• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I disagree with even more ports on a phone also that dual display shit isn't worth it, at least they're trying something. Better than flailing on your way down like samsung.

thuway

I'm such a punk, I'm still waiting for the Nexus 6p to drop another 50 bucks :/. I can't justify the price because I know I'll need the 128gb model with Nexus Protect. I wish this was on carriers sigh.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Expandable hardware is a nerd's dream that no one else actually cares about. Looking forward to closing that chapter soon.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So I'm currently on an iPhone 6, and have been for about a year and a bit but I'm starting to get quite sick of Apple's bullshit updates breaking stuff. The worst part is I can't do much to solve some of the issues I have with the OS because of its closed nature, and something I'm missing dearly from the Android sector.

I've been eyeing off the Oppo R7 lineup, which here in Australia can run up to $599 with the Plus. Has anyone here used one/have any feedback on the R7 or R7 Plus? I've read a number of reviews and I'm at the point where it'll only be a matter of time before I click buy, but figured I'd get some impressions from here first.

So I'm currently on an iPhone 6, and have been for about a year and a bit but I'm starting to get quite sick of Apple's bullshit updates breaking stuff. The worst part is I can't do much to solve some of the issues I have with the OS because of its closed nature, and something I'm missing dearly from the Android sector.

I've been eyeing off the Oppo R7 lineup, which here in Australia can run up to $599 with the Plus. Has anyone here used one/have any feedback on the R7 or R7 Plus? I've read a number of reviews and I'm at the point where it'll only be a matter of time before I click buy, but figured I'd get some impressions from here first.
That sounds a lot like Android to me...

3phemeral

Finally got my hands on a 2015 Chromecast and Chromecast Audio. The Audio units were all sold out here in Grand Rapids. They were able to find a unit a few towns over so I pre-purchased the unit for pickup.

That Android Police article is a bit confusing, though. Says both the Video and Audio are eligible for the $20 offer? On top of that, they also say it's only offered to Chromecast purchases from the Google Play store, which isn't true because I just redeemed $20 for my Video unit from Best Buy. Can't seem to get any offer other than promos for Spotify and Google Play Music for the Audio one. Was hoping to get $20 off the Audio unit too, but I've been lucky enough today as Best Buy had anb expired $15-off promo for buying the Audio + Video, but they still honored it and apologized for having the advert still posted on the kiosk.

Was anyone able to get $20 credit for both Audio/Video units?

HowZatOZ

Banned
That sounds a lot like Android to me...
I guess both are susceptible to breaking updates but I'm also just sick of Apple in general. For the first few months of getting the iPhone 6 it was bliss but that quickly faded to annoyance and just general apathy of the system. At least with android my experience can be customised to suit my needs.

So I bought a 2nd generation MotoG since my phone broke and I have to say Android runs pretty damn well on lower-end hardware. This phone feels great at $100 aside from the lollipop WiFi issues, so hopefully Marshmallow comes out in January.

Jzero

Anyone know if T-Mobile's prepaid plans are throttled? I've always had spotty service even though all the surrounding areas are "green" zones. This has happened with my Nexus 5, 6, and 6P. I'm thinking of going for Google Fi.

Edit: It might be a placebo but my data speeds seem better after changing my APN to IPv4/IPv6 from IPv6 only.

Groof

So earlier tiday, my nexus 5 is stuck on booting loop out of nowhere, it's now fixed though. Any reason why it happened and how to prevent it to happen again?

could be the power button getting stuck. very common issue.
did you have to plug it in to see it bootlooping?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So earlier tiday, my nexus 5 is stuck on booting loop out of nowhere, it's now fixed though. Any reason why it happened and how to prevent it to happen again?
Happens to every single Nexus 5. It's happened to mine, too, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Quixzlizx

I have a really annoying problem with my new phone. I use Llama to change profiles when I'm at home/work at certain times, and I use silent when I go to sleep. However, in my new phone (Blu Life One X), Llama is activating "no interruptions" mode when it activates the silent profile, which is bad because "no interruptions" includes no alarms. My old Nexus 4 didn't do this, and I have identical Llama and notification settings on both. Both are also on Lollipop. The only difference I can think of is that Llama was installed before Lollipop on my old phone.

I basically just want silent mode, except for alarms. I've already tried activating the "change alarm volume" option in the silent profile in Llama and making sure it was a number other than zero, but that didn't help, either.

android tablets aren't really worth the money so definitely samsung tab S2. It'll get the job done at half the price.

The Tab S2 and Pixel C are the same price are they not?

The S2 seems to have fairly bad battery life. Does anyone here have one? How are your experiences thus far? Same with Pixel C people. Anyone here using one? (I have no desire to use the keyboard)

The Tab S2 and Pixel C are the same price are they not?

The S2 seems to have fairly bad battery life. Does anyone here have one? How are your experiences thus far? Same with Pixel C people. Anyone here using one? (I have no desire to use the keyboard)
if they're the same price then get the pixel c. I didn't think they were. I'm also canadian where pricing is endlessly stupid these days so there's that too. Google lately has had trouble optimizing tablet hardware for some reason. Nexus 9 was an absolute mess. I've read lots of reports of the pixel c hiccuping and all that as well. These shouldn't be problems.

Ah well.

Saiyan-Rox

if they're the same price then get the pixel c. I didn't think they were. I'm also canadian where pricing is endlessly stupid these days so there's that too. Google lately has had trouble optimizing tablet hardware for some reason. Nexus 9 was an absolute mess. I've read lots of reports of the pixel c hiccuping and all that as well. These shouldn't be problems.

Ah well.

Performance wise i've had no issues on the Pixel C. No Chrome refreshing and no apps closing on me like on the N9. But it's a better CPU and more RAM.

I did have a dodgy touchscreen on my first model but so far the replacement is fine.

Software wise is it's biggest issue thought and Google need to address it now they have a proper first party tablet they need to see that the phone UI is no good on a tablet and thankfully I think they're begining to see that with the movement of the nav buttons.

Here's hopeing that Android N sorts the rest out.

Mindwipe

Put it this way, if they're the same price there's more chance of the software getting significantly better on the Pixel C than there is the S2.

Though to be honest if you just want it as a reading device you may be able to get cheaper - the Sony Z2 will probably cost you a lot less and got Lollipop, might even get Marshmallow.

Put it this way, if they're the same price there's more chance of the software getting significantly better on the Pixel C than there is the S2.

Though to be honest if you just want it as a reading device you may be able to get cheaper - the Sony Z2 will probably cost you a lot less and got Lollipop, might even get Marshmallow.

Probably because the software on the S2 is already tablet friendly.

Groof

it's 4 am and i've got some pretty damn nice fireworks footage off my 6p. happy new year, android gaf. here's to yet another skip year.

Bboy AJ

Pfft, right.

It's crazy the amount of crying that goes on in this thread.

People in the iPhone thread don't tolerate this kind of garbage posting. Hate Android? Fine. Do it elsewhere.
You post little in here yet tell us what our thread should be. Fascinating.

Where'd you get that from?

You make a ton of negative posts regarding Android. Beyond criticism. Criticism of the platform is obviously fine. I have my own as well. Sometimes the negativity reaches insane levels, though.

Again, maybe you're doing a bit. If so, I apologize for missing it. I know you're not the only one with the negative outlook either. You're just the only one that responded.

Posting from my new, minty fresh, shit-tier Nexus 5X.

What gallery app did quickpic users flock to after the whole debacle where it was sold to a shady dev? Should I just continue to use an older version if I want a lightweight local storage gallery app?

Also, is there a feature in marshmallow to lower the top half of the screen like I've seen people do with newer iPhones?

Toki767

I got a Gear VR yesterday. It's seriously impressive. The Netflix app alone just makes you feel like you're watching a movie on a 70-80" TV.

Quite a steal at $100 for anyone with one of the 4 Samsung phones that use it. The S7 better support it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom