• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

Poor support though. Literally no alternative ROMs. MIUI or bust.

Specs are amazing for the price though.

are MIUI roms bad? As long as i can install GN Launcher and disable apps i am fine. I am considering it for my mother since it is big, cheap and has fingerprint scanner.

Hopefully this device, and Huawei midrangers too, puts some pressure on other oems to include FPS in most mid range devices.

are MIUI roms bad? As long as i can install GN Launcher and disable apps i am fine. I am considering it for my mother since it is big, cheap and has fingerprint scanner.

Hopefully this device, and Huawei midrangers too, puts some pressure on other oems to include FPS in most mid range devices.

Wouldn't call it bad, feels like a ios-wannabe in some places and uses a bit more ram just that it has no alternative rom.

Doesn't come with google play as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Priv produces amazing software stats, like how many times an app pinged for your location. Why can't we find this info on stock Android? Is there an app that can get this data?

NeOak

The Priv produces amazing software stats, like how many times an app pinged for your location. Why can't we find this info on stock Android? Is there an app that can get this data?
Most people don't care about when the NSAsomeone's app reads your whole phone for your personal information.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I've tried repeatedly, and I can't. The Google Keyboard takes up too much space on the screen, and the prediction doesn't work the same way.

That's why I always go back too. Google keyboard is good, but the learning is not as good or fast as Swiftkey to me.

Goldrush

i dunno, for me, the finger detection seems to be way off on iOS and perfect on Android.

Could just be generational differences, but I had to adjust how I type whenever I switch between the two. A bit hard to explain, but I think Android give more weight to the tip while iOS favors the base of the thumb.

NotBacon

The lag and reloading of pages on the 5X was so frustrating...

Can anybody echo this? I still haven't got my hands on one, and I don't want to recommend it to friends/family if the SD808 and 2gb of RAM are really that bad of a combo.

It's absolutely amazing how much worse my typing is on android than ios. On my iphone I typed like a beast and rarely got a stupid autocorrect typo. On android I'm CONSTANTLY fixing shit on google keyboard and swift key. It's ridiculous. Someone told me with android you have to learn to type using only the predictive words to pump out the words you want but fuck man that's hard to get used to and still slower.

It's both the auto correct apple has but also the finger detection, it knows which key you were going for most of the time.

My experience is the exact opposite. Typing on iOS keyboard feels like garbage compared to Google Keyboard. And the autocorrect is way worse.
Also going from my N6 to my iPhone 6 feels like:
derek-zoolander-mini-phone.jpg

this_guy

Can anybody echo this? I still haven't got my hands on one, and I don't want to recommend it to friends/family if the SD808 and 2gb of RAM are really that bad of a combo.

Snapchat often becomes laggy for me, but otherwise performance is fine. Overall my 2014 Moto X did seem faster. Swiping through home screens feels like there's a heaviness feeling to it on the 5x. Maybe it's the forced encryption. It's still fine performance wise though and I do prefer the 5x mainly due to the huge upgrade in camera and slightly better battery life.

Got my Note5 today. First android phone since the original Droid. What are the essentials?
Depending on where you bought it from and if you have a Samsung Pay card make sure to register for the Samsung Holiday Gifts promotion for the free accessories bundle and there's also one for an $100 coupon off anything from Samsung's website (Like a free VR headset).
http://promo.samsungpromotions.com/giftsoftheseason/
http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/23/samsung-pay-chase-free/

NotBacon

It didn't. I turned off WiFi scanning today and it's a little better but not noticeably better. Doze just isn't working for me on my N6P like it worked on my N6. I have no clue why.

These people talking about 5+ hour SOT while on LTE all day are lucky. It's not my experience. But I blame that on Services. It's always the highest battery drain for me and what kills me is that I can't address it. It's such an unknown thing. I could root and diagnose but c'mon.

Have you investigated the Google Fit app? Maybe disable it or deny some permissions?

Also, if you want some detailed battery analysis check out Battery Historian 2.0. It's a little intensive requiring setting up a Go environment and some manual steps, being a developer tool, but it provides good data.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Have you investigated the Google Fit app? Maybe disable it or deny some permissions?

Also, if you want some detailed battery analysis check out Battery Historian 2.0. It's a little intensive requiring setting up a Go environment and some manual steps, being a developer tool, but it provides good data.
Thanks. I am considering Fit being an issue, yeah. I keep it on but jeez, if it's killing my battery, it isn't worth it. If I look at battery stats, Fit uses 0%. But that doesn't mean Services isn't realizing the drain for Fit instead.

Zoe

Does anybody have problems with their phone not doing any polling for notifications while idling? I think it has something to do with the ICS battery optimization, but I don't want to just shut that off on every app I use.

NotBacon

Does anybody have problems with their phone not doing any polling for notifications while idling? I think it has something to do with the ICS battery optimization, but I don't want to just shut that off on every app I use.

It differs on an app by app basis, but many use Google Cloud Messaging which I'm pretty sure doesn't use polling. And i'm not aware of any battery optimization from the ICS era affecting network connections?

Be more specific?

Snapchat often becomes laggy for me, but otherwise performance is fine. Overall my 2014 Moto X did seem faster. Swiping through home screens feels like there's a heaviness feeling to it on the 5x. Maybe it's the forced encryption. It's still fine performance wise though and I do prefer the 5x mainly due to the huge upgrade in camera and slightly better battery life.

Snapchat has always been a rollercoaster of performance on Android though, so this is good news to me.

Zoe

It differs on an app by app basis, but many use Google Cloud Messaging which I'm pretty sure doesn't use polling. And i'm not aware of any battery optimization from the ICS era affecting network connections?

Be more specific?

Well this didn't start until ICS which is why I suspected it had to do something with optimization.

Basically when I'm out all day using cell data, I get notifications like normal, but once I get home and on wifi, I won't get anymore notifications until I unlock my phone.

NeOak

Well this didn't start until ICS which is why I suspected it had to do something with optimization.

Basically when I'm out all day using cell data, I get notifications like normal, but once I get home and on wifi, I won't get anymore notifications until I unlock my phone.
Is your WI fi turning off when the screen is off? Should still pull the notifications over cell data anyway

cocopuffs

Banned
Own a Nexus 6P but I don't really feel I'm using this phone to its full potential. Just do the usual, web browsing, Twitter, messaging, Youtube...

Any cool apps or games I can download?

Hasney

Random question

How many of you have your devices encrypted? Especially Nexus 6 users. And how do you feel about it?

I decrypted my 6. Thought I might as well for the performance increase since Google will decrypt it for some people anyway, so there's not much point.

Zoe

Whoops, just realized I meant Marshmallow instead of ICS.

Hasney

Whoops, just realized I meant Marshmallow instead of ICS.

Are you just leaving your phone on a table of something? If there's no movement or use of the phone, it'll doze and you'll just get notifications when it does its irregular check.

Man, I feel like Doze isn't nearly as good as what I expected. I took my phone off the charger at 10:30 today, I've barely used it and just checked the battery and it's at 79%.

Kevyt

What's a good browser that doesn't chew through battery like Chrome does?

I like Chrome but it loves to chew through battery.

Do any of you use a browser that you can recommend outside of Chrome?

Zoe

Are you just leaving your phone on a table of something? If there's no movement or use of the phone, it'll doze and you'll just get notifications when it does its irregular check.
Is that what it is? I do just leave it lying down because I only use my phone at home when I get a notification.

I've missed work emails and Waze notifications because of it. Can it be turned of?

What's a good browser that doesn't chew through battery like Chrome does?

I like Chrome but it loves to chew through battery.

Do any of you use a browser that you can recommend outside of Chrome?

I'm using Firefox, but it's not that good. It constantly shuts off tabs on me and is a bit slower than Chrome. I want to go back to Opera, but the adblocking is something I need so I deal with it.

Jzero

Man, you can't buy a modern tv without a review saying how shitty Android TV is. I really hope they're exaggerating and i didn't just spend $1+K on a shitty TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom