• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever the whole "Why is Apple so popular?" discussion comes up very few people talk about how godlike their customer support is. I bought an iPhone 6 off of eBay and it had a dead pixel on the display, but since the phone was still in warranty I decided to try calling Apple. 3 Days later the phone was fixed as they FedEx Overnight'ed it both ways and replaced the screen the day they received it. I was absolutely amazed at that kind of service because it has never been anywhere near that easy dealing with Android Manufactures when I've had issues with my devices.

Yeah iPhone's have hardware issues like any other device but, at least you aren't stuck pulling teeth when it comes to trying to get your phone serviced.

tzare

Whenever the whole "Why is Apple so popular?" discussion comes up very few people talk about how godlike their customer support is. I bought an iPhone 6 off of eBay and it had a dead pixel on the display, but since the phone was still in warranty I decided to try calling Apple. 3 Days later the phone was fixed as they FedEx Overnight'ed it both ways and replaced the screen the day they received it. I was absolutely amazed at that kind of service because it has never been anywhere near that easy dealing with Android Manufactures when I've had issues with my devices.

Yeah iPhone's have hardware issues like any other device but, at least you aren't stuck pulling teeth when it comes to trying to get your phone serviced.

that is a fair point, probably tied to the premium price you pay for the device too. Other OEM's should improve obviously if want to have same status. Not sure, however, if that customer support is as good worldwide, since i had a lot of problems to replace a faulty ipod here in Spain.

Btw, do Android devices allow two simultaneous BT connections? I was considering a smartband but i also listen to music using a sony SBH20 so not sure how that could work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Epic sax guy music only plays on my 6P so that's why I bought it tbh

Hasney

Btw, do Android devices allow two simultaneous BT connections? I was considering a smartband but i also listen to music using a sony SBH20 so not sure how that could work.

Yeah, always got my watch still paired while listening to music.

Mindwipe

that is a fair point, probably tied to the premium price you pay for the device too. Other OEM's should improve obviously if want to have same status. Not sure, however, if that customer support is as good worldwide, since i had a lot of problems to replace a faulty ipod here in Spain.

It's up to the device hardware, but I can certainly use BT headphones and my BT keyboard at the same time, the OS supports it.

Reckoner

5X lag is bs. I just tried one at a store and it was the smoothest phone I ever tried. What y'all are saying is probably bug related, as other people already said in this thread. I didn't try the camera, so there's that.

Apple support is shitty in my country. I had some of the worst experiences in the past. But they don't have a strong presence here, just through official re-sellers and stuff. I believe that support is handled by a third party, but I could be wrong.

Mindwipe

Absolutely. As much as I like my Xperia, the aftersales support after it broke was just not fit for purpose. Apple would have fixed it in a walk in in an hour. Sony took three weeks.

Reckoner

I'll take your word and in store session over the word of people who own the device.

You're on your own right.

The thing is, if I took word for everything I read on the Internet, I wouldn't buy anything. My friend who bought the phone says it's very smooth, I tried one in store and thought the same and I have a 6s right now, and some people already mentioned here that this could be a bug related to the camera and/or Snapchat app. The 808 shouldn't be a laggy chip, so if there is a bug it will be fixed.

I just noticed another crack on the side of my Nexus 5, where the SIM tray is. This is the second one so far. The first one appeared around the headphone jack.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a cheap G4 or S6 (saw a new one on sale for €399).

co1onel

I just noticed another crack on the side of my Nexus 5, where the SIM tray is. This is the second one so far. The first one appeared around the headphone jack.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a cheap G4 or S6 (saw a new one on sale for €399).

Mine's got 4 and I've never dropped it. After the first crack showed up I put it in a case and there were even more when I took it out. Pretty shoddy build quality.

this_guy

5X lag is bs. I just tried one at a store and it was the smoothest phone I ever tried. What y'all are saying is probably bug related, as other people already said in this thread. I didn't try the camera, so there's that.

Yes the few minutes you spent at the store swiping through home screens trumps actual users who own the device and have used it for weeks now.

If you use Snapchat or the camera on a fresh reboot there will be slight hitches here and there. Keep using the phone throughout the day and later go back into Snapchat or the camera and we're not talking just slight lag or a missed frame or two, but the phone just bogs down. Sometimes I'll try to get out of the app and press the home button and it might take around 5 seconds before I'm back on the home screen. Reading this thread and reddit shows others are having the same issues.

I'll take your word and in store session over the word of people who own the device.

Van knows what's up.

Maiar_m

I got my N6P from work. I like the phone overall (but still would have much preferred a smaller form factor) however the screen is IMO horrible. Whites are green-blueish, sRGB isn't much (but still is somewhat) of an improvement, and the viewing angles...

Fingerprint to unlock is godly though.

Yes the few minutes you spent at the store swiping through home screens trumps actual users who own the device and have used it for weeks now.

If you use Snapchat or the camera on a fresh reboot there will be slight hitches here and there. Keep using the phone throughout the day and later go back into Snapchat or the camera and we're not talking just slight lag or a missed frame or two, but the phone just bogs down. Sometimes I'll try to get out of the app and press the home button and it might take around 5 seconds before I'm back on the home screen. Reading this thread and reddit shows others are having the same issues.

Van knows what's up.

Sounds like Google managed to outdo Samsung on the software front

Groof

I got my N6P from work. I like the phone overall (but still would have much preferred a smaller form factor) however the screen is IMO horrible. Whites are green-blueish, sRGB isn't much (but still is somewhat) of an improvement, and the viewing angles...

Fingerprint to unlock is godly though.
The viewing angles seen to be related to whatever cheap ass oleophobic coating they use. I see the same colour shifts and tinting even with the screen off.

Staab

Hey guys, kind of a dumb question probably but I'm moving into a new flat and the cable connection outlet is in a weird position, quite far from the spot I'd like to place the TV at.
My internet and TV both arrive through the cable, which is connected to a WiFi router.

I have a non-smart TV with hdmi, cable and USB inputs, would a chromecast type dongle work to receive the TV channels (I usually connected the cable directly to the TV but would like to avoid having a 15m long cable in the living room) ?

Thanks !

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google-Play-partial-payments-840x549.jpg

Mindwipe

Hey guys, kind of a dumb question probably but I'm moving into a new flat and the cable connection outlet is in a weird position, quite far from the spot I'd like to place the TV at.
My internet and TV both arrive through the cable, which is connected to a WiFi router.

I have a non-smart TV with hdmi, cable and USB inputs, would a chromecast type dongle work to receive the TV channels (I usually connected the cable directly to the TV but would like to avoid having a 15m long cable in the living room) ?

Thanks !

No.

Toki767

Google momentarily put up their Dialer and Contacts app on the Store. Smart move to try to get the stock experience on other phones.

Drifters

I don't think I'm going to get rid of my m8. Marshmallow goodness in the next 24 hrs!
Already downloaded the pre-load updates!

Hi GAF

Need some major assistance tonight. I was troubleshooting an Exchange syncing issue on a client's Galaxy S6 and accidentally wiped their local calendar data which they did not have synced to gmail or any other account.

Is there any way to recover that data?

Hasney

I think your blind hatred of Samsung is clouding your vision.

USB cables are all the same breh.

I went through 2 Samsung official charging cables with my S4 before giving up and just getting any old one. Haven't had any other break on me.

They're not all the same, they may have improved by now but you can easily make savings by going cheap on the wiring.

Hey guys,

New to Android - got a Galaxy S6 Edge + coming my way tomorrow. Any recommendations for apps/themes and stuff?

I'm coming from a good 4/5 years of Windows Phone, so I'm a bit lost. :)

Hey guys,

New to Android - got a Galaxy S6 Edge + coming my way tomorrow. Any recommendations for apps/themes and stuff?

Nova launcher for customizing to replace touchwiz
google messenger to replace stock texting app
gmail or outlook for email
airdroid
google play music
google keep for notes

there's more but that should start you off. Make sure to go into the application manager asap and disable as much preinstalled bloat as possible from samsung/carrier.

Nova launcher for customizing to replace touchwiz
google messenger to replace stock texting app
gmail or outlook for email
airdroid
google play music
google keep for notes

there's more but that should start you off. Make sure to go into the application manager asap and disable as much preinstalled bloat as possible from samsung/carrier.

Duly noted, appreciate it.

I went through 2 Samsung official charging cables with my S4 before giving up and just getting any old one. Haven't had any other break on me.

They're not all the same, they may have improved by now but you can easily make savings by going cheap on the wiring.

Funny, I've had 3 Samsung-made devices (Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 4) and I still have the cables which came with the devices and they are all fine.

If you don't beat your stuff up, it won't break.

Nicktendo86

Heads up Moto X Pure/Style: Moto accidentally pushed Marshmallow to some devices. Was supposed to be a soak test but yeah. Try updating your device to see if you got it. Nothing on my end =(

Only in US, nothing here in UK :(

Edit: Not seeing the partial credit here in the UK yet either but I am seeing a 10% discount for being a google play music subscriber, what's that all about?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey guys,

Don't go crazy. Keep it how it ships, and then just download apps that you need as you go. No need to go crazy day 1.

Best advice is if you don't like the built in Samsung apps Google probably has their own alternative like Chrome, Gmail, Messenger, Keyboard ect...

Make sure you get the Google Opinion Rewards app so you can start banking free credit.

After you've used your phone for a bit then you can worry about going cray in terms of apps and customization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom