• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

There is supposed to be a larger s7 variant also coming at the same time as the s7 right? That seems the way to go if it is true.

I think the rumors are that the S7+ is probably going to launch around the time the Note 6 does, probably a bit earlier. It's either a 5.1" S7 or a 5.5"(or 5.7") S7 Edge.

Nothing too exciting there. Spec bumps for all. I've been really disappointed with how slow they are at updates even this late in the game. I still find touchwiz to be mostly garbage though Nova helps that as much as it can...I feel like Android flagships in 2016 are all going to be EXTREMELY similar.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bring back wireless charging as standard.

looks like the resolution war is over.

Sony is still here

everyone.jpg

Rizific

if im looking to upgrade to a new phone on verizon, what phones should i be looking at? ill be coming from a moto x 2nd gen, and id like to keep the screen size around the same. although ive held the new note and kind of didnt mind the size, so phablets arent completely out of the question. not in a rush to upgrade, so upcoming phones (i have no idea whats coming) are also fair game.

So the first Snapdragon 820 phone is announced today, from LeTV no less.

It's too early IMO to judge the S7 camera's (megapixel) downgrade.
More interested in the quality of 4k video and the new Samsung custom cores in the SoC.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung has the best camera on a phone, they already have a winning formula, not sure why they are going to mess with it rather than just refine it.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, got myself a new toy:

After Android on mobile, tablet, Wear and now this, I feel like I should take apart my car and put Android in it as well, it only seems fair.

Anyways, anyone here have Android TV recommendations for apps, games, etc?

Also, I don't think this exists, but does anyone know if there's some kind of app that connects Philips Hue to Android TV natively? Would be awesome if I could get some sort of Ambilight action through Android TV.

Aiii

So not worth it
I really want the new iPhone particularly for http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1166294

Please Google follow suit with Nexus 2016. No ugly ports. The fewer ports, the better. I'd be so happy.

You were wrong there, and you are still wrong here.

To quote a post from that very thread:
"Apple wants you to use wireless, join us in the future", OP says, while simultaneously admitting Bluetooth headphones are mediocre at best and ignoring the reality that every high-end headphone made in the past billion years uses the 3.5mm headphone jack and there is no clear standard available either through Apple or anyone else that's any better, especially not Lightning and Bluetooth.

The 3.5mm jack isn't old dated shit. It's the best way to hook up headphones. It's still used despite being decades old because it works extremely well. There is no better alternative being proposed by Apple.

Nothing too exciting there. Spec bumps for all. I've been really disappointed with how slow they are at updates even this late in the game. I still find touchwiz to be mostly garbage though Nova helps that as much as it can...I feel like Android flagships in 2016 are all going to be EXTREMELY similar.

Sounds like another skip year.

But the S7 sounds pretty great, actually. 3,000 mAh battery and wireless charging. Might be my next phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You were wrong there, and you are still wrong here.

To quote a post from that very thread:
Well, here's how we fix wireless and get the conversation started.

Plus, Apple Watch uses Bluetooth. I guarantee Apple also knows bt is garbage. They're likely working on some sweet wireless protocol. Maybe they'll open it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, I'm not replacing my Momentum 2.0 Over-ear's because Apple decides it wants to save a few bucks and get rid of a perfectly great working standard just because.

Apple knows how to sell 40 dollar accessories, that's why they're doing this.

Bboy AJ, stop riling up the people in OT with your talk of Apple removing the headphone jack from the next iPhone.

What's actually going to happen if Apple removes headphone jack is everyone will bitch about it, and millions of people will buy it anyways, and Apple's stock will go up. Then people will all spend $50 to buy a proprietary adapter for Lightning to headphone like the old shitty HTC phones used to have when they combined headphone onto the USB port, bitch about it, and Apple's stock will go up more. Eventually Apple's stock will go up enough that I'll finally be able to retire to an island in the Caribbean and spend the rest of my days peacefully sitting on a beach watching the sunset while listening to my Android phone using my headphones connected to the headphone jack.

The End.

Bboy AJ, stop riling up the people in OT with your talk of Apple removing the headphone jack from the next iPhone.

What's actually going to happen if Apple removes headphone jack is everyone will bitch about it, and millions of people will buy it anyways, and Apple's stock will go up. Then people will all spend $50 to buy a proprietary adapter for Lightning to headphone like the old shitty HTC phones used to have when they combined headphone onto the USB port, bitch about it, and Apple's stock will go up more. Eventually Apple's stock will go up enough that I'll finally be able to retire to an island in the Caribbean and spend the rest of my days peacefully sitting on a beach watching the sunset while listening to my Android phone using my headphones connected to the headphone jack.

The End.
Lol. This is amazing, and you are completely correct.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well, here's how we fix wireless and get the conversation started.

Plus, Apple Watch uses Bluetooth. I guarantee Apple also knows bt is garbage. They're likely working on some sweet wireless protocol. Maybe they'll open it.

Ditch your BT 1.0 gear you fucking Luddite. Your rich. Get some BT 4.X gear and join us in the future.

Wreav

Banned
Seeing really good impressions of the V10, but the idea of that ticker being at the most inaccessible one handed location just screams terrible to me. Guess folks aren't having that big of an issue with it.

BiggNife

Damn, I must be doing something wrong with Google Rewards...

I checked my history and have gotten 2 surveys in the last 2 months. I don't think I ever fell for the fake surveys either (except maybe once a while ago, but I got plenty of surveys after that one).

I deleted the app and reinstalled it and signed in with my alternate Gmail account, so hopefully I'll start getting more with this one.

Make sure you have location sharing on. The majority of surveys I've gotten have been because I've passed by certain stores during my commute or when I'm doing errands.

It's weird, for a few months straight I used to get surveys all the time on my nexus 9 + android phone but the past month I've gotten nothing. Not a single survey on any device.

Wreav

Banned
Any of you cats fuck with smart home stuff?

Got myself a Smartthings hub for Christmas, and have been adding in-wall switches and zwave bulbs. It's pretty damn slick, and apparently even more powerful with Android controlling it behind the scenes, with the likes of IFTTT.

Having the lights on when I get home in the dark is baller as hell. Really wish they'd tie in some integration to my Arlo camera system that I went all in on, though.

It's weird, for a few months straight I used to get surveys all the time on my nexus 9 + android phone but the past month I've gotten nothing. Not a single survey on any device.

I've been wondering about this since yesterday. In November and December I used to get surveys basically every day until around Christmas. In December alone I made almost 5 bucks, but then I stopped getting them at all after the 18th. I'm not really bothered by it, because there's nothing worth to spend it on, but it's definitely weird.

Any of you cats fuck with smart home stuff?

Got myself a Smartthings hub for Christmas, and have been adding in-wall switches and zwave bulbs. It's pretty damn slick, and apparently even more powerful with Android controlling it behind the scenes, with the likes of IFTTT.

Having the lights on when I get home in the dark is baller as hell. Really wish they'd tie in some integration to my Arlo camera system that I went all in on, though.

I don't, but I can recommend you the IoT podcast. It's mostly about the smart home/appliances/IFTTT and really interesting to listen to, even though I have no interest in buying that kind of stuff right now.

http://iotpodcast.com/

reKon

Banned
damn, some of you are getting shitted on in that iPhone headphone jack thread, lol. Thankfully we're all blessed for you to keep most of your bitching contained in this thread.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Sorry folks, but we have yet another bout of details about the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge to share with you. These details come from a source inside the supply chain, and confirm many of the things we have heard until now.

Yes, there will be a microSD slot on both phones, as a leak earlier today reiterated. The screen sizes are also confirmed to be 5.1-inch and 5.5-inch on the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, which means Samsung has taken inspiration from its fiercest competitor (which took inspiration from the Korean giant when it launched a 5.5-inch version of the world’s most popular smartphone) and wants to please fans of both small and large phones at the same time. You will be able to opt for a large Galaxy S flagship instead of waiting for the next Note or settling for a non-flagship phablet, or give up the Edge screen to get a smaller screen size.

In terms of pricing, there isn’t much change compared to the Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 edge/S6 edge+. The 32GB models of the S7 and S7 edge will be priced at Euro 699 and 799 respectively (the 64GB models should be priced around Euro 70-80 higher, though our source didn’t say so). The two phones will be announced in February; our source says they will go on sale during the same month, which would be faster than even the Note 5 and S6 edge+ if the rumored February 20 date of the Unpacked event is correct.

We tend to believe what our sources tell us, and while we are willing to do the same in this case (this source has offered solid information in the past), don’t forget to keep the salt container handy. We are working to get more information on Samsung’s next big (and bigger) thing, and will continue to report on information from both ours and others’ sources.
http://www.sammobile.com/2016/01/05...rosd-slot-pricing-and-screen-sizes-confirmed/

tim.mbp

Custom ROMs are generally pretty safe from malware and keyloggers type shit, right? I installed one from xda on my Kindle Fire HDX and the ROM scene is kind of new to me.

Make sure you have location sharing on. The majority of surveys I've gotten have been because I've passed by certain stores during my commute or when I'm doing errands.
Yeah, I have it on pretty much all the time, but the fact that I'm not commuting for work anymore (used to commute 2 hours a day, but now I work from home) probably has something to do with it.
But on the other hand, I went to a ton of stores and malls around the holidays and still didn't get any.

Hopefully by having my alternate Gmail account on Google Rewards on my Phone, and my main on on my tablet I might get some additional surveys that way. Of course I'll probably have to use my alt account rewards just for movie rentals and my main account for apps and actual purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom