• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just sold my Nexus 6. Definitely going to go down in history as the black sheep of the Nexus line. I liked it, though. Overpriced, not a true Nexus, subpar screen, and an impossibly difficult to use camera. Still cool, though. Its size and heft were a lot of fun.

kami_sama

Just sold my Nexus 6. Definitely going to go down in history as the black sheep of the Nexus line. I liked it, though. Overpriced, not a true Nexus, subpar screen, and an impossibly difficult to use camera. Still cool, though. Its size and heft were a lot of fun.

Well, it wasn't conceived as a nexus phone. It was going to be a Moto X Pro. But because Android Silver was cancelled, google needed a nexus phone to release.

Mindwipe

how is the chromecast compared to screen mirroring?

i'm using screen mirroring with my s6 to my samsung hdtv and espn app looks sometimes choppy on my tv, but smooth on my phone screen. all apps are closed except for espn.

im using a nighthawk router so i can't imagine it being my connection.

If the app has native Chromecast support far better because the device isnt required to re-encode in real time (indeed, after starting the stream the device doesn't touch the video stream at all, its delivered directly to the Chromecast.

If the app doesn't have native support then the Chromecast is effectively operating as a miracast receiver anyway, with a few additional proprietary extensions (some of which are based on WebRTC) and will be re-encoding in exactly the same way with subsequent pq and framerate loss.

Laekon

Is there a way to move txt messages in hangouts to a new phone? Nexus 5 to 5X. Everything I can find about it is out of date.

Already having issues with my 5X. Like why are txt messages in the message app and not hangouts? I should't have to invite someone to hangouts to use it to send txt. I didn't set it up this way and I didn't even know there was a separate message app outside of hangouts. WTF would Google have 2 apps for the same thing?

kami_sama

Is there a way to move txt messages in hangouts to a new phone? Nexus 5 to 5X. Everything I can find about it is out of date.

Already having issues with my 5X. Like why are txt messages in the message app and not hangouts? I should't have to invite someone to hangouts to use it to send txt. I didn't set it up this way and I didn't even know there was a separate message app outside of hangouts. WTF would Google have 2 apps for the same thing?

You can change the default sms app in the settings. In the More tab, there a way to change the default app.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
If the app has native Chromecast support far better because the device isnt required to re-encode in real time (indeed, after starting the stream the device doesn't touch the video stream at all, its delivered directly to the Chromecast.

If the app doesn't have native support then the Chromecast is effectively operating as a miracast receiver anyway, with a few additional proprietary extensions (some of which are based on WebRTC) and will be re-encoding in exactly the same way with subsequent pq and framerate loss.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense. EPSN watch doesn't seem to have a native casting app.

I have a question, the lock screen widget for Pocket Casts looks like this:

RymNxx3.jpg

So I can only pause and skip forward 30 seconds but if I want to rewind 10 seconds, I expand the widget by pulling down slightly and:

dJ0Yabf.jpg

The lock screen pattern prompt comes up over the widget and I can't tap on the rewind button. Is there something I'm overlooking or is the only way to rewind from the lock screen to not have a lock pattern or pin on the phone? This is 5.1 Lollipop, by the way.
Antenna Pod does the same thing in Marshmallow. I think it's just a api thing that needs changing there thing use for thier apps.

Hey guys! I'm looking to buy a Chromebook, but I have no idea what's the best these days. I want it to be relatively small, inexpensive, and I might install Ubuntu on it. No clue yet.

I hear that the ASUS Flip is really good, but I've had a shitty experience with my current ASUS tablet (I sent it in for repair four times... also it's slow now)... I don't really trust ASUS devices as a result. Do you guys know what might be best?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Alright, who got some cool Android stuff
I got one of those Dragon Touch Windows 8/Android combination tablets. Just now getting to the Android side, which runs 4.4.4. Not bad, but what a feeling going back a few versions of the OS... 🙄

Going to do some more hunting on whether anyone has successfully gone to 5.0 yet while retaining all the other functionality. The hard part appears to be the custom app on each side which handles the OS booting.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does anyone know why deleted photos from the Downloads folder still show up ass missing files in some applications?

E.g. I have 5 photos in the downloads folder, I delete 3, but then if I open Line or Facebook Messenger and choose to send a photo from the download folder, the 2 remaining photos appear, along with 3 "error" files representing the deleted images.

Caches have been cleared and also Downloads says it's using 0kb of data despite housing a few pictures, so not sure how to get rid of those deleted files.

e: Was fixed by rebooting device, still kind of annoying.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yo we got tooo much micro usb shit in my house.

If I were to but a 3rd party micro usb charger what should I buy? Doesn't need to be fancy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, finally sold my iPhone 6S Plus. I just let it sit for months unopened. It's kind of depressing letting it go. It's a pretty awesome piece of hardware.

I probably should have used it for a bit. Oh well. 6P carry me home.

kami_sama

This thread has an alarming density of people with everchanging phones.
I'm happy with my phone right now, and I don't I'll change it until Christmas next year, most probably.

Vol5

Thought I might post this in here instead of making a new thread.

My wife has a wierd problem with all her mobile phones. She's been through 4 so far. Apple 4s, 2 newer samsungs and she's now using an LG G3.

Basically her battery discharges at an alarming rate. It's rediculous. It's fully charged by morning then by around 12 or 1 its drained. The Samsungs used to shut off randomly. I have no idea what's causing it. I asked she get a new sim but that hasn't helped.

Is it likely that this has something to do with her tariff and signal? The telecomms provider aren't helping and insist its the battery but clearly something else is causing it. Any ideas GAF?

Fyi she's not a heavy user. Bit of a browse here and there but mostly sending and receiving a few texts. By comparison my G4 last all day and I'm a heavy user.

kami_sama

My wife has a wierd problem with all her mobile phones. She's been through 4 so far. Apple 4s, 2 newer samsungs and she's now using an LG G3.

Basically her battery discharges at an alarming rate. It's rediculous. It's fully charged by morning then by around 12 or 1 its drained. The Samsungs used to shut off randomly. I have no idea what's causing it. I asked she get a new sim but that hasn't helped.

Is it likely that this has something to do with her tariff and signal? The telecomms provider aren't helping and insist its the battery but clearly something else is causing it. Any ideas GAF?

Fyi she's not a heavy user. Bit of a browse here and there but mostly sending and receiving a few texts. By comparison my G4 last all day and I'm a heavy user.
IS she using Facebook? If so, that's probably the culprit. You can try to use gsam battery stats to see exactly what's causing the drain.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Minecraft Story Mode is on sale for 10c, is it just for the first episode or the season pass?

Nvm,found my answer in the reviews. Only first episode.

I'm happy with my phone right now, and I don't I'll change it until Christmas next year, most probably.
I haven't had too many. I think I've switched between maybe 4 phones in the last year.

it's 100% an app she's using. No other explanation that would cause it to happen over multiple devices. Probably facebook/instagram/combination of social media apps constantly running in the background eating all her battery up. There are battery usage stats on iOS and Android. What did they say?

Facebook.or absolutely awful signal reception.

pronk420

So I'm considering picking up a bigger phone (iPhone 5 at the moment), and was considering android. Basically I'm thinking either nexus 6p or note 5, possibly s6 edge plus.

I've read bad things about lag on the Samsung ones, I used an S2 for a long time so I know it can be bad, but then people are saying both they lag and its iOS smooth about the Samsung phones this year....

I also tried a demo nexus 6p and it had really bad lag, struggled to scroll webpages smoothly (I compared the same page on my iPhone 5 and it was perfectly smooth), and there was a really irritating delay of almost a second after pressing an app before it launched. Compared to what I have read about the phone it made me think perhaps the demo software or unit just had issues? Is the long pause with no feedback before apps launch a standard thing on android? I forget what it is like.

Is there another good phone I'm missing? In the Uk so I can't try out the note 5.

I change my phone only every 2-3 years. Well this year might be an exception of the Note 6 is amazing and has a microSD slot.

Bboy AJ

So I'm considering picking up a bigger phone (iPhone 5 at the moment), and was considering android. Basically I'm thinking either nexus 6p or note 5, possibly s6 edge plus.

I've read bad things about lag on the Samsung ones, I used an S2 for a long time so I know it can be bad, but then people are saying both they lag and its iOS smooth about the Samsung phones this year....

I also tried a demo nexus 6p and it had really bad lag, struggled to scroll webpages smoothly (I compared the same page on my iPhone 5 and it was perfectly smooth), and there was a really irritating delay of almost a second after pressing an app before it launched. Compared to what I have read about the phone it made me think perhaps the demo software or unit just had issues? Is the long pause with no feedback before apps launch a standard thing on android? I forget what it is like.

Is there another good phone I'm missing? In the Uk so I can't try out the note 5.
Get the 6P.

kharma45

I wouldn't bother with the Note 5 unless you really need the one. S6 Edge Plus is mucho sexier and is available here.

Bboy AJ

I wouldn't bother with the Note 5 unless you really need the one. S6 Edge Plus is mucho sexier and is available here.
He can do that but he better not come back here later whining about how shitty Android is because he's using an S6.

get the 6S+

pronk420

thanks for the advices, is the lag I was seeing on the 6P normal or was there just something up with the demo unit?

S6+ seems to be a reasonable price now compared to when it launched, so that makes it more attractive.

kharma45

thanks for the advices, is the lag I was seeing on the 6P normal or was there just something up with the demo unit?

S6+ seems to be a reasonable price now compared to when it launched, so that makes it more attractive.
sounds like a demo issue. The one I tried with O2 seemed snappy.

Zapages

Hi guys are there any good deals on Android smart phones with a stylus?

I am looking for my Father. He would like to have a stylus and a micro sd slot.

Any good recommendations that are reasonably priced?

Noema

Bought Xcom: Enemy within today since it was on sale. I love having pretty much a full version of one of my favorite games of last gen on my phone. But damn if it doesn't drain battery like there's no tomorrow. Went from fully charged to 93% after just the tutorial mission. 😅

Hi guys are there any good deals on Android smart phones with a stylus?

I am looking for my Father. He would like to have a stylus and a micro sd slot.

Any good recommendations that are reasonably priced?

Maybe get him a Galaxy Note 4? They can be had for less than $400 these days.

What does he need the stylus for?

Zapages

Bought Xcom: Enemy within today since it was on sale. I love having pretty much a full version of one of my favorite games of last gen on my phone. But damn if it doesn't drain battery like there's no tomorrow. Went from fully charged to 93% after just the tutorial mission. 😅

Maybe get him a Galaxy Note 4? They can be had for less than $400 these days.

What does he need the stylus for?

My Father would like to write things while he is at work. Also he has seen how useful that the stylus is on my note 4.

Are they brand new for 400 dollars or are they refurbrished /used?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bluetooth really is the fucking shit.

After getting a new car with BT and now having some cheap BT earbuds along with a portable speaker idk how I could go back to wired.

NomarTyme

Bluetooth really is the fucking shit.

After getting a new car with BT and now having some cheap BT earbuds along with a portable speaker idk how I could go back to wired.

Amen. I went with bluetooth option for work because one time I snagged my phone and dropped the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom