• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

Does this guy even have a job anymore? He left the verge because the verge sucks. He got fired from Bloomberg for being a hipster (and bloomberg started doing better afterward).

Not even sure what he does now.

I'll laugh hard as fuck if there's no usb c

Honestly the G5 sounds more impressive so far.

No way, Josh Top is no longer with Bloomberg?! That sucks, I always root for the guy. I think he wanted a stable job as he started his family.

GhaleonEB

My daughter's 2nd generation Nexus 7 appears to have bricked this evening. It started an update this morning, and got hung up at the updating screen (all black with a row of colorful icons changing shape). It was stuck there all day, and just now turned off. It won't turn on.

Is it salvageable? Google is telling me it's basically toast, but I thought I'd ask.

Assuming it's toast, did she lose all of the content (games) that were on it, or can they be re-downloaded to another Android tablet through her account?

zewone

My daughter's 2nd generation Nexus 7 appears to have bricked this evening. It started an update this morning, and got hung up at the updating screen (all black with a row of colorful icons changing shape). It was stuck there all day, and just now turned off. It won't turn on.

Is it salvageable? Google is telling me it's basically toast, but I thought I'd ask.

Assuming it's toast, did she lose all of the content (games) that were on it, or can they be re-downloaded to another Android tablet through her account?

The games are tied to her Google account. She can redownload them on any Android device.

Esqueleto

Banned

That happened to mine a couple weeks ago. The only fix is to replace the motherboard.
I haven't bothered fixing it since most of my saves are gone now and it will happen again anyways.

As soon as she logs in to another device, it should ask her if she wants to redownload all the apps she had on her nexus. If she skips that or it doesn't ask, the play store has a section for all the apps you have downloaded. It can be annoying to go through though because there are no filters on that list.

The worst part of Android gaming right now is unless your game is using Google Play Games API for cloud backup of saves, all your progress is toast if you lose your device.

People who played hundreds of hours of Angry Birds variants back in the day got some pretty rude awakenings when they upgraded their devices.

try booting to recovery which on a nexus 7 I think is holding down power and volume down.

If that doesn't work then yeah it's most likely screwed. She can get her stuff back by using her google account next time.

As someone who doesn't want to wear something on the head, around my neck or have something in my ear canal, my options for native wireless solutions are next to zero.

GhaleonEB

Thanks for the replies.
try booting to recovery which on a nexus 7 I think is holding down power and volume down.

If that doesn't work then yeah it's most likely screwed. She can get her stuff back by using her google account next time.

Yeah, that doesn't work. The only sign of life is a blinking light when it's plugged in, but I can't get it to turn on. She'd dead, Jim.

Good news is she got an iPhone for Christmas so she's not too busted up about it, but we'll get a replacement sooner or later. Thanks!

reKon

Banned
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, that doesn't work. The only sign of life is a blinking light when it's plugged in, but I can't get it to turn on. She'd dead, Jim.

Good news is she got an iPhone for Christmas so she's not too busted up about it, but we'll get a replacement sooner or later. Thanks!

The $200 Zenpad might be a good replacement.

Esqueleto

Banned
Thanks for the replies.

Have you tried charging it for a couple ? I only got the white light when I let it run out of juice and didn't use it for a while. When the memory is fried, it still boots but gets stuck on the Google logo.

Mindwipe

Thanks for the replies.

That's just out of battery, not fried. As Esqueleto points out, the Google logo still comes out from the bootloader (or there's no power at all) if it's dead. Sometimes the N7 is very fussy rebooting when it's completely out of juice, and needs several hours of charging and the power button holding down for about a minute before it will reboot.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Have you tried charging it for a couple ? I only got the white light when I let it run out of juice and didn't use it for a while. When the memory is fried, it still boots but gets stuck on the Google logo.

That's just out of battery, not fried. As Esqueleto points out, the Google logo still comes out from the bootloader (or there's no power at all) if it's dead. Sometimes the N7 is very fussy rebooting when it's completely out of juice, and needs several hours of charging and the power button holding down for about a minute before it will reboot.

This!

Leave it on the charger for a long while. Then come back to it. Try just normal powering on or holding the power for like 30 secs if that doesn't work.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just upgraded from a Moto G 1st Gen to a Vodafone "Smart Ultra 6"

Holy smokes does this thing rock for it's price, so pleased!

ctfg23

You might have gotten one with shit battery life. I can't get more than 3.5 hours SOT but i'm too lazy to exchange it.
Shit. I'd rather not have to switch mine. Are the ones with shitty battery life common?

Edit: I just realized I had the GPS on high accuracy and just changed it to battery saving. Hopefully that helps.

Using anything location based on android sucks up battery more than any other OS I've noticed. Throw on an app like tinder and you will see your percentage dropping literally by the minute. Obviously dependant on battery size but still.

Husker86

How is the Huawie watch? I'm thinking of that or the Samsung Gear S2 Classic.

I'm happy with mine. I basically wanted some sort of wearable for fitness and splurged for the Huawei Watch because I want to look into Android Wear development.

As nice as the Gear S2 is, I wouldn't ever buy a non-Android Wear smartwatch (or Apple Watch if I were a heavy iPhone user).

23qwerty

ugh i really want a pixel c for some reason. I'm not even sure why, it just looks so good. I've got a 6p so it's not like my phone is tiny or incapable. what do I do!

ugh i really want a pixel c for some reason. I'm not even sure why, it just looks so good. I've got a 6p so it's not like my phone is tiny or incapable. what do I do!
get one and regret it, it's the only way you'll learn.

Also I vote gear s2, everything else is kind of embarassing to me. Gear S2 isn't that great either but it's cool.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Going from Sprint to Verizon.

Picking up Galaxy S6 Edge +

Yay or nay in regards to phone?

In the past I have had the:

HTC EVO 4G
HTC EVO 3D
Galaxy Nexus
HTC EVO LTE
Samsung Galaxy S5

I have big hands so a big phone is convenient.

Jzero

HTC EVO 4G
HTC EVO 3D
Galaxy Nexus
HTC EVO LTE
Samsung Galaxy S5

The edge is mega skinny so it will feel weird with big hands.

snacknuts

we all knew her

HTC EVO 4G
HTC EVO 3D
Galaxy Nexus
HTC EVO LTE
Samsung Galaxy S5

I'd recommend the Nexus 6P over the Galaxy, but that's still a great choice.

wilflare

Shit. I'd rather not have to switch mine. Are the ones with shitty battery life common?

Edit: I just realized I had the GPS on high accuracy and just changed it to battery saving. Hopefully that helps.

do you guys really leave that location setting on all the time?

I want to switch to Battery Saving but it seems to want to use that wifi scanning and Google Location Service thingum

HTC revenue

UVKZDfa.jpg

Are they even doing the One M10?

Fatalah

I fired up my 2013 Moto X yesterday, and it's smooth as hell. I just realized it has 2gb of RAM, the same as my new Nexus 5X.

The OG Moto X was a special device - so much thoughtful effort into the phone. Anantech was thoroughly impressed by it.

I will miss that Motorola team. Google-rola was something special. Goddamnit.

j-wood

Is there an EQ out there for Nexus 6 that is on the level of Viper, but doesn't require root? I can't root my phone for work purposes, but god I need an EQ. The audio sounds like shit in my car.

I've tried the one that is built into the OS, but turning it on lowers the max volume for some stupid reason. It also isn't great. I've tried a few from the app store, but they do the same volume lowering.

I dunno, I had the 2013 Moto X. I loved the form factor but nothing else was really all that great. Camera was dog shite, display was pretty bad (I came from a Nexus 5), OK Google constantly triggered in my pocket so I had to disable it... Looking back, it's kinda sad Moto went the way of giant, ugly ass phones now. The new Moto X looks like one of those prepaid phones in plastic packaging that you buy at 7-11.

Quixzlizx

I almost never use my phone's camera, but I've had to use it the last few months to take photos of receipts for business expense reports. With my old Nexus 4, I used to have to take off auto-flash and crawl underneath my desk and spend 10 seconds focusing to take each photo because the fluorescent lights in my office would cause too much glare in the camera.

With the Life One X, I didn't have to change any settings, every shot focused immediately, and they all came out clear enough. Feels good no longer having a struggle camera, and it's funny how a $99 phone's camera so outclasses a flagship from 3 years ago.

I almost never use my phone's camera, but I've had to use it the last few months to take photos of receipts for business expense reports. With my old Nexus 4, I used to have to take off auto-flash and crawl underneath my desk and spend 10 seconds focusing to take each photo because the fluorescent lights in my office would cause too much glare in the camera.

With the Life One X, I didn't have to change any settings, every shot focused immediately, and they all came out clear enough. Feels good no longer having a struggle camera, and it's funny how a $99 phone's camera so outclasses a flagship from 3 years ago.

3 years a is a long time, especially in technology.

this_guy

The Nexus 4 camera was considered bad when it was released.

ukas

Ignore the haters that don't own one. I have one and love it. The keyboard isn't necessary but I have one and it's nice. What are you coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom