• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
6P being a battery MVP? Huh. I wish Google Services didn't always kill me.

wilflare

the thought of having to change a new phone kinda bothers me sometimes
- need to get a tempered glass screen protector
- need to get a case (or are most of you using the phone as it is)
- plus transferring everything over, setting it up :O

Nakazato

Using Android pay today

Just bought a zenpad S 8.0 for 224 4gig version from amazon wearhouse deals.

After seeing the reviews I so worried about that bloat and the UI with no custom roms

I was surprised when he picked the 6P as his MVP since he kept saying how much he liked the Note 5. Touchwiz FTL

Honestly, it's probably because of overall performance, battery and also price was a big factor in it. So the best overall. I know I'm loving mine :).

this_guy

Just got my Moto X Pure (X Style for you international folks) delivered from Amazon's recent sale. Feels good in the hand and surprisingly smaller than I expected for a 5.7 inch screen.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The 6P is so old already. Why are people still talking about it? It's like the people still talking about Star Wars.

Nikodemos

Does anybody know whether Sony's Lollipop update removed support for the Dualshock 3?

I can't seem to pair my Xperia M2 with the DS3 anymore. It now asks me for a Bluetooth PIN.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google Star Wars Cardboard + Star Wars App =

giphy.gif

ctfg23

Whenever I try to send a text message I get "Can't send message with T-Mobile, error-1". Anyone know how to fix this? I have a Nexus 6 on MetroPCs if that makes a difference.

Edit: Just restarted my phone and it seems to be working now. Hopefully it stays that way.

coopolon

I've had a rough history with android. My first smartphone was a evo 4g, then an evo 4g lte. Both started great, but by the end of their two year contracts were very slow, unresponsive, stopped getting updates, and also had very poor internet connections. I also got a nexus 7 2012 when it released because the reviews were so strong, but of course within about a year that thing started really slowing down and it's now well known there was a serious hardware flaw with that device.

All the time I watch my wife use her iphones for 3 years and they don't seem much slower than the day she got them, same with her ipad. So this year I made the jump to iphone 6 and I like it a lot. But I do hate how it's so much worse using any non-apple app (google maps or waze of ios maps, overcast over podcast, google pictures over iphotos). I also hate the memory pricing.

I have to change carriers so I am thinking about going back to android. Looking at the nexus 5x or 6p. I'm not much of a gamer so I'm not sure I need top of the line specs and I really like the fingerprint sensor. The pricing is pretty awesome as well. I don't need anything miraculous in terms of battery life, just through a day with regular use. Is it reasonable to expect those phones to last 2-3 years without significant decreases in network performance or or hardware/software responsiveness? I know since they are nexus they will actually get good update support (unlike htc's shitty phones, they stopped supporting them less than two years).

Are there other phones I should be looking at? I can go to pretty much any network other than sprint.

Reckoner

I've had a rough history with android. My first smartphone was a evo 4g, then an evo 4g lte. Both started great, but by the end of their two year contracts were very slow, unresponsive, stopped getting updates, and also had very poor internet connections. I also got a nexus 7 2012 when it released because the reviews were so strong, but of course within about a year that thing started really slowing down and it's now well known there was a serious hardware flaw with that device.

All the time I watch my wife use her iphones for 3 years and they don't seem much slower than the day she got them, same with her ipad. So this year I made the jump to iphone 6 and I like it a lot. But I do hate how it's so much worse using any non-apple app (google maps or waze of ios maps, overcast over podcast, google pictures over iphotos). I also hate the memory pricing.

I have to change carriers so I am thinking about going back to android. Looking at the nexus 5x or 6p. I'm not much of a gamer so I'm not sure I need top of the line specs and I really like the fingerprint sensor. The pricing is pretty awesome as well. I don't need anything miraculous in terms of battery life, just through a day with regular use. Is it reasonable to expect those phones to last 2-3 years without significant decreases in network performance or or hardware/software responsiveness? I know since they are nexus they will actually get good update support (unlike htc's shitty phones, they stopped supporting them less than two years).

Are there other phones I should be looking at? I can go to pretty much any network other than sprint.

Just out of curiosity, what are the annoyances you're finding when using third party apps on the iPhone?

But yeah, what Bboy AJ said. You can't go wrong with Nexus.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If your a casual user I'd say just pick between the devices purely based on size. If you want a big phone get the 6X. If you want something smaller get the 5P.

this_guy

I'd take a look at the Moto X pure edition as well. I just got mine and I prefer it over the Nexus 5x which I used for about a month. Battery life is better (getting about 4.5 hours screen time vs 3 hours on the 5x) and I'm not seeing lag in Snapchat or the camera app like the 5x. I do miss the fingerprint sensor though.

Noob question here. I want to get the Nexus 6P and use my company phone's provided AT&T SIM for the next few weeks until I switch jobs, at which point I will no longer have the previous company's phone.

Will I be able to use the phone on a different network (e.g. Ting or Project Fi)? In essence, will putting in an AT&T SIM lock the phone to just AT&T?

coopolon

Just out of curiosity, what are the annoyances you're finding when using third party apps on the iPhone?

The apple apps are built into the operating system, but they suck. So if o say hey Siri give me directions to home it pulls up iOS maps, which is significantly inferior to google maps. Same for music, podcasts, etc.

I'm not sure if this is actually better on android, but I happen to prefer googles apps much more so it's less of an issue (I think there was a study recently hat way more people, even iOS users, use google apps.)

Is "ok Google" useable by other apps? I haven't found any non Apple ones that hey Siri works in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom