• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

I still don't know why there's different versions for each market.
Also, expect to see more and more heat pipes on phones. Doesn't mean the SoCs will be less optimized. Only that they won't throttle as much, which is always a good thing.

i guess it is due to fabrication and distribution agreements and things like that,probably makes sense financially, because otherwise it is hard to explain (especially considering that developing updates for different hw versions is usually a problem )
The issue with heating pipes is how durable will smartphones be in the future, and, how will this affect battery life as heat usually means that SoC uses too much energy ...

We will see. Interesing times ahead , like old times Qualcomm vs Exynos vs.... Mediatek? Even LG are developing their own SoC and Google is rumoured to do the same.
Btw, any neews on dedicated HW for encryption? that is one thing Apple did right and needs to be solved.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Why don't the Barclay apps work on Android?

I open them and they instantly close.

Had the same problem with my S4 before I got an iPhone.

Hasney

Hm, well had a look on Google and it seems that they have trouble after every major Android/iOS release and have to fix something. They're usually just quicker iOS as they have more users there. Other issue is that fixing it for the new OS occasionally breaks it on the old OS too.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hm, well had a look on Google and it seems that they have trouble after every major Android/iOS release and have to fix something. They're usually just quicker iOS as they have more users there. Other issue is that fixing it for the new OS occasionally breaks it on the old OS too.
Ah. I'll just use the apps on my phone then. Always in my pocket anyway.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Those of you with the S6/Note 5/Edge Plus, what screen mode are you guys using? I've been using AMOLED Cinema since forever, but recently changed it to adaptive display today. I've tried basic and AMOLED photo, but those two modes look so washed out.

Those of you with the S6/Note 5/Edge Plus, what screen mode are you guys using? I've been using AMOLED Cinema since forever, but recently changed it to adaptive display today. I've tried basic and AMOLED photo, but those two modes look so washed out.
whatever default is

Bloodember

Using adaptive display.

they go with Snapdragon for USA/China because of Qualcomm's extensive cache of CDMA patents

810 was so bad they opted to roll with their own at their own expense rather than sacrifice performance to save a few bucks..

they go with Snapdragon for USA/China because of Qualcomm's extensive cache of CDMA patents

810 was so bad they opted to roll with their own at their own expense rather than sacrifice performance to save a few bucks..

No one is certain how good 820 is, but possibly having heat issues with a 2x2 core configuration can't be good.

Saiyan-Rox

Have a mate who is constantly trying to get me to buy an iPhone and move to the iWay

Why? so she can iMessage me instead....lol we talked about it for a while and I did agree it is a better performing device the home screen is messy af, the icons are boring and it's Apple.

But i'll admit I was more tempted than I have been...See what happens this September coming when the 7 launches

snacknuts

we all knew her
Have a mate who is constantly trying to get me to buy an iPhone and move to the iWay

Why? so she can iMessage me instead....lol we talked about it for a while and I did agree it is a better performing device the home screen is messy af, the icons are boring and it's Apple.

But i'll admit I was more tempted than I have been...See what happens this September coming when the 7 launches

In the near-constant and unyieldingly-inexplicable praise I see for iMessage, devotees praise the fact that it doesn't matter if the person you're messaging is using iMessage or it's just a text. Why does she care if you use iMessage or something better (i.e., any messaging service that is not exclusive to one ecosystem)?

do it brah...go into the light. But yeah gotta wait for the 7. You guys seen them christmas activations:

ChristmasCharts_manufacturer.png

LG below nokia lol rip

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't wait to buy an iPhone 7. Watch Apple crack dslr quality photos this time around.

Ty4on

I can't wait to buy an iPhone 7. Watch Apple crack dslr quality photos this time around.
lol

I thought it was just corrupted, but I see now that Chrome and Google Photos mess up high res images so they look like crap zoomed in. Sucks because I like checking out lens reviews and everything looks sharp on a 5 inch display.

Groof

lol

I thought it was just corrupted, but I see now that Chrome and Google Photos mess up high res images so they look like crap zoomed in. Sucks because I like checking out lens reviews and everything looks sharp on a 5 inch display.

it's ok AJ has always lived in his own bubble of delusion

Saiyan-Rox

do it brah...go into the light. But yeah gotta wait for the 7. You guys seen them christmas activations:

LG below nokia lol rip

I've spent so much time and money in Android is seems silly to jump over. I'm quite happy with Android and always have been but the lack of proper testing from Google for the OS (meaning Nexus here) and their lack of proper tablet support is the main annoyances for me. Oh the OTA rollout stuff is another bitch.

Even had to RMA my Pixel C due to its touchscreen being a bitch and for a £400 tablet I'd expect QA to be top ffs

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You think they can surpass Samsung and LG this go around?
Yes. There's an article somewhere that agrees with my thinking. I can't find it right now but I've wrote the below on this before awhile back:

In 2013, Apple bought a 3D-sensor company named PrimeSense for somewhere between 350,000,000 and 360,000,000 dollars. As Apple acquisitions go, that’s huge. Only Beats (the foundation of Apple Music at $3bn), NeXT (the deal that brought Steve Jobs back for $400m), and AuthenTec ($390m that manifested itself in Touch ID) were bigger.

And yet, over two years later, we don't know what happened with PrimeSense’s technology. This is from Apple, a company famed for immediately integrating bought tech into its products asap. And a company whose mobile chips are incredibly fast. Fast enough to do special things with software and image processing.

Two lenses. One for a large depth of field. Another forjjdepth perception. Apple could simulate the looks of different size lenses with different depths of field — all by having as much clarity as possible in the source input and the computing power to simulate the changes in focus in extraordinary quality.

"PC guys aren't going to just walk in"

I'm calling it. Again. Like I always do and end up being right. If you're with me, start borrowing against camera companies and be rich.

Ty4on

Fake bokeh still has a long way to go as does 3D depth perception. Ray tracing the path through an optical system is incredibly hard to compute and every contemporary solution just masks areas of the image and applies varying levels of blur. That way you can't easily fake stuff like this:
Where the masking would stick out.

The issue with high depth of field is it comes at the cost of diffraction and current cell phone cameras are already diffraction limited so increasing DoF would mean blurrier images. You can't really have your cake and eat it there unless you work around like taking multiple picture at different focus points and stack them, but then you can't photograph anything moving.

if it's so good why doesn't it just work? why do you have to buy a whole 'nother device for it to work?

Groof

aluminium is such a cop out "colourway." it's like they didn't even bother and just send it out unfinished. graphite or frost is the only way to go. unfortunately since huawei hates us we never got frost so i'm on graphite and it looks slick.

Samsung and LG gonna make mad bank soon. Apple close to signing an OLED deal for future iphones (targetting 2018 aka iphone 8). LG has got to be happy about that.

The deal would involve spending almost $13 billion over the next two to three years to ramp up production of the new screens. The report adds that Apple will also be providing some funding to both companies as part of the deal.

Should fund their android endeavours :p

Bboy AJ

I have frost.

Samsung and LG gonna make mad bank soon. Apple close to signing an OLED deal for future iphones (targetting 2018 aka iphone 8). LG has got to be happy about that.

Should fund their android endeavours :p
I wonder who was behind that deal.

yogloo

I just bought a redmi note 3. This phone is sick. This is my first xiaomi and I am extremely impressed. The modifications they made for Android are actually pretty thoughtful and useful. 3gb of ram made a huge difference on multitasking. For the amount of money, this phone is insane value.

As far as I can tell. The weak point of this phone is the camera. Indoor pics are way worse compared to my z3c. But of course it is to be expected.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/30/l...isplays-and-camera-lenses-hardware-expansion/

The all-metal handset will borrow elements from past G-series devices as well as LG’s most recent flagship, the V10, while also bringing several new features to the table, the source said (who asked not to be named because the information is not yet public).

Besides the metal enclosure, perhaps the most distinctive feature of the 5.3-inch G5 — slightly smaller than the 5.5-inch G4, but with the same 1440 x 2560 QHD resolution — is the alleged secondary “ticker” display, first seen on the larger, 5.7-inch V10. VentureBeat understands that this smaller, 160 x 1040 pixel screen will be one of the company’s headline features across its 2016 lineup, appearing on multiple devices.

Dual displays aren’t the only unique feature tipped for the Android Marshmallow-flavored G5. The device is said to be powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 system-on-a-chip, along with the same 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage found in the G4. Whereas the V10 is equipped with two camera lenses in service of its front-facing selfie camera, the G5 is said to utilize a dual-lens configuration on the rear, giving the main 16-megapixel camera a 135-degree wide-angle capability, the source said.

In between the two lenses is a circle with a quartet of elements in a square configuration, according to the briefed individual, who was also shown images of the upcoming flagship. Two of those are LED flash bulbs, while another one is a laser for assisting with autofocus, first deployed on 2014’s LG G3. The fourth element is also found on G4: a so-called RGB sensor to further assist with auto focus and other scene recognition functions.

The G5 selfie cam will maintain the same eight-megapixel resolution as the G4, the source said, although no aperture was mentioned (G4 has an f/2.0).

Finally, in what’s being described as a greater push into the high-margin accessories market, LG is said to have endowed the G5 with what’s being branded as the “Magic Slot.” While its physical incarnation isn’t very clear, it is said to enable some functional expansion by way of hardware modules. The examples we were given range from an array of specified cameras — action, 360 VR, “party” — to an audio amplifier to a physical keyboard.

It brings to mind the Springboard expansion slot in Palm-acquired Handspring’s Visor line of PDAs, one of whose modules enabled it to function as one of the very first smartphones.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Interesting.

Still sporting a G2 and really like my sister's G4 so a G5 with an 820 and finger print sensor seems like a great combo. LG is the king of small bezels and great performance as far as I can tell.

The G5 sounds really good especially if they do move ahead with the smaller size. I only hope LG scales back their software because right now it's considerably worse than TouchWiz and the biggest weakness in their phones.

this_guy

I only hope LG scales back their software because right now it's considerably worse than TouchWiz and the biggest weakness in their phones.

In what way? It doesn't look like stock Android but it doesn't hamper performance. The Nexus 5x is stock Android but that phone lags and has performance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom