• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignore the haters that don't own one. I have one and love it. The keyboard isn't necessary but I have one and it's nice. What are you coming from?

Where the nexus 9 performance falls flat is multiple profiles logged in at the same time. Any chance you could log in to the Pixel C then switch to another user (like a SO or friend) and load some apps up?

Everyone says nexus 9 performance is fine but those people dont share the tablet with other users. I would trade up to the Pixel C if it doesn't have this issue but have seen nothing in reviews mentioning it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Going from Sprint to Verizon.

Picking up Galaxy S6 Edge +

Yay or nay in regards to phone?

In the past I have had the:

HTC EVO 4G
HTC EVO 3D
Galaxy Nexus
HTC EVO LTE
Samsung Galaxy S5

I have big hands so a big phone is convenient.

Just get the Note instead. As another poster said the Edge can feel weird with big hands.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No one says Nexus 9 performance is fine.

Any good phones nowadays still have micro sd support and a removable battery? I'm still rocking a Galaxy S2 and call me old fashioned but they're kind of big selling points for me.

yeah every time there is an update it becomes a fine for a bit then goes to shit.

I'm going to replace mine when I get my bonus in a month or two.

Any good phones nowadays still have micro sd support and a removable battery? I'm still rocking a Galaxy S2 and call me old fashioned but they're kind of big selling points for me.
LG G4...or wait for the G5 coming out in a few months which should be ridiculous on all fronts if you're into that spec game.

My Samsung S6 can do everything under the sun.

Except for hit 1 on the keypad when PNC asks me to do that. Why is it that my phone can not phone correctly? :l

ukas

Where the nexus 9 performance falls flat is multiple profiles logged in at the same time. Any chance you could log in to the Pixel C then switch to another user (like a SO or friend) and load some apps up?

Everyone says nexus 9 performance is fine but those people dont share the tablet with other users. I would trade up to the Pixel C if it doesn't have this issue but have seen nothing in reviews mentioning it.

I'll have to try it out and let you know, but it definitely outshines the N9 performance wise.

yeah every time there is an update it becomes a fine for a bit then goes to shit.

I'm going to replace mine when I get my bonus in a month or two.

LG G4...or wait for the G5 coming out in a few months which should be ridiculous on all fronts if you're into that spec game.

Rather get the V10 TBH.

zatara

finally joined the 6p party, this graphite is sexy as fuck. Google needs to fix that double power to camera then lock my phone shit though

Fatalah

I fired up my 2013 Moto X yesterday, and it's smooth as hell. I just realized it has 2gb of RAM, the same as my new Nexus 5X.

The OG Moto X was a special device - so much thoughtful effort into the phone. Anantech was thoroughly impressed by it.

I will miss that Motorola team. Google-rola was something special. Goddamnit.

Motorola basically replied to me in an official statement:

Motorola said:
Motorola Mobility continues to exist as a Lenovo company and is the engineering and design engine for all of our mobile products. However, for our product branding we will utilize a dual brand strategy across smartphone and wearables going forward using Moto and Vibe globally. “Motorola” hasn’t been used on our products since the launch of the original Moto X in 2013.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone else use Ghostery? It shows how many trackers a site has. Lots of new auto gen referral links lately on here. More trackers on Neogaf than Verge. Seem like the site is being prepped for a sale?

No one on here maybe. The massive amount of fanboy idiots on the Android news sites would disagree.

I'll have to try it out and let you know, but it definitely outshines the N9 performance wise.

Thanks that'd be great. I would love to pick one up if it can hack it. Also, considering ditching my 5x for the 6p due to perfermance as well.

Its no wonder Google started designing their own cpus...

Just a heads up, but if anyone is wondering why their wallpaper keeps changing even when you set a wallpaper manually, it's because if Tapet. The latest update has the randomizer on by default.

HTC revenue

UVKZDfa.jpg

Are they even doing the One M10?

I'm pretty sure HTC is currently betting the company on the Vive.

Too bad they have Oculus Rift above them on the high end and PSVR below them on the consoles. However for some godforsaken reason Valve has thrown in with HTC and SteamVR is only for the Vive, so that alone might save HTC from a well-deserved death. Goddamit Gaben, couldn't you have picked a less shitty company to back? They better not fuck VR up for everybody.

23qwerty

I'm pretty sure HTC is currently betting the company on the Vive.

Too bad they have Oculus Rift above them on the high end and PSVR below them on the consoles. However for some godforsaken reason Valve has thrown in with HTC and SteamVR is only for the Vive, so that alone might save HTC from a well-deserved death. Goddamit Gaben, couldn't you have picked a less shitty company to back? They better not fuck VR up for everybody.
isn't the vive meant to be better than the rift?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought a moto g 3rd gen for my son - £89 Payg but didn't need to buy a top-up. He has a Vodafone sim already so that's fine. Only 8GB so he'll need a micro SD card but I have a bunch of those lying around the house anyway. Should be a decent upgrade from his lumia 520 :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Maybe. reportedly higherfield of view but possibly more noticeable screen door. Main selling points are the Motion controllers as standard (but oculus will sell some later in the year), and the lighthouse tracking units which allow for room scale tracking. Also likely to be more expensive.

It's an HTC product.

Although having Valve along as collaborators probably will change the usual equation of HTC product disappointment.

The real question most people have is how much better Rift CV1 is than DK2. For those who didn't know, the DK2 literally used the OLED screen and circuit board ripped out of a Galaxy Note 3 for it's display. So the DK2 is basically a non-factor for comparisons.

I feel like the battery life of my Xperia Z3 Compact has tanked since its last update. Kind of a bummer, since that was a big part of my getting one.

Considering getting something a bit bigger, maybe with a better camera. Would a Moto X Pure be a decent upgrade? Or should I hold out hope for an Android 6.0 update to hopefully fix the battery life (or at least be able to enable Doze), along with the obnoxious microSD transfer errors I'm constantly getting (since 6.0 ought to just recognize my card as internal storage)?

ukas

No one on here maybe. The massive amount of fanboy idiots on the Android news sites would disagree.

Thanks that'd be great. I would love to pick one up if it can hack it. Also, considering ditching my 5x for the 6p due to perfermance as well.

Its no wonder Google started designing their own cpus...

It seems like it handles user switching just fine from what I can see.

It seems like it handles user switching just fine from what I can see.

So to be specific I'm not talking about switching back and forth. That's not an issue. The issue is actually Trying to do simple tasks like web browsing, apps, etc when you have two user profiles logged in.

For example I will have all my apps up like gmail, chrome, hangouts etc and then my girlfriend will grab it and log in with her account. Once she's in she will go to apps like zillow, hangouts, Google search and the performance will be terrible. If I reboot it and go back in with just one account life will be good again.

ukas

So to be specific I'm not talking about switching back and forth. That's not an issue. The issue is actually Trying to do simple tasks like web browsing, apps, etc when you have two user profiles logged in.

For example I will have all my apps up like gmail, chrome, hangouts etc and then my girlfriend will grab it and log in with her account. Once she's in she will go to apps like zillow, hangouts, Google search and the performance will be terrible. If I reboot it and go back in with just one account life will be good again.

Correct. Some apps will refresh themselves when changing back and forth, but the actual overall performance doesn't seem to take much of a hit at all. I think the extra GB or RAM actually helps out quite a bit. I do wish they would have put in 4GB just for a cushion, but 3GB works rather well.

Correct. Some apps will refresh themselves when changing back and forth, but the actual overall performance doesn't seem to take much of a hit at all. I think the extra GB or RAM actually helps out quite a bit. I do wish they would have put in 4GB just for a cushion, but 3GB works rather well.

That sounds much better than the nexus 9. Thanks I may give the pixel c a look.

vinnay

Just ordered a note 5 32gb unlocked in black. Can't wait! Here's my smartphone history for fun:

iphone 3g
iphone 4
samsung galaxy nexus
iphone 5
iphone 6

Bboy AJ

Always interesting to see how most people's first smartphone was iPhone 3G.

Can someone explain adaptable storage in 6.0 to me? I am getting a 16GB Shield K1 Tablet with 64GB microSD card. If I treat the card as internal memory then does all apps get stored on the microSD card? Or does the OS determine where it goes at time of install?

yogloo

I feel like the battery life of my Xperia Z3 Compact has tanked since its last update. Kind of a bummer, since that was a big part of my getting one.

Considering getting something a bit bigger, maybe with a better camera. Would a Moto X Pure be a decent upgrade? Or should I hold out hope for an Android 6.0 update to hopefully fix the battery life (or at least be able to enable Doze), along with the obnoxious microSD transfer errors I'm constantly getting (since 6.0 ought to just recognize my card as internal storage)?
The marshmallow upgrade is good. I installed the concept software on mine. Battery life is back to or better than kit Kat.
Lollipop is simply horrendous.

EthanC

Banned
New to Android (Blu Life One X), but am having a rather interesting issue. None of the podcast apps I use (Pocket Casts and Podcast Addict) remember my place when I quit the app. For example if I listen to 20 minutes of a podcast, it will be be at the 1-3 minute mark when I return to it later. I only downloaded Podcast Addict because I thought it was a problem with Pocket Casts, but it's doing the same exact thing in Podcast Addict. Is there a setting in Android that controls this behavior?

Jigolo

New to Android (Blu Life One X), but am having a rather interesting issue. None of the podcast apps I use (Pocket Casts and Podcast Addict) remember my place when I quit the app. For example if I listen to 20 minutes of a podcast, it will be be at the 1-3 minute mark when I return to it later. I only downloaded Podcast Addict because I thought it was a problem with Pocket Casts, but it's doing the same exact thing in Podcast Addict. Is there a setting in Android that controls this behavior?
How do you exit the app? Back button or home button

Alucrid

Banned
i just realized i've been using apex launcher for like...4 years now. anything better that has come out so far? any suggestions for good icon packs?

Noema

i just realized i've been using apex launcher for like...4 years now. anything better that has come out so far? any suggestions for good icon packs?

Nova Launcher Prime offers an almost staggering amount of customization.

I'm not familiar with Apex so I can't say if it's better than Prime, but you could try the free version of the latter and take it for a spin.

Jacir

I have switched to BeyondPod and it has this feature. Check it out. Also, AntennaPod is a good alternative too.

Never had that problem using Pocketcast for the last few years.

Do you have multiple devices you're using? Maybe one of them is syncing and overwriting the progress of the other device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom