• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
200px-N80.jpg

Nokia N80

:3

NeOak

Code:
[img]http://cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-n75-00.jpg[/img]
Nokia N75

Had my emails and everything there. Sometimes I miss that clamshell.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
To be fair my previous phone to my Focus was the Moto Razr, and I had the chance to have Opera Mini as well as mail. It wasn't really a smartphone though.

this_guy

I'm waiting for that Moto X 2016 personally. Here hoping Moto/Lenovo got the battery right this time.

I have the 2015 Moto X pure edition. Battery life is very good - about 4.5 hours of screen time for me. Blows away the Nexus 5x and Galaxy S6 that I used previously. I do miss having a finger print sensor though.

I'm hoping for the 2016 model to go back down in size (unlikely) and add a finger print sensor. Moto's cameras aren't crap any more which was my biggest complaint in previous years.

this_guy

Had a Motorola Q (buggy Windows Mobile phone that kind of resembled a Blackberry), Blackberry Pearl, Palm Pre, Samsung Moment (first Android phone), then HTC Evo.

kharma45

My first smartphone. Feels like an eternity ago I had this. Nokia 5500 Sport in 2006

Nokia-5500-Sport.jpg

SD card slot. Some came with a massive 512MB card. Gesture controls for music, dust and water resistant, fitness tracking and Java apps!

Moved to the N82 the next year. Basically the N95 but slightly better. Xenon flash on board was cool

Bloodember

My first smartphone was the Motorola Q, hated it and switched to a Blackberry after 6 months. The Blackberry was Windows though, don't remember the model, I still have it though packed away.

Talon

Has anyone bought a phone off Amazon Warehouse? Looking at a Moto X Pure Edition but wasn't sure if I should trust the condition.
I've bought phones off there. Completely vary. Sometimes they're pristine. Sometimes they're crap with random scotch tape on the phone.

It's worth buying new.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Has anyone bought a phone off Amazon Warehouse? Looking at a Moto X Pure Edition but wasn't sure if I should trust the condition.
Return it if junk.

What the fuck at my new tag. I preferred my old one. Oh well, at least people will know I invented the death of aux

The first Z3 Compact I ordered from Warehouse was an Asian version, which confused the hell out of me when everything but my SIM worked on it. Pristine, though!

Didn't have an issue the second time.

Having bought tablets and stuff from Warehouse before, I've found their descriptions to be pretty accurate, and they'll work with you on returns if it's not up to snuff.

So with ATT running an unlimited data plan promo for DirecTV customers now, and with my VZW unlimited grandfather plan getting slapped with the extra $20 monthly fee since November, I'm considering coercing my family to switch and benefit from my dad's DirecTV subscription.

Since I have a Droid Turbo (absolutely love this ugly phone... hardware keys and bad camera be damned), I would need to purchase a new device I gather for best service (correct me if I am mistaken). Since I think this promo is limited time, I probably can't wait for the 2017 phones to start hitting. So, with the 'skip year' phones as my option, which would users recommend? I have loved the battery life and speed of my Turbo.

I'm leaning towards the 6P since I've been burned with carrier firmware updates for too long. I would also entertain the Galaxy line, Moto X, or any other options.

NeOak

So with ATT running an unlimited data plan promo for DirecTV customers now, and with my VZW unlimited grandfather plan getting slapped with the extra $20 monthly fee since November, I'm considering coercing my family to switch and benefit from my dad's DirecTV subscription.

Since I have a Droid Turbo (absolutely love this ugly phone... hardware keys and bad camera be damned), I would need to purchase a new device I gather for best service (correct me if I am mistaken). Since I think this promo is limited time, I probably can't wait for the 2017 phones to start hitting. So, with the 'skip year' phones as my option, which would users recommend? I have loved the battery life and speed of my Turbo.

I'm leaning towards the 6P since I've been burned with carrier firmware updates for too long. I would also entertain the Galaxy line, Moto X, or any other options.

If you want a keyboard, a Blackberry Priv is your only choice. I did like it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169SNI3C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

images

This beast right here.

I had that after I went from my N75 to an N-Gage QD (lol), then got an E71. That thing had the best battery life of any smartphone, and the signal strength was god like.

ZeroRay

Got my gold 6P. 64GB

Was debating on waiting for the 820 or jumping onto this. Decided I preferred Nexus and couldn't wait till fall for the new one.

Coming from the 5, it's a huge upgrade (lol huge). Main issue now is finding some new apps to fill out the home screen lol.

Noema

Count me in among those whose first smartphone was the iPhone 3G.

It was an easy choice. The first iPhone was never officially released in my country (though I helped at least half a dozen friends jailbreak and unlock their imported OGs so they could use it here) and the iPhone 3G was released the same day here as it was in the States, for a heavily subsidized price. I was ecstatic, to say the least, when I got mine.

Overall I'd rate it as a disappointing device. It was more of a promise of what smartphones would become than a fully baked product. It was slow, third party apps were quite primitive, notifications were awful, the camera was abysmal. And finally it was rendered unusable by iOS 4, hammering the final nail on that coffin of 128MB of RAM and lethargic ARMv6 CPU. Also, 3G just raped that battery.

I'd say that the iPhone really came into its own in 2010 with the iPhone 4. Now that was a truly awesome phone. I used mine well into 2014 and I still have fond memories of it.

If you want a keyboard, a Blackberry Priv is your only choice. I did like it.

Sorry I should've clarified. The Droid Turbo doesn't have a hardware keyboard, just hardware home, back, and windows keys. When it came out the consensus was it was an ugly decision being a model adapted from the 2nd Gen Moto X.

I'm not interested in going back to a hardware keyboard but I appreciate the recommendation.

This was my first smartphone, look at that awesomeness.

Currently using a Nexus 5 and I love it, best phones I've ever used.

Even there it looks like the Verizon version got a smaller screen so that they could put that big and fat logo between the screen and the buttons.

Jzero

I fucking hate phones with side buttons that are centered. All the good car mounts always press the volume buttons on my past 3 phones.

Saiyan-Rox

Rinさとり;191951673 said:
So have anyone seen this?

Remix OS for PC ~ Android for PC with redesigned UI for a nice desktop experience with multitasking

Its based on Android x86 and can be run from usb and hdd

Its coming out today (12th)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledz0FTlzKA&t=28s

MCQ2ooC.png

Aren't these guys old Android devs from Google?

Funny how those guys can make a proper tablet/computer Android OS and Google can't/won't

The OS looks good tbh

NeOak

Sorry I should've clarified. The Droid Turbo doesn't have a hardware keyboard, just hardware home, back, and windows keys. When it came out the consensus was it was an ugly decision being a model adapted from the 2nd Gen Moto X.

I'm not interested in going back to a hardware keyboard but I appreciate the recommendation.
Oh.

Yeah, go for the 6P then. You'll get used to the on screen keys fast.

tzare

Aren't these guys old Android devs from Google?

Funny how those guys can make a proper tablet/computer Android OS and Google can't/won't

The OS looks good tbh

i may give it a tryl on my Stream 7. Windows is really difficult to use in small tablets.

SimleuqiR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom