• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

I just tried the Google Drive backup... :/ it restored all my WhatsApp media to my internal storage... but the timestamp is all messed up :/ (is there any way to fix that)

and also... some of the messages that came in are unordered (it ended up being listed under one person when it's a group chat)

Yep, it'll mess up the timestamps either via Google Drive or manual back up.

Whatsapp is truly dreadful, backwards, clunky and annoying software. But we're stuck with it.

The December security update is rolled into 6.0.1 so I assume they'll push it via OTA as soon as they can.

Jigolo

wpj3SVI.png
Anybody getting this bug since updating? fuck

wilflare

Yep, it'll mess up the timestamps either via Google Drive or manual back up.

Whatsapp is truly dreadful, backwards, clunky and annoying software. But we're stuck with it.

The December security update is rolled into 6.0.1 so I assume they'll push it via OTA as soon as they can.

gah. that truly shucks but I guess I have to make do :(

I really need to get rid of some digital clutter instead of being some archivist ._.

this_guy

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...s-the-annoying-failed-mms-bug-in-marshmallow/

this AP story caught my attention because I have the same MMS bug, except I have 5.1 installed on my Moto X and I don't have Pushbullet installed. Is it really widespread?

My 2014 Motorola X started doing that after updating to lollipop, but when I switched to Textra things worked fine. Google's Messenger never worked correctly again for me on the X.

On the Nexus 5x I've had it happen occasionally, but rebooting the phone fixes it.

5x here, anyone having problems with Google now detection? It's not detecting when I say it, and when I activate it from the home screen or when the screen is on the dialog comes up but there's a loud short static noise and it stops listening to me. I haven't gone through any testing to try to fix it yet, but I just wanted to see if anyone's had the same problem on any other phone?

Jzero

love how fast the OTA came out this time. hopefully they keep this up.
I don't get why I get late ass updates with the last three Nexus phones I've owned. I wonder if it's a Google Account thing. The Nexus 6 I sold my sister just got the first Marshmallow update 😢

Groof

I don't get why I get late ass updates with the last three Nexus phones I've owned. I wonder if it's a Google Account thing. The Nexus 6 I sold my sister just got the first Marshmallow update 😢

considering i had to wait ages for my 6p to arrive it was nice

Fatalah

5x here, anyone having problems with Google now detection? It's not detecting when I say it, and when I activate it from the home screen or when the screen is on the dialog comes up but there's a loud short static noise and it stops listening to me. I haven't gone through any testing to try to fix it yet, but I just wanted to see if anyone's had the same problem on any other phone?

Have not experienced static noise with my 5X. I do have to turn the screen on in order for "OK Google" to be detected. My old 2013 Moto X would always pick up my voice without special coddling.

DagsJT

Anyone recommend a good podcast app that's free? I'm mainly going to use one to listen to Serial, not sure I'll listen to any others so not sure I want to spend out on Pocket Casts if I might not need the app in the future.

Groof

Anyone recommend a good podcast app that's free? I'm mainly going to use one to listen to Serial, not sure I'll listen to any others so not sure I want to spend out on Pocket Casts if I might not need the app in the future.
I used to use AntennaPod. Free, simple and worked great. But honestly Pocket Casts is so worth it

So im thinking of moving into getting a Tablet and im kinda stuck between the Pixel C and the Z4 Tablet. Any recommendations?
Well I have had a good experience with my OG tablet Z - and I want to upgrade soon, so if I were forced to pick today it would be the Z4. Sony have been reasonably good at keeping my tablet Z up to date.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I used to use AntennaPod. Free, simple and worked great. But honestly Pocket Casts is so worth it

Go with Antenna.

I love pocket casts, but I can see why one would be hesitant when Google announced Podcast support coming.

DagsJT

Meh, I just went with Pocket Casts in the end as reviews are so good and £2 from Google credit isn't too bad. Maybe I'll listen to more podcasts given that I've paid for it and feel like I should get some money's worth out of it. Thanks for the AntennaPod recommendations though.

this_guy

My Nexus 5x won't send / receive MMS pictures when I'm connected to wifi. Anyone got an idea why?

Try rebooting your phone. Mine had 2 instances where that started happening (first time was after an update) but a quick reboot fixed it for me. I'm on wifi all the time at home and have no issues sending mms.

hitgirl

Try rebooting your phone. Mine had 2 instances where that started happening (first time was after an update) but a quick reboot fixed it for me. I'm on wifi all the time at home and have no issues sending mms.

Ah, right. Usually does fix it with a reboot. I wonder why that happens..

ukas

How's the perfomance? i'm talking Chrome tabs and multitasking

That cursed Tegra

I don't usually have a ton of tabs open in Chrome, but it was working fine last night with a few full webpage tabs and a couple of apps open. Switching back and forth between them didn't trigger any redraws in Chrome. The only time it did redraw was because I the tablet sitting idle for about an hour and fired up Chrome which refreshed the tabs I had open. I've been using it most of the morning getting everything installed/onfigured and haven't had any sluggishness/stuttering at all. I already prefer it over my Nexus 9,

Vanillalite

Apple still wins in lightly threaded scenarios and for 90% of the apps out there that aren't games that where it matters.

That being said it seems to be a solid step above the 810, and they didn't notice any throttling.

On the flip side I'm trying to figure out what the difference is for the average user beyond maybe battery(lol I know). If anything the new DSP to help handle image processing could be a bigger deal than the CPU/GPU.

Hasney

Apple still wins in lightly threaded scenarios and for 90% of the apps out there that aren't games that where it matters.

That being said it seems to be a solid step above the 810, and they didn't notice any throttling.

On the flip side I'm trying to figure out what the difference is for the average user beyond maybe battery(lol I know). If anything the new DSP to help handle image processing could be a bigger deal than the CPU/GPU.

Battey should be better as long as the phone makers don't skimp or get even more resolution. The DSP block should help if you watch video on your phone too since it won't be taxing the CPU/GPU and help the battery even further.

But, quite frankly, Samsung and Apple have proven that the biggest win for any user will be speeding up the storage.

Vanillalite

Battey should be better as long as the phone makers don't skimp or get even more resolution. The DSP block should help if you watch video on your phone too since it won't be taxing the CPU/GPU and help the battery even further.

But, quite frankly, Samsung and Apple have proven that the biggest win for any user will be speeding up the storage.

This shit right here is truthfact.

AndyD

aka andydumi

That could be huge though. Realistically majority of phones in the past 2 years have been just fine for the average user, so getting a big boost in battery could be significant.

Vanillalite

That could be huge though. Realistically majority of phones in the past 2 years have been just fine for the average user, so getting a big boost in battery could be significant.

I laughed cause how many years has it been that we've been hoping, wishing, and praying for that mythical battery jump that is always promised as just around the corner for android land. lol

this_guy

I laughed cause how many years has it been that we've been hoping, wishing, and praying for that mythical battery jump that is always promised as just around the corner for android land. lol

The Galaxy S6 Active has a noticeable battery jump (3500mah vs 2550mah of the regular S6). I would gladly take the size but the phone is just ugly and has no fingerprint sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom