• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

Does the Nexus 6 display hurt anyone else's eyes? The screen is dim, but the colors are almost too bright on icons and in messenger, dialer, etc.

It annoyed the hell out of me when I got it for that very reason, but I've calibrated the display using a custom kernel so now it's acceptable, and the yellow tint is gone as well. It also enables a high brightness mode toggle which makes it readable under direct sunlight.

Speaking of the Nexus 6, I sort of like this phone:

nECB15ah.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
At this point I don't know what could really get me excited about the mobile space. I think most people with newer devices are at the point where shit just works.

Wreav

Banned
If the S7 doesn't have ultrasonic biometrics, still not seeing a compelling reason to choose it over the iWay. Camera bulge is negated by any good case, USB-C isn't exactly a feature so much as a requirement going forward, and SD...well...you all know how I feel about SD.

Had a chance to play with a 6P that wasn't locked down like it was in a maximum security prison. Feels real nice in hand. I actually think it looks and feels better than my 6+.

cocopuffs

Banned
Had a chance to play with a 6P that wasn't locked down like it was in a maximum security prison. Feels real nice in hand. I actually think it looks and feels better than my 6+.
Don't have a case/skin/screen-protector on mine and never will (well maybe screen protector)l. It's too nice naked.

It appears wave 2 has hit. Others who missed wave one are getting it.

I just got it to pop on my N7.

Check your shit if you are still on 6.0!

Still nothing, Rogers Canada Nexus 6P.

Is there any way I can force this without losing my data and telecom settings? Hopefully one method that wont impact future updates, keeping it stock.

Not sure why the performance is staring to go to shit. It started off with delays (I'm guessing it does this to make sure the animations are always smooth) and then it started giving black screen s for a few seconds (when switching between apps) and just acting sluggish in general. I guess Android is always going to be Android(even when stock) *sigh*. No matter how fast the CPU is. I'm pretty sure rebooting fixed it's but only temporarily.

Noema

OnePlus 2 Anandtech review:

Brandon Chester said:
After using the OnePlus 2 for quite some time and going over the results of my testing, I can't say I'm thrilled with how things turned out for OnePlus's second smartphone.

the OnePlus 2's display was one of the first things I realized represented a regression from the OnePlus One. Right when I started using the phone it was clear that the color rendition was not in line with what I have seen on recent smartphones. Measurements of the display confirmed that it's far too blue, and not accurate beyond matching the primary colors of the sRGB gamut.

Performance is another area where the OnePlus 2 is extremely disappointing. Snapdragon 810's issues are well documented at this point, but the OnePlus 2 ends up being the worst implementation that I've seen, with the Cortex A57 cores never being used at all in circumstances like web browsing or when navigating the UI. It makes the phone feel like a Moto E, which is something I remarked on before even realizing exactly what was wrong with the CPU's behavior.

the phone gets pretty great battery life. The construction of the phone is also quite good, with very few visible seams due to the type of back cover attachment method OnePlus has used.

As for the camera, OnePlus has put some significant effort into improving their image processing, and there's no longer any issue with chroma noise across the frame even in broad daylight.

the OnePlus 2 simply has too many flaws that can't be overlooked. [...] You have to settle for not having Quick Charge 2.0 support, and you have to settle for not having NFC which locks you out of Android Pay. You have to settle for a very poorly calibrated display which pales in comparison to the original. Most disappointing of all is that you have to settle for poor performance, when moving through the UI, browsing the web, and doing anything remotely CPU intensive. You have to settle for a great number of concessions, many of which didn't exist on the OnePlus One, and none of which should exist at this price point

this_guy

*Shuts off A57 cluster*
We fixed the Snapdragon 810 overheating!

#neversettle

Anandtech review said:
Unfortunately, even with a decent camera, good battery life, and a nice chassis, the OnePlus 2 simply has too many flaws that can't be overlooked. Like the original, the OnePlus 2's tagline is "Never Settle". Unfortunately, the OnePlus 2 does make you settle in many ways. You have to settle for not having Quick Charge 2.0 support, and you have to settle for not having NFC which locks you out of Android Pay. You have to settle for a very poorly calibrated display which pales in comparison to the original. Most disappointing of all is that you have to settle for poor performance, when moving through the UI, browsing the web, and doing anything remotely CPU intensive. You have to settle for a great number of concessions, many of which didn't exist on the OnePlus One, and none of which should exist at this price point.

Jigolo

What are the browser benchmarks so I can compare to vanilla Chrome

Edit: nvm shit takes 5 min to complete. It's good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom