• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodember

Yeah. I just want to know if they are actual good phone speakers, like the ones on the Nexus 6. The main usage I would give to it is games and media.
I think they are good. But speakers in general are subjective to a persons taste and how they hear. Just because i like them doesnt mean you will.

Fatalah

My 5X arrived today, just firing it up now. First impression: I love the design of this phone. The color mint is hella pretty, accentuating the soft plastic curves of the back.

Feels solid my hand, surprisingly light. The 5.2" screen size is perfect, coming from a 4.7" 2013 Moto X.

I sold my Nexus 6. That was fast. Not a bad phone, but main reason I wanted to get it was better reception with band 12, but reception was about the same or worse(it made me use band 12 instead of band 4 in my house and band 12 was much slower data wise) than my OPO.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I sold my Nexus 6. That was fast. Not a bad phone, but main reason I wanted to get it was better reception with band 12, but reception was about the same or worse(it made me use band 12 instead of band 4 in my house and band 12 was much slower data wise) than my OPO.
My international N6 has worse reception than my USA N6P. And I'm international all the time.

My international N6 has worse reception than my USA N6P. And I'm international all the time.

Wow, the Nexus 6 was just a fail all around then I guess. I hadn't read the reception issues anywhere else. I guess the wait is on until next year for the snapdragon 820 phones.

MarkusRJR

Can Google Now access non-gmail emails? For example, I want it to read my Outlook emails for shipping times, billing, etc since I love that feature. Trying to move over completely to my Outlook email since all my family message me over it, but I don't want to lose the features of Google Now. I basically only use my gmail for newsletters and shopping websites.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I thought we already reached the conclusion that the Nexus 6 sucked last year.

It only sucked for the people who couldn't afford it. Otherwise, it is a great phone. It's still the best bang for the buck phone today. $200 is ridiculous.

Ty4on

Size of the phone is not something I really care about either way.
The 5X is plastic and not shiny. Get a shiny
old
Nexus 4 instead :D

If you're otherwise happy with I don't think the 5X could in any way be worth 300+. I'd maybe go for it, but only because I'm weird and like smaller phones with LCDs. Spec and build quality wise, eh.

The 5X is plastic and not shiny. Get a shiny
old
Nexus 4 instead :D

If you're otherwise happy with I don't think the 5X could in any way be worth 300+. I'd maybe go for it, but only because I'm weird and like smaller phones with LCDs. Spec and build quality wise, eh.

What are you even talking about? There are plenty of phones with comparable specs that sell for twice the amount. I can't imagine Google is making very much money on these phones.

Picked up an M9 for 390 cause why not? Need a baxkup phone and it was the best option in terms of price and quality. Certainly better than the A9 for 500.

The HTC One M9 it actually kind of tempting at roughly $400 after tax. I mean after the $100 Google Play credit and the peace of mind Uh-Oh gives you it doesn't sound half-bad.

this_guy

I can't review MMS messages for whatever reason. Anyone know a solution?

Did you already try rebooting your phone? My Nexus 5x had a similar issue after the latest update, but after a quick reboot everything was fine again. My old 2014 Moto X stopped receiving mms using Google's Messenger and I had to switch to Textra to get it working again.

Did you already try rebooting your phone? My Nexus 5x had a similar issue after the latest update, but after a quick reboot everything was fine again. My old 2014 Moto X stopped receiving mms using Google's Messenger and I had to switch to Textra to get it working again.
Hmmm, I don't think that's the reason. You mean a clean shutdown and restart right? Funnily enough I was using Textra and I just switched to Messenger to see if there is a difference.

Try deleting Pushbullet. I was having this issue on my Nexus 5.

I made a thread about it here and that could be it, or it could also be a bug in 6.0 apparently. But Pushbullet fix did it for me. Here's the thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3uio2l/psa_pushbullet_may_be_messing_with_your_mms/
I don't have Pushbullet installed but that's a good thread to read. It appears that it's a common issuse with others and it started happening last week. I wonder what I have that can be causing this...

#Android

Why does Android keep asking me to pick a keyboard, and how can I get it to stop?

Try deleting Pushbullet. I was having this issue on my Nexus 5.

I made a thread about it here and that could be it, or it could also be a bug in 6.0 apparently. But Pushbullet fix did it for me. Here's the thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3uio2l/psa_pushbullet_may_be_messing_with_your_mms/

On that same topic, is there an alternative to Pushbullet worth looking into? Their recent paywalling turned me off their service completely.

Jigolo

Why does Android keep asking me to pick a keyboard, and how can I get it to stop?

On that same topic, is there an alternative to Pushbullet worth looking into? Their recent paywalling turned me off their service completely.

Hardly used Pushbullet so I haven't even bothered looking for an alternative

Ty4on

What are you even talking about? There are plenty of phones with comparable specs that sell for twice the amount. I can't imagine Google is making very much money on these phones.
For someone who already has a Nexus 6 I don't see 300+ for subtle improvements in some areas and a fingerprint scanner being worth it.

I didn't mean to say that the 5X is bad value if you otherwise need/want a new phone. It's probably the best value out there right now.

Noema

Android GAF,

Make my decision for me.

Do I buy a 5X or stick with my Motorola Nexus 6,

I really like shiny new things.

5X is a slight upgrade over the 6 in some respects, and a downgrade in some respects.

Performance is probably quite similar, though the 5X has to deal with 75% less pixels than the 6, so games probably run better.

Camera is better on the 5X and of course , at 5.2", the 5X is much more manageable with one hand. Plus it has Nexus Imprint.

When it comes to the display, the 6 is QHD, but it has a subpar AMOLED panel. The 5X is FHD, but at 5.2", it has over 400ppi so that's not an issue. You gain nits, you lose contrast. The 5X's display is very well calibrated, so there's that. For me, personally, after using the 6 for 2 weeks, I'm comfortable with the size and anything under 5.5" feels tiny, so I don't know if I could go back to something that small.

6 probably has better battery life.

A 5.5" version of the 5X, with the Moto X Play's battery (3660mAh) is probably my dream phone.

Looks like I'm buying my mom a Galaxy S6 for Christmas. Should be a nice upgrade from the Nokia Lumia 921

It's a great phone. The display, camera and performance are first class.

mooooose

Hey, so I'm new to Android and I had a question. I received an off brand Android phone (Jolywa Z1). I was wondering if there is any way to install some sort of stock version of Android on it?

Noema

Hey, so I'm new to Android and I had a question. I received an off brand Android phone (Jolywa Z1). I was wondering if there is any way to install some sort of stock version of Android on it?

Unless someone built a ROM based on stock for that specific hardware, not really.

A quick Google search doesn't reveal much about the phone; in fact the 3rd result is this very thread.

Does it have Google Apps, like the Play Store?

It's been a loong 2 month wait (the batter on my Nexus 5 is obviously dieing) but at last the 128 GB Graphite 6P is available in Australia , got a nice Carbon Folio case to go with it.

I see that I'll have to get my SIM card cut down again too (since the 5 takes a Micro and this is a Nano)

Great news: The Pixel C still exists!
https://mobile.twitter.com/lockheimer/status/671163328249487361

On that note, hows 32GB for a tablet? Too little? I really don't want to spend the extra money for the 64GB if I don't have to...

You'll find the OS actually takes up a fair chunk of the space on a tablet with internal storage that small. But it really comes down to what you do with it. I have a lot of RPGs on my phone, and keep 1 set of scheduled backups on it (that gets synched to my NAS when I'm at home) and I'm running at close to 32 GB. If you're going to do gaming or serious video storage 32 GB is probably going to be uncomfortable. If you're just looking for something to browse the web, and store a little music , you should be fine.

AT&T unlimited plans rumored to increase by $5. Not bad when compared to Big V but still shitty if true.

It's more a troll than anything else from AT&T. 5 bucks ain't shit to them, but they had to make sure they trolled Verizon who jacked up the price $20 and also their few remaining unlimited data users because fuck you that's why.

It's too bad Obama and his FCC loves the corporations so much. It's sad what a shit corporatist President Obama ended up being at the end.

mooooose

Unless someone built a ROM based on stock for that specific hardware, not really.

A quick Google search doesn't reveal much about the phone; in fact the 3rd result is this very thread.

Does it have Google Apps, like the Play Store?
It had the Play Store, but after I signed in it would crash every time I'd try to download anything, so I removed it thinking I could just wipe the whole thing...

Cricket was selling the GS6 for $250 with activation. I saw that and I didn't get a chance to buy it earlier, and now it's sold out.

Lol, how am I supposed to return to the world where a 16GB 5X is a deal at $300? I really hope that they put some more units up for sale before 12/3 but I just don't expect that.

There's nothing that Samsung can do to turn around their fortunes. Switching the man in charge isn't going to do anything. They succeeded because they had the market for big phones. Now that Apple has a big iphone they are seeing the new ceiling for what they can accomplish. It's still a ton of profit, just not as much as they were making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom