• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DagsJT

Not a big fan of the fingerprint sensor in the back. Could be that I'm not used to it. Just doesn't feel natural since I don't hold my phone that way.

I miss the fingerprint sensor from the back of the 5X, it felt a lot more natural to me than the home button on the S6.

I have no idea where this talk of 5X lag is coming from. I've done side by side testing of my 5X against my wife's 6P and performance has been about identical except for the camera app.

I didn't think I'd like a rear-facing fingerprint scanner but the position grew on me using the Nexus 5X. You can just pull the phone out of your pocket and with the way the scanner is positioned my finger would land on it so the phone is unlocked as soon as it is out of my pocket. That's more natural than having to position my thumb to unlock the phone on a front scanner and you also don't have to sacrifice bezel to make it happen.

Saiyan-Rox

Had the horrible touch screen issue on my Pixel C that has been doing the rounds

Swiping would just cause touches to happen and the whole tablet because of this was unuseable. Did reboots and a factory reset to no avail and then suddenly it just started being fine again.

Only thing I can think of is there's a dodgy hardware part inside that is temperamental, a software issue even though I factory reset or when I got home and this is the first time i've4 had this issue the whole tablet was fricken freezing and I mean seriously cold so maybe that screwed the screen up?

this_guy

I have no idea where this talk of 5X lag is coming from. I've done side by side testing of my 5X against my wife's 6P and performance has been about identical except for the camera app.

It's coming from the camera app like you just said. Snapchat is horrible on the 5x. It will work ok on a fresh boot, but if I didn't reboot my phone every couple of days it becomes unusable. We're talking like 3-5 second delay response times when trying to press the back button when I'm in Snapchat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsizmmWmUAI

In Pocketnow's video review they mention lag around the 9 minute mark of the review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeCr8geSnDQ

In this review starting around the 6:20 mark they go over some of the lag as well.

Trouble

Banned
Got the OTA 6.0 update on my 2014 Moto X yesterday. Seems very similar to 5.0 from what I've seen so far. Most of the changes are pretty subtle. Maybe I just need to wait for apps to start using 6.0 features before I'll notice more differences.

MarkusRJR

I need some help.

My G4 keeps changing accuracy to high accuracy mode by itself. It all started happening when I accepted a Google based prompt asking to anonymously store location data to load apps like maps faster.

Is there anyway I can get it to stop changing back to high accuracy mode?

Sorry to ask, but what are the issues the S6 has? I didn't keep up with Android news until very recently since I went back to iPhone last year.

Wait is that it? I mean it's not like you don't know what you're getting with a Samsung device.
There's really no negatives with the S6 outside of aggressive RAM management, but I'm not sure if that's been fixed in an update or not. Of course, there's still the fact that updates are slow, but I'd wager that's a minor thing for most people. Everything else like TouchWiz vs stock, size of phone, etc. is completely subjective.

Edit: Not actually in issue, but if you're someone that's into custom ROMs and whatnot, an Exynos-powered device is not your friend.

There's really no negatives with the S6 outside of aggressive RAM management, but I'm not sure if that's been fixed in an update or not. Of course, there's still the fact that updates are slow, but I'd wager that's a minor thing for most people. Everything else like TouchWiz vs stock, size of phone, etc. is completely subjective.

Edit: Not actually in issue, but if you're someone that's into custom ROMs and whatnot, an Exynos-powered device is not your friend.
the battery life is garbage

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Mindwipe

Well, that comes down to individual usage, doesn't it? I'm sure battery life is great for many people.

No, the battery life is objectively garbage.

If there are people who do not use their phone enough for it to be a huge issue for them then they could buy the likes of a Z3C and have *astonishing* battery life, so the S6 would still be crap in comparison in that regard.

(Lovely camera though.)

Well, that comes down to individual usage, doesn't it? I'm sure battery life is great for many people.
I'm not even sure I use my phone THAT much. On my iphone the subway ride to work would take my battery from 100 to 100 or 99 at worst doing nothing but listening to music for 45-55 mins. On my S6 it goes down to 90-94%. Just from music. Anything that uses location will drain your battery literally by the minute. The display eats that juice like there's no tomorrow as well.

I can't say I do anything other than text, emails, music, and browse the web. I could drop to 50% effortlessly. With any medium to heavy usage it will only last to the halfway point.

Chris R

So, quick Marshmallow question... how do I get my phone to always pick "MTP" over "Charging Only" when I connect a USB cable that's plugged into my computer?

Setting the value in the developer options doesn't seem to stick.

reKon

Banned
Just saw the G4 leak on reddit. The device sounds great on paper

5.2" vs 5.1" screens
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/LG-G2,HTC-One-A9,Samsung-Galaxy-S6/phones/7969,9733,8997

LG G2 vs Nexus phones
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Nexus-5X,LG-G2,Google-Nexus-5/phones/9593,7969,8148

If they get the dimensions right, I might just buy me a G5. LG G2 remains the GOAT

I need links.

Also, everytime I've heard of downsize rumor, it ends up being for a shitty mid range phone. Please be real.

EDIT: nevermind I found it. 5.3 inches is till too big, sorry.

Jigolo

I need links.

Also, everytime I've heard of downsize rumor, it ends up being for a shitty mid range phone. Please be real.

EDIT: nevermind I found it. 5.3 inches is till too big, sorry.

Is the screen size too big or would you say the size of the phone is too big. Because those are not mutually exclusive.

Here is the iPhone 6S compared to the G2

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6s,LG-G2,Samsung-Galaxy-S6/phones/9501,7969,8997

Almost the same size and the G2 has a bigger screen

Caleb187

The caf snapdragon browser by jswarts linked a few pages back is amazingly snappy, at least on the gaf mobile site. Switching between gaming and offtopic is pretty much instant with this browser. Have noticed a few bugs though. Hope they get ironed out because this is such a better browsing experience (with a snapdragon soc) vs default Chrome.

Jigolo

The caf snapdragon browser by jswarts linked a few pages back is amazingly snappy, at least on the gaf mobile site. Switching between gaming and offtopic is pretty much instant with this browser. Have noticed a few bugs though. Hope they get ironed out because this is such a better browsing experience (with a snapdragon soc) vs default Chrome.

What phone are you using?

reKon

Banned
Is the screen size too big or would you say the size of the phone is too big. Because those are not mutually exclusive.

Here is the iPhone 6S compared to the G2

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6s,LG-G2,Samsung-Galaxy-S6/phones/9501,7969,8997

Almost the same size and the G2 has a bigger screen

doesn't matter. LG isn't going to hit the dimensions I'm looking for. Whatever they did with the 5.3 inches will be impressive for it's overall size, but it's going to be a bigger body than I want.

Just saw the G4 leak on reddit. The device sounds great on paper

5.2" vs 5.1" screens
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/LG-G2,HTC-One-A9,Samsung-Galaxy-S6/phones/7969,9733,8997

LG G2 vs Nexus phones
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Google-Nexus-5X,LG-G2,Google-Nexus-5/phones/9593,7969,8148

If they get the dimensions right, I might just buy me a G5. LG G2 remains the GOAT
By the time I'm ready to upgrade my Note 4 (probably in a year or two) I'm afraid there won't be any high-end android phones that still have a removable battery.

The G5 rumor mentions the body being all metal and probably not having a removable battery, and Samsung has already taken it away with the Note 5 and S6.

Im sure it's a rarely used feature and that's probably why it's getting taken out in favor of making everything a millimeter or two thinner, but it's still a feature that I prefer to have.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yep. But I wish LastPass would work on it.

No Love

Banned

Agreed. Blows other browsers away. Pages load as soon as I click the link.

wilflare

do you guys still root your phones (Nexus 6P)? and install things like TWRP, etc?
I rooted my Note3 (mainly to remove the Samsung bloatware) but seeing less of a reason to root the 6P now (can't do OTA update with root too :/)

Bboy AJ

do you guys still root your phones (Nexus 6P)? and install things like TWRP, etc?
I rooted my Note3 (mainly to remove the Samsung bloatware) but seeing less of a reason to root the 6P now (can't do OTA update with root too :/)
Not anymore.

I still root my phone for the sole reason of installing an ad-blocker on it. There really isn't anything else I need root for, and unfortunately because of how Android works, doing ad-blocking without root access can be very cumbersome.

I can't really think of anything else I use root for these days, even disabling bloatware is built into Android now though you would need root to actually delete it. Deleting it doesn't accomplish anything though since the system partition isn't used to store user data or apps anyways.

3phemeral

There's really no negatives with the S6 outside of aggressive RAM management, but I'm not sure if that's been fixed in an update or not.
Currently on 5.1.1 and the memory management is still aggressive. I'll be on Jefit while at that gym, listen to music, then browse neogaf during rest breaks and my music will cut out. Even with just those three apps, seems it needs to cut something and it chooses Google Music because it was the last one I "interacted" directly with, even though I'm actually listening to it still.

Supposedly Marshmallow fixes this.

L.O.R.D

OMG , the new update for m9 gave him super power

CW_BI1TWkAAIp_1.png

CW_BJUZWEAA1O5Q.png

wilflare

Not anymore.

That's my thought too. But I'm reading that it may be still good to unlock the bootloader, install custom recovery (do nanodroid backup and EFS backup too).

I still root my phone for the sole reason of installing an ad-blocker on it. There really isn't anything else I need root for, and unfortunately because of how Android works, doing ad-blocking without root access can be very cumbersome.

I can't really think of anything else I use root for these days, even disabling bloatware is built into Android now though you would need root to actually delete it. Deleting it doesn't accomplish anything though since the system partition isn't used to store user data or apps anyways.

I guess you use TWRP?

oh we can now disable bloatware? is there a specific toggle or is it built into the App Manager?

hmm. I need ad-blocker mainly for websites but with CAF, there isn't much of a need right?

are you guys using Xposed as well (or is it not ready for Marshmallow)?

Looking at this guide - I'm not sure if I want to constantly restore the root each time there's a OTA update (unless I use Flashfire?)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3206928

I'm so used to using Odin and Mobile Odin that all this is a little confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom