• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

The Galaxy s6 is noticeably faster than the Nexus 5x. The 5x also has lag when multitasking or using Snapchat. It's probably the worst performing phone I've ever used when it comes to snapchat. Stock android isn't the end all be all.

That has nothing to do with Stock Android. The Nexus 6P flies.

Husker86

The Galaxy s6 is noticeably faster than the Nexus 5x. The 5x also has lag when multitasking or using Snapchat. It's probably the worst performing phone I've ever used when it comes to snapchat. Stock android isn't the end all be all.
S6 is fast, but stutters in the oddest places. Just scrolling the Google Now page is janky where it's smooth on a Nexus 5 from 2013.

this_guy

Oh damn, really? Weird, my coworkers love theirs (and we're Android developers who use all kinds of Android devices). I went with the 6P, myself.

Over the last 6 weeks I've went through 2014 Moto X > Nexus 5x > Galaxy S6 > 2015 Moto X pure edition. The Nexus 5x isn't slow per se, but all of the other phones (including last year's Moto X) are noticeably faster. It lags though when multitasking. On a fresh boot it seems fine, but I had to reboot it every few days because it would bog down. I owned it for a month and also used it after the update to 6.01 so I had a decent amount of experience with it. If this phone was made by Samsung it would have been killed for the performance issues.

wilflare

is there a good way to check a Nexus phone when you get it? like some user-enabled diagnosis or what not.

or do you guess just get the phone. check for scratches and that's it?

NeOak

is there a good way to check a Nexus phone when you get it? like some user-enabled diagnosis or what not.

or do you guess just get the phone. check for scratches and that's it?

Do a hail mary and use the shit out of it before the return window passes.

wilflare

So this app Chromer, is pretty damn dope. It opens all links in Chrome custom tabs, even if the developers of the apps you use haven't implemented the feature yet. It's so much faster than using the regular Chrome app, but you still get your passwords, history, cookies, all that jazz since it's essentially still Chrome.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/22/chromer-opens-all-of-your-links-in-a-chrome-custom-tab/

I wonder if the Snapdragon-optimised CAF will include such functionality. would be very useful (or does it already do that)?

wilflare

Sounds like home :D

What do you mean? I had checked for that stuff, but I don't think there is a user enabled diagnosis.

Do a hail mary and use the shit out of it before the return window passes.

there's no return window policy in my part of the world. if anything is wrong after you get the phone, you go straight to the Huawei Service Centre :(

hmm. like what do you guys look out for?
is there like a code like *#1234# or something that you key in (at least for Samsung phones) where you can check certain things, etc

Zoe

It's so annoying how Play Music always restarts songs now. At least give us an option to start where you left off :\

tzare

Was this posted? Google planning a new smart messaging app according to WSJ.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-plans-new-smarter-messaging-app-1450816899

this is gonna be the one guys!!!!1!

edit: and a sick burn because why not:

JzB3khf.jpg

google just need to tie the messaging app to phone number by default, and in case not available, use gmail account. If they do that by default, with the millions of android devices out there all will be ready to go from day one.

They also should see what features from other messaging apps are popular and put them there from day one, and add a few ones that may be interesing(animated gifs which whatsapp lacks for example and ease of use from other platforms like PC).
I hope they leave sms behind too.

Gottcha, this is my first Samsung phone, so I'll see how it goes. So far it is the best phone I have owned. I'll see how much I like it come October 2016, which will be one year of ownership.
do not worry. Samsung is evil to some. I've owned a Note 4 for a year and it is a fantastic device. Updates have made it even better. My wife's aging S4+ is also running well, and better than my nexus 5 (both have same SoC).
Sure some people have issues, and since samsung are probably the most popular phones, that makes it more relevant and frequent, especially on low or mid range devices.

ctfg23

I hate how google music doesn't show the full album art. It's always cropped in.. I just don't get it.
I hate how the lockscreen wallpaper becomes the cropped album art as well. I don't understand how anyone could think that looks good, let alone better than showing the full uncropped artwork.

kami_sama

I hate how the lockscreen wallpaper becomes the cropped album art as well. I don't understand how anyone could think that looks good, let alone better than showing the full uncropped artwork.

I think it looks better than the uncropped artwork. Black bars would look worse.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google.

yyzjohn

Banned
google just need to tie the messaging app to phone number by default, and in case not available, use gmail account. If they do that by default, with the millions of android devices out there all will be ready to go from day one.

They also should see what features from other messaging apps are popular and put them there from day one, and add a few ones that may be interesing(animated gifs which whatsapp lacks for example and ease of use from other platforms like PC).

do not worry. Samsung is evil to some. I've owned a Note 4 for a year and it is a fantastic device. Updates have made it even better. My wife's aging S4+ is also running well, and better than my nexus 5 (both have same SoC).
Sure some people have issues, and since samsung are probably the most popular phones, that makes it more relevant and frequent, especially on low or mid range devices.

Oh good, another messaging app. They'll be back to 3 with Hangouts, Google Messenger and this new one! Good times!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Messaging is hard. Apparently.

Give us a new open source protocol where developers can make apps that tap into it. Like a new xmpp

wilflare

hmm is there a way to prompt the 6.0.1 update without having to set up my phone etc?
(I just got the 6P today... would prefer to do the update, factory reset, then set up my phone proper)

EmiPrime

Snapdragon 808 is too underpowered to run stock Android?

There's more to a phone than that. The Nexus 5X uses software encryption but shoddy NAND quality that can't keep up from what I remember.

Again, what does mediocre hardware have to do with stock Android?

S6 is fast, but stutters in the oddest places. Just scrolling the Google Now page is janky where it's smooth on a Nexus 5 from 2013.

Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 are hero devices. So glad I chose them!

What I don't understand is that my LG G4 has the same hardware and runs super fast, never lags. Difference in throttling logic?

That might be part of it too. The 5X runs a lot cooler than the Nexus 5 2013.

SimleuqiR

Was this posted? Google planning a new smart messaging app according to WSJ.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-plans-new-smarter-messaging-app-1450816899

this is gonna be the one guys!!!!1!

edit: and a sick burn because why not:

JzB3khf.jpg

Google Talk is back bitches!

As I just posted elsewhere, I hope the name is super awkward. It's not weird enough to have to ask people "hey, can you Hangouts me?" I want to ask them to sign up for Google Play Digigram+ All Access.

Google Talk is awkward enough.

Google didn't want to spend the cash on Whatsapp. They thought somehow Hangouts was going to be able to compete.

I do agree that using a mobile phone # to authenticate a person on a service like Whatsapp is possibly the easiest fastest way.

Messaging is hard. Apparently.

Give us a new open source protocol where developers can make apps that tap into it. Like a new xmpp

None of the big boys (Apple, Google, Facebook, etc) want to share an open platform. It's all about taking the biggest piece of the pie and not share it. An open standard is unlikely at this point, at least it won't come from any of the big corp guys. Best case scenario (or worst depending who you ask) is that everyone buys an iPhone and then we just have iMessage.

this_guy

There's more to a phone than that. The Nexus 5X uses software encryption but shoddy NAND quality that can't keep up from what I remember.

Again, what does mediocre hardware have to do with stock Android?

You bash touchwiz just because you love stock Android, and I pointed out stock Android isn't the end all be all. I prefer stock, but touchwiz now a days is fine. The hardware on the 5x should be fine - I've used phones with lesser hardware that didn't struggle with Snapchat or multitasking like the 5x does.

It's not just about the looks (frankly that's the least of Touchwiz's problems) performance greatly suffers too with these OEM customisations and it delays Android updates for those devices.

This is you making up stuff about performance.

Went ahead and picked up the 6P. Couldn't help myself.

Now I just wish I could figure what to do about my Nexus 9. I really don't like that thing, but I use it daily. It's such a shitty device that I wasn't able to update the software for months. Been stuck on 5.1.1 until today when I finally buckled down and adb updated it to 6.0.1. Maybe it'll work better now.

EmiPrime

You bash touchwiz just because you love stock Android, and I pointed out stock Android isn't the end all be all. I prefer stock, but touchwiz now a days is fine. The hardware on the 5x should be fine - I've used phones with lesser hardware that didn't struggle with Snapchat or multitasking like the 5x does.

This is you making up stuff about performance.

If you think the S6 stutters, slow update releases and the constant RAM purging despite having 3GB are made up and you want to ignore the 5X's well documented hardware issues and blame it on stock Android then great, you do you. I don't care to change your mind.

this_guy

If you think the S6 stutters, slow update releases and the constant RAM purging despite having 3GB are made up and you want to ignore the 5X's well documented hardware issues and blame it on stock Android then great, you do you. I don't care to change your mind.

Performance wise S6 destroys the Nexus 5x. I'm not blaming stock Android but calling you out for baseless claims against Touchwiz. Again I prefer stock (my current phone is the Moto X pure edition) but I don't spout nonsense about other phones I don't use.

As far as updates go this isn't an argument that anyone brought up. Everyone knows if you want updates you go Nexus or iPhone and bypass carrier restrictions. Google couldn't update the Galaxy Nexus without Verizon interfering.

Nilaul

I'm probably gonna update my phone to the newest Moto G (for free); as my first Gen Moto was probably the best phone I ever owned in terms of reliability.

However I am also considering a phone with a stylus. Which phones have a stylus like the Note?

krae_man

My X Play just got Marshmallow! Liking it so far. I lost some of my shortcuts on my home screen for some reason. Took me a second to remember what they were :lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom