• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lol. Everything about this sounds like classic Android Jank(tm) in hybrid form. Nice try, Google.

I mean, it's Android and all, but WTF were they thinking putting this thing out without split screen being ready? LOL at them still not figuring out NVIDIA processors don't work with Android yet either.

Yeah seriously. How do you let Apple beat you to split screen mode when Samsung has got it working in Android for how many years now?

It is a pretty shit review. This one on the other hand seems pretty positive.

http://www.alphr.com/google/1002186/google-pixel-c-review-is-this-googles-surface-pro-killer
Nah reading both of them I think The Verge actually did a better job. The Verge's review was negative because the reviewer asked the obvious question as to why anybody would want to use Android for productivity given how poor the Android tablet experience has proven to be. The review you linked pretty much spent most of the article praising the hardware and then at the end pretty much says he wouldn't recommend it to people because of Android, but then went and gave it 4/5 stars.

ukas

Nah reading both of them I think The Verge actually did a better job. The Verge's review was negative because the reviewer asked the obvious question as to why anybody would want to use Android for productivity given how poor the Android tablet experience has proven to be.

As someone who's been using Android tablets since the Xoom, this issue has always been there and will continue to be until developers finally get their shit together. I'm guessing that multi-window support will definitely come within this tablets support cycle to improve upon the productivity aspect. And if I really, really want split screen it can be enabled in 6.

The review you linked pretty much spent most of the article praising the hardware and then at the end pretty much says he wouldn't recommend it to people because of Android, but then went and gave it 4/5 stars.

Actually, that's what matters to me considering how I'm used to the software situation and have no intention of ever buying and iPad.

EmiPrime

Both Android and iOS are shit for productivity and I don't trust any tech writer who tries to claim otherwise. I don't see myself trading my MacBook Air for a tablet and keyboard setup anytime in the next 5 years.

I trust Google to get there sooner than Apple (an OS that won't allow the end user to choose default apps for file types and certain functions isn't a serious one) but Android N really needs to focus on tablets.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I told you the Pixel C was coming out today. I also told you not to bother with it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I just got this

You're getting close to the free message limit for this month. Upgrade to Pushbullet Pro to send unlimited messages.

I think this made me as pissed off as one can possibly be. Are there free alternatives out there?

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
I just got this

You're getting close to the free message limit for this month. Upgrade to Pushbullet Pro to send unlimited messages.

I think this made me as pissed off as one can possibly be. Are there free alternatives out there?

I switched to Airdroid back when they first announced the new pricing, haven't regretted it for a minute.

Reckoner

If these leaked S7 renders are legit it's pretty disappointing. Almost the same design and still no dual front facing speakers. Meh.

They should make the device thicker and also add a bigger battery and remove the camera bump.

this_guy

If these leaked S7 renders are legit its pretty disappointing. Almost the same design and still no dual front facing speakers. Meh.

They should make the device thicker and also add a bigger battery and remove the camera bump.

I don't care for dual front facing speakers (means larger bezels) but I'll take a thicker phone for bigger battery. The Galaxy S6 Active size is fine and it boosted battery size from 2550mah of the original Galaxy S6 all the way up to 3500mah.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Slim bezels and a form factor suited for one handed use over front firing speakers and large bezels resulting in a tall phone.

If these leaked S7 renders are legit it's pretty disappointing. Almost the same design and still no dual front facing speakers. Meh.

They just redesigned the phone with the s6. Expecting them to deviate from that design very much seems a little silly.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I care more about front facing speakers on a tablet than a phone as a tablet is more of a true media consumption device for me.

Reckoner

I care more about front facing speakers on a tablet than a phone as a tablet is more of a true media consumption device for me.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Why would I want my phone speakers blasting away from me when I'm playing a game or watching a YouTube video?

For the same reason we have the screen pointed at our eyes, I want my phone speakers pointing at my ears lmao. Shouldn't be any other way. More so now that phones are not just phones but multimedia/Internet devices.

jwk94

Marshmallow is out for Moto X Pure/Style owners!

I just got this

Upgrade to MightText to avoid that crap.

wilflare

You can't go wrong with those three.

Just try them in store and see what you like best. Keep in mind that out of those, the Note5 takes some time to receive the latest updates, but Sammy is getting better at it and Touchwiz's Marshmallow is looking hot. It has unique and interesting features, though, like the S-Pen and note capabilities, and also rocks the best phone display on the market.

thanks! hmm I'm honestly considering the iPhone6S(+) this time round. but I'm not sure if I can get over the lack of customisation over (and no Dark Theme... noooo)

Note5 is high up on the list due to familiarity more than anything else... still looking out for more thoughts on the Nexus 6P though.

---
Note3 is finally back from the dead. followed a guide on XDA but turns out the PIT file in the guide corrupted my internalSD (I was trying to upgrade to Lollipop and keep my root)

- WhatsApp restore is crap (lost the timestamp on all my media) and the messages that came in while my phone was dead is all messed up...
- lost two weeks worth of SMS (last one was 21 Nov... would have lost this too if not for Titanium Backup)
- lost all my media files on my internal SD card (except for those that Google Photos and Dropbox managed to cloud backup) (e.g. Instagram Uploads, edited photos, etc)

arghhhhh

Updated to 6.01 on my OnePlus One. Seems smooth. I got another Nexus 6 laying around too that I got for an insane price that I also updated to 6.01. Speakers are legit on it, but still not a fan of the width of the phone or the screen.

-edit- I'm not a fan of most of the changes they made to existing emojis. Seems like they changed them for the worse.

This is going to sound weird coming from me but I've kind of transitioned from my X play so S6 in the past 2 weeks. I decided I'll use the phone my work gave me as my personal phone for a bit (I really hate 2 phones) and I'm satisfied enough with the performance/camera and most importantly the size that it is making me give up the battery of the xplay. Shit tier battery is the only negative but what can ya do. Upside is my next phone will be a step up in that regard no matter what :p

Of course I've nove prime'd the shit out of it but yeah. #blasphemy #diditForFaceless

Should last me until the iphone 7 comes out/next nexus though I'm learning toward the former.

Reckoner

That's not much of a surprise, Pyro. You had already hinted us of your secret loving for Sammy. 😉 I don't blame you though, you've got a phone with an amazing display there.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I haven't installed Nova yet on the Note 5. I haven't felt the need to do it yet. The new Touchwiz launcher is fine to me.

Fatalah

Any 2015 Moto X users out there? Marshmallow's rolling out this week -- looking forward to the updated performance tests. I miss you Moto! (New 5X guy)

That's not much of a surprise, Pyro. You had already hinted us of your secret loving for Sammy. 😉 I don't blame you though, you've got a phone with an amazing display there.
What can I say I'm the least biased there is. I gravitate to what's good.

I haven't installed Nova yet on the Note 5. I haven't felt the need to do it yet. The new Touchwiz launcher is fine to me.
I just prefer the look of stock and it also eliminates all hiccuping for me. Not that it happened but still. Some other her minor tweaks I find useful well. Love normalized icons and customizing grid size in the app drawer and whatnot.

Bloodember

Same here, I use to use Nova launcher by default on all my phones. Since i got the Note 5, i haven't even thought of istalling it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Oh don't get me wrong. The customization of Nova prime is awesome. I love it, but with the new Touchwiz launcher/themes, I honestly haven't had a reason to re-install it. Let's see how long this lasts, lol.

Saiyan-Rox

So close to ordering a pixel C :(

I knew this would happen and of course I didn't listen to muyself again lol

Wonder how long until they make a pixel phone.

wilflare

you guys are really making me consider the Note5

in any case, just curious how many do back-ups (and how much do you back up?)
or am I alone in being somewhat of a digital hoarder/archivist

---
on a separate note, how well does WhatsApp restore work for each of you?
can I back-up all my WhatsApp media to Google Photos (and not do WhatsApp's restore and still get per-convo media history to show up)?

I can see a few new ones but yeah. I'm guessing they will drop an update soon.

It seems like the ones that had previous emojis assigned to them are now updated to the new version, but the new ones that weren't there previously are missing in action without the updated keyboard.

thenexus6

I got Nova in the sale for 9p. I quite like it actually, i've always just been put GNL on and be done kinda guy. I wish you could change the back, home and multi-task buttons though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does Nova have Google now left pane?

Just watched MKHD video about the V10

Wow I didn't know about that 2nd screen thing....I kinda like that
It's p cool.

HigXx

So im thinking of moving into getting a Tablet and im kinda stuck between the Pixel C and the Z4 Tablet. Any recommendations?

Noema

---
on a separate note, how well does WhatsApp restore work for each of you?
can I back-up all my WhatsApp media to Google Photos (and not do WhatsApp's restore and still get per-convo media history to show up)?

Nope. Only by doing a backup within whatsapp can you get the media history on each conversation to show up.

Really the best way to backup whatsapp is via Google Drive. The apks in the all store don't support it yet I think but if you download it straight from their website and sideload you'll get it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So im thinking of moving into getting a Tablet and im kinda stuck between the Pixel C and the Z4 Tablet. Any recommendations?

Both are solid.

You should also check out the ASUS Zenpad 2 (4 gig ram model). It's slightly smaller than the Z4 and Pixel, but its still decent size. Plus the 4 gig ram model comes with 64 gigs of storage while being $200 cheaper than the Pixel C here in the states at least.

The main thing about the Pixel is you'll get updates faster. The Z4 supposedly is lighter in weight if that matters though.

wilflare

Nope. Only by doing a backup within whatsapp can you get the media history on each conversation to show up.

Really the best way to backup whatsapp is via Google Drive. The apks in the all store don't support it yet I think but if you download it straight from their website and sideload you'll get it.

I just tried the Google Drive backup... :/ it restored all my WhatsApp media to my internal storage... but the timestamp is all messed up :/ (is there any way to fix that)

and also... some of the messages that came in are unordered (it ended up being listed under one person when it's a group chat)

---
the notification priority settings in 5.0 Lollipop are really confusing me.
I wish there's a 5.1 XSP update for Note3 :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom