• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

I'm with AJ on this one. Mostly because I won't be upgrading my phone for the next couple of years and I know that there will be a better solution coming. It has to come. Apple is the company with the balls and knowledge to make something like this work for the better, so it will be fun to see how it goes.

I'm with AJ on this one. Mostly because I won't be upgrading my phone for the next couple of years and I know that there will be a better solution coming. It has to come. Apple is the company with the balls and knowledge to make something like this work for the better, so it will be fun to see how it goes.

How much you wanna bet 90% of the people buy it, then realize later on there's no headphone jack?

zewone

They won't care. It will come with earphones they can use.

Trash-tier.

It blows my mind that people can't/won't spend $15-20 more and get headphones that are a huge step up from the pack in garbage.

XiaomiPiston3.jpg

Android 4.0 Lollipop added support for the industry standard USB Audio.

Android phones haven't *needed* a headphone jack in years.

I've even used my Sony PS3 BT Headphones with UISB dongle attached to a USB Host adapter for this purpose before... just to confirm that it worked...

Mega

Banned
Hi everyone. I've had a LG Nexus 5 since launch, so a little over 2 years. In that time the battery life has gone from bad to worse and needs charging midday after light browsing. I constantly have to delete apps and videos to prevent out of space notifications. Tech-wise it does everything else quite well so that I'm not too concerned with very high-end internal specs for apps and games. I'm basically looking for a new phone with practical requirements:

-excellent battery life
-64GB of storage OR micro SD
-decent camera
-not a phablet
-1080p is fine
-2 to 3GB of memory
-$300-350? (Flexible on this)

What are the best options for me? The Xiaomi Mi 4C seemed almost perfect except I'm worried about being constrained to 32GB again. I also know the micro SD support situation is slim pickings and getting worse. What do you all recommend? Thanks.

Hi everyone. I've had a LG Nexus 5 since launch, so a little over 2 years. In that time the battery life has gone from bad to worse and needs charging midday after light browsing. I constantly have to delete apps and videos to prevent out of space notifications. Tech-wise it does everything else quite well so that I'm not too concerned with very high-end internal specs for apps and games. I'm basically looking for a new phone with practical requirements:

-excellent battery life
-decent camera
-not a phablet
-1080p is fine
-2 to 3GB of memory

What are the best options for me? The Xiaomi Mi 4C seemed almost perfect except I'm worried about being constrained to 32GB again. I also know the micro SD support situation is slim pickings and getting worse. What do you all recommend? Thanks.

you don't want 2GB of memory that's a paddling

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I did not expect my thread to go beyond a page, let alone 1000 posts. What a surprise

It will be a magical thread to revisit in... Three or four years.

Jigolo

-excellent battery life
-decent camera
-not a phablet
-1080p is fine
-2 to 3GB of memory

OnePlus 2 looks like something for you

wilflare

hmm how do I know if doze is running on my Nexus 6P?
any tips and tricks to share for the Nexus 6P to ensure it runs smooth, fast and long (battery life)
- e.g. any app I should disable/freeze/debloat?

do you guys keep the Location toggle turned on? Is it still a battery killer? it's pretty useful I guess but hmm

zewone

It blows your mind that people don't want to pay extra for something they dont' need?

If you don't need/use the headphones provided then sure.

If you use the Apple headphones for listening to music on a regular basis you're doing yourself a disservice and blowing my mind.

Better?

Noema

-excellent battery life
-decent camera
-not a phablet
-1080p is fine
-2 to 3GB of memory

Moto X play has a 3660mah battery. It's not a high end phone but it pretty much fits all your requirements.

Only problem is it's not really available in the US, if that's where you live,though Verizon sells a rebranded version known as the Droid Maxx 2.

Reckoner

Woah

Joshua Topolsky going to Fallon tonight. I miss the times where he would go there to show the latest hot tech. Last time I remember, he was there showing the Palm Pre and Quest Love was hype about it. Fun times.

Woah

Joshua Topolsky going to Fallon tonight. I miss the times where he would go there to show the latest hot tech. Last time I remember, he was there showing the Palm Pre and Quest Love was hype about it. Fun times.
Does this guy even have a job anymore? He left the verge because the verge sucks. He got fired from Bloomberg for being a hipster (and bloomberg started doing better afterward).

Not even sure what he does now.

New leak shows S7 with micro-usb. Excuse me while I ROFL.

I'll laugh hard as fuck if there's no usb c

Honestly the G5 sounds more impressive so far.

Honestly the G5 sounds more impressive so far.

Just read the rumors and it's supposed to have a full Metal body. Oh well, meanwhile I'll keep fighting the shit fight and wait for a new phone with wireless charging. Hopefully the S7 bombs as much as the S6, so I can get one for 400 bucks in Q3 next year.

Noema

January security update is out for Nexus devices.

Good god the Honor 5X is absolutely insane for the $200 price tag. That full metal build quality alone puts most flagship devices to shame.

It looks like an awesome device for the price. It's comparable to the Moto X Play, except made of aluminum, with a finger print sensor and $100 cheaper (albeit a smaller battery, but 3000mAh is still generous). Well, that and the UI which I assume will be the same EmotionUI other Huaweis use?

This and the Blu Life One X are just truly disruptive devices. I'm interested in seeing what the next ZenFone looks like.

CronoShot

What's even the point of Type-C that smartphones MUST have it right now?

People always say "future proofing", but Type-C won't even be the standard for another year or so, and even then micro USB will still be common. By the time Type-C becomes fully prevalent, you'll probably have another phone.

I mean, yeah it's reversible and that's handy, but that's not exactly must have tech.

Basically, it's nice to have, but it's not necessary yet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

People always say "future proofing", but Type-C won't even be the standard for another year or so, and even then micro USB will still be common. By the time Type-C becomes fully prevalent, you'll probably have another phone.

I mean, yeah it's reversible and that's handy, but that's not exactly must have tech.

It will never be necessary with that attitude.

Won't have to deal with proprietary Qualcomm quick charge as well as faster transfer speeds. It's not needed no, but the quicker we stop using crappy type-A and type-B, the better.

Just read the rumors and it's supposed to have a full Metal body. Oh well, meanwhile I'll keep fighting the shit fight and wait for a new phone with wireless charging. Hopefully the S7 bombs as much as the S6, so I can get one for 400 bucks in Q3 next year.
doesn't the 820 support wireless charging through metal? I may have made that up but I recall that being a thing. Someone can correct me.

wilflare

Type-C enables faster charging I think? And reverse charging.

And I think faster transfer speeds?

That's basically all.

Faster-charging yes - when it's Type-C to Type-C, it allows for 3A
Faster Transfer Speeds - no. It depends whether it's on USB2 or USB3

Nexus 6P charges at 3A but transfer USB2 speeds

USB Type-C is way more than just a reversible connector

doesn't the 820 support wireless charging through metal? I may have made that up but I recall that being a thing. Someone can correct me.

It might do that, but it doesn't matter if no phone supports it. I also still seem to live in 2015, because I said I'd get the S7 "Q3 next year" when I actually meant Q3 this year.

Damn. In less than 6 months my Nexus 5 is going to turn 2 years old. That the longest I've owned a smartphone. E: Looking at it, I'm not even sure it's going to survive that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom