• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

I just turned on my Moto 2104 and there's nothing. The Moto startup splash is completely white on the bottom. So yea.
The startup splash is full brightness so isn't noticible. Something like the elf flying game on Google's Santa tracker app seems to show it.

I think some eyes just can't see it though, I'm sure I've read that before. But its inevitable that it will happen, the blue subpixels wear out quicker than the others so areas that are usually 'off' like the nav and status bars don't wear out at the same rate as other parts of the screen.

Anyway, I've ranted about my dislike of amoled enough. Sorry for ranting!

DagsJT

Speaking of Touchwiz can anybody recommend the S6 over the 5X? I just realized with Target's stacking coupons today I might be able to grab an S6 due less than the cost of the 5X. Making me consider returning the 5X when it comes.

I've just sold my 5X for an S6 this weekend and I'm happy. The lag and reloading of pages on the 5X was so frustrating, the S6 is far better in that regard.

The 5X's fingerprint sensor is a LOT more reliable though.

The startup splash is full brightness so isn't noticible. Something like the elf flying game on Google's Santa tracker app seems to show it.

I think some eyes just can't see it though, I'm sure I've read that before. But its inevitable that it will happen, the blue subpixels wear out quicker than the others so areas that are usually 'off' like the nav and status bars don't wear out at the same rate as other parts of the screen.

Anyway, I've ranted about my dislike of amoled enough. Sorry for ranting!

If it takes so much to even realize or notice it even barely, it's a non-issue.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I reset my N6P entirely yesterday. Didn't even restore from a backup. Let's see if my battery is better. Google Play Services has been killing me.

Is it really that common and is there any way around trying to change the name of a folder on an Android device through Windows Explorer on W10 without the WE page crashing and requiring reattaching the device? I'm moving/changing files/folders for my music right now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is it really that common and is there any way around trying to change the name of a folder on an Android device through Windows Explorer on W10 without the WE page crashing and requiring reattaching the device? I'm moving/changing files/folders for my music right now.

You could always just use a file explorer on the device itself.

My BlackBerry Perv is fine. It fits nice in my hand and I have been trying both the leather cover and the hard case to how it handles.

It hasn't given me any problems, and since BlackBerry shipped an almost stock Android, it runs fine on the 808 it has.

Can't give you a SOT number, just that it definitely doesn't last as long as the Lumia 1520 I used before the Priv.

And yes, the 820 is back to custom Qualcomm cores which destroy the stock cores the 810 and 808 have.

I would personally never own a phone named the Perv

what is the difference between rooting and unlocking?

If I unlock my phone ( Lg g3 model 852) will i get updated direct from LG? or will i still have to rely on my service provider?

Does unlocking mean i can delete google apps?

If I unlock my phone ( Lg g3 model 852) will i get updated direct from LG? or will i still have to rely on my service provider?

Unlocking means you can use it on other carriers. That's it.

Rooting opens up your phone to a ton of tinkering. You can swap your phone to a different ROM, access other permissions you normally can't as well as accessing internal files you aren't normally supposed to.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The lag and reloading of pages on the 5X was so frustrating, the S6 is far better in that regard.

I had to read this post like three times just to make sure I wasn't reading it backwards. Page reloading on the 5x is worse than the touchwiz-throttled s6? That's incredible. And the 5x is laggier? How?

Noema

What do you mean by unlocking? In android it usually means unlocking the bootloader. The bootloader is a program that prepares the phone to load the kernel of an operating system and eventually the operating system itself. It "bootstraps" the operating system so it can be loaded, hence the name. In android, bootloaders are locked by default and thus can only load authorized default kernels.

Unlocking the bootloader is what enables the user to install a custom kernels and ROMs, like cyanogenmod.

Depending on your device, unlocking the bootloader can be as simple as typing a few commands or nigh impossible.

Unlocking the bootloader by itself will not do much beyond restoring the device to a factory state. It simply opens the door to root, for custom kernels and ROMs. If you want to get rid of the Google Apps, you could flash a custom ROM such as cyanogenmod which by default does not include any of the Google Apps. So yes, it is possible to run a version of Android that includes no Google Apps and runs no Google services. Keep in mind that means no Play store as well.

Be warned that doing so (installing a ROM such as cyanogenmod or paranoid android) will replace the current, stock ROM on your device. Many of the things your LG g3 can do (such as its look, dual screen apps, specific modifications, LG apps, etc) are not features of stock Android, but rather modifications added in by LG. For all intents and purposes you'll be using a different operating system on your phone.

Rooting is a process which gives you superuser or "root" privileges at the OS level to modify the operating system. Unlocking is a prerequisite for rooting.

Unlocking the bootloader will not carrier unlock the phone if the phone is carrier-locked.,

For more information start here

this_guy

I had to read this post like three times just to make sure I wasn't reading it backwards. Page reloading on the 5x is worse than the touchwiz-throttled s6? That's incredible. And the 5x is laggier? How?

I find Snapchat can be pretty laggy at times on my 5x. I think the 2gb of ram is a bottleneck.

DagsJT

I'm guessing it's down to the 5X having 2GB of Ram which caused the issues. But even then I'm not entirely sure it was a RAM issue as I'd need to reboot the 5X every few days because it was so slow, I never had to reboot my Z3 Compact.

Early days with the S6 though and I might find this lags too but early impressions are good. Yeah, Touchwiz isn't amazing but it's fine. Certainly a lot better than when I last used it years ago. I'll probably go back to Nova soon anyway.

tzare

Guys a question related to google rewards, already available in Spain.
The credit you ear, can you use it for physical buys, i mean, cases, chromecast, or even android wear o nexus devices?? Or is limited to app & media purchases ??

Thanks!

btw, any other apps to earn little cash when bored? For europe, not us only.

App stores are so overrated. Thanks to Google Rewards I have almost 11 Google bucks on my account but there's not a single thing I want to buy from the store. It's completely worthless toy money.

tzare

App stores are so overrated. Thanks to Google Rewards I have almost 11 Google bucks on my account but there's not a single thing I want to buy from the store. It's completely worthless toy money.

i'd buy plex which i use quite often and got free from amazon, so i can unistall amazon, and maybe unlock a few free apps from ads, i have very few apps installed though..., or give some games a try, i've been looking for a decent Advance Wars clone, but not found anything that convinces me, yet but if was free....

But i find more tempting to use it for devices, to lower the price of them. Not sure how many money you can earn from rewards though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep. I got what I need just fine. Also, I'm still stingy with the $75 I have in credit. I'm using it to pay for Google Music now.

Vanillalite

Use it for entertainment? You can pay for Google Music, buy a book, watch a movie, snag a game ect...

If you don't want any of those things then I'd think you were trolling.

Hasney

Use it for entertainment? You can pay for Google Music, buy a book, watch a movie, snag a game ect...

To be honest, I've not bought a game or app since XCom and never bought any other form of entertainment off the Play Store.. My streaming services are enough.

What do I do about Chrome battery usage?

Everything else is lovely.

Try removing location permission for it. Worked a treat for me.

Vanillalite

To be honest, I've not bought a game or app since XCom and never bought any other form of entertainment off the Play Store.. My streaming services are enough.

Try removing location permission for it. Worked a treat for me.

Lara Croft Go... If you got cred to spend boom done.

My Nexus 5 is the only Google device I own, so I'd never do any of the things you listed on it. Only Google Music would be realistic, but I'm a happy Spotify subscriber, so there's no need for that either.

thenexus6

Swiftkey has gone to absolute shit for me recently, its annoying because I want to change but all my two years + of word predictions are with swiftkey

kami_sama

So I need to re-scan my fingerprints every two weeks or so on my OPT. Does anyone have this problem? (doesn't need to be the same phone)

Toki767

Glad to finally be able to add my Chase cards to test out Samsung Pay.

I've found a ton of stores actually disable NFC so Android Pay doesn't work as much as I'd like it to.

I feel like ever since I put my phone on top of my Fast Wireless Charger, the battery life isn't as good haha. Not to mention the 2nd time I put it on, it wasn't on all the way I guess and the blue light was blinking, which I'm guessing means it's not on all the way.

daoster

Chase? I believe so. Android Pay is only really lagging when it comes to Chase. They definitely have more banks that they support I believe.

Chase is the largest bank, so they need to support that. And I have a Capital One Card that last I checked, they haven't supported yet (Sooooooon).

My main bank is also Charles Schwab, which they haven't supported Android Pay yet (but support Apple Pay, so...).

Come on Google!

Chase is the largest bank, so they need to support that. And I have a Capital One Card that last I checked, they haven't supported yet (Sooooooon).

My main bank is also Charles Schwab, which they haven't supported Android Pay yet (but support Apple Pay, so...).

Come on Google!

Eh only cause they're backed by JP Morgan. Chase by itself ain't shit.

My Ally bank card which is my main bank ain't got support for shit. QQ

Chase support is coming to Android Pay next year. Chase is trying to push it's Chase Pay thing. I'm guessing Samsung already had things worked out with them.

----

Got the new Play Store, carousel and all. Really liking it.

Black Friday deal roundups for phones?

• T-Mobile offering 100 bucks off select phones
  • Axon Pro 32GB ($330) 64GB (350)
  • Htc One M9 40% off

Waiting for Motorola deals.

Bboy AJ

Swiftkey has gone to absolute shit for me recently, its annoying because I want to change but all my two years + of word predictions are with swiftkey
Just abandon it. You'll be over it in two weeks.

Reckoner

Just don't use Swiftkey in Android. Google Keyboard is the way to go.

Can't say the same thing on iOS, though.

Btw, Bboy, how is your 6P going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom