• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacir

Has there been any rumors/news about the next Nexus Player? I was watching a Fire TV review and then I remembered that there was a Nexus equivalent. Only downside so far is it only has 1GB of ram compared to Fire TV's 2GB. I do not plan or perfer to make it my primary gaming device. I recieved a $100 gift and I decided to delay my future ps4 for my dedicated gaming needs at a later time. Anyway, please post any new developments here.

I doubt we'll see a new Nexus Player until the end of next year. Google hasn't said anything about it and I don't think the last one sold particularly well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The phone has lots of issues but it's still the best Android phone ever.

RJM77

I doubt we'll see a new Nexus Player until the end of next year. Google hasn't said anything about it and I don't think the last one sold particularly well.

I've struggled to find the benefit of a Nexus Player over the Chromecast. It was even worse than the Chromecast for the longest time, as some apps (VUDU) wouldn't cast to Player but could cast to Chromecasts.

Articalys

Thought I had decided on the X Pure and was waiting for this weekend to see if would get a small sale, but Moto only did stuff for their older phones, and instead the 5X was the one that got cheaper, so now I'm wavering. At $100 difference instead of $20, having to deal with USB-C and not having the SD card space seem like less of drawbacks to make up the power/screen difference... seems like everyone got caught off-guard by this sale though.

Well gonna return or sell this Nexus 6. After being initially impressed by it, upon more usage, the screen looks cheap and grainy. It seems to be stained in random spots by tiny yellowish blotches underneath when I look closely on white backgrounds similar to the yellow bar on the early OnePlus One's. Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over my OPO.

Loxley

Wow, color me surprised that my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) actually got the upgrade to Lollipop, though it's very likely the last major firmware update Samsung will release for it. Man I wish they would announce a new iteration of the Note 10.1, I've really enjoyed mine over the last two years.

Noema

Well gonna return or sell this Nexus 6. After being initially impressed by it, upon more usage, the screen looks cheap and grainy. It seems to be stained in random spots by tiny yellowish blotches underneath when I look closely on white backgrounds similar to the yellow bar on the early OnePlus One's. Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over my OPO.

The screen on the Nexus 6 is truly mediocre. Adjusting RGB and PPI can improve it but it can't do miracles. It's basically a Galaxy S4 era display. And super dim at 270 nits. When I pick up my GF's galaxy S6 I'm stunned by how nice that display is. I'm like "so that's what white is supposed to look like" .

It's a shame as it's a very solid phone otherwise specially at a bargain price. I personally can't complain since I'm coming from a 2013 Moto G. Loving the 3GB of ram; having so much RAM is a blessing after 2 years stuck in android purgatory with just one GB.

The screen on the Nexus 6 is truly mediocre. Adjusting RGB and PPI can improve it but it can't do miracles. It's basically a Galaxy S4 era display. And super dim at 270 nits. When I pick up my GF's galaxy S6 I'm stunned by how nice that display is. I'm like "so that's what white is supposed to look like" .

It's a shame as it's a very solid phone otherwise specially at a bargain price. I personally can't complain since I'm coming from a 2013 Moto G. Loving the 3GB of ram; having so much RAM is a blessing after 2 years stuck in android purgatory with just one GB.

Yeah it's not bad for $199 and especially if you don't have a better screen to compare them next to each other.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's still the best phone for the price.

21% of mobile Black Friday purchases made on Android. Platform for poors confirmed.
That sounds like a pretty low number I can't imagine WP or iOS took up the rest of that 79% unless those numbers also reflect accessory purchases and the like.

Nice to see you un-banned. I missed your "Android is for poor people" shitposting.

Noema

FjbOtDY.jpg

I'm consistently getting close to 5 hours SoT on my N6. Not bad! And better than what I expected.

Furyous

270 nits???? The Z5 Compact hits 703 according to one reviewer. I dodged a bullet not buying the N6.

danthefan

I'm due for an upgrade from my network next month, what are considered the best phones out there currently? Currently have an XperiaZ1.

thenexus6

Heads up UK people

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offers/

Some offers here. I got £20 play credit for movies (can be used on anything though) and a free movie rental. I ordered my Chromecast 2 maybe a week after it launched and deal worked for me.

There are others like 90 day google play music, 90 day spotify, some now TV stuff on there too.

Reckoner

270 nits???? The Z5 Compact hits 703 according to one reviewer. I dodged a bullet not buying the N6.

It's dim, but I never really had a problem using my Nexus 6 outside. It could be better, yes, but it's decent.

Honestly, I'm kinda missing the colors, contrast and dpi of the Nexus 6 display lmao. And I was one of the advocates for 720p+battery life.

Shiggy

Does anyone own a one plus X, I just adore the look of it and for the price it seems fantastic value.

I do. It's a beautiful piece, decently fast (not playing games), and the camera is also good enough for my needs.

The phone lags while typing since the last update though, so hope that will be fixed soon.

Moreche

I do. It's a beautiful piece, decently fast (not playing games), and the camera is also good enough for my needs.

The phone lags while typing since the last update though, so hope that will be fixed soon.
Thanks, I just can't believe how good it looks for the price.
I'm hoping it receives marshmallow soon though.
One plus really hit it out of the park with its design.

Thanks, I just can't believe how good it looks for the price.
I'm hoping it receives marshmallow soon though.
One plus really hit it out of the park with its design.

Apparently it's getting MM in the 1st quarter of 2016.

I've had mine about 2 weeks and I love it. Feels really fast and responsive, camera is decent, the build quality is fantastic and the screen is lovely. Only slight negative is the battery, it's not incredible but it always gets me through the day and should improve a bit with Marshmallow.

Reckoner

Can someone elucidate me on why I am not getting any notifications with Hangouts on iPhone whenever someone messages me? I've got everything enabled, notifications, etc. Don't know what's wrong with this.

JamzyT

Neo Member
I really want an Xperia Z5. Do you guys think it'll actually be announced for the US anytime soon, or should I just get it on Expansys?

Your best getting it off Expansys or Importing from UK via Clove/Handtec.

In the US Z3+ has only just become available officially it seems.
It was listed as coming soon on the Sony website up until recently now it gives a link to buy LOL.
Z3+ is the US james bond phone.

Bboy AJ

Just wanted to ask again, since the sale ends tomorrow:

Does the 5X actually have performance issues in the long run, or is it an isolated problem just for some users?
It's fine.

Just wanted to ask again, since the sale ends tomorrow:

Does the 5X actually have performance issues in the long run, or is it an isolated problem just for some users?
I never had issues with mine. I think some people reporting issues might have been caused by Snapchat, but that app is junk.

Articalys

Alright, thanks. Just a couple more questions:
- I was a bit worried about not being able to just grab any standard micro-to-USB-A cable to use to the charge the phone, but as a non-power user, it sounds like the battery life is enough that I shouldn't need to worry about recharging on the go?
- I'd previously been considering the X Pure, and Moto has a special app designed to let you move almost all your non-app data (photos, texts, even call logs) from an old phone to the new one; is there anything similar for the 5X?
- Which 5X color is the least susceptible to fingerprint smudges?

mturco

I never had issues with mine. I think some people reporting issues might have been caused by Snapchat, but that app is junk.
That is actually very possible. Snapchat is absolutely terrible on it.

Alright, thanks. Just a couple more questions:
- I was a bit worried about not being able to just grab any standard micro-to-USB-A cable to use to the charge the phone, but as a non-power user, it sounds like the battery life is enough that I shouldn't need to worry about recharging on the go?
In my opinion, absolutely. I actually made a conscious effort not to top it off midday recently (for about two weeks) just to see if it would last all day every single day and it has. It's never even really come close to dying on me.

- I'd previously been considering the X Pure, and Moto has a special app designed to let you move almost all your non-app data (photos, texts, even call logs) from an old phone to the new one; is there anything similar for the 5X?
Nope. Not from Google anyway.

- Which 5X color is the least susceptible to fingerprint smudges?
Probably white. I have white and you can't see fingerprints whatsoever on the back. Ice is probably fine too. Black will obviously be super noticeable.

Kevyt

My Nexus 6p cracks and creaks when I'm handling it, and I've never dropped it. So I have decided to return it.

It doesn't feel premium to me... It does look premium but it feels like cheap thin plastic that's about to break. Performance has been amazing but I shouldn't have to worry about holding my phone gently enough so that it doesn't sound like it's going to break...

So that's three phones in the past two months that have failed me in some way:

- Asus Zenfone 2: lower part of the screen stopped working after a month.

- Moto X Pure: would get incredibly hot after a few minutes and throttle when browsing.

- Nexus 6p: cracks and creaks, feels like it's going to break.

I'm starting to think that I don't have good luck with phones...

Also, my Moto E feels like it has much better build quality than this three phones. I don't know what phone I should get now. I:

I'm still on the fence whether I should save my money and hold onto the Moto E until whatever decent comes out next year.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Question:

I lost a phone (s6) a few months ago. Well i found it today. After I used my insurance, reported it lost and paid for a new one, am I allowed to reactivate it?

Reckoner

My Nexus 6p cracks and creaks when I'm handling it, and I've never dropped it. So I have decided to return it.

It doesn't feel premium to me... It does look premium but it feels like cheap thin plastic that's about to break. Performance has been amazing but I shouldn't have to worry about holding my phone gently enough so that it doesn't sound like it's going to break...

So that's three phones in the past two months that have failed me in some way:

- Asus Zenfone 2: lower part of the screen stopped working after a month.

- Moto X Pure: would get incredibly hot after a few minutes and throttle when browsing.

- Nexus 6p: cracks and creaks, feels like it's going to break.

I'm starting to think that I don't have good luck with phones...

Also, my Moto E feels like it has much better build quality than this three phones. I don't know what phone I should get now. I:

I'm still on the fence whether I should save my money and hold onto the Moto E until whatever decent comes out next year.

Just get another 6P?

Noema posted already a link here with the best Android phones you can buy right now. Check that out.

Btw, anyone here rocking a Shield K1 tablet? How are those front facing speakers?

Bloodember

Just get another 6P?

Noema posted already a link here with the best Android phones you can buy right now. Check that out.

Btw, anyone here rocking a Shield K1 tablet? How are those front facing speakers?

I have one, they are great. It's actually the main reason I went with it. I mean why would you want your speakers facing away from you?

Reckoner

I have one, they are great. It's actually the main reason I went with it. I mean why would you want your speakers facing away from you?

Yeah. I just want to know if they are actual good phone speakers, like the ones on the Nexus 6. The main usage I would give to it is games and media.

Your best getting it off Expansys or Importing from UK via Clove/Handtec.

In the US Z3+ has only just become available officially it seems.
It was listed as coming soon on the Sony website up until recently now it gives a link to buy LOL.
Z3+ is the US james bond phone.

Ended up going with Clove. I found tons of horror stories online about Expansys USA's customer service, but both Handtec and Clove seem fine based on everything I've read. Clove offered a free Sony bluetooth speaker with purchase, so that's who I went with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom