the background.

Even some of them will never appear in the recents app menu.

I think the article I read just considered iOS. It's a shame Google doesn't make an effort on that though.

Isn't Doze supposed to do that?
Some OEM's have their own solutions too, like protected apps from Huawei and Stamina Mode from sony

you won't kill those apps that way, at least that is my experience. Some keep running in the background.

Even some of them will never appear in the recents app menu.

Yeah. When Facebook Messenger had the battery draining bug, I had to go to the app menu in system settings and force close it from there. Same for Chrome or any of the other stupid apps.

Maiar_m

Damn I was about to go Sony Z5C because of the 6P overpricing and very late coming in Europe but those reports of stuttering really discouraged me :(

DagsJT

I've never had to reboot a phone as often due to sluggishness as I have with this 5X. I hardly ever rebooted my Z3 Compact or G4, but after a couple of days on the 5X the whole phone slows to a crawl.

Trying to browse, the phone will hang and think I've done a long press when I've swiped. A reboot sorts it bit it's crazy that a Nexus is performing worse.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Damn I was about to go Sony Z5C because of the 6P overpricing and very late coming in Europe but those reports of stuttering really discouraged me :(

An update was pushed very recently to the Z5 & Z5C which users on xda say made the device much smother.

Maybe he the unit he tried hasn't installed or got that update yet.

tzare

Skip year is almost over!!!

Can't wait to see what S7 has to offer so i can have an idea if Note 6 will be my next phone or i will have to consider other options. Hopefully Sammy bring back some features, as well as finally having decent SoCs next year.

Kuros

I'm actually pretty happy with my work s6 edge.

tCm6SpS.jpg

Battery life is great on it. Unrooted and all i did was use the package disabler to disable samsung's bloat.

zatara

I've never had to reboot a phone as often due to sluggishness as I have with this 5X. I hardly ever rebooted my Z3 Compact or G4, but after a couple of days on the 5X the whole phone slows to a crawl.

Trying to browse, the phone will hang and think I've done a long press when I've swiped. A reboot sorts it bit it's crazy that a Nexus is performing worse.

that's why i got rid of mine, has to be the 2gb of ram causing it, every other 808 phone I've used had 3gb and was never as sluggish as my 5x was.

vdlow

Does anyone here had the "mobile radio active" bug on Lollipop and got it fixed with Marshmallow?

25% of my battery is spent with Twitter app (official one or a third party, result is the same) because of this bug. I remember reading that it was marked as fixed on Android issue tracker but never seen anyone that had this problem saying it was fixed after the update.

Does anyone here had the "mobile radio active" bug on Lollipop and got it fixed with Marshmallow?

25% of my battery is spent with Twitter app (official one or a third party, result is the same) because of this bug. I remember reading that it was marked as fixed on Android issue tracker but never seen anyone that had this problem saying it was fixed after the update.
Had it sometimes with Lollipop, has yet to happen with Marshmallow *knocks on wood*.

But i had the WiFi-drain-bug/thing with Marshmallow, but disabling the WiFi search for location services solved that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom