• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Your shopkick app failed me on check-ins to both Marshalls/TJ Maxx (they are in the same building, so maybe they haven't worked out the kinks on that one). That's 125 points gone right there.

It did work at best buy though, but I don't like how you open this app up at the entrance for anything to register. Why can't it be anywhere in the store? I also don't like how my phone tell me that the shopkick app prevents it from going into stamina mode. If app needs to be somewhat active during the day, why the fuck isn't the check-in process more automatic? What's the point of it staying active in the background during the day then?
He got his referral points from you signing up. He doesn't care anymore.

No matter what I do, I can't get Spotify music to download on my SD card.

I followed Spotify's official guide for it and it didn't work. My file explorer says the files are on my SD card but the used space is increasing on my phone still. Could anyone help me figure this out?

Just take it to a Verizon store.

I've had mine since October and don't have that issue, of course mine is on AT&T. Sounds like a hardware issue though.

Try a factory reset first though, might work.

always start with factory reset

if that doesn't solve it maybe it's a problem with the sim slot/card. But try the reset first.

I switched back to normal default theme and so far haven't had it all day. I can't tell if that's a coincidence or just lucky so far.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try a reset if it happens again

Noema

No matter what I do, I can't get Spotify music to download on my SD card.

I followed Spotify's official guide for it and it didn't work. My file explorer says the files are on my SD card but the used space is increasing on my phone still. Could anyone help me figure this out?

Try uninstalling the app, clearing the cache and then using a file Explorer to delete the folder com.spotify.mobile.android.ui and then reinstall Spotify.

Try uninstalling the app, clearing the cache and then using a file Explorer to delete the folder com.spotify.mobile.android.ui and then reinstall Spotify.

Did that, still don't download to it. I downloaded an app that could tell me the read/write status of each drive, and it said that the SD card was read only, no writing. That doesn't really make sense since I can download shit and delete it and transfer it back and forth between Internal and the card. Bit its the only thing I can think of stopping the app from saving to the card.

Would you recommend formatting the SD card?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone use the Vodafone smart prime 6 or smart ultra 6? My son is looking for a new phone to replace his old lumia 520 and these two are on the shortlist. The ultra gets great reviews but is a big phone (5.5"). The other two options are the moto g 2015 (budget might only stretch to the 8GB/1GB ram though), or the Samsung J5

Anyone use the Vodafone smart prime 6 or smart ultra 6? My son is looking for a new phone to replace his old lumia 520 and these two are on the shortlist. The ultra gets great reviews but is a big phone (5.5"). The other two options are the moto g 2015 (budget might only stretch to the 8GB/1GB ram though), or the Samsung J5
Have you looked at the Blu Life One X at $150? Pretty much a top-tier budget phone compared to the competition although the shipping time is quite long depending on when he needs the new phone.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0189RMNTG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Chris R

I will say I'm pretty disappointed with 6.0.1 battery performance on my Nexus 5. How WiFi can eat so fucking much battery when I have it turned off I'll never know. WiFi is set to only stay on when charging when not awake and I turned off WiFi location detection before you suggest that.

Probably just flash back down when I get home from vacation, having to carry a battery pack around when I'm away from an outlet for more than 6 hours sucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
£200. Better off with one of the Vodafone devices. That's almost what I paid for my G4.

Thanks, would you say they are a good choice? Any major differences between the prime and ultra? Prime is only £65 Payg and ultra is £115. Moto g 2015 is £89 but local stores don't have stock so they might be running out

Wreav

Banned
Even Samsung can't keep up with Samsung cameras.

s7-camera-specs-leak-303x540.jpg

Samsung comes out with a best in class camera, then promptly abandons it less than a year later. Gotta copy Apple at all costs!

kami_sama

Even Samsung can't keep up with Samsung cameras.

s7-camera-specs-leak-303x540.jpg

Samsung comes out with a best in class camera, then promptly abandons it less than a year later. Gotta copy Apple at all costs!

More megapixels doesn't always mean better photos. The Nexus 6P has a 13MP camera with great low-light performance, even without OIS.

Wreav

Banned
More megapixels doesn't always mean better photos. The Nexus 6P has a 13MP camera with great low-light performance, even without OIS.

6P/iPhone 6S cams are still worse than the S6 cam IMO, even though they are technically solid 12-13mp...I don't see what Sammy stands to gain here, except for a few pennies of material cost per phone.

this_guy

6P/iPhone 6S cams are still worse than the S6 cam IMO, even though they are technically solid 12-13mp...I don't see what Sammy stands to gain here, except for a few pennies of material cost per phone.

They're trying to improve their cameras? I don't see a problem with that.

krae_man

Something weird happened to my phone since Marshmallow. I lost the ability to connect it to my PC to move media files.

Eventually I figured out that there's an extra step now and I need to click on the notification and choose what connection type I want. Problem is, I still can't access the micro SD card in my phone. When I select FTP or whatever it shows both the internal memory of my phone and the card and accurately shows used/available space for both but when I click on the micro SD card, the folder is empty.

Internal memory shows up fine. Is there a step I'm missing?

Mindwipe

Hello, you wonderful people!

Question: Is there any way to add a gmail address to the gmail app without having to add it to the OS's account system, or do I have to download a third party email app?

I would make a second user account, but Samsung unfortunately removed that feature from the Lollipop update for my phone.

No, unfortunately as of Lollipop that's impossible.

Wreav

Banned
I see you in photography threads yet you complain about a drop in megapixels? Come on son.

And yet everyone loses their underpants over Sony 20mp+ sensors.

Get outta here. S6 cam was top 2 of all time (tied with G4, each having their own strengths, and NO, the 6P isn't in the conversation) and now they're iterating just to have new features.

They should have ridden that sensor for at least 2-3 years. No other OEM, save LG, was even in the conversation, including based Apple and their garbage 12mp camera. If Sammy really releases with a 12.2mp sensor, I hope it's better than their S6/Note5 one. But it won't be.

Groof gon Groof

JamzyT

Neo Member
Copying apple lol

Rumoured 1/2" sensor with larger pixels combined with samaungs processing should equal better low light shots.

Groof

Get outta here. S6 cam was top 2 of all time (tied with G4, each having their own strengths, and NO, the 6P isn't in the conversation) and now they're iterating just to have new features.

They should have ridden that sensor for at least 2-3 years. No other OEM, save LG, was even in the conversation, including based Apple and their garbage 12mp camera. If Sammy really releases with a 12.2mp sensor, I hope it's better than their S6/Note5 one. But it won't be.

Groof gon Groof

You should know better than that. MP =/= sensor quality.

Wreav

Banned
You should know better than that. MP =/= sensor quality.

I do know that's a general rule, but that's beyond reductive in relation to this subject. And I know that every attempt at the "bigger pixels/less pixels" experiments in mobile have been complete failures, and given the sweet spot they pulled off last year with low light and resolution, they shouldn't be bothering on unproven tech when they need an iPhone killer more than ever.

Whatever. Samsung is a weird company, and they'll flounder their way through 2016 just like last year. Just remember that the crown jewel of mobile photography was a phone with a 41mp sensor (cheating a little big with that big booty).

Doesn't matter. Put it in your spreadsheets. The new sensor will lose out to the old sensor in terms of well rounded quality across all situations.

this_guy

I do know that. And I know that every attempt at the "bigger pixels/less pixels" experiments in mobile have been complete failures, and given the sweet spot they pulled off last year with low light and resolution, they shouldn't be bothering on unproven tech when they need an iPhone killer more than ever.

Whatever. Samsung is a weird company, and they'll flounder their way through 2016 just like last year. Just remember that the crown jewel of mobile photography was a phone with a 41mp sensor (cheating a little big with that big booty).

That 41mp sensor was a much larger sensor than any other sensor being used. If Samsung is using the same sensor as the Nexus 6p/5x it's a bigger sensor than the one currently used by the Galaxy S6/Note 5.

Groof

All we have to go on is a megapixel number, unless I've missed something. Too early to say anything.

I get the point that they should have stuck with the previous sensor but that's not realistic. If anything stays remotely the same for more than a week in Android land the vocal XDA mouth breathers will throw a hissy fit.
and people in this thread

Laekon

After using Android Pay a few times this weekend I'm not sure why I didn't use it in the past. The finger print scanner is probably the main thing and the credit their really goes to Apple. They weren't the first but they brought out the best use for the tech. The new chip credit card processing in the US is really slow so using my 5X just seems easier. It's not about the time just the process is smoother.

JamzyT

Neo Member
All we have to go on is a megapixel number, unless I've missed something. Too early to say anything.

I get the point that they should have stuck with the previous sensor but that's not realistic. If anything stays remotely the same for more than a week in Android land the vocal XDA mouth breathers will throw a hissy fit.
and people in this thread

There was previous rumours prior to this that mentioned a 12mp sensor that is a larger than usual sensor at 1/2".
So it may add some credibility to this.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/11/03/galaxy-s7-could-tout-a-12mp-camera-with-a-large-12-inch-sensor/

Though it could be testing multiple prototypes as there's been rumours of a 20mp sensor also.

Wreav

Banned
I don't honestly think they'll put out a 12mp sensor, probably just a prototype variant. Samsung is positioning the S7 to be the Android world beater right now, and they won't compromise a precious check box on their way there. If they release a camera that takes as good of pics or better than the S6, has waterproofing, bigger battery, SD, wireless charging, biometrics, and ultra fast charge, they've secured the Lizard King status fairly handily.

Expect prices to be just as outrageous as the S6 at launch, though.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Dont know whats hard to believe about Samsung dropping 12mp.

/

Evleaks dropping his 2cents with this venturebeat article wrriten by him.

Displays

Further details about the two devices, tipped to feature largely the same design as the S6 generation, were also revealed to VentureBeat. Whereas last year’s pair of flagships had the same 5.1-inch display size, this year only the flat S7 variant will retain that screen diagonal. The S7 edge was said to offer a larger, curved display measuring 5.5 inches.

(Previous reports have variously put the latter handset’s display size at 5.7 inches — the same as last year’s S6 edge+ — but we were told that would be considered too large for a first-half companion to a 5.1-inch flagship model.)

Resolution will supposedly remain the same across both Super AMOLED screens, at 1440 x 2560 quad HD. One alleged difference this year is the inclusion of always-on display (AOD) functionality, enabling a glanceable screen (with the ability to show downloaded content), which is said to consume about one percent of the battery per hour.

Batteries

Speaking of batteries, the packs are set to address at least one criticism with 2015’s power implementation. While neither handset will bring back the ability for end users to replace batteries, both models are receiving a capacity bump: to 3000mAh and 3600mAh for the S7 and S7 edge, respectively (up from 2550mAh and 2600mAh).

Wireless charging time was revealed to be 2 hours for S7 and 2.2 hours for S7 edge.

Internals

VentureBeat was told that Samsung presented the phones as being powered by the new, homegrown Exynos 8 Octa 8890, a system-on-a-chip based partially on an ARM reference design, and offering four high-performance 2.3GHz cores along with four power-efficient 1.6GHz cores (as well as an integrated cellular baseband modem, which will enable alleged LTE Category 9 throughput).

However, it should be noted that Samsung often employs different CPUs for different regions, and other reports have tipped Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 820 SoC for use in North American S7 variants, at the very least. All regions, though, should see the same 4GB of RAM utilized, but only two storage options: 32GB or 64GB. (While a 128GB option was not mentioned, it may exist in select channels.)

Cameras

Finally, in a move that’s bound to cause some marketing headaches, the main camera sensor is supposedly “just” 12 megapixels, down from the 16 megapixels found in the S6 generation. But resolution is not everything, of course, and the module — coupled with an f/1.7 lens aperture (compared to f/1.9 on S6) — was tipped as being especially capable in low light situations.

Another upside, from some points of view, is that the rear camera lens should now be flush with the backside of the device, eliminating the sometimes-maligned “S6 hump.” The front-facing selfie cam was said to remain unchanged, at least concerning its five-megapixel resolution.

As it has for the past several years, Samsung will allegedly unveil the handsets prior to the 2016 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, in mid-to-late February. A global rollout was said to begin in March, in the initial colors of black, white, and gold.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/04/s...icrosd-water-resistance-and-larger-batteries/

kharma45

Thanks, would you say they are a good choice? Any major differences between the prime and ultra? Prime is only £65 Payg and ultra is £115. Moto g 2015 is £89 but local stores don't have stock so they might be running out

I'd lean to the Ultra for the 2GB RAM. 5.5" screen isn't all that big once you've used it for a few days. Bigger internal memory is nice as well, plus the better camera and SoC.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Oh this is a Blass leak?

Forget all these rumors, dude has been hilariously wrong lately.

Nah the screenshot about the 12MP isn't from him it originated from another person on reddit who leaked about the LG G5 the other week.

He just seems to agree with this.

But yeah I've been weary of Evleaks since the HTC fiasco.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Groof gon Groof

Why do you say this? What do you think Sammy will do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom