• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

oh shuuuuuut uuuuuup with this already. it's old

giphy.gif

Maybe this is old because I didn't read but no Moto E or G in 2016:

In an interview with Digital Trends, Chen Pudong, senior vice president of mobile at Lenovo, outlined a significant shift in strategy for the historic phone-maker. In 2016, the company will shift its focus to exclusively developing flagship smartphones that feature 5-inch and greater displays. Perhaps most significantly, as a part of the move, the Moto G and Moto E, both considered excellent phones at their respective price points, will not receive new iterations in 2016.

gl with that

So I'm up for an upgrade at work and I don't know if it's an AT&T thing but my choices are all pretty old phones. I'm currently using a Verizon LG G4 (so no 4G) and my choices are Galaxy Note Edge or Galaxy S5. I'm leaning towards the Edge more to just see what it's like and continue to use the LG G4 if I don't like it. While it bothers me not getting 4G I at least get HSPA so 10 Mbps regularly on the G4. One other option might be a Nexus 6 I can get from a friend for cheap. The last option is to buy my own but I really would rather avoid that...

Quixzlizx

Maybe Moto realizes they will be inevitably outclassed by the cheap Chinese phones on the low-end.

Although they're also outclassed by other brands on the high-end...

Two mornings in a row I wake up with my Nexus 5 with a low battery (5% yesterday, 21% today, at 7am when it was 100% at 11pm) with it showing the GPS was on, even though it is turned off in the settings. It shows Google Maps as using 12% of the battery though it was closed. I wokeup and put it on aeroplane mode to save battery at the time you see the WiFi and mobile signal cut out.

This isn't dozing.

Blitzhex

Anyone having gmail and steam chat notification problems on 6.0.1/Nexus 5? I'm hardly getting any gmail notifications and zero notifications from my secondary gmail account anymore. Steam chat just refuses to run in the background or send chat notifications.

NeOak

So I'm up for an upgrade at work and I don't know if it's an AT&T thing but my choices are all pretty old phones. I'm currently using a Verizon LG G4 (so no 4G) and my choices are Galaxy Note Edge or Galaxy S5. I'm leaning towards the Edge more to just see what it's like and continue to use the LG G4 if I don't like it. While it bothers me not getting 4G I at least get HSPA so 10 Mbps regularly on the G4. One other option might be a Nexus 6 I can get from a friend for cheap. The last option is to buy my own but I really would rather avoid that...
That's how it is for work accounts.

Get the Note Edge. It is a Note 4 with the curved screen. Much better than the S5 in how it feels when you hold it

That's how it is for work accounts.

Get the Note Edge. It is a Note 4 with the curved screen. Much better than the S5 in how it feels when you hold it

Yeah, they changed how we get phones, two years ago you could pick whatever you want but certain prices were approved by upper management. Now it's just you can only pick the ones they offer on our internal site. I was leaning Note Edge anyway, seems like something different than what I've had before.

XBP

It makes sense though doesn't it? Moto is their flagship lineup while the lenovo branding is for their budget phones. Moto is an established name, why not use that name and develop a more premium brand instead of competing in multiple spaces. This way they can utilize moto's supply channels for their low end phones and release high end ones as well.

CronoShot

Two mornings in a row I wake up with my Nexus 5 with a low battery (5% yesterday, 21% today, at 7am when it was 100% at 11pm) with it showing the GPS was on, even though it is turned off in the settings. It shows Google Maps as using 12% of the battery though it was closed. I wokeup and put it on aeroplane mode to save battery at the time you see the WiFi and mobile signal cut out.

This isn't dozing.
Android gonna Android.

ctfg23

You can tap on the 3dots and select 'not interested' for each recommendation you don't want.
It just gets greyed out and then comes back when I reopen the store. Later I'll check to see if I downloaded something for free that is causing the unwanted recommendations and delete it.

It just gets greyed out and then comes back when I reopen the store. Later I'll check to see if I downloaded something for free that is causing the unwanted recommendations and delete it.
That's normal. I think I've seen the greyed out ones eventually go away in the past. The more you tell Google you're not interested, it should learn about what you actually are interested in; at least in theory.

kami_sama

Fucking shit suck, my OPT screen just started flickering for no apparent reason. It doesn't do it while booting up or in the bootloader, so I don't know if it's a hardware problem, though (I hope not).

reKon

Banned
when am I getting marshmellow on my shit? don't me it's going to be March. That's a 5 month difference from when it was first announced. Lazy ass developers

Hasney

when am I getting marshmellow on my shit? don't me it's going to be March. That's a 5 month difference from when it was first announced. Lazy ass developers

I didn't realise they'd announced a release date for 'shit'. Must be a hard port, you should cut them some slack.

reKon

Banned
I didn't realise they'd announced a release date for 'shit'. Must be a hard port, you should cut them some slack.

My shit = Galaxy Tab S2 and Xperia Z3 Compact

Sony has actually been good updates to Lollipop. It's that transition between between the big releases that gets me.

If Nvidia releases an X1 tablet at a cheap price point, I'll probably sell my Tab S2 on Swappa and pick that up for the faster updates, class leading performance, and front speakers. I'd just hope that it's thinner than a Nexus 7 because the Tab S2 feels amazing to hold all the time.

yyzjohn

Banned

Sony has actually been good updates to Lollipop. It's that transition between between the big releases that gets me.

If Nvidia releases an X1 tablet at a cheap price point, I'll probably sell my Tab S2 on Swappa and pick that up for the faster updates, class leading performance, and front speakers. I'd just hope that it's thinner than a Nexus 7 because the Tab S2 feels amazing to hold all the time.

I have the Xperia Z3 and I don't know what the holdup is either. They have the "vanilla-like" marshmallow update already out there for certain beta users. By all accounts it's good, the regular marshmallow with the extra sony shit was also in testing way back in December so I would have thought they were close to releasing.

I bitched at someone at Google about how this *still* isn't part of stock just yesterday.

TouchWIz had that for years! Sense and whatever LG calls their shit nowadays too

Samsung updates their tablets last. so expect that in April-August. the Original Tab S got L in June.

NeOak

So, looking at that Blu Vivo Air LTE that is really thin. Amazon has it for $150 right now.

Yes, I know it will be forever 5.0.2. But I'm in a Band 2 & 4 LTE area, so it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom