• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think your blind hatred of Samsung is clouding your vision.

USB cables are all the same breh.
Yo for real? You throwing that Samsung hatred nonsense my way? It really hurts that you'd think that of me, Unknown. :p

But seriously, I've not had problems with any other cables except those official Samsung ones. My old HTC WinMo cables are still going strong. The one that came with my PS3 in '08 has no issues either, and I use that thing damn near daily. Guess some of us are just luckier.

Anyway, bought me a couple of nice Anker cables on Amazon.

No one can beat Apple at that game. That shitty soft material they use sucks.
Yeah, this is most definitely true. They are quite a bit worse than Samsung's. My mom and sister went through a number of them things.

Reckoner

It's hard to go on the hate train for Samsung these says.

Marshmallow update looks hot, and you can buy a S6 for cheap which is a good looking, fast and premium phone. It's being sold for around 400 euros over here. It's a no brainer. Cheaper than the 5X.

Marshmallow update looks hot, and you can buy a S6 for cheap which is a good looking, fast and premium phone. It's being sold for around 400 euros over here. It's a no brainer. Cheaper than the 5X.

Only downside would be the average battery, I suppose. I wonder in which direction they're going with the S7.

3phemeral

Really looking forward to Marshmallow on my S6 - if only for the improved memory management alone.

this_guy

Decided to jump in on the Galaxy S6 from Cricket for $250. The Nexus 5x is going back.

The camera/Snapchat lag is disappointing on the 5x. They also cheaped out on a few other areas as well. I listen to music through headphones and the sound quality isn't as good as other flagship phones I've used. Also when talking in a loud area it's hard to hear the other person as the speaker doesn't get loud enough.

I figure the Galaxy S6 can hold me over and I save over $200 returning the 5x.

zewone

Decided to jump in on the Galaxy S6 from Cricket for $250. The Nexus 5x is going back.

The camera/Snapchat lag is disappointing on the 5x. They also cheaped out on a few other areas as well. I listen to music through headphones and the sound quality isn't as good as other flagship phones I've used. Also when talking in a loud area it's hard to hear the other person as the speaker doesn't get loud enough.

Is the Cricket S6 unlockable to use on other GSM networks?

DagsJT

I went from a 5X to an S6 and really happy I made the jump.

this_guy

I would probably also rather deal with Samsung/Touchwiz than the 5X jank. Especially if it's $200 less.

Yeah its disappointing. Either the processor cannot handle the forced encryption or adding another gig of ram should have solved the jank issue. Or had they just shrank the 6p into a smaller form factor I would have been fine paying a higher price.

NotBacon

Yeah its disappointing. Either the processor cannot handle the forced encryption or adding another gig of ram should have solved the jank issue. Or had they just shrank the 6p into a smaller form factor I would have been fine paying a higher price.

Something tells me it's a software/firmware issue instead of hardware, since it seems to only happen when doing camera things and especially snapchat. Did you ever purposely avoid using anything camera related to see if the jank still eventually appeared?

this_guy

Something tells me it's a software/firmware issue instead of hardware, since it seems to only happen when doing camera things and especially snapchat. Did you ever purposely avoid using anything camera related to see if the jank still eventually appeared?

Yeah, it's primarily a camera/snapchat issue. Everything else runs fine for the most part. It's something I noticed right away in Snapchat, and I was thinking since it's the first marshmallow phone that maybe Snapchat needed to fix something on their end. The phone was never as snappy as my 2014 Moto X as their was a heaviness feeling to it, but performance is fine outside of the camera/snapchat. Could be a ram issue (previous phones with 2gb have been fine, but maybe 64 bit processor needs more memory?) or maybe the forced encryption is something the processor can't really handle.

Dobsie

Hey guys, what's considered the best browser for Android? I was using chrome up until now but it drains so much battery, its constantly top of my battery useage. I think this is down to the mobile radio active bug introduced by lollipop, the only "fix" for this is to kill the app by long holding back, which isn't really much of a fix as it has to reload my tabs every time. Even doing this today, chrome is still top of my battery use, i think its just a real hog.
I've just loaded up the aosp browser and got it to sync my bookmarks, for the most part it seems pretty good, but I read something about it not being supported by google anymore so there are some security flaws??

this_guy

does this only happen on the google camera app or all camera apps?

Just tried Camera Zoom FX, seems to perform on par with the Google camera. The camera works much better than Snapchat and I'll only notice a few hitches here and there after opening and using several apps. I can deal with that, but Snapchat just really bogs down and you have to reboot your phone if you want to use it at times.

With the Galaxy S6 going for $250 (Cricket sale that ends today) I'd just rather switch phones and save some money.

I still have my $50 Google play credit from getting my 6P. What are some must buy games/apps that you guys recommend? I have no idea what I would spend it on haha.

this_guy

I still have my $50 Google play credit from getting my 6P. What are some must buy games/apps that you guys recommend? I have no idea what I would spend it on haha.

I used mine for Fargo season 2 (tv show). Will probably buy movies or Final Fantasy 4-6 with the rest of my credits.

Aaaaaaaaaand the fact that it turns to jank after you've owned it for a bit and installed some apps.

I feel like this is something I have to experience myself. I also don't use any apps, other than a browser, Outlook and Twitter (remember the home screen I posted)

If my Nexus 5 keeps falling apart, I feel like it's the only sensible option I have, if I want to keep wireless charging.

Does the S6 have double-tap to wake/sleep?

My N4 is starting to shit the bed on me so now I'm looking for something new. Atm I'm thinking of the N6 (340ish on amazon), OP2 and maybe the moto x. I have around $100 in amazon GC so the N6 is looking really good to me atm...any opinions on the 3? Also I've never had a big phone ever so I'm intrigued with the N6

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Use it on Google music.

RuGalz

Hey guys, what's considered the best browser for Android? I was using chrome up until now but it drains so much battery, its constantly top of my battery useage. I think this is down to the mobile radio active bug introduced by lollipop, the only "fix" for this is to kill the app by long holding back, which isn't really much of a fix as it has to reload my tabs every time. Even doing this today, chrome is still top of my battery use, i think its just a real hog.
I've just loaded up the aosp browser and got it to sync my bookmarks, for the most part it seems pretty good, but I read something about it not being supported by google anymore so there are some security flaws??

If you don't need to sync chrome (tabs etc), try turning it off. I only turn it on momentarily to grab the bookmarks.

Ixian

Cross-posting this from the Nexus 6P thread: "Just got an update for the Camera app; it's way faster to start up now, thus fixing my one main complaint with the phone, yay!"

Curious how much of an improvement it is for 5X owners, as well, since it's supposed to be faster there too.

Groof

Cross-posting this from the Nexus 6P thread: "Just got an update for the Camera app; it's way faster to start up now, thus fixing my one main complaint with the phone, yay!"

Curious how much of an improvement it is for 5X owners, as well, since it's supposed to be faster there too.

i hope it also fixes the issues with it not actually taking a photo sometimes.

zewone

My N4 is starting to shit the bed on me so now I'm looking for something new. Atm I'm thinking of the N6 (340ish on amazon), OP2 and maybe the moto x. I have around $100 in amazon GC so the N6 is looking really good to me atm...any opinions on the 3? Also I've never had a big phone ever so I'm intrigued with the N6

Having owned both the N6 and OP2, the OP2 is a much better phone.

Unless you need NFC for some reason, it's a no brainer for me.

Noema

If you are into tower defense, the Kingdom Rush games are a must have.

I got it last night on my Nexus 6. Makes it look like the camera interface on the newer Nexuses. It feels faster to start up and HDR+ processing feels faster as well.

Furyous

It would be great if Sony would finally put a 1080p display into the Compact. It needs to happen. Do it, Sony.

Of course they won't.

I did the maths and that comes out to 468 PPI. That gives this hypothetical device higher resolution than the Xperia Z5. Pls, Sony do it because value add. I wouldn't need another Android device for at least two years if they offer proper support.

linkboy

I just upgraded from the 5 to the 6 a few months ago and I love it, best phone I've ever used.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 5X comes in next week. Can't wait to confirm how everyone who bought it not on sale got ripped off

Bloodember

Having owned both the N6 and OP2, the OP2 is a much better phone.

Unless you need NFC for some reason, it's a no brainer for me.

The N6 must be a turd then, because the OP2 is a pile of garbage. I had it for a month, it was the worst phone experience I have ever had. The OnePlus One is a better phone than the OP2.

Jigolo

Got my mom's S6 today. Fast charging is legendary and the display is phenomenal; software sucks but it's not as slow as I thought it'd be (the phone is snappy and smooth) and I disabled a ton of useless Samsung bloat. I had never experienced any type of quick charging before and it's a fantastic feature. I'm glad it'll be standard for flagships next year when I plan to upgrade. QC quick charge 3.0 and Samsung fast charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom