• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocopuffs

Banned
Not sure how to feel about this battery life on my Nexus 6P. It's great when I'm not using it much as the Doze feature works well but when it's under heavy use, it doesn't seem that impressive.

Is this par for the course for this phone?
sErxwfD.png
CpMQKq8.png
8nhPQ5r.png

Noema

maybe the forced encryption is something the processor can't really handle.

I don't know. The Nexus 6 has a slower CPU and also has to push 75% more pixels and it runs Marshmallow very well, with next to no stuttering, Camera included . I think that the effects of encryption on performance are not really noticeable outside synthetic benchmarks and in very specific situations. This is not to say that encryption doesn't impact performance ; it does, but it doesn't really translate to UI jank. I disabled it when I flashed the ElementalX kernel and honestly I can't tell the difference. When the phone gets choppy it's probably the GPU choking .

It's probably a combination of software + thermal throttling on the 5x, plus maybe a garbage collection issue with its limited RAM that cause the jank.

Two solid Nexus camera updates in a row.

It's what an update should be: improves performance AND UX. I'm liking this new camera.

Reckoner

I need your help on deciding between a cheaper phone, guys.

Right now, from what I looked, it's either the Nexus 5 for 290e, 5X for 440e, Z5 Compact for 500e, Galaxy S6 for 480e. I'd rather go below the 450e mark, though. I could probably also find a Nexus 6 under that price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I bet you can't w8. You'll C

Right now, from what I looked, it's either the Nexus 5 for 290e, 5X for 440e, Z5 Compact for 500e, Galaxy S6 for 480e. I'd rather go below the 450e mark, though. I could probably also find a Nexus 6 under that price.
Buy my like new Nexus 6. It's the EU version. PM me.

cocopuffs

Banned
So you don't consider 4.5 hours of SOT and 18 hours of battery good?

U wot m8?
4.5 SOT really doesn't seem that impressive to me, maybe it's good in the realm of Android phones but I'd prefer if smartphones had better batteries. Now granted this was a day that I used it a lot and regular days, normally it'd last the entire day but man I wish battery tech would get better quick.

Fatalah

Coming from the 2013 Moto X, I bought a 5X during last week's sale. I really miss Moto's ambient display (badly), and camera gesture.

Furyous

620 lol

even Sony failing to make a mini phone with high en specs now.

In their defense the 620 is a 64 bit SOC. Why would you need an 810 powering a presumably 720p resolution? Can someone explain to me why no Android OEM releases a smartphone with a 750p resolution? Sony needs to come back to the American market on a goddamn ship on some Dubya Bush FUCK YEAH 'MERICA WINNING SHIT. Bravado just dripping through the press conference of our phones are the shit so buy them.

tzare

620 lol

even Sony failing to make a mini phone with high en specs now.

If 620 delivers , it would be the first time a midrange SoC has similar or better performance than SD800 series from nexus 5 era, and probably more efficient too, so it is more than okay for a 4 inch device IMO and hope for 5inch midrange devices to have a competent soc so they do not have to go like the OnePlus X with 2 year old socs becasue SD615 is well, like an overclocked SD400

If most midrangers get that kind of performance i see high end socs having a hard time. We will see.

Groof

I thought the 6p would solve all my issues with the Play Music app but nope. Faster to boot up but still slow, laggy, not loading offline tracks when there's no connection, music playing but no sound.

s6 would be easy choice for me if that was the price bracket.

For those with a 5x, what settings are you using for your camera? I dunno if I should roll with Auto HDR+ or turn it off and use the standard HDR+ when I think it'll help. Any suggestions for a camera novice? Thanks!

ctfg23

Is there any way to adjust the L/R headphone balance with 6.0? I looked in sound and accessibility and can't find anything.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Please don't turn this into a picture thread. Next thing you know, we'll be posting home screens.

Bboy AJ

Understandable, I've removed the img tags.
Thanks. The N6P camera is a champ, though, so I understand your excitement. Unlike the N6, which required a pro to use it for good shots, the P is just super fun and easy to use.

I only wish I could take many shots without the phone heating up and freezing and crashing.

tzare

So it seems that Tag Heuer smartwatch has been quite succesful. Even at + 1000€ price tag. So glamorous brand seems to be the way. Now find one for phones to rival Apple in the high end market.

yogloo

So it's just a short honeymoon period between me and marshmallow. From 7 hours of screen on time to massive battery drain by cell standby. Fuck this shit.

So it's just a short honeymoon period between me and marshmallow. From 7 hours of screen on time to massive battery drain by cell standby. Fuck this shit.

I just upgraded my Nexus 6 to 6.0, outside of micro managing the notification, I am not seeing anything new. There isn't a setting to show battery percentage for gods sake. Also pulling the notification twice to get to the wifi and bluetooth toggles is a downgrade, not upgrade.

I still have to install most of my customization apps. I give it 2 weeks before I gave in and root it and rip out most of google's "custom rom interface", which is basically what it is.

I just upgraded my Nexus 6 to 6.0, outside of micro managing the notification, I am not seeing anything new. There isn't a setting to show battery percentage for gods sake. Also pulling the notification twice to get to the wifi and bluetooth toggles is a downgrade, not upgrade.

I still have to install most of my customization apps. I give it 2 weeks before I gave in and root it and rip out most of google's "custom rom interface", which is basically what it is.

Step 1: Enable Android 6.0 Marshmallow's System User Interface (UI) Tuner - a secret menu.

To activate the System UI Tuner swipe down on the notification panel. This will bring up the Quick Settings menu. Next, long press the Settings icon. A notification will pop up and will take the user to the Settings menu. The Control Panel can be spied on the bottom.

Step 2: Once the System User Interface (UI) Tuner is activated click on the Settings button to recheck if the feature is turned on. If the UI Tuner is activated you will see a wrench icon next to the Settings icon.

Step 3: In the Settings menu go to the bottom and you will see the System UI Tuner tab.

Step 4: Select System UI Tuner. Then check the "Show embedded battery percentage" box. Turn the toggle on.

Step 5: You will now be able to espy the battery percentage indicator. This will be displayed when any menu is launched by the user.

Step 1: Enable Android 6.0 Marshmallow's System User Interface (UI) Tuner - a secret menu.

To activate the System UI Tuner swipe down on the notification panel. This will bring up the Quick Settings menu. Next, long press the Settings icon. A notification will pop up and will take the user to the Settings menu. The Control Panel can be spied on the bottom.

Step 2: Once the System User Interface (UI) Tuner is activated click on the Settings button to recheck if the feature is turned on. If the UI Tuner is activated you will see a wrench icon next to the Settings icon.

Step 3: In the Settings menu go to the bottom and you will see the System UI Tuner tab.

Step 4: Select System UI Tuner. Then check the "Show embedded battery percentage" box. Turn the toggle on.

Step 5: You will now be able to espy the battery percentage indicator. This will be displayed when any menu is launched by the user.
#android

Jigolo

N5 battery life was about the same before and after 6.0

~2 hrs SoT on 5.1.1
~2 hrs SoT on 6.0 (+5-10 min)

Negligible

clav

that looks like a busted battery. The N5 might have bad battery, but not as bad as that.

SoT is such a baseless measurement without a standard benchmark.

Does it include wifi + bluetooth + NFC turned on?

Does it include a good or bad cellular signal?

Is the brightness turned all the way up or somewhere in the middle?

Are there any rogue apps like Facebook running in the background?

Does the user have any cloud automation like e-mail sync or background camera uploads?

That sounds normal to me as a Galaxy S3 user. I get 19 hours of cellular time if I turn on the screen for 2 hours.

Android version of reg edit, ladies and gentlemen.

Bboy AJ

Screen on time never works as a measuring stick for me. I've never gotten the 5 hours on LTE people claim. Baffling how that exists.

Android version of reg edit, ladies and gentlemen.
I'd rather they not even include it, frankly. Lots of whiners who turn on their screen to monitor battery percentages.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
no Starbucks for me but yes to the others and i also got free food from McDonalds for a week.

I did the McDs app for the free sandwich too. I dumped it after I got no other coupons other than by 5 get one free on the drinks

Meh, I just buy Nexus 6 and S6 on Black Friday and resell them. What does the shopkick thing do? You link doesn't work.

It's US only as far as I know, but you get points for walking in or buying at certain stores. I didn't link my card for buying, but I still get walk-in credit. So like if you have the app open it might say you get 100 "kicks" for walking into Best Buy or Target. Then like 2500 kicks you can exchange for a $10 giftcard to places like Target, Walmart, Starbucks, Gamestop, Best Buy ect...

It's essentially free money if I remember to open the app when I walk in a place to get kicks. Another GAFer in the Android GAF hangout turned me onto it.

Like the Google Opinion App it isn't much, but it all adds up over the full course of a year!

oti

Banned
Thinking about trying a launcher. Smart Launcher 3 looks interesting but only the Pro version. I need widgets and just better ways to organize things. I tend to not use stuff like Wunderlist if it's not in my face. Any other suggestions?

Has anyone had any experience with the Android watches ? Thinking about getting a Huawei one when they come out here but not sure if it'd be worth the price.

Blue Lou

Google's Chrome to Phone extension is being phased out and will not work from April. I'm disappointed with this.

Notice: Google Chrome to Phone Extension is no longer supported.
Chrome to Phone was launched in 2010 to help bridge your desktop and phone experience by making it easy to send Web links to your phone. Over the years, Google’s core products have evolved to be more integrated across different form factors. As of today, Chrome to Phone is deprecated. The app will continue to work until Mar 31st 2016 after which it will no longer work.

Here are ways Chrome to Phone’s most popular functionality can be achieved using Google today:
[1] Sending links to your phone. Sign into the Chrome Web browser on desktop and mobile and you can sync and view tabs across your devices.
[2] Send directions to your phone. Type send directions to my phone into Google on your laptop/desktop and simply enter the destination and choose your phone.
[3] Send text to your phone. Type send a note to my phone into Google on your laptop/desktop and simply enter the text and choose your phone.

See this help article to learn more about linking your phone to Google - https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/6128427?hl=en

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom