• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Apple finally updated Apple Music. Shits finally not broken. You can listen to Beats 1 radio now without a gazillion errors about your Apple account being fubar.

Don't make up numbers.

People including reviewers always make up or post these #s which even if they might be factual lack context. It's like come on son.gif

RuGalz

While that's good for you it's not for others.

I've told people about using Hangouts for network messaging but usually when they give it a try they have issues adding people for Hangouts over SMS and even I have issues trying to add people that way. it's easier if they have a G+ account but in my experience people just can't be bothered with it on Android.

I guess everyone has a different experience with things like this but it just feels messy to me

What exactly is the usage pattern that is difficult to add people for hangouts? I've mix match the two all the time without any issue.

how do I lower the security settings on my lockscreen so that the message in the notification shows. I can't find it in the settings.

Settings->Sound & Notification->When device is locked for AOSP

RuGalz

It's the part when you ask people what their hangouts ID is and they reply "what the fuck is Hangouts?"

Not sure why you would need to ask for hangout ID. I start with SMS with a new contact and if the person has gmail (which I would then add to my contact) then they would have hangout chat (but may not be using it). If they don't use hangout chat just stick to SMS - nothing changes on my end.

I don't see it in the Google Play App Store. Anyone have any experience with emulators on Google TV?

I've only tried SNES9X on Shield TV, which worked great. But IIRC, the chipset used in the Sony TV are pretty mediocre and available apps in store is a bit wonky. You might have to side-load it.

hutna

I've only tried SNES9X on Shield TV, which worked great. But IIRC, the chipset used in the Sony TV are pretty mediocre and available apps in store is a bit wonky. You might have to side-load it.

Time to learn to side-load I guess. New to Android so still much to learn.

NeOak

the new spec allows for up to 100w (20a @ 5v) charging.

App;e and Samsung had their own fast charging tech in devices before Qualcomm put their marketing team behind that aspect of their business.
20A? What? You know how thick the cable would have to be?

You mean 20V at 5A with USB-PD. Type-C only does up to 3A.

And yes, there is a big difference from 20V to 20A. I fucking lol'ed.

Also, no. USB-PD has that. You're quite mistaken if you think the Qualcomm stuff is just marketing because that stuff is NOT part of the USB2.0 standard.

All of them need a chip to negotiate with the charger, which also has a chip, as to what current and voltage to use. Samsung's fast charging that can go in voltage is compatible with Quick-charge. But QC with up to 20V was first. The Apple shit was just lazy 5V with 2.1A.

20A? What? You know how thick the cable would have to be?

You mean 20V at 5A with USB-PD. Type-C only does up to 3A.

And yes, there is a big difference from 20V to 20A. I fucking lol'ed.

Also, no. USB-PD has that. You're quite mistaken if you think the Qualcomm stuff is just marketing because that stuff is NOT part of the USB2.0 standard.

All of them need a chip to negotiate with the charger, which also has a chip, as to what current and voltage to use. Samsung's fast charging that can go in voltage is compatible with Quick-charge. But QC with up to 20V was first. The Apple shit was just lazy 5V with 2.1A.

what i meant was fast charging existed and many people were just unaware of it until Qualcomm made a big deal about their version. not that theirs is just marketing, but that they gained mindshare from marketing, hence why people ask if X device supports Qualcomm's tech and not just fast charging in general.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Aren't Android phones supposed to automatically download your previously installed apps once you've logged in to a new phone? I just transferred from an HTC One M7 to a Note 5, and it isn't doing that. Pretty sure I had that feature on my HTC Evo 4G Shift when I bought the HTC M7, so I'm confused on how a 2015 flagship wouldn't do the same thing. I've already tried looking around in the google settings and account sync, too. Google searches are only giving me results from people who want to stop this from happening, which isn't gonna help me.

NeOak

what i meant was fast charging existed and many people were just unaware of it until Qualcomm made a big deal about their version. not that theirs is just marketing, but that they gained mindshare from marketing, hence why people ask if X device supports Qualcomm's tech and not just fast charging in general.

Qualcomm made a big deal because unlike the "fast charging" that existed, which was just making the device pull more current, their QuickCharge 2.0 actually can do up to 20V at 1.5A with USB 2.0. That required more than a simple short at the USB data pins.

Charging a battery is harder than just throwing current at it, unlike the "fast charging" you refer to.

Bloodember

Aren't Android phones supposed to automatically download your previously installed apps once you've logged in to a new phone? I just transferred from an HTC One M7 to a Note 5, and it isn't doing that. Pretty sure I had that feature on my HTC Evo 4G Shift when I bought the HTC M7, so I'm confused on how a 2015 flagship wouldn't do the same thing. I've already tried looking around in the google settings and account sync, too. Google searches are only giving me results from people who want to stop this from happening, which isn't gonna help me.
You have to turn it on under your account settings or sync or backup and reset. Well, it's in setting somewhere.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
You have to turn it on under your account settings or sync or backup and reset. Well, it's in setting somewhere.

That's the problem - I can't figure out how to force it to download everything even though I've scoured the account settings, forced a resync of the entire suite of google services several times, and the backup/reset only gives me the option to backup the Note 5, not restore from my cloud settings. My HTC One already has had the option enabled since I got the phone a few years ago. I'm trying to find a way to get it to trigger manually, since by all means, the accounts are synced.

Bloodember

That's the problem - I can't figure out how to force it to download everything even though I've scoured the account settings, forced a resync of the entire suite of google services several times, and the backup/reset only gives me the option to backup the Note 5, not restore from my cloud settings. My HTC One already has had the option enabled since I got the phone a few years ago. I'm trying to find a way to get it to trigger manually, since by all means, the accounts are synced.
I have a Note 5 and cant find it either. Not sure where it is.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have a Note 5 and cant find it either. Not sure where it is.

I went ahead and factory reset the phone, as the instructions found here seemed to imply it may only be available on first time setup. But it never gave me the option to restore from my google account, only Tap & Go (not what I want) and Samsung Account. It completely skips over the online restore function! But everything else is the same. Anyone have any experience with this? It's starting to get a little maddening.

Bloodember

I went ahead and factory reset the phone, as the instructions found here seemed to imply it may only be available on first time setup. But it never gave me the option to restore from my google account, only Tap & Go (not what I want) and Samsung Account. It completely skips over the online restore function! But everything else is the same. Anyone have any experience with this? It's starting to get a little maddening.
If you have to just go to the play store and under my apps and redownload them manually.

Saiyan-Rox

Why exactly is a phone launching in India such a big deal? Since last year all you hear is India this India that

Why? :S

Now they're asking if Android N can be named after an Indian sweet :S

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why exactly is a phone launching in India such a big deal? Since last year all you hear is India this India that

Are you hanging out on XDA again

Hey guys, first time posting here. Just wondering if anybody from UK & Europe has any experience buying a Note 5 on eBay? Phones like this? They ship from the UK and have good feedback so I'm wondering if I should jump on it? Thanks.

andylsun

Is anyone else having problems with idle battery drain on a Nexus 7 2013 with 6.0.1?

I loaded 6.0.0 as a factory image, and idle seemed good. The battery would last for many days if I didn't use the tablet (location off, nfc off, wifi scanning off etc). I sideloaded 6.0.1 and now I get less than 24 hours of idle before the battery is dead. Tablet Idle is still top of the list, but only consuming 100-200mAh.

I performed a factory reset of 6.0.1 yesterday and the drain at idle is still the same. Thinking I may just load the 6.0.1 factory image and start again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

They have a billion mother fucking people that's why.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Huawei Mate 8 is coming to the US:

hw_463080_575px.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9818/huawei-launches-the-mate-8-kirin-950

seems alright

Wreav

Banned
anyone here tried the GearVR with their Samsung devices? how's the experience?

I tried it at Best Buy on an S6, and it was no better than Google Cardboard. Had a really hard time getting it to focus well with the slider. The capacitive d-pad is super unintuitive, and the screen door effect is present despite the high DPI of the screen. Not impressed at all.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Like it so far. Much better than my Nexus 9 that it's replaced. Everything on it is an all around upgrade from the 9.
I mean, that's a given. The N9 was garbage from day one and hasn't improved since. Pixel C is what should have been.

Corsick

I received my new silver Note 5 in the mail today. It's a great device, slightly laggier than I imagined, but I'm being as critical as possible since it's a premium phone. The display is incredible and I'm officially converted to buying unlocked phones only. One big problem that completely killed my buzz and had me pretty irritated though: The screen came with a cluster/group of dead pixels. At least 10-15, and I never noticed until I started browsing some sites/apps with white backgrounds. I was so pumped for it and then that had to happen. I've already started my return with Amazon and will order another, I'm chalking it up to bad luck. Still a crappy way to start the weekend, but it's time to focus on something else for now and wait for the refund to go through in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom