• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That could be huge though. Realistically majority of phones in the past 2 years have been just fine for the average user, so getting a big boost in battery could be significant.
I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, it's like Vanilla during a new Nvidia event.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I laughed cause how many years has it been that we've been hoping, wishing, and praying for that mythical battery jump that is always promised as just around the corner for android land. lol

I'll believe it when I see it. Otherwise, it's like Vanilla during a new Nvidia event.

I fully agree. That said LG seems to be doing a good job of keeping a large battery in there and with a reasonable resolution so with less consumption we might actually see an improvement make its way to the consumer rather than MORE THIN!

My phone got destroyed so my family all chipped in t buy me a 6P for christmas. They bought it off the the Huawei site instead of Google though. Anyone else get their phone from there? Wondering how long it'll take to arrive.

wilflare

My phone got destroyed so my family all chipped in t buy me a 6P for christmas. They bought it off the the Huawei site instead of Google though. Anyone else get their phone from there? Wondering how long it'll take to arrive.

I'm just curious though - since you phone got destroyed, how are you dealing with the loss of all your data/history/media and what not

Jigolo

Read the anand article on the 820. The chip looks fantastic so far with apps still unoptimized for Kyro and it's still putting up great numbers. Only thing we need to know about this chip now is the efficiency of it, hopefully it can maintain great performance as the A9 and 7420 can.

Fatalah

Question: Is there a downside to buying a 16gb Moto X and mainly relying on SD card storage?

Seems like an easy way to save money, with SD cards being so cheap...

Plus, Marshmallow is friendly with extra storage. Just wondering if there's a performance hit.

Budget phone of year

Bonus - BLU basically saying fuck you over and over again to Motorola: http://www.newson6.com/story/307141...e-in-the-market-outperforms-moto-g-3rd-gen-in

This shit is just comical. Phone is $99 from amazon until tomorrow. I might pick this up to replace my current back up phone, the Moto E which isn't getting Android 6.0 in the US (but the BLU phone is!)
really amazing phone for the price, only downside is mediatek, would be the best if they used a snapdragon 615

Saiyan-Rox

I don't usually have a ton of tabs open in Chrome, but it was working fine last night with a few full webpage tabs and a couple of apps open. Switching back and forth between them didn't trigger any redraws in Chrome. The only time it did redraw was because I the tablet sitting idle for about an hour and fired up Chrome which refreshed the tabs I had open. I've been using it most of the morning getting everything installed/onfigured and haven't had any sluggishness/stuttering at all. I already prefer it over my Nexus 9,

Thanks for that keep us updated on it's performance. i'm real close to buying one.

ukas

Thanks for that keep us updated on it's performance. i'm real close to buying one.

It still kept chugging along without any problems last night as well. It seems like the redraw problems are gone thanks to the extra GB of RAM compared to the N9.

Quixzlizx

Budget phone of year

Bonus - BLU basically saying fuck you over and over again to Motorola: http://www.newson6.com/story/307141...e-in-the-market-outperforms-moto-g-3rd-gen-in

This shit is just comical. Phone is $99 from amazon until tomorrow. I might pick this up to replace my current back up phone, the Moto E which isn't getting Android 6.0 in the US (but the BLU phone is!)

I'm really tempted to just get this to replace my N4 and wait to see what the best phone with an 820 will be next year.

It lists band 12 support, but anyone know whether it actually works with T-mo?

wilflare

my music and photos are backed up already. The only thing I'll really lose is my text messages.

I see. :( I lost my whole bunch of funny gifs/memes :( -all the other photos got synced- but still.

The lack of automatic Drive backup of SMS at this point is completely inexplicable.

Grrr.

ikr. (but does this happen with Hangouts as well)?

seems like I'll still stay with Android. leaning towards the Nexus 6P for now. but the Note5 remains a close contender for me

Well I ordered one of those blu phones. Hope I get it before Christmas so I can gift it. Also got a Huawei P8 lite in that I got for a steal on a Target pricing error.

this_guy

Well I ordered one of those blu phones. Hope I get it before Christmas so I can gift it. Also got a Huawei P8 lite in that I got for a steal on a Target pricing error.

How is that P8 lite? I thought it looked attractive for a budget phone. Just need to put Nova Launcher because Huawei seems to copy iPhone's no app drawer design.

Quixzlizx

Damn man Id kill myself if I had to use a N4 in 2015.

The battery life and camera suck, but I'm usually around an outlet at some point during the day, and the camera only became a problem when I had to start taking photos of receipts for business expenses. I almost never take pics with my phone otherwise.

It doesn't really hamper me otherwise.

How is that P8 lite? I thought it looked attractive for a budget phone. Just need to put Nova Launcher because Huawei seems to copy iPhone's no app drawer design.

Seems pretty nice just with a short time of playing around with it. Build quality feels premium. I installed google launcher and it fixes the app drawer issue. I'm not going to use it for an extended period of time because I'm gifting it, but for $59 it's a win.

Kevyt

I was going to ask this in the nexus 6p thread but I think I can get an answer faster here. So I got a nexus 6p and returned it because I was having some issues with it (audio issues and the phone would creak when handling it without a case), however now I got my money back and I cannot seem to re-purchase the nexus 6p?

Does Google block you from rebuying it once you return an item?

Edit: wow it looks like I've been banned from re-buying it... :(

Edit 2: Oh well it seems like they ran out of stock.

Jigolo

YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA

i can send texts again. somehow text messaging got disabled on my account without me ever touching it. must of been some kind of glitch with t-mo. 6.0.1 wasn't the cause and my N5 has never looked better

ana

Finally got marshmallow on my LG G4.. Had to use bridge because OTA isn't available.. Country is Finland.

And started trying chromium based browser thats optimized for snapdragon:
http://caf.notphenom.com
Don't know if it's been mentioned here before.

Saiyan-Rox

Yup

FqxaEDD.png

Keyboard will be ordered next week

yes i'm weak

Budget phone of year

This price is absurd. I'm tempted to pick one up just to play around with it even though it doesn't work on Verizon. If you travel a lot, it's the best dual-SIM traveler's phone I've ever seen at the $100 price point.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This price is absurd. I'm tempted to pick one up just to play around with it even though it doesn't work on Verizon. If you travel a lot, it's the best dual-SIM traveler's phone I've ever seen at the $100 price point.
It is a pretty sweet deal for that purpose. Hmm.

Saiyan-Rox

Has anyone ever tried Remix OS? It looks pretty interesting, feels like it would be a good fit for the Pixel C.

I saw a video on it and while it does look great I can't help but feel that these kinds of projects just vanish after a certain point.

if they make a version flashable for the C i'll try it out properly though.

Why they put Android on the Pixel C still baffles me though.

Exis

I bought a galaxy tab s2 8 on a lark prior to a trip. I think it is nice but not sure it is 400 dollar nice. Debating returning it and trying for the new sheild.

Fatalah

I'm debating returning my 5X and rejoining the Moto X family. Finding a few hardware shortcomings with the 5X:

1.) Just one front speaker, and it's tinny as hell
2.) "Ok Google" does not work with the screen off
3.) Nexus'ambient display is too "gun shy" compared to the Moto
4.) Spotty call quality
5.) Even with just a 5.2 inch screen, the 5X's poor screen to bezel ratio makes the Moto X almost the same size, even though the Moto X has a 5.7" screen

But the on the other hand:

1.) 5X low light photos are amazing
2.) Fingerprint scanner is so convenient and fast
3.) I'm on the latest Android, without having to earnestly wait

Quixzlizx

I ordered that Blu phone last night. I figure that it'll be a small upgrade on my N4 and get me used to larger screens while I wait for the 820 phones to come out, plus I can always use it as a travel backup due to the dual-SIM. It'll also theoretically be getting 6.0 at some point, unlike the N4.

mturco

I'm debating returning my 5X and rejoining the Moto X family. Finding a few hardware shortcomings with the 5X:

1.) Just one front speaker, and it's tinny as hell
2.) "Ok Google" does not work with the screen off
3.) Nexus'ambient display is too "gun shy" compared to the Moto
4.) Spotty call quality
5.) Even with just a 5.2 inch screen, the 5X's poor screen to bezel ratio makes the Moto X almost the same size, even though the Moto X has a 5.7" screen

But the on the other hand:

1.) 5X low light photos are amazing
2.) Fingerprint scanner is so convenient and fast
3.) I'm on the latest Android, without having to earnestly wait

Yes it does... or at least it does for me.

I have an issue and not sure if it's my Note 5 or all phones are like it.

I just got a FitBit which uses Bluetooth. I never have my Bluetooth enabled in any phone until now.

The Internet on my phone is REALLY slow when I have it enabled. Anyone familiar with this?

Bloodember

I have an issue and not sure if it's my Note 5 or all phones are like it.

I just got a FitBit which uses Bluetooth. I never have my Bluetooth enabled in any phone until now.

The Internet on my phone is REALLY slow when I have it enabled. Anyone familiar with this?
I have a Note 5 and i dont have this issue. Maybe its the fitbit? Does it slow down without the fitbit attached also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom