• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdlow

The latest update made SwiftKey a lot smoother for me. Which is great since it's the only keyboard that supports three simultaneous languages. If Google Keyboard did that, I'd jump the ship instantly.

Reckoner

Is swift key better on iOS?

I only use Swiftkey on this. Better autocorrect and multilanguage support alone makes me not want to use Apple's keyboard again.

I thought all third party keyboards on iOS are worse than their Android counterparts due to some restriction Apple has?

It's still a little buggy, but I can handle it. It's the same on Android, though, from my past experience.

It's absolutely amazing how much worse my typing is on android than ios. On my iphone I typed like a beast and rarely got a stupid autocorrect typo. On android I'm CONSTANTLY fixing shit on google keyboard and swift key. It's ridiculous. Someone told me with android you have to learn to type using only the predictive words to pump out the words you want but fuck man that's hard to get used to and still slower.

It's both the auto correct apple has but also the finger detection, it knows which key you were going for most of the time.

Reckoner

It's absolutely amazing how much worse my typing is on android than ios. On my iphone I typed like a beast and rarely got a stupid autocorrect typo. On android I'm CONSTANTLY fixing shit on google keyboard and swift key. It's ridiculous. Someone told me with android you have to learn to type using only the predictive words to pump out the words you want but fuck man that's hard to get used to and still slower.

It's both the auto correct apple has but also the finger detection, it knows which key you were going for most of the time.

Only thing that bothers me is the amount of times I click on . instead of space.

i dunno, for me, the finger detection seems to be way off on iOS and perfect on Android.

My 5X arrived today and I figured I would keep it since the S6 coupons weren't working and B&H seems to charge a restocking fee. Having great first impressions with it, but I'll need to use it for a few days to see how much I like it over my old phone.

On another note I can't help but think Apple's pulled a Google/Microsoft. The Apple Music app on Android is so much nicer and easier to use than the iOS version.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just don't use Swiftkey in Android. Google Keyboard is the way to go.

Can't say the same thing on iOS, though.

Btw, Bboy, how is your 6P going?
It's a great upgrade from the N6. But the battery life is not as awesome. I think it's because Play Services is screwing me. It's the highest one every day and I don't know why.

Also, Fleksy is the best keyboard. The Google Keyboard takes up half the screen. It's insane. How do people use it

Reckoner

It's a great upgrade from the N6. But the battery life is not as awesome. I think it's because Play Services is screwing me. It's the highest one every day and I don't know why.

Also, Fleksy is the best keyboard. The Google Keyboard takes up half the screen. It's insane. How do people use it

I'm trying it right now. Is there a way to use multiple languages at the same time like Swiftkey though?

zewone

I just downloaded it to try it out. It takes up more space than Google.

Am I missing something?

KCBQl0p.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just downloaded it to try it out. It takes up more space than Google.

Am I missing something?

http://i.imgur.com/KCBQl0p.png[/IM][/QUOTE]
Yeah, change the keyboard settings. I use tiny. And disable that gif extension.

[quote="Reckoner, post: 186542561"]I'm trying it right now. Is there a way to use multiple languages at the same time like Swiftkey though?[/QUOTE]
You can swipe the space bar to switch keyboard languages.

Pyrokai

Any place I can go for app suggestions? Just general ones for many different categories? I always see different apps mentioned everywhere and typically don't even know what they are, ha. Guess this is what happens when I leave the Android world for two years and then return :p

Noema

Swiftkey rocks, you heathens. Even if Google Keyboard supported multiple languages simultaneously, I'd still use Swiftkey for the sheer customization options it offers.

With Swiftkey I can literally type just gibberish without looking at the screen and it turns it into a human language automagically. And the new Material Design themes are nice and elegant. Can't wait for the Neural Net algorithms to be available in Spanish and German.

Reckoner

Swiftkey rocks, you heathens. Even if Google Keyboard supported multiple languages simultaneously, I'd still use Swiftkey for the sheer customization options it offers.

With Swiftkey I can literally type just gibberish without looking at the screen and it turns it into a human language automagically. And the new Material Design themes are nice and elegant. Can't wait for the Neural Net algorithms to be available in Spanish and German.

I just got back to SwiftKey because of this. Fleksy looks nice, but still has something to learn from SwiftKey.

linkboy

I'm using the blackberry keyboard and I love it. The best keyboard I've used on android.

Really wish they would release it on the play store instead of having to install a patched version from xda.

Condom

Flesky was annoying (I mistyped the whole time), nice gif and gesture features though.
SwiftKey had some buggy stuff which caused duplicate words.

I am back to using the Sony stock keyboard and it works great.

Swiftkey has the best prediction, but I can't use it for extended periods of time because typing with the Google Keyboard feels so much better. It's faster and smoother, and the swyping is a lot better than Swiftkey's version of it.

NeOak

I'm using the blackberry keyboard and I love it. The best keyboard I've used on android.

Really wish they would release it on the play store instead of having to install a patched version from xda.
But I see it on the play store :eek:

Posted from my BlackBerry Perv

Bboy AJ

any updates if it fixed your battery problem?
It didn't. I turned off WiFi scanning today and it's a little better but not noticeably better. Doze just isn't working for me on my N6P like it worked on my N6. I have no clue why.

These people talking about 5+ hour SOT while on LTE all day are lucky. It's not my experience. But I blame that on Services. It's always the highest battery drain for me and what kills me is that I can't address it. It's such an unknown thing. I could root and diagnose but c'mon.

Bloodember

I use to use the Go Keyboard with an Iphone Keyboard skin. It was the only keyboard I could type on without making a lot of typos. Then I got my Note 5 and I love the Samsung keyboard, I type with it better than any onscreen keyboard to date.

Me liking loving my Note 5 is strange, I don't like Samsung at all due to their business practices, but I took a chance because I loved the design of the Note 5. Glad I did, it's the best phone I have ever owned. I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

That iPad Pro commercial airs so damn much that I ended up buying Sound & Color. Thankfully, it's an amazing song. Been listening to it on repeat for a good minute now. May have to get the whole album at some point. Thank you Google Rewards and Chromecast.

linkboy

obvious /s?

What do you like about it though? I use it because it integrates with the hardware keyboard

I'm using it on a Nexus 6, I don't have a Priv.

I like it because the text prediction is fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of swype typing, as well. I prefer touch typing and it's hard to find a keyboard (until now) that was designed with that in mind.

Since I installed it, I'm typing faster on my phone without the mistakes I was getting with Swiftkey, Swype and the Google keyboard. I love the swipe up to input a word.

I've been wanting to try the BB keyboard since it showed up on their OS.

Like I said, I'd love for them to release it for all Android phones.

I'm baffled as to how the auto-correct works on the Perv keyboard. Like, it shows a bunch of words around the keyboard but how do you select the one you want?

Also, I can't get used to not having Swype anymore. I probably have to go back to the Google Keyboard for now until the Perv keyboard gets Swype support.

Bboy AJ

I used to think I couldn't swipe type anymore. But then I found Fleksy.

tzare

New RedMi Note 3 seems to be an awesome device: metal, Fingerprint scanner, 5,5inches, 4000mAh octacore HelioX10.... below $200 Too bad it doesn have 800Mhz band :(

linkboy

I'm baffled as to how the auto-correct works on the Perv keyboard. Like, it shows a bunch of words around the keyboard but how do you select the one you want?

Also, I can't get used to not having Swype anymore. I probably have to go back to the Google Keyboard for now until the Perv keyboard gets Swype support.

You swype up on the word.

This is from the BlackBerry 10 version, but functionality wise, it's the same.

Here the xda thread if anyone wants to try it out.

As for swype, it's not going to get it anytime soon. It would break the gestures they have (swipe up to add text predictions, down to access punctuation and numbers and swipe left to erase a word).

New RedMi Note 3 seems to be an awesome device: metal, Fingerprint scanner, 5,5inches, 4000mAh octacore HelioX10.... below $200 Too bad it doesn have 800Mhz band :(

Poor support though. Literally no alternative ROMs. MIUI or bust.

Specs are amazing for the price though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom