• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I'm having to dump Windows Phone due to my jobs' IT group not supporting it. I loved the OS so much but the lack of app support was getting to me and my work not supporting it was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm looking at either the Note5, the edge plus or the vanilla S6. I can save 100$ by getting the vanilla S6. I can also get a S6 edge but the plus is the same price. I use my phone for work a lot. Any recommendations?

Def Note 5 in that list

So silly that Android doesn't have native call blocking. I don't trust third-party apps with the the data for my contacts/messages and it feels like a feature that should have been implemented a long time ago.

reKon

Banned
why aren't my gifs working in my hangouts group chat? I'm now going to have to hear how much better iPhones are in this chat since the gifs coming from those phones are animating, smh..

So silly that Android doesn't have native call blocking. I don't trust third-party apps with the the data for my contacts/messages and it feels like a feature that should have been implemented a long time ago.
samsung does what google don't

why aren't my gifs working in my hangouts group chat? I'm now going to have to hear how much better iPhones are in this chat since the gifs coming from those phones are animating, smh..
to be fair though, hangouts is way better on iphones :p

O shit I finally got the new Play Store!
I'm still waiting :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's not how call-blocking usually works that's just a half-ass solution when it shouldn't be necessary.
Works fine. Yes, there should be a better way. But no, the work around is good enough. There's no real practical difference enough for me to complain.

I'd rather fix the crappy screens.

I'm having to dump Windows Phone due to my jobs' IT group not supporting it. I loved the OS so much but the lack of app support was getting to me and my work not supporting it was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm looking at either the Note5, the edge plus or the vanilla S6. I can save 100$ by getting the vanilla S6. I can also get a S6 edge but the plus is the same price. I use my phone for work a lot. Any recommendations?
The Note5 has slightly higher specs and more importantly better battery but if you're looking for a more compact phone then the S6 is an excellent choice too. I've had it for a month now and I'm suprised by how good and lag-free it is. Just remember to put a Marshmallow theme on it to get rid of the ugly TouchWiz UI (S6 natively supports themes without a need for launchers).

Bloodember

The Note5 has slightly higher specs and more importantly better battery but if you're looking for a more compact phone then the S6 is an excellent choice too. I've had it for a month now and I'm suprised by how good and lag-free it is. Just remember to put a Marshmallow theme on it to get rid of the ugly TouchWiz UI (S6 natively supports themes without a need for launchers).

Am I the only one the likes TouchWiz?

I like TouchWiz in terms of the functionality (was shocked when I used stock Android and a lot of stuff I took for granted wasn't there!), I just don't like the app icons and the use of colours, especially on the notification bar. So for me using a stock Marshmallow TouchWiz theme seemed like the best choice to get the best of both worlds.

Agent

Just noticed this morning there are signs of ghosting/burn in on the status bar / navigation buttons of my 6p already. It is faint, not easily seen, but rather annoying for a 3 week old phone. I'm cringing about what it may look like in a few months.

Mindwipe

Being able to navigate sections from the sidebar is a huge improvement in the Play Store. But they've got to get rid of the rounded bars at the top, they don't fit material at all.

Just noticed this morning there are signs of ghosting/burn in on the status bar / navigation buttons of my 6p already. It is faint, not easily seen, but rather annoying for a 3 week old phone. I'm cringing about what it may look like in a few months.

Definitely something that makes me nervous about the 6P. Never had an AMOLED device before and aim to use this thing a good couple of years at least. Probably going to hide the navbar, some kind of permanent immersive mode would be nice. Will have to do some research.

Furyous

Yes, you're the only one. Samsung bastardizes Android.

Where's the poster with the Priv. Tell us about your Priv (hehehe) life. How's the SOT? How does the device fit in your hands?

Is the S820 really a huge improvement over the S810? What ways is the S820 better? Only reason I haven't bought a smartphone yet is I know I'll regret it in a year.

Where's the poster with the Priv. Tell us about your Priv (hehehe) life. How's the SOT? How does the device fit in your hands?

Is the S820 really a huge improvement over the S810? What ways is the S820 better? Only reason I haven't bought a smartphone yet is I know I'll regret it in a year.

The 820 architecture will be different so yeah it will be a big difference especially on thermal and battery.

NeOak

My BlackBerry Perv is fine. It fits nice in my hand and I have been trying both the leather cover and the hard case to how it handles.

It hasn't given me any problems, and since BlackBerry shipped an almost stock Android, it runs fine on the 808 it has.

Can't give you a SOT number, just that it definitely doesn't last as long as the Lumia 1520 I used before the Priv.

And yes, the 820 is back to custom Qualcomm cores which destroy the stock cores the 810 and 808 have.

Noema

Nothing like picking up my phone after a couple of hours, feeling it really warm to the touch and finding out Android System has just drained 50% of my battery.

#reversedoze.

Yes, custom cores, faster modem, new and improved ISP and better manufacturing process.

There are other features as well (Dolby Sound, malware protection, fast charge 3.0, better fingerprint tech) that OEM might use or not.

Even the Snapdragon 620 will be competitive against the 810.

If you use nova prime you honestly rarely see touchwiz other than the settings. And they've greatly improved the settings from the confusing shit in the past. Other place you'll see it is in the dropdown but again the colours are weird but it's not terrible (and they fix it up in marshmallow).

Touchwiz icons and colors shouldn't even be a factor visually anymore since you can just theme it. And like people have said just throw a launcher and its barely recognisable.

bob page

Does anyone have problems with heads up notifications not appearing? I have them enabled on my 6P (marshmallow) but Messenger and some other apps never pop up when I get a message.

Noema

Touchwiz isn't even that bad anymore. It used to be a mess of green and black and gaudy but it looks pretty inoffensive now. They even incorporate some Material design elements.

Nicktendo86

When will people listen to me about fucking amoled. This shit should not be acceptable.

When will people listen to me about fucking amoled. This shit should not be acceptable.

My Moto X 2014 doesn't have this issue. It's not everyone. Sometimes you get shitty panels. It happens.

Speaking of Moto. I wonder what their cyber monday sale is going to be this year? Usually it should be out by now. I hope there's some kind of sale even though the Pure is already cheap. Like even $50 bucks off the 16GB, 75 off the 32, and 100 off the 64.

Speaking of Touchwiz can anybody recommend the S6 over the 5X? I just realized with Target's stacking coupons today I might be able to grab an S6 due less than the cost of the 5X. Making me consider returning the 5X when it comes.

Speaking of Touchwiz can anybody recommend the S6 over the 5X? I just realized with Target's stacking coupons today I might be able to grab an S6 due less than the cost of the 5X. Making me consider returning the 5X when it comes.

Battery life is probably a wash. Both have fingerprint readers. The S6 is nicer in hand and design. If price is the same, the only reason I'd go with 5X is if you really care about updates and stock rom.

Nicktendo86

Like I said mine didn't. I've had a few Samsung phones, the Moto 2014 and the GNex. Never had this problem.
You probably don't notice it but I could almost guarantee they have had burn in to some degree. It may be very subtle, the nav bar for example might have a slight blue tinge compared to the rest of the display on white/grey backgrounds but just knowing it is there is enought to drive me nuts. My galaxy s2, galaxy nexus and Moto X 14 all gotburn in and I never abuse my phones.

This is pretty much what my galaxy nexus looked like after a few months :(

http://i.imgur.com/JDoIA.jpg

You probably don't notice it but I could almost guarantee they have had burn in to some degree. It may be very subtle, the nav bar for example might have a slight blue tinge compared to the rest of the display on white/grey backgrounds but just knowing it is there is enought to drive me nuts. My galaxy s2, galaxy nexus and Moto X 14 all gotburn in and I never abuse my phones.

This is pretty much what my galaxy nexus looked like after a few months :(

http://i.imgur.com/JDoIA.jpg

I just turned on my Moto 2104 and there's nothing. The Moto startup splash is completely white on the bottom. So yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom