• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

So...with recent sales and such I'm finally upgrading from old 16GB Nexus 4 to a 5X.

Now this only being my second android phone I'm wondering how the transfer process works, especially given I have 2nd factor enabled for Google and Lastpass. Do I need to disable 2nd factor before the switch for instance?

You go to your Google account settings->security page and select "move to a new device" for the Authenticator. You will get a new barcode and can scan it on your new device (and any other device if you want it on multiple).

Use your existing device to get the code when setting up your new one, or do the printed one time use password deal.

I now on tap as a replacement of the touch to search in chrome. I.e. the rare times I use opera and in some apps

Maaan filming for about a hour with the stock camera app murdered my battery without showing up in the battery monitor

Maybe this is old because I didn't read but no Moto E or G in 2016:

gl with that

"An interview with Lenovo SVP Chen Xudong has been strung out and splayed apart over and over again as bloggers translating the transcript have been left drawing some troubling conclusions."

Jesus fuck.

"Source: Sina Tech (Google Translate)"

That's why bloggers aren't journalists. What a bunch of a-holes.

"However, Chen only said that the Moto G will continue to face challenges in high-priced markets. Motorola later announced that the two phones would still be on the docket for 2016.

Motorola is also cleaning up other garble from the code switch about the G and E. It mainly involved talk of implementing fingerprint sensors and five-inch-plus screens onto the devices. After all, if ZTE can do it on the cheap, why not Moto by Lenovo? But it seems that:

Xudong was referring to products specific to the China market. We’ll share more information about our 2016 products at a later time."

http://pocketnow.com/2016/01/14/moto-g-fingerprint-sensor

Hah, the Snapdragon 650 is apparently more powerful than the 810.

2x Cortex A72 + 4 Cortex A53.

The 652 and the 820 are going to be beasts.

this_guy

Hah, the Snapdragon 650 is apparently more powerful than the 810.

2x Cortex A72 + 4 Cortex A53.

The 652 and the 820 are going to be beasts.

I'm guessing the gpu will be weaker than the 800 series, but for people who don't play 3d games on their phones this doesn't matter. That and maybe the gpu can do more camera effects (similar to how the Nexus 6p can do things the Nexus 5x can't because of having a faster gpu). Day to day use should be better though.

yogloo

I am a xiaomi believer for now on. My redmi note is an insane value for the price. Mid tier android is truly where exciting things happen.

3gb of ram is eye opening. I no longer experience reloads when I multitasked. At first, I thought I would get a downgrade in experience since I came from a z3c. But the user experience is actually better, how is this possible for 1/3 of the price?

Truly mind boggling.

It's why the low priced phones are the only ones doing well in Android. If you're gonna get late updates and shitty customer service and whatever else, you may as well pay less for it lol.

Though it's interesting because a year ago I would have sworn xiaomi will be the the one to lead into that future but it looks like their growth has completely halted. Huawei is the one for now.

yogloo

It is truly insane what they are able to pack in for the price. It is a looker too. It helps that they are aping iphone's design too. Everyone kept thinking it is some version of iPhone.

I'm guessing the gpu will be weaker than the 800 series, but for people who don't play 3d games on their phones this doesn't matter. That and maybe the gpu can do more camera effects (similar to how the Nexus 6p can do things the Nexus 5x can't because of having a faster gpu). Day to day use should be better though.

Yeah, maybe the GPU is gimped, but the 600 series now supports 4k recording and h.265 encoding, so IMO it's a big upgrade.

The bottom line, looking at the Kirin 950, is that the Cortex A57 is an absolute mess from a performance/power ratio. A72 is a massive upgrade.

I am a xiaomi believer for now on. My redmi note is an insane value for the price. Mid tier android is truly where exciting things happen.

3gb of ram is eye opening. I no longer experience reloads when I multitasked. At first, I thought I would get a downgrade in experience since I came from a z3c. But the user experience is actually better, how is this possible for 1/3 of the price?

Truly mind boggling.

Hardware-wise they're unbeatable for the price, in phones but also in smartbands and earphones.

Problem with Xiaomi is they release new models like there's no tomorrow. They announced the Redmi Note 3 Pro a couple of weeks after announing the Redmi Note 3. Anyone who bought the Note 3 is legit pissed.

And MIUI isn't for everyone.

reKon

Banned
Correct. They really do not give a shit about the US market for their phones, and they have demonstrated this time and time again

I think it's cheaper to just import from the UK, but for some reason that scares people off. I got my Z3 Compact from the UK at launch and everything was flawless.

I've even sent in my phone for repair in the US under the 1 year warranty, even though it was purchased from clove in UK and paid $6 of shipping. Got the phone back 4 business days after it was sent in...

At least that experience was good. They are definitely a joke in the US and keep missing opportunities.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People in Japan do not all have high tech phones. Interesting contrast from Korea, where everyone had an iPhone 6S within a week. Fascinating when you know most Koreans don't make any money.

No Love

Banned
Got Marshmallow on my LG G4.

Battery life still sucks. Maybe I need to give it time. 18% with 3 hour SOT. That's so shitty IMO.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HALP!

How do I remove this permanently? I only want to finger print to unlock, not touch THEN finger print-unlock!

HPDdum3.png

yogloo

Hardware-wise they're unbeatable for the price, in phones but also in smartbands and earphones.

Problem with Xiaomi is they release new models like there's no tomorrow. They announced the Redmi Note 3 Pro a couple of weeks after announing the Redmi Note 3. Anyone who bought the Note 3 is legit pissed.

And MIUI isn't for everyone.
I have to agree about the pro announcement. It really annoyed me. Is 650 much better than the mediatek inside the normal note 3?

Miui is better than any android customization I have ever used. I like that they didn't half assed the effort. They skinned everything and stick to a single theme. Nothing is out of place. I really like the consistency.

LeleSocho

Banned
I want to be a Xiaomi believer too but those poopheads don't want to release their stuff in Europe grrrrr
Pretty sure they would have achieved their 100mil goal if they had at least one or two of their phones here.

Hell i would buy one of their phones for giggles while i wait to build up money for an iPhone.

I have to agree about the pro announcement. It really annoyed me. Is 650 much better than the mediatek inside the normal note 3?

Miui is better than any android customization I have ever used. I like that they didn't half assed the effort. They skinned everything and stick to a single theme. Nothing is out of place. I really like the consistency.

Well the Mediatek is no slouch but the 650 seems to be faster than the 810s so yes it's quite an upgrade, particularly in single-thread operations.

But the Mediatek is still more than enough for everyday usage.

yogloo

Well. The announcement just got a whole lot more annoying. But are you sure it is faster than 810? 801, maybe?
Holy shit if 810.

The 650 hit 79000 in Antutu.

Antutu has revised their scoring method with version 6 so that confused me a bit. It's slightly slower than the 810 - Nexus 6P hits 85000. But this SoC shouldn't throttle like the 810.

The 652 (quad A72) should be quicker than the 810, cpu-wise, if Qualcomm doesn't gimp it.

And some people are reporting the Pro has a microsd/sim card hybrid slot

/smh.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is there any way to push messages from apps like WeChat and WhatsApp from one Android device to another (e.g. phone to tablet)? I got my mother a tablet since she wanted a bigger screen to use at home. I looked into PushBullet, but it seems they had to drop Android to Android a while ago due to bugginess, and have never re-implemented it. The two messaging apps apparently can't be used on two devices at once, and I think she'd still like to be able to use her phone for them as well.

ukas

Is there any way to push messages from apps like WeChat and WhatsApp from one Android device to another (e.g. phone to tablet)? I got my mother a tablet since she wanted a bigger screen to use at home. I looked into PushBullet, but it seems they had to drop Android to Android a while ago due to bugginess, and have never re-implemented it. The two messaging apps apparently can't be used on two devices at once, and I think she'd still like to be able to use her phone for them as well.

Mighty Text does texts to and from an Android phone to an Android tablet. I'm not sure about other apps though.

yogloo

The 650 hit 79000 in Antutu.

Antutu has revised their scoring method with version 6 so that confused me a bit. It's slightly slower than the 810 - Nexus 6P hits 85000. But this SoC shouldn't throttle like the 810.

The 652 (quad A72) should be quicker than the 810, cpu-wise, if Qualcomm doesn't gimp it.

And some people are reporting the Pro has a microsd/sim card hybrid slot

/smh.
God Damnit.

yogloo

For whatsapp, you can use Web whatsapp. I have no clue about we chat.

No Love

Banned
what were you getting before, that's on pace to hit 4hrs not bad for a qhd screen and a 3000mah battery.

Around the same ish. So tired of having to constantly charge this phone. I'm using Amplify to control warlocks, Greenify to handle programs... Still sucks. I hope the LG G5 is better and SD820 has beast battery life.

I don't even use crazy draining apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, etc. Just can't get 4-6 SOT like others.

kharma45

Got Marshmallow on my LG G4.

Battery life still sucks. Maybe I need to give it time. 18% with 3 hour SOT. That's so shitty IMO.

Try getting half that, as that's all I'm getting with mine. I'm varying between 1-2 hours, usually leaning towards for the former.

I'd love 3 hour SOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom