• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple just patented embedding fingerprint sensor beneath an OLED display. According to reports they're switching to OLED in 2018 for the iphone 8 it seems. My main point is, looks like Android will have it starting 2018!

woowooo :p

Also samsung gonna make BANK when the iphone 8 comes out with that OLED money. Hope they put it to good use.

XBP

What's a good browser that doesn't chew through battery like Chrome does?

I like Chrome but it loves to chew through battery.

Do any of you use a browser that you can recommend outside of Chrome?
Try uc browser. It has worked the best for me in terms of battery life and speed.

Apple just patented embedding fingerprint sensor beneath an OLED display. According to reports they're switching to OLED in 2018 for the iphone 8 it seems. My main point is, looks like Android will have it starting 2018!

Also samsung gonna make BANK when the iphone 8 comes out with that OLED money. Hope they put it to good use.

Maybe Samsung's stock will go up again like it briefly did earlier this year.

It's funny that Samsung stock only goes up these days when Apple does well because Samsung remains their key supplier.

Samsung and Apple are like the US and China, joined at the hip while glaring at each other. Economic hatesex is such an interesting by-product of the globalized world.

Corsick

I'm thinking of getting a new phone as I have a HTC M7 right now. I'm trying to decide between the Note 5 and the 6p, my biggest worry about the 6p is not being able to hold it and see it in person. I really like the note 5 and have tested it out, but the 64gig model is incredibly expensive and I have concerns about touchwiz. I was wondering how much larger/heavier the 6p felt compared to the Note 5 and what the performance was like. Thank you in advance.

NotBacon

Random question

How many of you have your devices encrypted? Especially Nexus 6 users. And how do you feel about it?

Mine's encrypted and I think it's fine. When I first got it I messed around with it a little and disabled the encryption, but eventually wiped everything and went back to stock. Honestly I couldn't really tell the difference.

Privacy-wise it's nice I guess.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone as I have a HTC M7 right now. I'm trying to decide between the Note 5 and the 6p, my biggest worry about the 6p is not being able to hold it and see it in person. I really like the note 5 and have tested it out, but the 64gig model is incredibly expensive and I have concerns about touchwiz. I was wondering how much larger/heavier the 6p felt compared to the Note 5 and what the performance was like. Thank you in advance.

I would say Note 5 if you are either getting a contract or financing on a carrier. If you need to buy full price up front the 6P is the better choice.

I've been preaching it forever, but this is what these shitty fingerprint readers should've been in the first place. It doesn't necessarily need to be beneath the display, but on the glass or digitizer is good enough. Anything else, like reader on the back of the phone (LOL, amirite?) is bullshit.

But I suppose you feel the same about wireless charging and where it is right now vs. where it might be 5 years from now. :p

Massa

Haven't seen the patent but it might be just for the watch, I don't think Apple will switch the iPhone to OLED.

Haven't seen the patent but it might be just for the watch, I don't think Apple will switch the iPhone to OLED.
lol that's what apple does

Also just a little bit ago Jony was calling out LCDs in favour of OLEDs. And he gets his way. Also apparently apple is working with the makers of OLED tech to figure out how to resolve the flaws in them before they decide to use them.

I've been preaching it forever, but this is what these shitty fingerprint readers should've been in the first place. It doesn't necessarily need to be beneath the display, but on the glass or digitizer is good enough. Anything else, like reader on the back of the phone (LOL, amirite?) is bullshit.

But I suppose you feel the same about wireless charging and where it is right now vs. where it might be 5 years from now. :p
yes I do :p Truly wireless or bust. Soon...

Qualcomm has a similar tech, it'll come to Android probably sooner.

this_guy

The 6p is basically the same footprint as the iPhone 6+ or 6s+

Broman1978

So I just bought my first Android Phone for a long time,Motorola Moto G3... Awesome phone so far... But WHY cant I still install ex Groove Music on my SD-Card STILL!?? Last Time I had an Android I couldnt install the App on an SD-card :(. Is it the same with Spotify?

Playing with a vintage iPhone 1g, this was something special.

mxeMTEZ.jpg

oq28Qmx.jpg

Ty4on

Playing with a vintage iPhone 1g, this was something special.
I still use my first gen iPod Touch. Kinda amazing the leap that happened when you look back. Shitty QVGA and even shittier OS' suddenly looked ten years old.
Hated that thing so much. Was glad to be able to return it and stick with my Nokia N95. 3G speeds baby.
It's funny how despite way better specs the N95 now looks like a dinosaur. It also lacked the uniqueness of the N90 and N93. The iPhone only beat it in screen res and possibly GPU perf.
both_in_hand.jpg

Hasney

It's funny how despite way better specs the N95 now looks like a dinosaur. It also lacked the uniqueness of the N90 and N93. The iPhone only beat it in screen res and possibly GPU perf.
both_in_hand.jpg

I had an N91 before that, loved that look.

ph_pic.php

Probably would have stuck with Nokia instead of the iPhone 3G if the N96 didn't suck. Would have even have switched back if the N900 was available on contract.

Ty4on

I had an N91 before that, loved that look.

ph_pic.php

Probably would have stuck with Nokia instead of the iPhone 3G if the N96 didn't suck. Would have even have switched back if the N900 was available on contract.

The N91 looked cool. The N95 was just too cheap looking for their highest end phone.

I never had the dread of using their resistive touchscreen phones, but I remember a classmate struggling with the N97.

Edit: Speaking of old tech and OLED:
benqsiemens-s88-00.jpg

The very first phone with an OLED

So I found one big issue with the case that comes from Google for the Nexus 6P, it sucks ass at allowing you to try to take screenshots. It's almost impossible.

Noema

So I just bought my first Android Phone for a long time,Motorola Moto G3... Awesome phone so far... But WHY cant I still install ex Groove Music on my SD-Card STILL!?? Last Time I had an Android I couldnt install the App on an SD-card :(. Is it the same with Spotify?

Google changed android a few years ago so, by default, you can only store data on the SD card but apps can't be installed on it. So you can store your music on the card but not the app itself. This was probably done for performance since SD-Cards are usually slower and also because removing the card might break a lot of stuff if apps are installed on it.

In android 6.0, Marshmallow, it's possible to format and mount SD cards so android will treat them as internal storage, so you can install app on the card. The update will probably be coming very soon to your Moto G so it's just a matter of time.

Reckoner

Is the phone strong enough on its own to not need one? Also, yes I do have Nexus Protect.

I would argue that no phone is hard enough for that. Even if you drop the phone in a case, there's always a chance that the screen will shatter, unless you use one of those Beetle hard cases that look ridiculous and completely ruin the phone aesthetics and feel.

These days I feel like going naked is the way to go. We pay so much for a premium phone and then putting it in a rubber/plastic case is so disappointing. Just be careful with it. I used to have my iPhone 5 naked and just put it inside a sleeve while running and being active and when I sold it it was like new. Curiously, I'm now using my 6s with a case, but it's only because it's slippery, ugly and has a rounded design that I'm not a fan of.

Noema

I would argue that no phone is hard enough for that. Even if you drop the phone in a case, there's always a chance that the screen will shatter, unless you use one of those Beetle hard cases that look ridiculous and completely ruin the phone aesthetics and feel.

These days I feel like going naked is the way to go. We pay so much for a premium phone and then putting it in a rubber/plastic case is so disappointing. Just be careful with it. I used to have my iPhone 5 naked and just put it inside a sleeve while running and being active and when I sold it it was like new.

My thoughts exactly. So much industrial design goes into these phones. Putting them inside an ugly rubber case is like buying expensive furniture and keeping it covered in plastic.

What version of Android does turkey run on??

Happy Thanksgiving guys! I bought the $10 Moto E at Best Buy because for $10 why the hell not. Good luck with your shopping :D

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Back of the phone is more convenient for me than the display itself. It's just so natural feeling. I can unlock the phone while picking it up. A panel reader would be less elegant, I think. I generally don't touch my screen when grabbing it from rest.

Furyous

I vote for the fingerprint sensor on the side power button. This way it's possible to unlock the device without actually looking at it as you take it out of your pocket.

FFOS.jpg

^^ What's the name of this smartphone because I want to try it.

Unless I'm stupid and somehow missed it, I do kind of wish that the 6P had a double tap feature to wake up the phone. Dunno, just think it would be nice.

Broman1978

Google changed android a few years ago so, by default, you can only store data on the SD card but apps can't be installed on it. So you can store your music on the card but not the app itself. This was probably done for performance since SD-Cards are usually slower and also because removing the card might break a lot of stuff if apps are installed on it.

In android 6.0, Marshmallow, it's possible to format and mount SD cards so android will treat them as internal storage, so you can install app on the card. The update will probably be coming very soon to your Moto G so it's just a matter of time.
Ok thanks for the answer =)
Hopefully Marsmallow will come SOON =)

Ugh I bought one thinking there was no way the price was going down, at least not by that much. :| Wonder if B&H will refund the difference if I try calling tomorrow.

Noema

Probably going to sellout in a split second, but Amazon's going to have the Nexus 6 for $200 at 3:00am.

To think that, at one point, that phone was $650.

It's a flawed device , but it's pretty easy to overlook its shortcomings for when one can get that for less than $300. I'm very happy with mine, shit display notwithstanding.

Noema

Thinking of getting that Nexus 6 for $199. Is there a kernel out there that fixes the display so it isn't yellow?

I think most custom kernels like Franco's, Hells or leankernel let you adjust RGB to "cool it off" so it doesn't look so warm and yellow, though honestly I haven't tried them yet. I was thinking of flashing Franco's kernel this weekend but the app doesn't support Marshmallow yet.

I think most custom kernels like Franco's, Hells or leankernel let you adjust RGB to "cool it off" so it doesn't look so warm and yellow, though honestly I haven't tried them yet. I was thinking of flashing Franco's kernel this weekend but the app doesn't support Marshmallow yet.

Ah I just want a flash and let it do it's thang kernel. Ain't nobody got time for changing rgb settings in an app.

Probably going to sellout in a split second, but Amazon's going to have the Nexus 6 for $200 at 3:00am.

My 2012 Nexus 7 is getting extremely long in the tooth, so I've been thinking about replacing it with either an Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 (for the power, screen size, and low price) or replacing both it and my phone a 64/4 Zenfone 2 (for portability, big internal storage, and an acceptable level of performance). This Nexus 6 deal seems like the best of both worlds, and may be an instant buy for me if they include the 64GB version in the deal at the same $50-$60 gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom