• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Some fascinating graphs in the 6P review.
eff_575px.png
I'd love to know what makes the 810 A53s so much worse than the 808s. DDR4? You'd think that would be evident in the A57s, but the 810 beats the 808 there.

Either way it's pretty amazing seeing the 801 being so much better. I'd love to see the 410 there as well. Something has to be very messed up with the A53 implementation on the 808 and 810.
Great demonstrating of why you shouldn't treat the battery charge percentage as gospel. If you plugged it out just as it hit "100%" actual charge would have been closer to 90%.

No Love

Banned
I reset my G4 and now my battery life isn't atrocious, but I feel like all I did was reset a timer on bad battery life. As I install more apps, its only a matter of time before the crazy drain returns again. The G4 is such an amazing device, I'm trying my best to keep it. At this point in my ownership, I had already sold my Samsung phones because the issues and touchwiz just weren't worth the amazing cameras. But this phone runs so well, I'm trying to hang on, but damn, Google needs to rein in this situation with apps causing havok on perfectly good phones.

Have the same problem with my G4. Seems like the battery drain is nuts. It's my only complaint with the phone, everything else rocks. Try Greenify and see if it can help with the unknown drain.l

Also, using Debloatify to get rid of all the LG apps makes a big difference in speed + responsivensss.

SimleuqiR

Fucking hangouts.

I swear.

wtf Googy, I don't want to have to retrain my wife to use multiple apps.

I use hangouts every day and bar a few minor bugs it's fine. I mean what's the point of options in SMS where you can add multimedia? It just costs money to send. At least in hangouts you can quickly switch between WiFi and SMS.

Every time I read something new about Hangouts it's just disappointing.

get

I remember when Google Talk actually had many many users. Google pretty much threw that leverage away and fucked up a good service. Now no one uses what used to be "Google Talk".

No Love

Banned
Writing was on the wall for Hangouts to lose SMS if it indeed is. Why would Google have made the Messenger app if it wasn't planning on it?

It's total bullshit. I use Hangouts for all my texting. Google is such garbage at being consistent... they're like a little kid that throws away their old toys as soon as they eye a new one.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, I've had terrible luck with my Zenfone 2. The day after finally getting it back from RMA the same thing happened and it just died. I email Amazon, at a loss of what to do, and even though the purchase was long enough ago to be out of the return window, they give me a full refund. I'm very happy and won't be buying an Asus product again!

Here's the question; can I just plug my Zenfone 2's T-Mobile sim card into my next unlocked phone and just *boom* have my old number and be up and running? It can't be that easy, can it?

Also, opinions on the Alcatel Idol 3 (5.5" model)?

Saiyan-Rox

I wonder if Google want to go back to just segregating the network messaging with SMS or will they add network messaging to the messaging app and actually make it not confusing to use?

Even I'm confused and still don't know how to add people on Hangouts who have an android phone to use network over SMS. some friends are on there but they don't use it or understand how to either. Hangouts is a confusing as hell app.

this_guy

Guys, I've had terrible luck with my Zenfone 2. The day after finally getting it back from RMA the same thing happened and it just died. I email Amazon, at a loss of what to do, and even though the purchase was long enough ago to be out of the return window, they give me a full refund. I'm very happy and won't be buying an Asus product again!

Here's the question; can I just plug my Zenfone 2's T-Mobile sim card into my next unlocked phone and just *boom* have my old number and be up and running? It can't be that easy, can it?

Also, opinions on the Alcatel Idol 3 (5.5" model)?

Yes you can just swap your sim into another phone and you're done.

I've never used the Idol 3, but when it was released it was widely considered one of the best budget phones. The new Blue Life One X has also received positive press, it was released on a promo price last week at $99 but is now at its regular price $149.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0189RMNTG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's a comparison video vs the Moto G which gets praised for a budget phone: https://youtu.be/-Hu-IRqS2Q0

Also another good budget option I just spotted is the HTC Desire Eye. There's a company selling the AT&T model unlocked new for $199. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Desire-...hash=item2ca3aa2fd9:m:mSeY08TOXek9Br41CA6xkEQ

RuGalz

Just make a separate tab for sms/mms if user choose to not merge conversations then it probably would be less confusing.

Oh well, I guess as long as Voice is still integrated with Hangouts this wouldn't affect me.

teiresias

Really, the only reason I use Hangouts for SMS is because I use a Google Voice number and I don't think that's even supported by the regular Messenger app yet.

I've never really had issues using Hangouts for SMS though.

I only use Hangouts to message my son, who has a 2013 Moto X. Being able to see when he's seen a message is invaluable with an 11 year old.

Everything else is Google's Messenger app.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Yes you can just swap your sim into another phone and you're done.

I've never used the Idol 3, but when it was released it was widely considered one of the best budget phones. The new Blue Life One X has also received positive press, it was released on a promo price last week at $99 but is now at its regular price $149.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0189RMNTG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Here's a comparison video vs the Moto G which gets praised for a budget phone: https://youtu.be/-Hu-IRqS2Q0

Also another good budget option I just spotted is the HTC Desire Eye. There's a company selling the AT&T model unlocked new for $199. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Desire-...hash=item2ca3aa2fd9:m:mSeY08TOXek9Br41CA6xkEQ
Thanks so much! I'd been looking at the Blue but got turned off by the lack of SD slot. As it turns out I must have been reading about last year's model. This looks like a hell of a phone and I ordered it after reading some reviews.

The screen on the Zenfone 2 was always too big for my liking anyways. This is a bit more my size.

Again, thanks for tipping me off to the new model!

yyzjohn

Banned
I wonder if Google want to go back to just segregating the network messaging with SMS or will they add network messaging to the messaging app and actually make it not confusing to use?

Even I'm confused and still don't know how to add people on Hangouts who have an android phone to use network over SMS. some friends are on there but they don't use it or understand how to either. Hangouts is a confusing as hell app.

I don't see what's confusing about it at all. It's my primary messaging app, and I have sms and hangouts messages merged. Works perfectly for me, why does Google have to ruin everything?

The Nexus 6P along with the 5X are some of the first devices to come with USB Power Delivery 2.0, the official specification for device charging as opposed to more proprietary charger communication protocols such as those from Qualcomm (Quickcharge) or Adaptive Fast Charging that is used in Samsung chargers.
glad someone else is pointing this out.

lol...

there it is!

as expected.

Saiyan-Rox

I don't see what's confusing about it at all. It's my primary messaging app, and I have sms and hangouts messages merged. Works perfectly for me, why does Google have to ruin everything?

While that's good for you it's not for others.

I've told people about using Hangouts for network messaging but usually when they give it a try they have issues adding people for Hangouts over SMS and even I have issues trying to add people that way. it's easier if they have a G+ account but in my experience people just can't be bothered with it on Android.

I guess everyone has a different experience with things like this but it just feels messy to me

Quixzlizx

Could always you know, return it.

Yeah, but it wasn't the only item in my order, and I used both an Amazon credit and I got a $15 off of $60 AMEX credit on my cc statement from it, so it'll probably end up more trouble than it's worth to try and somehow reverse all of it and "get" the AMEX opportunity again.

Groof

Hangouts has been a mess since day 1. The SMS feature was always half assed and I stopped using it very quickly. Not surprising they're removing it.

zewone

I'm happy with my $199 Nexus 6. The Snapdragon 810's power efficiency isn't great this year. Let's see what the 820 can offer.

Coming from a N6 to OP2, the power difference between 805 and 810 isn't noticeable at all.

After playing with my $10 Moto E, I'm super impressed with what's possible with a budget phone.

As much as I'd like a 6P, I think I'm done buying flagships. The price vs performance difference just isn't worth it to me.

I also bought a Blu Life One X for $99 which seems like insane value for what it offers.

$200 is now my budget limit for an off contract phone.

this_guy

Coming from a N6 to OP2, the power difference between 805 and 810 isn't noticeable at all.

After playing with my $10 Moto E, I'm super impressed with what's possible with a budget phone.

As much as I'd like a 6P, I think I'm done buying flagships. The price vs performance difference just isn't worth it to me.

I also bought a Blu Life One X for $99 which seems like insane value for what it offers.

$200 is now my budget limit for an off contract phone.

I think the max I'll spend on a phone now is $400, but I'd rather spend in the $200-400 price range now a days. Mid range phones have good enough performance, but camera quality is where the flagships should shine. HTC A9 with a bigger battery and $100 less would be a great phone.

What do you guys use of you need to video chat on a Phone?

Facetime
Hangouts

yyzjohn

Banned
Hangouts has been a mess since day 1. The SMS feature was always half assed and I stopped using it very quickly. Not surprising they're removing it.

I barely use SMS, maybe 1-2 people I keep in contact with. Hangouts though I use extensively and have dozens of people I chat with. It works great and you can always see up to what point that the other person has read in the conversation. Also it's in sync from my phone to the web, I can't do without it. If I switched to that Google Messenger I'm expected to tell all my contacts to suddenly start using SMS?

Groof

I barely use SMS, maybe 1-2 people I keep in contact with. Hangouts though I use extensively and have dozens of people I chat with. It works great and you can always see up to what point that the other person has read in the conversation. Also it's in sync from my phone to the web, I can't do without it. If I switched to that Google Messenger I'm expected to tell all my contacts to suddenly start using SMS?
I was only talking about SMS

hutna

Got one of those 2015 Sony TVs with Android TV built in. Cool feature is dual shock 4 support. What are my best options for emulators on this thing?

(This is my first android device so I'm kind of noobish.)

Wondering if someone can help me out with an issue I'm having with contacts. I'm using a 5x.

So I have my main Google account and then I added my work Google account so that I can use Inbox to access work emails as well as personal email. In my Contacts app it displayed my work contacts as well as my personal but I was able to set it to only show my personal contacts in the Contacts app.

In the dialer, however, in the contacts section it still shows both sets. Is there any way to not display the work contacts in the dialer? There is nothing in the settings and I can't find anything on it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom