• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchAngel

Horizon Chase is out on Android!
Was waiting for it since I played the iOS version on my brothers iPhone :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aquiris.horizonchase

screen640x640.jpeg

EDIT: Not compatible with the Nexus 6? WTF?

ukas

Horizon Chase is out on Android!
Was waiting for it since I played the iOS version on my brothers iPhone :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aquiris.horizonchase

screen640x640.jpeg

EDIT: Not compatible with the Nexus 6? WTF?

Regarding the 6P (Marshmallow)

There is an issue with the new permission system in Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). We're already working on fix for this problem. In the meantime, please follow these steps to fix this issue: Go to settings - Apps - Horizon Chase - Permissions, then activate the "Storage" permission. The game should be working normally after this.

ukas

But it won't appear on the Play Store if it's not compatible. I can't change settings for a game that I can't download/install :(

APK incoming ;)

Probably because they haven't fixed the issue yet. I'm guessing they probably turned off downloads for 6 once they found the issue. Hence, the instructions for people that were able to download it. And in the web version of the store it does show games/apps that are incompatible.

Well, I decided to go with Note 5.
$149.99 at Best Buy for 64GB.

Locked in at 2 years so hopefully I love it! Should be a pretty good update from S4

clav

Congrats. That's a huge upgrade from the S4. The Note 5 is an amazing phone.

I was tempted to upgrade, but the glass is offputting. The design on the Note 5 is essentially a reverse large S6 edge (i.e. cover + front layers are inverted).

Hopefully owners don't drop the phone nor lose the S-Pen as both items can tend to fall out depending on your pockets. Don't stick the S-Pen the wrong way.

NeOak

So I received my PRIV today. I'm coming from Windows Phone.. Some questions if you please:

1. It doesn't have a gallery app. And Google Photos is bad. Recommendations?
2. Where are the pictures saved? Still to Sdcard/DCIM?
3. Music software?
4. Recommendations for Email app? Using the BBHub so far
5. Any other tips?

Thanks

Bloodember

So I received my PRIV today. I'm coming from Windows Phone.. Some questions if you please:

3. Music software?
5. Any other tips?

Thanks

1. Gallery, should be on the play store
2. Should be
3. Onkyo HF Player or Hibymusic
4. Outlook or gmail app
5. Just learn your phone and enjoy it.

3. Music software?
5. Any other tips?

Thanks
mail app = gmail or outlook
music = play music
if you don't like google photos just get the basic gallery

Just got my Shield Tablet and wow! The speakers are amazing. Better than Boomsound even. Can't wait to play a few games on this. I have an issue with the screen though. The touch is very nonsensitive. Have to tap harder or swipe hard for it to register.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

3. Music software?
5. Any other tips?

Thanks

1. Good photos is good. Plus you get the benefit of cloud backups.

3. Google Music or Spotify

4. Gmail App

5. 90% of the time use Google's own apps

3. Music software?
5. Any other tips?

Thanks

1. Google Photos is no worse or better than Gallery, except with THE CLOUD
2. You should be able to choose where photos go in the camera app
3. Poweramp for offline, Google Play Music for streaming/cloud
4. That's fine
5. Don't cum when you realize just how many amazing apps there are you've never seen before, it's okay. Stay calm. You don't have to try them ALL on your first day with the phone.

After debating it for a week I ordered a 5X and my iPhone's going back on eBay. I was right on the edge and B&H selling it tax-free just tipped me over.

Congrats. That's a huge upgrade from the S4. The Note 5 is an amazing phone.

Thanks! I'm loving it already. Except that it downloaded all my old apps but it's not bad since I can just delete what I don't want haha. I also need to learn how to sync my contacts from my old phone.

If you have a Samsung Pay accepted card check out Samsung's promotion page if you haven't already. Today is the last "Purchase Period" day to be eligible for all the free crap they're offering.

http://promo.samsungpromotions.com/giftsoftheseason/

Thanks!! I just did it. I just bought the new Qi Fast wireless charger too, whoops. But another one won't hurt especially free!

EDIT: Oh crap I should have done the $50 rebate instead haha

If you’re new to Note series, here's a good video to watch and learn about useful features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRIX9YP3Lk

Thanks, will watch!

clav

They come with extra tips

No, clicker assembly and other stuff glued together fall apart. Note 5's S-Pen is cheaply made as it can even get stuck in the normal operating position.

Phone is $200 to repair with a mail-in.

Pain in the ass to repair it yourself with all that epoxy glue.

$50 glass back replacement covers.

Some wires route from the bottom of the device and are not neatly laid out. One YouTube dissection video mentioned it.

Thanks! I'm loving it already. Except that it downloaded all my old apps but it's not bad since I can just delete what I don't want haha. I also need to learn how to sync my contacts from my old phone.

Thanks!! I just did it. I just bought the new Qi Fast wireless charger too, whoops. But another one won't hurt especially free!

EDIT: Oh crap I should have done the $50 rebate instead haha

Thanks, will watch!
Worth noting that the $50 rebate offer and the holiday bundle stack as separate promotions.

No, clicker assembly and other stuff glued together fall apart. Note 5's S-Pen is cheaply made as it can even get stuck in the normal operating position.

Phone is $200 to repair with a mail-in.

Pain in the ass to repair it yourself with all that epoxy glue.

$50 glass back replacement covers.

Some wires route from the bottom of the device and are not neatly laid out. One YouTube dissection video mentioned it.

Wow....none of these problems occur with the Note 4. What the hell was Samsung doing in 2015 and could they please stahp in 2016.

Bloodember

Wow....none of these problems occur with the Note 4. What the hell was Samsung doing in 2015 and could they please stahp in 2016.
My s-pen has never gotten stuck.

I like the glass all around the phone.

The note 4 is also $200 for repair.

Lastly the majority of people will not fix their own phone, so it doesnt matter how its put together.

clav

My s-pen has never gotten stuck.

I like the glass all around the phone.

The note 4 is also $200 for repair.

Lastly the majority of people will not fix their own phone, so it doesnt matter how its put together.

There are threads of people with stuck S-Pens. Eventually over time, it's going to break.

Note 4 has a user accessible battery without using a heatgun and pry tool.

Can't believe carriers stopped selling it once the Note 5 was out.

Bloodember

There are threads of people with stuck S-Pens. Eventually over time, it's going to break.

Note 4 has a user accessible battery without using a heatgun and pry tool.

Can't believe carriers stopped selling it once the Note 5 was out.
Ok. Its plastic, yeah it'll break.

Forgot about the battery thing.

So I got an invite for the One Plus X. I'm currently using a LG G3 and am leaning towards the OPX or an HTC A9. I'm in Los Angeles, so the lack of band 12 in the X shouldn't be an issue as it supports the other LTE bands on T-Mobile, so I should be fine unless TMO is replacing existing bands with 12.

Help me decide GAF. Or should I just keep the G3 a while longer?

Bloodember

So I got an invite for the One Plus X. I'm currently using a LG G3 and am leaning towards the OPX or an HTC A9. I'm in Los Angeles, so the lack of band 12 in the X shouldn't be an issue as it supports the other LTE bands on T-Mobile, so I should be fine unless TMO is replacing existing bands with 12.

I honestly wouldnt get the oneplus, mainly because their customer support is crap. Im assuming your on tmobile, but if your on att, the X is missing band 17 also, which is the major lte band for them. The a9 is nice, just overpriced. If you want a new phone, id look elsewhere.

tzare

probably old news but there's an option now in Google Photos settings (desktop version) to save space from previous uploads (G+ and Drive), it converts photos to 'compressed' to take advantadge of unlimited high quality storage.
A bit late and hidden but worth anyways.

yeah, after the S6 didn't do like they hoped, they decided to dry up the Note 4 to help the Note 5 out as much as they could.

weird considering note 5 hasn't even launched in some countries.
I wonder what strategy will they follow if announce S7 soon: releasy current outdated (SoC wise) Note 5 along with S7, make an updated Note 5 with new SoC... or just wait for Note 6.

3phemeral

probably old news but there's an option now in Google Photos settings (desktop version) to save space from previous uploads (G+ and Drive), it converts photos to 'compressed' to take advantadge of unlimited high quality storage.
A bit late and hidden but worth anyways.

weird considering note 5 hasn't even launched in some countries.
I wonder what strategy will they follow if announce S7 soon: releasy current outdated (SoC wise) Note 5 along with S7, make an updated Note 5 with new SoC... or just wait for Note 6.
Yeah, just read about this. Could have happened sooner, though, since about a month ago I had to download and re-compress my mom's old photos manually because having a full drive blocked her gmail access. Nice feature, nonetheless.

Quick question to Galaxy S5 owners (or anyone who knows how to fix this):

My mother doesn't get any notifications from Hangouts anymore, this started a few weaks ago. I checked the notification options in-app and in the phone options, nothing looks to be deactivated and notifications should be going out ...

Anyone knows where to look/what to do to get this problem fixed? Google didn't show up anything worthwhile...

I love the manual camera controls on my G4! I seriously can't go back to a phone that doesn't have them. I'm not a photography expert but I had some very basic training years ago. I only use it for concerts because otherwise I've always gotten pictures where the singer looks like a light entity.

Pyrokai

Okay, so as a returning Android user, I've got a few questions of my own for my new 6P:

1) I used to use Google Voice for voicemail only. Is this still the best option for a visual voicemail experience on Android?

2) [IGNORE] I use Google Photos and like it a lot.... But I saw you guys suggesting Gallery app as an alternative. I still love Google Photos, but I'd like the Gallery app just so I can more quickly view Photos stores on ny device (rather than going to the "Device Folders" tab on the side tray menu of Photos). Problem is I can't actually find it on the Play Store. It's made by Google right? I even browser every one of their apps and didn't find it.

3) Does Chrome to Phone not work anymore or something?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Ignore #2. I found some Gallery apps for photos on my phone I like :)

Despite what everyone said Google doesn't make a gallery app. Usually devices ship with a gallery app that the OEM made alongside Google photos, but BlackBerry didn't include one for the Priv which is why we were suggesting apps.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's a side grade at best. Why move from an 801 phone to an 801 phone?

Just wait it out till next year. Your G3 is more than fine to do 99% of the shit you'd need it to do.

If youre gonna upgrade, at least upgrade. Dont get those. You can find a G4 for 400 bucks or a Moto X Pure.

this_guy

Okay, so as a returning Android user, I've got a few questions of my own for my new 6P:

1) I used to use Google Voice for voicemail only. Is this still the best option for a visual voicemail experience on Android?

I think it is - because now you can check voicemail directly from the Dialer app instead of a separate voicemail app. If you use Google voice it'll add another tab in your Dialer app and just keeps things cleaner.

Wait for Snapdragon 820 in a couple of months.

Buying a 500+ phone now is not the brightest of ideas if you can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom