• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

This thread is pretty much "conflating what super tech nerds with limited personal budgets desire vs. strategic direction for corporations."

Bobo's right. There's nothing Samsung can do. The race to the bottom in Android was about 1/2 the timescale of the PC industry.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Samsung is where they belong. Apple deserves the vast, vast majority of profits because they make the best phone for the vast, vast majority of people.

We need to Harrison Jones tf out of Samsung.

CronoShot

I feel like Samsung has gotten away from what made them successful with the S3. They're trying to beat Apple at their own game, which will never happen.

They did good this year with addressing the issue of build quality with their phones. Next year, they need to work on their software. But even if they completely gutted Touchwiz, I feel like the stigma it has is now impossible to get rid of.

Basically, they need to:

1. Not revamp, but replace Touchwiz. Ideally, use stock and add some of the nice features from Touchwiz (dual window, S-Pen, etc.)
2. Bring back SD card slots and removable batteries. Set themselves apart from Apple again.
3. Work with carriers to ensure quicker updates and security patches. No one should expect Nexus speeds, but it needs to be faster than it is now.

Other than that, keep up with the nice build quality, camera, and display.

Condom

Samsung is where they belong. Apple deserves the vast, vast majority of profits because they make the best phone for the vast, vast majority of people.

This is simply not true. The majority of the people are not using iPhones and Apple does not deserve the majority of the profit. Maybe you are talking about flagship phones? Because only then it is debatable.

Do not equate actual profit/earnings with deserved profit/earnings. That is a fake reality created in a market society.

There's nothing that Samsung can do to turn around their fortunes. Switching the man in charge isn't going to do anything. They succeeded because they had the market for big phones. Now that Apple has a big iphone they are seeing the new ceiling for what they can accomplish. It's still a ton of profit, just not as much as they were making.
the problem is they're not at any ceiling. They're declining at a fast rate rather than staying in one spot. They're losing ground on the low end and they're losing the high end completely.

This is simply not true. The majority of the people are not using iPhones and Apple does not deserve the majority of the profit. Maybe you are talking about flagship phones? Because only then it is debatable.

Do not equate actual profit/earnings with deserved profit/earnings. That is a fake reality created in a market society.
it's not completely wrong, iphone is the single highest selling smartphone in the world. And there's good reason for it. It's not some facade.

TBH I don't think there's anything samsung can do to be really successful anymore but I think they can carve out a niche if they focus on some core strengths rather than trying to be everything.

Condom

it's not completely wrong, iphone is the single highest selling smartphone in the world. And there's good reason for it. It's not some facade.
It is completely wrong because he thinks 92% of the profits is deserved. That is completely not deserved.

Nobody is saying the IPhone sucks, we're talking about monopolizing all the profits. It is never OK for a company to monopolize 92%+ of the profits in any market. Exceptions aside of course like in the beginning of a market when there are no real alternatives.

Wreav

Banned
It is completely wrong because he thinks 92% of the profits is deserved. That is completely not deserved.

Nobody is saying the IPhone sucks, we're talking about monopolizing all the profits. It is never OK for a company to monopolize 92%+ of the profits in any market. Exceptions aside of course like in the beginning of a market when there are no real alternatives.
You act like people are forced at gunpoint to buy iPhones lol

Winner is winning.

tzare

the problem is they're not at any ceiling. They're declining at a fast rate rather than staying in one spot. They're losing ground on the low end and they're losing the high end completely.

TBH I don't think there's anything samsung can do to be really successful anymore but I think they can carve out a niche if they focus on some core strengths rather than trying to be everything.

Which is?

because it's apple, just make the exact phone without apple on it and boom, there' you have it

Nicktendo86

Apple have done an amazing job in terms of marketing, brand awareness etc etc. They are the very best at selling their products.

Samsung are an odd company. The thing is they have made their latest flagships look so much like iPhones you might as well just get an iPhone. I don't think the S6 is much cheaper than the iPhone either, which I think is an issue.

You hardly ever see any adverts here in the UK for Android OEMs except for Samsung and Sony with their Made in Chelsea deal, but Apple adverts are always on the airwaves despite their already massive mindshare. Sometimes it feels like the other OEMs are not even trying to sell their products. I've not seen a Motorola advert on the TV here for at least 6 years.

Which is?

because it's apple, just make the exact phone without apple on it and boom, there' you have it

the good reason for their success is they simply make the most appealing phone to the masses. It's one of the best looking phones, it has the best apps, it's a good all-round performer, the software is hassle free. Not many frills but no surprises whatsoever. It's consistently great. For the mass public it's easily the best device. The larger option is there as a bonus to those who want that as well.

And HTC already made an iphone without an apple logo :p

Man you guys are really salty about iPhone winning.

Also, I'm sure Apple's price-fixing on its amazing iBooks service convinced many people to use iPhones (lol)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Samsung making bank from Apple anyways since they supply like half of the 6S chips.

Wreav

Banned
I think my work in this thread is done. Got all you guys talking about the iWay and cursing your favs. I'll see y'all next year when some phones come out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
S6 was ruined by Touchwiz, LG G4 was felled by Android. Both phones went to crap after owning them for a month + and installing a bunch of apps. The s6 turned laggy, unresponsive, and janky. The G4 battery turned to complete garbage. Otherwise, it's butter smooth, responsive, and fast. Really don't feel like wiping my phone and starting over, don't feel like messing with dozens of battery saving apps hoping to see a minor improvement, don't feel like rooting or whatever to pinpoint the exact cause (which may turn out to be some useful Google service that I want to keep on anyway). I don't feel like I should cripple my phone by turning off services or deleting apps, I just want my phone to work right and for my battery to last me through the day. Even bought an official spare G4 battery because I thought I had a lemon, now I know it's software related.

Anyway, love the G4, it's not the phone's fault. It never had the best battery life, but what's happening to my phone is not normal. So I think I'll bow out of Android for now, I had a good run. Galaxy S5, Note 4, S6 Edge, and now G4. I'd say I gave the platform a decent shot, and I'll hang on to my Nexus 7.

Reckoner

S6 was ruined by Touchwiz, LG G4 was felled by Android. Both phones went to crap after owning them for a month + and installing a bunch of apps. The s6 turned laggy, unresponsive, and janky. The G4 battery turned to complete garbage. Otherwise, it's butter smooth, responsive, and fast. Really don't feel like wiping my phone and starting over, don't feel like messing with dozens of battery saving apps hoping to see a minor improvement, don't feel like rooting or whatever to pinpoint the exact cause (which may turn out to be some useful Google service that I want to keep on anyway). I don't feel like I should cripple my phone by turning off services or deleting apps, I just want my phone to work right and for my battery to last me through the day. Even bought an official spare G4 battery because I thought I had a lemon, now I know it's software related.

Anyway, love the G4, it's not the phone's fault. It never had the best battery life, but what's happening to my phone is not normal. So I think I'll bow out of Android for now, I had a good run. Galaxy S5, Note 4, S6 Edge, and now G4. I'd say I gave the platform a decent shot, and I'll hang on to my Nexus 7.

You're basically saying that you should have bought a Nexus for a phone too.

Moreche

Nothing could make me jump from android back to iOS after I made the switch about 6 months ago.
My nexus 6P, Chromecast and google services are cheaper and far better than what my 6, Apple tv4 and iCloud ever were.

8Pd7Ben.png

I'm in it - Kanye West

Nothing could make me jump from android back to iOS after I made the switch about 6 months ago.
My nexus 6P, Chromecast and google services are cheaper and far better than what my 6, Apple tv4 and iCloud ever were.
I forgot Chromecast and Google's services don't work on iOS.

clav

What program do you use to change the colors of your LED notifications?

I finally decided to custom rom a Galaxy S3, and it's been working OK with minor annoyances. Better than the last time I tried it years ago although I have to cycle airplane mode to get data back sometimes. At least I now pass Stagefright and possibly other bugs.

However I don't get notification LEDs any more.

yyzjohn

Banned
What program do you use to change the colors of your LED notifications?

I finally decided to custom rom a Galaxy S3, and it's been working OK with minor annoyances. Better than the last time I tried it years ago although I have to cycle airplane mode to get data back sometimes. At least I now pass Stagefright and possibly other bugs.

However I don't get notification LEDs any more.

I'm used Lightflow for years. Lots of options and works reliably.

Reckoner

The 5X lags according to people in this post. Maybe this poster should give iOS a shot or consider Windows Phone?

My Nexus 6 didn't lag that much. It was snappy. Didn't have top of the line performance, but was perfectly fine.

Don't know about the 5X, but it should be about the same minus the extra gig of ram. Isn't the 6P an option?

Reckoner

A friend of mine bought a 5X days ago for 400 euros (a great deal in Europe) and didn't mention anything about lag. Actually, he said that the phone was very smooth.

He comes from a Galaxy Nexus, though.

A friend of mine bought a 5X days ago for 400 euros (a great deal in Europe) and didn't mention anything about lag. Actually, he said that the phone was very smooth.

He comes from a Galaxy Nexus, though.

Anyone coming from an old phone isn't going to notice. If you come from a recent phone without lag it is easily noticeable.

zewone

Ended up ordering a Dell Venue 8 7000.

Can't wait to view that 8.4" OLED infinity display with 2560 x 1600 resolution.

My media will be consumed.

CmIa0k1.jpg

mturco

Nexus 5X lag is definitely real but it's very situational. It seems to only happen when you wake it and I do think it has something to do with Snapchat and/or the camera. I'm hoping an OTA update fixes it soon.

It's definitely not a case of the SOC simply not being able to keep up because the S808 is more powerful than the SOCs in the N5 and N6 and both are very smooth. Plus the 5X itself is extremely smooth the majority of the time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Camera on the 6P needs an update. Takes a long time to open, had to close/restart to get it working the other day.
Nexus cameras crash when you use them heavy. Every single one. In my experience. The phone just overheats.

CronoShot

Anyone coming from an old phone isn't going to notice. If you come from a recent phone without lag it is easily noticeable.

I dunno, I had a Note 5 and bought a 5X for giggles, and I never noticed any real lag at all. In fact, in some ways it felt smoother than the Note 5.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My dad's Nexus 6 came in today. Been playing with it installing everything. Got marshmallow on it now. It's huge for sure and the screen isn't half has good as my Note 5's, but it's still a decent screen. Not as bright though. Those front facing stereo speakers are fucking legit though. Overall, my dad is gonna love it.

jwk94

Heads up Moto X Pure/Style: Moto accidentally pushed Marshmallow to some devices. Was supposed to be a soak test but yeah. Try updating your device to see if you got it. Nothing on my end =(

tzare

the good reason for their success is they simply make the most appealing phone to the masses. It's one of the best looking phones, it has the best apps, it's a good all-round performer, the software is hassle free. Not many frills but no surprises whatsoever. It's consistently great. For the mass public it's easily the best device. The larger option is there as a bonus to those who want that as well.

And HTC already made an iphone without an apple logo :p

I agree and disagree. It appeals to the masses because Apple is associated, like other brands (cars, clothing etc) with 'luxury' and that is something Samsung and others lack. Then a lot of people find Apple products 'affordable' because many do not pay 700€ at once. That helps too.

Ease of use, apps, design and performance is not much better or worse than other high end phones. And they also have some issues, as almost any product int the world: os issues, hardware issues etc....Of course if you compare an Iphone with a low-midrange phone you will find more problems on those, but most people are fine with their phones. (and that connsidering that iOS and android are very different, just like consoles and PCs in gaming)

Apple also offer a very limited range of products, compared to rivals (that is a key point imo to keep the 'luxury product aura', and why Iphone 5C was somehow a failure compared to standard iPhone)

So best device != most desired device. Different things, and yes,that is why HTC's iphone (m7 or newer ones) will never reach Apple level sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom