• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevyt

Wait for Snapdragon 820 in a couple of months.

Buying a 500+ phone now is not the brightest of ideas if you can wait.

Pretty much. Unless the phone has something the others don't have, wait until the 820 to come out.

And then wait for snapdragon 830 the next year, sd 840 after the nexf, sd850...and so on...

I happily shelled out $590 for my Nexus 6p which has the dreaded sd810 and I could not be happier.

Great phone for me o/

NeOak

Says the person buying a Priv for an illegal amount of money.
<3

lol brot, i love qwerty too much. I'm warming up to this phone pretty fast.

I do miss the last true Nokia phone though.

And then wait for snapdragon 830 the next year, sd 840 after the nexf, sd850...and so on...

I happily shelled out $590 for my Nexus 6p which has the dreaded sd810 and I could not be happier.

Great phone for me o/

If I understand correctly, He's just trading one manufacturer for another, that is why some are recommending him to wait.

CronoShot

So I got an invite for the One Plus X. I'm currently using a LG G3 and am leaning towards the OPX or an HTC A9. I'm in Los Angeles, so the lack of band 12 in the X shouldn't be an issue as it supports the other LTE bands on T-Mobile, so I should be fine unless TMO is replacing existing bands with 12.

Help me decide GAF. Or should I just keep the G3 a while longer?

G3 to OPX would be a sidegrade at best, G3 to A9 is actually kind of a downgrade.

As long as the G3 isn't giving you any series issues, I would say wait. If absolutely want a cheap-ish (~$400) unlocked phone right now, I'd say Moto X Pure. Or maybe OnePlus 2, if you can snag an invite.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll probably just hold on to the G3. Its hard to resist when new stuff comes out, but it still seems to be going along good for now.

Saiyan-Rox

Well I got the shield tablet this morning (K1) and have been playing around with it

So far performance is better than the N9 (at least when it came to chrome anyway) but it did start refreshing tabs eventually and had it close spotify on me.

Everything else when compared to the N9 is to be expected since it's a cheaper tablet but so far i'm happy with it but it's weird as hell going back to having the dock on the right hand side of the screen.

oh one other niggle the power button on the top is so hard to press there's very little feel to it when you press it down so it doesn't feel like you're actually pressing it in.

Noema

So I got an invite for the One Plus X. I'm currently using a LG G3 and am leaning towards the OPX or an HTC A9. I'm in Los Angeles, so the lack of band 12 in the X shouldn't be an issue as it supports the other LTE bands on T-Mobile, so I should be fine unless TMO is replacing existing bands with 12.

Help me decide GAF. Or should I just keep the G3 a while longer?

The A9 is a downgrade from your G3 in many ways. The SD617 is slower than the SD801 on the G3, and not only is the battery in the A9 much smaller, it's non replaceable. Plus it's very overpriced even at $400. You can get a Moto X Style for that much, a much better devices or a Nexus 6.

I'd wait or try to get hold of a 5x or a 6p. Don't buy the A9.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So uh...I'm on a Note 4 running 5.1.1. The past few weeks, I've noticed my battery dying quicker than normal. No biggie, right? Well today, I observed my battery going from 27% down to 7% in a mater of 5-6 seconds. What gives?

Never been rooted or anything.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So uh...I'm on a Note 4 running 5.1.1. The past few weeks, I've noticed my battery dying quicker than normal. No biggie, right? Well today, I observed my battery going from 27% down to 7% in a mater of 5-6 seconds. What gives?

I had that same problem too when I had the Note 4. Instead for me, my battery would just die at like 20%.

Kevyt

If I understand correctly, He's just trading one manufacturer for another, that is why some are recommending him to wait.

Oh I see, lol

Seriously, I feel like if I go ahead and order an iPad Air 2 or Surface 3 during black Friday, the following week Google will announce release date of the Pixel C lol.

Ty4on

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda want one. I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon though and I'd like faster updates than "6.0 sometime next year", smaller LCD and a lower price.

The S820 kinda has to be a big improvement over the S810. If it's not a meaningful improvement over A72s on 14nm I'd be worried. I'm also interested to see if anyone other than Apple (in the mobile space) will be using TSMC and how they'll fare.

I had that same problem too when I had the Note 4. Instead for me, my battery would just die at like 20%.

how old are your batteries?

that wouldn't be shocking after 2-3 years.

zewone

Anyone here rocking their phone naked? I just took my phone off its case and it looks so great without it.

My OP2 is naked. Love that sandpaper feel.

Previously I had a Nexus 6, and that was the slipperiest phone I ever owned. Impossible to use naked in day to day use.

I'm not too found of metal phones because you pretty much have to use a case.

I'd rather have something like the soft touch plastic of the Nexus 5 (2013) on a phone.

Feels great in the hand and you don't have to really worry about it catching a beating.

Assuming your battery stats didn’t reveal anything unusual or dodgy which couldn’t be solved by software or battery reset on your exhaustive part, it could be signs of battery deterioration. Did you experience any significant heat on phone recently? Take out your battery and inspect it. Any noticeable swelling to the naked eye? If not sure, place it on a flat surface and do a spin test. If it spins easily, it’s indicative of slight bulge due to build-up of gases in battery. Time to swap in a new one.

can't day for sure but usually only their ATT/VZW models have a locked bootloader.

I'm aware of this, but this particular Galaxy S6 is sold as "unlocked" on Samsung's website, has no particular carrier affiliation, and it supports Verizon bands 7 and 13. If it's like the International version and bootloader unlocked, it's effectively the same as the "Developer Edition" for Verizon and AT&T since the carrier versions of that phone have locked bootloaders.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Assuming your battery stats didn’t reveal anything unusual or dodgy which couldn’t be solved by software or battery reset on your exhaustive part, it could be signs of battery deterioration. Did you experience any significant heat on phone recently? Take out your battery and inspect it. Any noticeable swelling to the naked eye? If not sure, place it on a flat surface and do a spin test. If it spins easily, it’s indicative of slight bulge due to build-up of gases in battery. Time to swap in a new one.

I've had the phone since release, so just over a year? The phone does run pretty hot at times. Battery looks fine and doesn't spin. If it is the battery, I can look into replacing it. But I'd hate to spend that money on a new battery if that's not the issue.

The battery gets warm, but so does the entire back of the phone.

I've had the phone since release, so just over a year? The phone does run pretty hot at times. Battery looks fine and doesn't spin. If it is the battery, I can look into replacing it. But I'd hate to spend that money on a new battery if that's not the issue.
Well, excessive heat is never a good sign. Does it run hot constantly with normal use or just when running graphically intensive games? What sort of temps? Did your problem started only after 5.1.1 update? No such prior issues on 4.4 or 5.0? Btw how did you do the update? Clean manual method or OTA? If it&#8217;s the latter, perhaps a reset might be in order. Btw, do you maintain vigilance over what gets auto updated in the background? Something like troublesome play store or google services auto update could also be the culprit.

At the end of day, the problem is either software side, like rogue apps misbehaving or stuck process somewhere, or problem with battery itself. If you have a spare, the latter can be quickly discounted as probable cause. If not, I can only throw out possibilities for you to consider and investigate yourself.

Hunting down said culprit may not be as straight forward as you think, unless you&#8217;re a natural or someone with PHD in battery diagnosis and stats analysis. Remedy by process of elimination could also be a time consuming exercise and hair pulling experience. Are you capable of such nerd feats? If not, here&#8217;s what I suggest you do. Everytime you encounter such drain, reboot your device. Do this for a few days and observe. Failing that, go to recovery, wipe and reset. If problem still persists, change battery. And don&#8217;t cheap out on fakes! GL :D

zeomax

Wait for Snapdragon 820 in a couple of months.

Buying a 500+ phone now is not the brightest of ideas if you can wait.

Whats the point to buy year after year a more powerful phone? I have reduced the clock speed of my Galaxy S5 to 1.4ghz and deactivated two cores and still everything works butter smooth.

NeOak

Whats the point to buy year after year a more powerful phone? I have reduced the clock speed of my Galaxy S5 to 1.4ghz and deactivated two cores and still everything works butter smooth.
:lol

Remember when the UI needed to be bruteforced?

Also, installed Firefox on my Priv. I like it more and the add-ons are nice

Is there an estimate for Marshmellow to the Note 5? :)

First impressions of my new Note 5 (coming from S4). I'M LOVING IT!!!!

I watched the video someone linked me above about 100 features for Note 5 and I had to watch it twice to get a bunch of the features going. The gestures alone are awesome.
-Answering via voice
-wake up via hand wave
-calling via holding phone next to ear. Just that stuff makes me love it.
-It feels great in my hands, like the perfect weight. I just got the wallet flap cover and it kind of sucks because I don't have that excellent curved back that feels good to hold, but better to keep it safe.

Maybe I'll only have that on when I'm not at home. Speaking of.

-having safe locations so I can use just a swipe to unlock is AWESOME!
-That and fingerprint for security... so good. I have to set up websites now to login via that.

Next I need to watch the video of just S Note tips.

The past week I started organizing EVERYTHING in my house, financials/receipts/digital financials/medical/work/games/coupons, etc and the Note 5 helps organization even more so I'm very excited. Super good buy!
I also bought the Fast Wireless Charger so I can't wait to use that. I got the phone 2 days ago and it's still at 40% and haven't charged it since the initial charge and that is super great.

tl;dr: extremely happy with the Note 5 in the 2 days I've had it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an android phone app that uses a blacklist of the FCC do not call list and other things? I'm getting sick of answering junk calls on my phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does anyone have a recommendation for an android phone app that uses a blacklist of the FCC do not call list and other things? I'm getting sick of answering junk calls on my phone.
You can make a contact. Add those numbers to it. Then block that contact.

Special C

I'm having to dump Windows Phone due to my jobs' IT group not supporting it. I loved the OS so much but the lack of app support was getting to me and my work not supporting it was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm looking at either the Note5, the edge plus or the vanilla S6. I can save 100$ by getting the vanilla S6. I can also get a S6 edge but the plus is the same price. I use my phone for work a lot. Any recommendations?

NeOak

I'm having to dump Windows Phone due to my jobs' IT group not supporting it. I loved the OS so much but the lack of app support was getting to me and my work not supporting it was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm looking at either the Note5, the edge plus or the vanilla S6. I can save 100$ by getting the vanilla S6. I can also get a S6 edge but the plus is the same price. I use my phone for work a lot. Any recommendations?
Note 5
or the Priv for the hardware keyboard lol

I jumped from my 1520 to the Priv.

Note 5. Better battery life and S Pen for those just in case moments.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Is there an estimate for Marshmellow to the Note 5? :)

First impressions of my new Note 5 (coming from S4). I'M LOVING IT!!!!

I watched the video someone linked me above about 100 features for Note 5 and I had to watch it twice to get a bunch of the features going. The gestures alone are awesome.
-Answering via voice
-wake up via hand wave
-calling via holding phone next to ear. Just that stuff makes me love it.
-It feels great in my hands, like the perfect weight. I just got the wallet flap cover and it kind of sucks because I don't have that excellent curved back that feels good to hold, but better to keep it safe.

Maybe I'll only have that on when I'm not at home. Speaking of.

-having safe locations so I can use just a swipe to unlock is AWESOME!
-That and fingerprint for security... so good. I have to set up websites now to login via that.

Next I need to watch the video of just S Note tips.

The past week I started organizing EVERYTHING in my house, financials/receipts/digital financials/medical/work/games/coupons, etc and the Note 5 helps organization even more so I'm very excited. Super good buy!
I also bought the Fast Wireless Charger so I can't wait to use that. I got the phone 2 days ago and it's still at 40% and haven't charged it since the initial charge and that is super great.

tl;dr: extremely happy with the Note 5 in the 2 days I've had it.

December according to rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom