• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

What are the browser benchmarks so I can compare to vanilla Chrome

Edit: nvm shit takes 5 min to complete. It's good enough

That 5 minute benchmark is what I ran on my Galaxy S6. Chromium got 2200+ and the stock Samsung browser got 2800+. Chromium did feel snappier than Chrome but I didn't want to wait another 5 min to benchmark Chrome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
there's a data-saver option in the settings as well!

Where is the data going? Like who's running the bandwidth saving servers?

Edit: Appears to be Google, but idk how that works. Like why/how a 3rd party browser even if its Chromium based would be able to.

wilflare

Edit: Appears to be Google, but idk how that works. Like why/how a 3rd party browser even if its Chromium based would be able to.

I've read conflicting comments that the ad-blocker wouldn't work w the bandwidth saver
(some have also said that the ad-blocker helps to save more bandwidth than the bandwidth saver so idk)

JudgeN

I know this is old news but is it possible to put marshmallow concept on Xperia Z3v? Wife phone is having some issue and I thought it would be fun to wipe it with the new OS but I couldn't get it to work.

Completely noob question here:

If I own a Moto G 3rd Gen, but it's for Virgin Mobile (US), getting Android 6 on this phone is up to Virgin Mobile, correct? It looks like from my searches that Android 6 is out for other phone of the same model for other carriers.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Why wouldn't it?

Now that Pushbullet has become worthless for sending sms messages from a computer, what are the alternatives?

I really liked that pushbullet had a dedicated desktop app, so I could answer phone texts at work without logging in with my private Google account. Is there a similar program somewhere? Mightytext seems to rely completely on access to the Google account in order to work.

Hasney

Google wants that data. If course they'd include it in the source.

jwk94

MKBHD interviewed Kobe himself

Now that Pushbullet has become worthless for sending sms messages from a computer, what are the alternatives?

I really liked that pushbullet had a dedicated desktop app, so I could answer phone texts at work without logging in with my private Google account. Is there a similar program somewhere? Mightytext seems to rely completely on access to the Google account in order to work.

MightyText works very well for sending texts from your computer, far better than PB.

Corsick

Need to double check something really quickly, I'm going to buy the below phone (Note 5 N920G version) and wanted to confirm some things that I researched.

1) It will NOT work with wireless calling since it's not the T-Mobile version
2) It WILL have 4g LTE speeds on T-Mobile in the U.S., but it will say 4g as the rest of the world rolls LTE into the 4g indicator. (this one I'm really fuzzy on)
3) It will NOT support Samsung Pay.

Did I cover the major ones? I want an unlocked Note 5 in silver and this seems like the best deal. Any extra things I may have missed that I wouldn't expect? Never bought an unlocked device.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015JWLBJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: I said T-Mobile, but just to be clear this is an American carrier.

Just got the 6.0.1 OTA on my Nexus 6
Me too. It's very Hot Dog Taco Robot Jenks/Horns (Hm, guess editing a post on PC wipes out unknown Emoji).

It's a minor update, of course. Double tapping Power to go into the camera will probably be a useful shortcut. I'm probably more interested in that Now on Tap update that makes it easier to take screenshots.

Vanillalite

It's my birthday and I want to take the time to say thanks to all of the fun times you have given me throughout the year!

Thanks Android Homies!

yyzjohn

Banned
Finally cutting the cord and going cold turkey onto Inbox by Gmail. I'll see if I can make it work well for me with an honest chance this time. First time I tried it I lasted 2 days before going back to gmail ciient.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's my birthday and I want to take the time to say thanks to all of the fun times you have given me throughout the year!

Thanks Android Homies!
What tech thing did you get for your birthday?

Finally cutting the cord and going cold turkey onto Inbox by Gmail. I'll see if I can make it work well for me with an honest chance this time. First time I tried it I lasted 2 days before going back to gmail ciient.
I've never looked back from Inbox.

Jzero

They finally added the ability to swipe to delete so i switched completely.

Bboy AJ

People, please start using Now on Tap for screenshots. I'm sick of seeing your ugly, full notification bars.

My battery dropped rapidly at work. I check battery settings. Google play services at 15 or so%, then screen then cell standby at like 7%.

This is barely using my phone which was just sitting there with full signal lol.

/android

this shit is so annoying sometimes.

Vanillalite

My battery dropped rapidly at work. I check battery settings. Google play services at 15 or so%, then screen then cell standby at like 7%.

This is barely using my phone which was just sitting there with full signal lol.

/android

Had a problem last week where my shit was charging uber slow. Turned out to be a cable going bad, but I was like I hope it's not some weird Android bug.

Ixian

I tried this once months ago and went back to Gmail. That said, a recent Lifehacker article got me to retry it and now I'm fully onboard the Inbox train; I think my life has changed enough recently where the organization and other little friendly features about Inbox have become valuable to me.

wilflare

I tried this once months ago and went back to Gmail. That said, a recent Lifehacker article got me to retry it and now I'm fully onboard the Inbox train; I think my life has changed enough recently where the organization and other little friendly features about Inbox have become valuable to me.

which Lifehacker article is that?

Thanks Android Homies!

android-6th-birthday.jpg

jwk94

So i have a few Type-C questions:

1) How's Type-C fast charging different from what's offered for Qualcomm devices?
2) If I have a Type-C cable, do I need a special wall unit or port on my computer to charge my device properly or do I use it like any other usb cable?

Kuros

1) How's Type-C fast charging different from what's offered for Qualcomm devices?
2) If I have a Type-C cable, do I need a special wall unit or port on my computer to charge my device properly or do I use it like any other usb cable?

QC fast charge is 9V/1.6 amps where as the type c charging on the new nexi runs at the standard voltage (5V) but at 3 amps. Which is even higher than an iPad charger.

You can charge off any charger but unless you have one running at 3A you won't get full charging speed. You won't get fast charging speeds from a qualcomm charger as it will go to its 5V setting.

Note this is only for the current Nexi. The next round of phones may well be Type C with Qualcomm fast charge. It maybe that goog didn't want to pay the license.

the new spec allows for up to 100w (20a @ 5v) charging.

App;e and Samsung had their own fast charging tech in devices before Qualcomm put their marketing team behind that aspect of their business.

Bboy AJ

/android

Google Services is always my top drain, everyday. I'll have one hour of screen time and services will have drained 300 mah. I have zero clue what it is. I just uninstalled Timely. Maybe that'll help. I have no freaking clue but I'm really annoyed.

Vanillalite

Wrapping things up, we’re left with the question of the Nexus 6P is a worthwhile buy or not. Here I’d like to offer two conclusions, one for US users and one for buyers in Europe and the rest of the world. At a US price starting at $499 for an unlocked variant, it seems that the Nexus 6P hits a sweet-spot in terms of price-performance and is able to position itself very competitively against other devices. Google’s own services are also much more prevalent and far reaching in North America, so there’s definitely advantage of having a pure Nexus experience (Along with the non-carrier firmware advantage). Here the Nexus 6P is definitely a worthwhile purchase.

For regions outside of North America, and Europe especially, the Nexus 6P just seems an unreasonable device. Starting at prices from 649€, you would expect a device without drawbacks, and it’s simply not worth the premium over other devices, or at the same price you’ll be better off with an equally priced S6 Edge+ or Note 5 if it’s available in your region. Here, the Nexus 6P just simply doesn’t seem that attractive unless you’re putting a lot of weight into the Google Nexus experience, which I find to be a rather subjective aspect of the device. With Snapdragon 820 phones coming in just a few months there’s also the viable option to hold out for better alternatives as we're on the verge of a large generational jump that will undoubtedly bring a lot of improvements to the table.

NeOak

QC can go up to 20V. However, the device requires a bit more electronics to be able to handle that.

There is no difference in terms of basic charging. It's just that the Nexus does 5V up to 3A, and most chargers will do up until 2.4A.

The resistor in the Type C cable determines how much current can the power supply provide. That's why you need a Type C with a 56k resistor to indicate 2A. Otherwise it will burn the charger. Check for the reviews of that Google engineer and get a correctly specced Type C cable.

And seems they didn't bother to implement it. Microsoft did implement QC2.0 with Type C on the Lumia 950/XL, so it can be done.

Google Services is always my top drain, everyday. I'll have one hour of screen time and services will have drained 300 mah. I have zero clue what it is. I just uninstalled Timely. Maybe that'll help. I have no freaking clue but I'm really annoyed.

shit like this why I probably go iway for my phone in 2016. I'm just too tired to even deal with it or figure it out so I just let it happen.

Upside is factory resetting my nex9 seems to have improved that performance ten fold. Battery is still utter garbage but what can ya do. No joke it's like 3hrs screen on time. For a tablet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
shit like this why I probably go iway for my phone in 2016. I'm just too tired to even deal with it or figure it out so I just let it happen.

Upside is factory resetting my nex9 seems to have improved that performance ten fold. Battery is still utter garbage but what can ya do. No joke it's like 3hrs screen on time. For a tablet.

I reset my G4 and now my battery life isn't atrocious, but I feel like all I did was reset a timer on bad battery life. As I install more apps, its only a matter of time before the crazy drain returns again. The G4 is such an amazing device, I'm trying my best to keep it. At this point in my ownership, I had already sold my Samsung phones because the issues and touchwiz just weren't worth the amazing cameras. But this phone runs so well, I'm trying to hang on, but damn, Google needs to rein in this situation with apps causing havok on perfectly good phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom